Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Benson comments on Texas St
Bookmark and Share
slycat Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Texas State
Benson comments on Texas St
http://blog.mysanantonio.com/the-local-s...t-and-see/

“I will tell you that Texas State has established a strong foundation both athletically and academically,” Benson said in a telephone interview on Saturday morning. “I don’t expect Texas State will be without a place to play football.”
04-28-2012 01:33 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ark30inf Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Arkansas State
RE: Benson comments on Texas St
(04-28-2012 01:33 PM)slycat Wrote:  http://blog.mysanantonio.com/the-local-s...t-and-see/

“I will tell you that Texas State has established a strong foundation both athletically and academically,” Benson said in a telephone interview on Saturday morning. “I don’t expect Texas State will be without a place to play football.”

I think he is probably correct.
04-28-2012 01:35 PM
Side Show Joe Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: North Texas
If Benson wants a Texas team, it looks like Texas State will be his only option. He has to say nice things about them.
04-28-2012 01:43 PM
RaiderDoug Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Middle
Oh gawd, we're about to be fed another giant **** sandwich.

Open up everyone!
04-28-2012 01:47 PM
Side Show Joe Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-28-2012 01:47 PM)RaiderDoug Wrote:  Oh gawd, we're about to be fed another giant **** sandwich.

Open up everyone!

If you think the Belt should stay at 9, I agree with you.
04-28-2012 01:57 PM
JoeJag Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: South Alabama
Where do you think LaTech lands? CUSA or the SBC?
04-28-2012 02:03 PM
Advertisement

slycat Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Texas State
(04-28-2012 01:47 PM)RaiderDoug Wrote:  Oh gawd, we're about to be fed another giant **** sandwich.

Open up everyone!

You're entitled to your own opinion but Texas St is in a good position right now to succeed. Let me know which stadium of yours collapses next.

The Sunbelt wasn't the first choice for many Texas St fans without UNT. But I'd be happy to call y'all home because it appears to be stable. Many Bobcat fans will be bummed as we watch UTSA leapfrog us but the Sunbelt is moving in the right direction. I hope y'all add Georgia Southern and App St too. Both fantastic programs. I saw ULM and FAU 10 years ago in San Marcos and hope to see y'all again.
04-28-2012 02:03 PM
Side Show Joe Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-28-2012 02:03 PM)JoeJag Wrote:  Where do you think LaTech lands? CUSA or the SBC?

I really think LA Tech is going to C-USA with UNT, FIU, and UTSA. It looks like C-USA's plan is to keep separation from the Sun Belt by not leaving any quality programs for the Sun Belt to rebuild with. It looks like the belt will have to expand with FCS teams in its region, or look west to the WAC refugees. Better to stay at 9.
04-28-2012 02:12 PM
SkullyMaroo Offline

I Root For: South Alabama

Open up everyone!

Rep points for making me chuckle.
04-28-2012 02:22 PM
Crump1 Offline
All American

I Root For: stAte
(04-28-2012 02:12 PM)Side Show Joe Wrote:  
(04-28-2012 02:03 PM)JoeJag Wrote:  Where do you think LaTech lands? CUSA or the SBC?

I really think LA Tech is going to C-USA with UNT, FIU, and UTSA. It looks like C-USA's plan is to keep separation from the Sun Belt by not leaving any quality programs for the Sun Belt to rebuild with. It looks like the belt will have to expand with FCS teams in its region, or look west to the WAC refugees. Better to stay at 9.
It's a poorly conceived plan. We could add Texas St., Ga. St., App. St. etc. and not lose any ground in the long run compared to the schools CUSA may add.

Even in terms of name recognition, average sports fans don't know currently that there is any difference between all of the teams in the mix for expansion to CUSA or the Sun Belt.
04-28-2012 02:23 PM
Paul of Troy Offline
The Man Who Watches

I Root For: Tennessee, Troy
Hell, I'll hold the door open for them.

I do wish North Texas would stay. I don't really care if FIU stays or not.
04-28-2012 02:28 PM
Advertisement

Seminole Indian Offline
All American

I Root For: Texas
(04-28-2012 01:43 PM)Side Show Joe Wrote:  If Benson wants a Texas team, it looks like Texas State will be his only option. He has to say nice things about them.
No actually he does not, because if they want to play football at the BCS level the SBC looks like their only option. Not sure if the eastern school care if the SBC has a team in Texas.

I'm sure Benson will have more schools wanting to join the SBC than he will have spots for, including some current FBS school.

I just wish the SBC could have a team in Texas that could play good football, something that has been missing for a few years. At least ASU beat A&M, SMU and played Texas tough, so the people in Texas did know that some SBC teams could play football.
(This post was last modified: 04-28-2012 02:30 PM by Seminole Indian.)
04-28-2012 02:30 PM
Lolly Popp Offline
Magically Delicious

I Root For: Football
If the people running CUSA were really smart and ruthless, they would also add Texas State, totally freezing the MWC and Sun Belt out of the market.

The 4 new additions would be UTSA, Texas State, North Texas, and FIU. And if ECU and Marshall ever quit, replace them with Georgia State and FAU.
04-28-2012 02:30 PM
tyler90wm Offline
Blue Raider

I Root For: MT
(04-28-2012 02:03 PM)slycat Wrote:  Let me know which stadium of yours collapses next.

We only had wooden bleachers in our basketball stadium collapse, the other thread about our football stadium was a joke.
04-28-2012 02:34 PM
Seminole Indian Offline
All American

I Root For: Texas

The fact they took UNT, and UTSA pretty much shot to hell your "quality programs" remark.

La Tech and FIU can play good football, but good football is not what CUSA is about, if it were there are 6-7 teams in the SBC ahead of UNT, but if you are a UNT fan you already know that to be a fact.
(This post was last modified: 04-28-2012 02:37 PM by Seminole Indian.)
04-28-2012 02:35 PM
Adler Offline
2nd String

I Root For:
I think Texas State will make an excellent addition to the Sun Belt.

Emerging national research institution, beautiful suburban campus located in Texas Hill Country between San Antonio and Austin, huge enrollment, large athletic budget, a former US President among its alumni, and very good community support.

.....and Texas State is one of the few colleges in the country that can rival North Texas for quantity of beautiful coeds.

The only thing wrong with Texas State is that its leadership waited 20 years longer than it should have to initiate the move to FBS.
04-28-2012 02:39 PM
Advertisement

trojanblood Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: TROY
(04-28-2012 02:35 PM)Seminole Indian Wrote:  

The fact they took UNT, and UTSA pretty much shot to hell your "quality porgrams" remark.

La Tech and FIU can play good football, but good football is not what CUSA is about, if it were there are 6-7 teams in the SBC ahead of UNT, but if you are a UNT fan you already know that to be a fact.

I havent seen in quality program come out of UNT in a long, long time when it comes to sports. Let them go. I would be more much happier keeping FIU. Good football and baseball programs and great athletic facilities. KEEP IT IN THE SOUTH AND OUT OF TEXAS!!!!05-stirthepot05-stirthepot
(This post was last modified: 04-28-2012 02:41 PM by trojanblood.)
04-28-2012 02:40 PM
FIU4Ever Offline

I Root For: FIU
(04-28-2012 02:28 PM)Paul of Troy Wrote:  Hell, I'll hold the door open for them.

Can we stay if we promise not to beat you this year? 05-stirthepot
04-28-2012 02:41 PM
FIUFanatic Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(04-28-2012 02:28 PM)Paul of Troy Wrote:  Hell, I'll hold the door open for them.

Nothing is official. No need to get defensive until it is for certain.

The feeling is not mutual, at least for me and the Belt. I certainly enjoy being a part of the Sun Belt and the growth we all shared for at least all these years....
04-28-2012 02:44 PM
ark30inf Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Arkansas State
The problem with Texas State is that they will be the only Texas Sun Belt team.....just like North Texas was. Those Texans like to fight each other.
04-28-2012 02:59 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.