Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Pitt angry about ESPN game
SO#1 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Connecticut
Pitt angry about ESPN game
When UCF unveiled details of its 2006 football schedule in February, among the pearls was a Friday night home game with Pittsburgh, set for a national ESPN telecast.

But when the Panthers studied UCF's schedule, they got upset.

Schedule-makers at both schools had agreed to adjust an Oct. 14 game to Thursday or Friday to accommodate TV but only on the condition that both schools had the same number of days off before the game. One problem: A miscommunication between Conference USA and the Big East, both of which coordinate their schedules after TV partners weigh in, has left Pitt in a competitive disadvantage.

The Golden Knights have an Oct. 4 (Wednesday night) game at Marshall, then have eight days off before playing Pitt. The Panthers play a noon home game against Syracuse on Oct. 7; that gives them just five days off.

The two-day difference did not escape Pittsburgh's attention for long. Within a couple of weeks of UCF's Feb. 9 announcement, Pitt Athletic Director Jeff Long fired off a letter to UCF expressing his frustration for a breach of trust.

UCF officials acknowledge Long's point, saying Knights Coach George O'Leary never would have agreed to the game if he knew of the disparity.

Unfortunately for Pittsburgh, its disappointment probably won't carry the day because ESPN is involved. If the Panthers take a hard line and say they won't come to Orlando unless some changes are made, well, then they might not come at all. The Big East, C-USA and ESPN then would have to find a game for UCF.

The Knights don't think it'll get that far. And they're keeping their fingers crossed it won't.

More Mickle lore

In his eulogy of protege and friend Tom Mickle on Thursday, former Atlantic Coast Conference commissioner Gene Corrigan added more mystery to the lore surrounding Mickle's concoction of what became the Bowl Championship Series.

Mickle, who died at 55 last week in his office at Florida Citrus Sports, is credited with drawing up the tenets that blossomed into the Bowl Coalition (which begat the Bowl Alliance, which begat the BCS) on a napkin at a Lone Star Steakhouse in Greensboro, N.C., in the early 1990s.

Corrigan said he and deputies Mickle and Rick Chryst had a habit of gathering in his office after work hours. There they hashed out issues from A to Z, but he said the most attention was focused on "how to make the ACC better, what can we do."

One day, the three talked about ways to mix and match conference champions and bowl bids. The next morning, Mickle walked into Corrigan's office.

"He said, 'I came up with a few more thoughts on that,'" Corrigan said. "I saw his notes on paper. It's possible they started on a napkin somewhere."

Nice guys department

Kudos to Andre Miller, a former Utah guard who is donating $500,000 to his alma mater. Miller, now with the Denver Nuggets, earmarked $200,000 of his donation to go toward upgrading the locker rooms at the Huntsman Center; former Utah center Andrew Bogut got the project started when he donated $125,000 after he was drafted No. 1 overall in the draft by Milwaukee last year. The remaining part of Miller's donation will help endow basketball scholarships.

Hoop talk

In one of the weirder moves in recent years, Chicago State has pulled out of the Mid-Continent Conference and will go at it as an independent. The school decided it needed to be in a conference that had a more metropolitan feel (funny, considering the Mid-Con has teams in Indianapolis, Kansas City, Tulsa and the Detroit area). As bad as Chicago State has been -- 37 wins in the past five seasons -- at least the Cougars had a chance at an NCAA bid because of the Mid-Con tourney. As an independent, they have no shot.

G Blake Young, a former Oak Ridge and Daytona Beach CC standout, had no qualms about signing with new Kansas State Coach Bob Huggins, whose players historically haven't graduated at a high rate. "As long as I get there, I know I'm going to graduate," Young said. "It's important for me to try to get a degree. I know Coach Huggins still gives players opportunities. Everything fit into what I'm looking for -- the coaching staff, the style of play and the opportunity to play."

Interesting doings on the AAU trail. G O.J. Mayo, the top prospect in the class of 2007, is expected to play for the Miami Tropics this summer. Mayo goes to high school in Cincinnati. One of the Tropics' top players last year was Jason Bennett, a 7-3 center from Jacksonville's Arlington Country Day School who has signed with Kansas State. When Huggins was coach at Cincy, it was seen as a fait accompli that Mayo would be a Bearcat. The Tropics' coach is Art Alvarez. He was coach at Miami Christian when the school won the state Class A title in 2002, but Miami Christian was placed on probation the following season for recruiting violations. Alvarez then left high school coaching and started the Tropics, a Nike-sponsored team.

Going into the weekend, eight coaching vacancies remained (out of 51 changes). The biggest is North Carolina State's. Names said to be under consideration for the Wolfpack include UNLV's Lon Kruger, West Virginia's John Beilein, Fordham's Dereck Whittenburg (an NCSU alum) and ESPN analyst Steve Lavin.

Grid bits

Last season's inaugural ACC Championship Game received a prime-time slot on ABC. Not this season. The game will kick off at 1 p.m. on Dec. 2 in Jacksonville.

Nebraska held its spring game last Saturday. It drew a crowd of 57,415.

Utah State QB Jerod Walker, who started the last two games in 2005, was kicked off the team last week after he was charged with aggravated sexual assault in Logan, Utah. He would've been a sophomore this season.

The Ivy League is the only I-AA conference that doesn't allow its members to participate in any postseason games. The Ivy Council, a group of student government leaders representing the eight Ivy League schools, has passed a resolution asking league presidents to overturn the postseason ban.

Give it up for former Michigan WR Braylon Edwards, now with the Cleveland Browns. He is giving his alma mater $500,000 to endow a scholarship to whichever Wolverine wears No. 1, the jersey number he wore (so did WRs David Terrell and Anthony Carter, among others). If there is no No. 1, the scholarship will go to another player.

A Final Thought: Aug. 31 -- the first day of college football season -- can't get here fast enough.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/lo...-headlines
04-23-2006 08:17 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Shannon Panther Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Pitt

Donators

Pitt should start looking right now for a new opponent. This is a breach of contract. Leave them high and dry.
04-23-2006 08:42 AM
wvucrazed Offline
Heisman

I Root For: West Virginia

Pitt should schedule a 1-AA home game and leave UCF high and dry like they did to us last year.
04-23-2006 08:45 AM
Cubanbull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:

As I stated before UCF has been in conference for the last FOUR years,WHY havent they adjusted their OCC schedules? What are they waiting for,if they know they have too many until 2010 they should drop those other schools and give them time to find opponents.
04-23-2006 08:51 AM
Jugnaut Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF

That really sucks. I hope pitt will still come down to orlando. It sounds like its each conferences fault and not the schools involved as they make all the adjustments for tv. I know O'leary and the staff wouldn't have done this if they had knowledge that Pitt demanded an even number of days off. As the article said it was just a miscommunication between C-USA and the Big East.
04-23-2006 08:51 AM
Shannon Panther Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Pitt

Donators

The obvious fix is to move the UCF Marshall game to Saturday and give ESPN a different CUSA game for that Wednesday. Either that or Pitt will negotiate another appearance on ESPN to compensate them. It looks like CUSA made the mistake though.
04-23-2006 09:00 AM
Advertisement

Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Louisville

The real manly thing to do is quit crying like little sissy girls and just kick their asses on the field! Quit crying, its unmanly and is that a Yankee thing? People in the South would just make their point on game day by running up the score!
04-23-2006 09:07 AM
Jackson1011 Online

I Root For:

What....UCF breaking their word on a contract....those of us in WV are shokced ;-)

Jackson
04-23-2006 09:54 AM
CyberBull Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USF

Glimpse of Voting for BE #9 :

USF - No, obvious reasons and UCF continue to take shots at USF; see "cowgirls" comment by O'Leary the other night...
Pitt - No, getting screwed in scheduling just like....see below...
WVU - No, see Pittsburg; UCF's last visit to WVU left a sour taste in their mouths due to players taking cheap shots and thugging it up...
UL - No, Tom Jurich was one of USF's most vocal supporters for admission to the BE; adding CFLA potentially undermines this growth; UL also heavily recruits Florida so I doubt he wants TWO teams to compete with

Syracuse - yes; was ready to admit UCF as football-only back in 2003

Cincy -- Leaning toward no; no real indication either way but UC's President is very close to USF's and have historically have voted the same back in their CDOA days...

UCONN -- ? wildcard
Rutgers -- ? another wildcard; they also recruit Florida heavily but usually for 3rd or 4th tier players. There are plenty of those around and they can sell recruits on playing in Florida at least once if not twice per year;

Overall it doesn't look good for UCF and if the BE decides it needs to add a bowl friendly program Memphis or ECU would fit the bill better than UCF
04-23-2006 09:57 AM
Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Louisville

Good post with which I agree. 04-rock
04-23-2006 10:08 AM
The Knight Time Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:

Let me get this straight:

UCF bends over backwards to arrange 3 mid week games in a row for ESPN, agrees with Pitt to move the game to a Friday........and now Pitt is mad? That makes no sense.

Btw- the game before the Pitt games is also on ESPN the week before. Pitt would have had more than avaibility to the time and date of the game considering it was a conference game and already set BEFORE the Pitt game was moved to Friday.
04-23-2006 10:09 AM
Advertisement

The Knight Time Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:

Btw- this is most likely a CUSA scheduling blunder.........and I bet it is considering we're playing 3 friggin weekday games in a row.
04-23-2006 10:10 AM
goodknightfl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:

Shannon Panther Wrote:The obvious fix is to move the UCF Marshall game to Saturday and give ESPN a different CUSA game for that Wednesday. Either that or Pitt will negotiate another appearance on ESPN to compensate them. It looks like CUSA made the mistake though.

like it or not.....
espn is the driving force here... they want the UCF marshall game in mid week that would have been worked out between CUSA and ESPN.. probably with little or no knowledge of the agreement. Pitt is a BCS school... hell they should be able to play sat... and then play ucf an non bcs school on tuesday and still beat us...
04-23-2006 10:18 AM
goodknightfl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:

Cubanbull Wrote:As I stated before UCF has been in conference for the last FOUR years,WHY havent they adjusted their OCC schedules? What are they waiting for,if they know they have too many until 2010 they should drop those other schools and give them time to find opponents.

what has this to do with ucf's occ schedules... this has everything to do with the BE and CUSA and ESPN.
04-23-2006 10:23 AM
CatsClaw Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Cincinnati

I don't understand, it's a 2 day difference. I guess home field makes a difference, but if Pitt is as good as people say it really shouldn't matter.
04-23-2006 10:29 AM
KnightLight Offline
Legend

I Root For: UCF

Wilkie01 Wrote:The real manly thing to do is quit crying like little sissy girls and just kick their asses on the field! Quit crying, its unmanly and is that a Yankee thing? People in the South would just make their point on game day by running up the score!

It's laughable....what should teams do when their opponent had an OFF week the prior weekend?

With games played from Tues-Saturdays through-out the year (not even counting Sunday/Monday of Labor Day Weekend too)...with ESPN mostly calling the shots...this happens almost every week...when one team might be off completely....or another team might have 1 or 2 more days of rest.

In a perfect world...EVERY TEAM would play games ONLY on Saturday...but come on...this complaint is almost laughable.

Is Pitt REALLY scared of UCF?

KL

PS. Pitt should take a lesson from UL...who played several Thur and Friday night games for ESPN...against a few teams who were OFF COMPLETELY the week before.

I don't recall UL talking about any disadvantages....UL just wanted to be on National TV and kick someone's behind...and usually did.

It's about EXPOSURE.
04-23-2006 10:33 AM
Advertisement

tigersharktwo
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl

CyberBull Wrote:Glimpse of Voting for BE #9 :

USF - No, obvious reasons and UCF continue to take shots at USF; see "cowgirls" comment by O'Leary the other night...
WVU - No, see Pittsburg; UCF's last visit to WVU left a sour taste in their mouths due to players taking cheap shots and thugging it up...
UL - No, Tom Jurich was one of USF's most vocal supporters for admission to the BE; adding CFLA potentially undermines this growth; UL also heavily recruits Florida so I doubt he wants TWO teams to compete with

Cincy -- Leaning toward no; no real indication either way but UC's President is very close to USF's and have historically have voted the same back in their CDOA days...

UCONN -- ? wildcard
Rutgers -- ? another wildcard; they also recruit Florida heavily but usually for 3rd or 4th tier players. There are plenty of those around and they can sell recruits on playing in Florida at least once if not twice per year;

Overall it doesn't look good for UCF and if the BE decides it needs to add a bowl friendly program Memphis or ECU would fit the bill better than UCF
Rutgers and UCONN ARE NO VOTES
04-23-2006 10:33 AM
Quote this message in a reply
KNIGHTTIME Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: '17 Natty Champ

Shannon Panther Wrote:The obvious fix is to move the UCF Marshall game to Saturday and give ESPN a different CUSA game for that Wednesday. Either that or Pitt will negotiate another appearance on ESPN to compensate them. It looks like CUSA made the mistake though.

It sounds like UCF had no idea about Pitt's issue about playing on Wed against Marshall. ESPN wants the Marshall and Pitt game on T.V. We lose the T.V coverage with Marshall if the game is moved to Saturday.

The Big East and Pitt need to understand that ESPN pretty much decides our schedule and we will play on a weekday if ESPN wants to broadcast our game. Our schedule was full and we actually helped Pitt giving them a game plus ESPN coverage included.

Pitt should have put that in the contract about playing on Wed night if they were that concerned. ESPN I'm sure will have to try to sort out issues with this...
04-23-2006 10:34 AM
KNIGHTTIME Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: '17 Natty Champ

KnightLight Wrote:
Wilkie01 Wrote:The real manly thing to do is quit crying like little sissy girls and just kick their asses on the field! Quit crying, its unmanly and is that a Yankee thing? People in the South would just make their point on game day by running up the score!

It's laughable....what should teams do when their opponent had an OFF week the prior weekend?

With games played from Tues-Saturdays through-out the year (not even counting Sunday/Monday of Labor Day Weekend too)...with ESPN mostly calling the shots...this happens almost every week...when one team might be off completely....or another team might have 1 or 2 more days of rest.

In a perfect world...EVERY TEAM would play games ONLY on Saturday...but come on...this complaint is almost laughable.

Is Pitt REALLY scared of UCF?

KL

Agreed.....It will be hard for the Big East to put together schedules in the future if they have to worry about getting 5 OOC games and also making sure the OOC games do not get an extra day rest.

UCF has played games on Tuesday, Wed, Thurs, Friday, Sat, and Sunday in the past.
04-23-2006 10:37 AM
brista21 Offline
The Birthplace of College Football

I Root For: Rutgers

Donators

CyberBull Wrote:Glimpse of Voting for BE #9 :

UCONN -- ? wildcard

I tend to believe that Rutgers will vote with WVU as is common and vote no on UCF. ECU would probably garner our support as would Memphis.

As for RU recruiting 3rd or 4th tier players, that's starting to change and an absolute breakout season this year would virtually ensure getting the best NJ, NY, and even a few of the best Florida guys on the banks of the old Raritan.
04-23-2006 10:50 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.