Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

SDSU has given MWC notice of intention to leave conference
Bookmark and Share
CardinalBlackTrojan Offline

I Root For: TROY
SDSU has given MWC notice of intention to leave conference
https://www.espn.com/college-sports/stor...plans-exit

San Diego State gave the Mountain West written notice this week that the school "intends to resign from the Mountain West Conference," sources told ESPN.

In the letter, they asked the Mountain West for a "one-month extension given unforeseen delays involving other collegiate athletic conferences beyond our control." As of now, there does not appear to be an invitation to San Diego State from a Power Five conference.

The withdrawal letter, which came from San Diego State president Adela de la Torre on June 13, comes with complexities and prompted a terse back-and-forth between the league and SDSU. That included San Diego State subsequently informing the league that the June 13 letter was "not the official notice of resignation," according to sources.

San Diego State would need to give a year notice to withdraw next June. If they wait past June 30, the exit fee that they'd owe would jump from nearly $16.5 million to nearly $34 million.

San Diego State has long been linked to the Pac-12, which is amid a protracted process of landing a television contract. There's been no formal invitation for San Diego State to join the league, and the timeline for that has been linked to either the Pac-12's television deal or the departure of a Pac-12 member. "San Diego State does not have an offer from the Pac-12," according to a source.

San Diego State is attempting to explore all options if it does get to June 30 and the Pac-12 doesn't have a television deal done, according to a source.

"SDSU is exploring all of the options and asking all the questions," the source said. "The intention of the June 13 letter wasn't that San Diego State is exiting."

Along with the one-month extension in the first letter SDSU wrote to the Mountain West, they also asked the league to be open to discuss the exit fee. SDSU mentioned the income they've generated for the Mountain West through the NCAA basketball tournament -- estimated this March to be at least $10 million from NCAA units -- which they won't see any of if they leave the league.

San Diego State also asked that a four-year installment plan be considered for paying the exit fee. As for now, they'd have to pay that money by June of 2024, which would include the league withholding payment of the Mountain West's distribution of money to the school.

The Mountain West responded to San Diego State and informed them in a June 14 letter that they accepted the letter of withdrawal and the consequences of withdrawing had begun. Those include de la Torre's seat on the MWC Board of Directors being pulled and that the league's policies on financial obligation tied to withdrawal are going to be withheld.

That prompted another exchange from San Diego State to clarify that the June 13 letter was not an official resignation, just a request for a month extension. They also asked that no payments should be withheld, which is the league's practice to apply to the exit fee. (Mountain West schools are expecting a check for nearly $6 million in the upcoming weeks.)

"They're trying to find out what we're willing to do," said a Mountain West source briefed on the exchange. "They want to see if the Mountain West Conference is going to handle this nicely. Well, that's not going to happen. Everyone wants to find the best financial path for themselves, and it's clunky."

The Mountain West Conference held a call with athletic directors on Thursday afternoon that detailed the back-and-forth with the league and San Diego State. The news didn't come as a surprise, as San Diego State athletic director J.D. Wicker has openly spoken about switching leagues.

That included Wicker telling ESPN in March that SDSU would be "ready to step into a power conference" and telling CBS in January that the Pac-12 would want to give SDSU a full share of the media revenue to prevent them going to the Big 12 and have that league recruiting their backyard.
(This post was last modified: 06-16-2023 01:52 PM by CardinalBlackTrojan.)
06-16-2023 01:51 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

GreenBison Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marshall | SBC
RE: SDSU has given MWC notice of intention to leave conference
(06-16-2023 01:51 PM)CardinalBlackTrojan Wrote:  https://www.espn.com/college-sports/stor...plans-exit

San Diego State gave the Mountain West written notice this week that the school "intends to resign from the Mountain West Conference," sources told ESPN.

In the letter, they asked the Mountain West for a "one-month extension given unforeseen delays involving other collegiate athletic conferences beyond our control." As of now, there does not appear to be an invitation to San Diego State from a Power Five conference.

The withdrawal letter, which came from San Diego State president Adela de la Torre on June 13, comes with complexities and prompted a terse back-and-forth between the league and SDSU. That included San Diego State subsequently informing the league that the June 13 letter was "not the official notice of resignation," according to sources.

San Diego State would need to give a year notice to withdraw next June. If they wait past June 30, the exit fee that they'd owe would jump from nearly $16.5 million to nearly $34 million.

San Diego State has long been linked to the Pac-12, which is amid a protracted process of landing a television contract. There's been no formal invitation for San Diego State to join the league, and the timeline for that has been linked to either the Pac-12's television deal or the departure of a Pac-12 member. "San Diego State does not have an offer from the Pac-12," according to a source.

San Diego State is attempting to explore all options if it does get to June 30 and the Pac-12 doesn't have a television deal done, according to a source.

"SDSU is exploring all of the options and asking all the questions," the source said. "The intention of the June 13 letter wasn't that San Diego State is exiting."

Along with the one-month extension in the first letter SDSU wrote to the Mountain West, they also asked the league to be open to discuss the exit fee. SDSU mentioned the income they've generated for the Mountain West through the NCAA basketball tournament -- estimated this March to be at least $10 million from NCAA units -- which they won't see any of if they leave the league.

San Diego State also asked that a four-year installment plan be considered for paying the exit fee. As for now, they'd have to pay that money by June of 2024, which would include the league withholding payment of the Mountain West's distribution of money to the school.

The Mountain West responded to San Diego State and informed them in a June 14 letter that they accepted the letter of withdrawal and the consequences of withdrawing had begun. Those include de la Torre's seat on the MWC Board of Directors being pulled and that the league's policies on financial obligation tied to withdrawal are going to be withheld.

That prompted another exchange from San Diego State to clarify that the June 13 letter was not an official resignation, just a request for a month extension. They also asked that no payments should be withheld, which is the league's practice to apply to the exit fee. (Mountain West schools are expecting a check for nearly $6 million in the upcoming weeks.)

"They're trying to find out what we're willing to do," said a Mountain West source briefed on the exchange. "They want to see if the Mountain West Conference is going to handle this nicely. Well, that's not going to happen. Everyone wants to find the best financial path for themselves, and it's clunky."

The Mountain West Conference held a call with athletic directors on Thursday afternoon that detailed the back-and-forth with the league and San Diego State. The news didn't come as a surprise, as San Diego State athletic director J.D. Wicker has openly spoken about switching leagues.

That included Wicker telling ESPN in March that SDSU would be "ready to step into a power conference" and telling CBS in January that the Pac-12 would want to give SDSU a full share of the media revenue to prevent them going to the Big 12 and have that league recruiting their backyard.

Hold on boys, the drama is gonna get extra big this summer.
06-16-2023 02:02 PM
TrueBlueDrew Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jawjuh Suthen
SDSU and Boise to the PAC

El Paso and NMSU to the MWC

SMU and Memphis to the Big 12

Texas State and Liberty to the AAC

ECU to the Sun Belt

WKU and MT to the MAC

CUSA crumbles
06-16-2023 02:19 PM

(06-16-2023 02:19 PM)TrueBlueDrew Wrote:  SDSU and Boise to the PAC

ECU to the Sun Belt

WKU and MT to the MAC

CUSA crumbles

[Image: no-no-no-spider-man.gif]
06-16-2023 02:22 PM
ballantyneapp Offline
All American

I Root For: App

ECU to the Sun Belt

WKU and MT to the MAC

CUSA crumbles

ECU wouldn't leave inthat scenario IMO.

I'd also expect USF to get an invite before memphis to the Big 12.

It might look something like:

SMU/SDST to PAC
Mem/USF to B12
06-16-2023 02:31 PM
Yosef Himself Offline
Heisman

I Root For: App State
(06-16-2023 02:31 PM)ballantyneapp Wrote:  

ECU to the Sun Belt

WKU and MT to the MAC

CUSA crumbles

SMU/SDST to PAC
Mem/USF to B12

Temple, Tulsa, Tulane, Navy and ECU would still probably stick together.
06-16-2023 02:47 PM
Advertisement

GreenDaddy Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Marshall
My guess is it'll look something like this:

1) Colorado and Arizona announce they are leaving for the BIGXII.
2) PAC completes media deal already knowing they are going to backfill with SDSU and SMU.
3) It will then be the AAC and MWC's turn to either stay as is or lure a backfill in.
4) The SBC will not be effected at all. Which is really nice considering all the drama CUSA served us being used as rotating door.
06-16-2023 02:48 PM
herdfan2013 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Marshall
(06-16-2023 02:48 PM)GreenDaddy Wrote:  My guess is it'll look something like this:

1) Colorado and Arizona announce they are leaving for the BIGXII.
2) PAC completes media deal already knowing they are going to backfill with SDSU and SMU.
3) It will then be the AAC and MWC's turn to either stay as is or lure a backfill in.
4) The SBC will not be effected at all. Which is really nice considering all the drama CUSA served us being used as rotating door.

MWC stands pat. American adds… Middle Tennessee? Army? UMass? UConn as a FB only? Liberty? Missouri St? Georgia St and Texas St get asked. Neither make the move.
06-16-2023 03:06 PM

If the MWC and/or AAC only lose a couple schools each, I believe they both stay as-is.

MWC would have 10 with a CCG, and the AAC would be at 12.

Would MWC really want to expand with UTEP, NMSU, or Texas State??? Does it add value to them?
06-16-2023 03:09 PM
TrueBlueDrew Offline
Heisman

(06-16-2023 02:47 PM)Yosef Himself Wrote:  

ECU to the Sun Belt

WKU and MT to the MAC

CUSA crumbles

SMU/SDST to PAC
Mem/USF to B12

ECU has very little in common with those 4. Three private universities, and a service academy. Besides the money which will be greatly reduced going forward, I don’t see an incentive for ECU to stay
(This post was last modified: 06-16-2023 03:11 PM by TrueBlueDrew.)
06-16-2023 03:11 PM
Yosef181 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Appalachian State
I'm entertained watching this on the sidelines.

John Canzano (Pac-12 reporter) indicated this afternoon that SMU will move too. We're nearing the point where the number of "legacy" AAC football members (7, if SMU leaves) equals the number of CUSA members coming in (6).
(This post was last modified: 06-16-2023 03:58 PM by Yosef181.)
06-16-2023 03:42 PM
Advertisement

FairwayEagle Offline
1st String

I Root For: Southern Miss
SBC's current realignment strategy:

[Image: Hold_Fast_JB_Baa-article.jpg?format=750w]
06-16-2023 03:49 PM
mturn017 Offline
ODU Homer

I Root For: Old Dominion
San Diego flying without a net. I’m sure they likely have “assurances” from the PAC and some heavy petting with the BIG12 but man I bet those admin’s balls are tight right about now.
06-16-2023 04:10 PM
Yosef Himself Offline
Heisman

I wouldn't be too worried about a T(exit)St from the SBC if only SDSU made a move. An SMU move could mean an offer to TxSt from the AAC to "set an order of alignment". Couldn't blame TxSt move to be closer to UNT and UTSA.
06-16-2023 04:26 PM
bcp_jmu Offline
Heisman

I Root For: James Madison!!
STAY TXST...STAY

If SBC ever goes to 14, then i do hope it includes a good partner for TXST and ArkSt
06-16-2023 05:20 PM
Johnnychimpo Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: TXST, G5, TTU sometimes
(06-16-2023 03:11 PM)TrueBlueDrew Wrote:  

ECU to the Sun Belt

WKU and MT to the MAC

CUSA crumbles

SMU/SDST to PAC
Mem/USF to B12

ECU has very little in common with those 4. Three private universities, and a service academy. Besides the money which will be greatly reduced going forward, I don’t see an incentive for ECU to stay

Temple is a public school. Though I think initially founded on protestant beliefs I think it has long abandoned those virtues. Lord knows mad man Everett Withers would not be a great fit for a Evangelist school with integrity.
06-16-2023 05:33 PM
Advertisement

TrueBlueDrew Offline
Heisman

(06-16-2023 05:33 PM)Johnnychimpo Wrote:  
(06-16-2023 03:11 PM)TrueBlueDrew Wrote:  

ECU to the Sun Belt

WKU and MT to the MAC

CUSA crumbles

SMU/SDST to PAC
Mem/USF to B12

Temple is a public school. Though I think initially founded on protestant beliefs I think it has long abandoned those virtues. Lord knows mad man Everett Withers would not be a great fit for a Evangelist school with integrity.

They are a special case. They operate separately from the State of Pennsylvania and have their own board of governors. They do get funding from the State but for all purposes are a private school. In return for public funding, they have to give Pennsylvania residents cheaper tuition and produce research for the State.
06-16-2023 08:31 PM
HarborPointe Online
North American Champion

(06-16-2023 04:10 PM)mturn017 Wrote:  San Diego flying without a net. I’m sure they likely have “assurances” from the PAC and some heavy petting with the BIG12 but man I bet those admin’s balls are tight right about now.

Speaking of balls, how much does it take to say, “For purposes of us saving a bunch in exit fees, consider this notice of our impending departure. However, we aren’t actually departing yet, so this is not our notice for purposes of us having input and drawing income.”

The rest of the MWC is like 03-lmfao.

SDSU must’ve hired CUSA’s legal team.
06-16-2023 09:05 PM
Thegoldstandard Offline
Heisman

Good to see La Tech taking a proactive stance
[Image: FyxjgQ7WYAEzBA-?format=jpg&name=large]
06-16-2023 09:12 PM
JTApps1 Offline
1st String

(06-16-2023 03:42 PM)Yosef181 Wrote:  I'm entertained watching this on the sidelines.

John Canzano (Pac-12 reporter) indicated this afternoon that SMU will move too. We're nearing the point where the number of "legacy" AAC football members (7, if SMU leaves) equals the number of CUSA members coming in (6).

I can't imagine Navy sticks around very long if the AAC loses SMU and one of Memphis or USF.
06-16-2023 09:23 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.