NC St
Virginia
Virginia Tech
Louisville
Georgia Tech
Miami
Other
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
If Florida St, Clemson, and UNC join the SEC, who’s #20?
Fighting Muskie Offline
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
If Florida St, Clemson, and UNC join the SEC, who’s #20?
The thread title sums it up, who’s the lucky duck that joins them?
10-04-2023 04:41 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

RockyMtnHerd Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Marshall/Tulane
RE: If Florida St, Clemson, and UNC join the SEC, who’s #20?
UVA in this case, though I think it's likelier they and UNC go to the Big Ten.
10-04-2023 04:44 PM
Crayton Offline
All American

I Root For: Florida
If UNC made it, they made it with NC State. The only way they split is if UNC is #20 (ie. Miami is #19).
10-04-2023 04:45 PM
IWokeUpLikeThis Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
UVA. Miami is more valuable, but it's getting into Virginia to complete the South vs a 3rd team in FL.
10-04-2023 04:50 PM
goofus Offline
All American

I Root For: Iowa
It's a trick question.

UNC wants to be paired with Virginia, but Virginia wants to join the Big Ten, not the SEC.
10-04-2023 05:06 PM
Sparty Baby 84 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Michigan State
I voted NC State.

The fact that the Big Ten wouldn't take Cal or Stanford for whatever chump change those two are getting from the ACC tells me that academics are officially for the birds in this realignment climate. With that notion in mind, I crossed out Virginia.

Because Florida State and Florida would be harmed by Miami joining the SEC, I crossed out Miami.

Georgia Tech is a redundant pickup not only because academics don't matter anymore, but also because the SEC Championship Game is already played every year in Atlanta. And, as for playing defense, no P4 has done that yet, let alone a P2. Additionally, if just having a nerd school in a great recruiting hotbed meant anything to a P2/P4, then Rice, Tulane, Georgia Tech, and the already passed on Bay Area Schools would be in much greener pastures right now.

I crossed out Duke because right now Duke is the best they will ever be in football. They are one major injury away from 6-6 and low turnout for games that aren't on major networks. Duke also isn't Stanford in the classroom or on the football field and the Big Ten wouldn't even pay Stanford for minimum wage. Duke basketball, while awesome, is not going to be what it was in the next 20 years because ask UCLA about replacing a Mt. Rushmore coach with a Mt. Rushmore coach (i.e, it isn't going to happen). So, Duke hoops will fade away in the next twenty years ala Georgetown, but they could reach a respectable Villanova level once schools start fleeing the ACC.

Virginia Tech would be my next best choice on this list, but I think UNC has the pull to sneak in NC State with them at the expense of VT.

For the purposes of this question, University of Bird Teeth doesn't warrant consideration.

Lastly, they aren't options to this poll, but Kansas, Colorado, Arizona, Arizona State, Oklahoma State, TCU, and Texas Tech would all be better than NC State if the politics of making UNC happy were not an issue (it is... because they will choose Big Ten if the SEC doesn't concede something to them).
10-04-2023 05:22 PM
Advertisement

Skyhawk Offline
All American

I Root For: Big10
(10-04-2023 04:41 PM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  The thread title sums it up, who’s the lucky duck that joins them?

NC State.

I think there are probably other, smarter moves (Louisville, or VT, for example), but I think that the college system will likely require NC State to come along.
(This post was last modified: 10-04-2023 05:59 PM by Skyhawk.)
10-04-2023 05:26 PM
PeteTheChop Online
Here rests the ACC: 1953-2026

I Root For: C-A-N-E-S
(10-04-2023 04:41 PM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  The thread title sums it up, who’s the lucky duck that joins them?

UVA (34%)
NC State (33%)
Duke (33%)
10-04-2023 05:38 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(10-04-2023 05:22 PM)Sparty Baby 84 Wrote:  I voted NC State.

The fact that the Big Ten wouldn't take Cal or Stanford for whatever chump change those two are getting from the ACC tells me that academics are officially for the birds in this realignment climate. With that notion in mind, I crossed out Virginia.

Because Florida State and Florida would be harmed by Miami joining the SEC, I crossed out Miami.

Georgia Tech is a redundant pickup not only because academics don't matter anymore, but also because the SEC Championship Game is already played every year in Atlanta. And, as for playing defense, no P4 has done that yet, let alone a P2. Additionally, if just having a nerd school in a great recruiting hotbed meant anything to a P2/P4, then Rice, Tulane, Georgia Tech, and the already passed on Bay Area Schools would be in much greener pastures right now.

I crossed out Duke because right now Duke is the best they will ever be in football. They are one major injury away from 6-6 and low turnout for games that aren't on major networks. Duke also isn't Stanford in the classroom or on the football field and the Big Ten wouldn't even pay Stanford for minimum wage. Duke basketball, while awesome, is not going to be what it was in the next 20 years because ask UCLA about replacing a Mt. Rushmore coach with a Mt. Rushmore coach (i.e, it isn't going to happen). So, Duke hoops will fade away in the next twenty years ala Georgetown, but they could reach a respectable Villanova level once schools start fleeing the ACC.

Virginia Tech would be my next best choice on this list, but I think UNC has the pull to sneak in NC State with them at the expense of VT.

For the purposes of this question, University of Bird Teeth doesn't warrant consideration.

Lastly, they aren't options to this poll, but Kansas, Colorado, Arizona, Arizona State, Oklahoma State, TCU, and Texas Tech would all be better than NC State if the politics of making UNC happy were not an issue (it is... because they will choose Big Ten if the SEC doesn't concede something to them).

If UNC made the pick, I think they pick UVA over NCSU. And NCSU over Duke.
But many of the above reasons are why I picked UVA over Miami, who would be more valuable. I would say 40% UVA, 35% Miami, 24% NCSU, 1% somebody else.
(This post was last modified: 10-04-2023 05:48 PM by bullet.)
10-04-2023 05:47 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
This question was answered in 2011. When Maryland departed the ACC for the Big 10 rumors swirled around Virginia and Georgia Tech getting ready to do the same. UNC contacted the SEC and their question was simple, "We would like to stay in the ACC but if things get worse here would you accept us and take ....Duke too? There's your answer on UNC's choice. Now if Virginia is in play that could change. They had no concern for N.C. State.

Then when OU and UT news broke via the Houston Chronicle within 3 days unofficial envoys were rumored to be at the SEC office. Illegal? Nope. If they aren't in administration they don't necessarily speak for the school. But knowing who they allegedly were I'd say they count. One represented UNC and the other Clemson. Clemson spoke for another school now obviously known, FSU. UNC spoke for another school as well, but one who hasn't been named. If it was N.C. State there would have been no hesitation to say so. Hmm?

Now ask yourself if ESPN was dead set on holding onto full rights to ACC brands who would they want to move to the SEC? I think you'll have your answer then. And a hint, nobody voted for it in your poll.

If it was left up to me it would be Clemson, Florida State (the two most SEC like schools not in the SEC already) North Carolina and Virginia Tech.
10-04-2023 06:06 PM
Erictelevision Offline
All American

I Root For: Uconn hoops
(10-04-2023 04:44 PM)RockyMtnHerd Wrote:  UVA in this case, though I think it's likelier they and UNC go to the Big Ten.

What I came to say
10-04-2023 06:55 PM
Advertisement

1Dukie Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: DUKE
Florida State and Clemson are the two biggest football brands and Duke and UNC are the two biggest basketball brands in the ACC.
10-04-2023 07:08 PM
XLance Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina

It's hard to say. A lot could change before 2037 that may make one of the candidates stand out from the others.
07-coffee3
10-04-2023 07:18 PM
BePcr07 Offline
All American

I Root For: Boise St & Zags
My gut says Duke (so I voted for the Blue Devils) but I wouldn't be surprised if it were either Miami or Virginia.
10-04-2023 07:28 PM
Fighting Muskie Offline
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
(10-04-2023 06:06 PM)JRsec Wrote:  This question was answered in 2011. When Maryland departed the ACC for the Big 10 rumors swirled around Virginia and Georgia Tech getting ready to do the same. UNC contacted the SEC and their question was simple, "We would like to stay in the ACC but if things get worse here would you accept us and take ....Duke too? There's your answer on UNC's choice. Now if Virginia is in play that could change. They had no concern for N.C. State.

Then when OU and UT news broke via the Houston Chronicle within 3 days unofficial envoys were rumored to be at the SEC office. Illegal? Nope. If they aren't in administration they don't necessarily speak for the school. But knowing who they allegedly were I'd say they count. One represented UNC and the other Clemson. Clemson spoke for another school now obviously known, FSU. UNC spoke for another school as well, but one who hasn't been named. If it was N.C. State there would have been no hesitation to say so. Hmm?

Now ask yourself if ESPN was dead set on holding onto full rights to ACC brands who would they want to move to the SEC? I think you'll have your answer then. And a hint, nobody voted for it in your poll.

If it was left up to me it would be Clemson, Florida State (the two most SEC like schools not in the SEC already) North Carolina and Virginia Tech.

I agree—VT is the move that gives them the biggest percentage of VA, while UNC gives them the biggest percentage of NC with only adding 1 school from each state.

Duke was supposedly their preferred partner 12 years—that doesn’t necessarily mean that they still are. I could see where it would be beneficial to UNC if Duke’s financial resources were slashed.
10-04-2023 07:29 PM
bryanw1995 Offline
+12 Hackmaster

I Root For: A&M
(10-04-2023 06:06 PM)JRsec Wrote:  This question was answered in 2011. When Maryland departed the ACC for the Big 10 rumors swirled around Virginia and Georgia Tech getting ready to do the same. UNC contacted the SEC and their question was simple, "We would like to stay in the ACC but if things get worse here would you accept us and take ....Duke too? There's your answer on UNC's choice. Now if Virginia is in play that could change. They had no concern for N.C. State.

That would be my vote, too. However, I picked Miami in this poll because I don't have a vote, and I think that the SEC Presidents are more apt to decide that Miami's overall history, finishing off Florida, and pretty good TV ratings bring more of what we want.
10-04-2023 07:35 PM
Advertisement

JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(10-04-2023 07:29 PM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  

I agree—VT is the move that gives them the biggest percentage of VA, while UNC gives them the biggest percentage of NC with only adding 1 school from each state.

Duke was supposedly their preferred partner 12 years—that doesn’t necessarily mean that they still are. I could see where it would be beneficial to UNC if Duke’s financial resources were slashed.
Remember, ESPN has a fairly large say in this as well. They will conceded FSU and UNC to the SEC as it serves them. Clemson? That will be a concession to the SEC. What is the concession to ESPN from the SEC? We might want a Virginia school, but the next big brand for advertising reach at any point during the year would likely be Duke. Miami is an interesting consideration, but one which ESPN if it retains FSU in the SEC doesn't have to have to keep the best ad value in Florida.

That could be a nod to FOX that wouldn't damage ESPN or the SEC. So Pete is right about the potential. However, that said Kansas could be a concession to ESPN as well.
10-04-2023 07:35 PM
bryanw1995 Offline
+12 Hackmaster

I Root For: A&M
(10-04-2023 07:29 PM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  

$25m a year is not even a rounding error for Duke. Their financial resources would only be slashed if they allowed it to happen. I remember talking about Duke with others here last year, and there are a whole lot of good reasons that Duke would be in the discussion. I think that, in this one case at least, how they do on the court and the field over the next few years could actually be very important to their candidacy.
10-04-2023 07:37 PM
GoldenWarrior11 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marquette, BE
I voted NC State. NC State fits the SEC mold very well, and if that is the tie-breaker for getting UNC to commit to joining, then it is a no-brainer. Miami is a more valuable brand and market, and the SEC should prevent the B1G access from Florida, but I don't think that ESPN will be able to prevent that from happening. The SEC is unlikely to expand to 24 teams (there just aren't enough brands worth adding at that point).

If the SEC gets FSU, Clemson, UNC and NC State, then the B1G is all over Miami for #19; either (or both) Virginia and Virginia Tech are also in-play, as is Georgia Tech, which is another play into a deep SEC market (Atlanta). Perhaps Duke is a toss-in for their basketball value (and academics).
10-04-2023 07:40 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(10-04-2023 07:40 PM)GoldenWarrior11 Wrote:  I voted NC State. NC State fits the SEC mold very well, and if that is the tie-breaker for getting UNC to commit to joining, then it is a no-brainer. Miami is a more valuable brand and market, and the SEC should prevent the B1G access from Florida, but I don't think that ESPN will be able to prevent that from happening. The SEC is unlikely to expand to 24 teams (there just aren't enough brands worth adding at that point).

If the SEC gets FSU, Clemson, UNC and NC State, then the B1G is all over Miami for #19; either (or both) Virginia and Virginia Tech are also in-play, as is Georgia Tech, which is another play into a deep SEC market (Atlanta). Perhaps Duke is a toss-in for their basketball value (and academics).

ESPN can prevent it. The question is will they want to? The set the new SEC contract up with pro rata additions. There is no longer a question of worth and selections may be made to prevent loss of value to the conference from the loss of exclusivity in advertising in some states.

Georgia Tech is a non issue. Georgia carries Atlanta 51-48% with other schools in play besides Tech. Georgia carries the state 85-15%. The issue can't be stated enough but the old core of the ACC wants to remain intact. Only the SEC can do that for them. Does ESPN want to do that? They can handle the whole set of moves without the Big 10.

What they would do for the Big 10 is free Notre Dame. But ESPN could place 5 schools in the New Big 12 and 8 in the ACC and dissolve the conference. Those going to the SEC would be docked their exit fees of 120 million for the remaining 12 years of what would have been the duration of their ACC contract and pay them all. That would cost them about 175 million. And I didn't deduct for the elimination of duplicated overhead in producing the ACC. Or what they will be ceasing to pay for the LHN. And I didn't account for the increased revenue from the SECN. It pretty much comes out a wash.
(This post was last modified: 10-04-2023 08:00 PM by JRsec.)
10-04-2023 07:48 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.