Article: BYU needs to leave independence
01-04-2016 03:03 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

HawkeyeCoug Offline
2nd String

I Root For: BYU
RE: Article: BYU needs to leave independence
(01-04-2016 03:03 PM)TardisCaptain Wrote:  From a Utah newspaper.

http://www.standard.net/frontpage/2016/0...longs.html

The newspaper has a UofU/USU slant, both of which would love to see BYU step down to the MWC. Thus, while it reflects on the interest of Aggie and Ute fans, it doesn't deal with reality. Any mention in the article on how much it would be to buy out already scheduled games? How about the reduced TV money? Any mention about forming a "best of the rest" football conference?

BYU should have gone independent 30 years ago. We would be in a P5 conference now if we had. In trying to build up the WAC and then the MWC we simply sealed our own fate, and missed out on a great deal of revenue. By going independent, we can be better judged on our own merits, and there are very few teams that have averaged 60K in football and 16K in basketball over the last 30 years.

On the flip side, a SLC radio personality who is rather anti-BYU mentioned that the Big 12 is negotiating with BYU. Not sure if he really has any sources though - once bitten, twice shy.
01-04-2016 03:33 PM
vandiver49 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USNA/UTK
(01-04-2016 03:33 PM)HawkeyeCoug Wrote:  

The newspaper has a UofU/USU slant, both of which would love to see BYU step down to the MWC. Thus, while it reflects on the interest of Aggie and Ute fans, it doesn't deal with reality. Any mention in the article on how much it would be to buy out already scheduled games? How about the reduced TV money? Any mention about forming a "best of the rest" football conference?

BYU should have gone independent 30 years ago. We would be in a P5 conference now if we had. In trying to build up the WAC and then the MWC we simply sealed our own fate, and missed out on a great deal of revenue. By going independent, we can be better judged on our own merits, and there are very few teams that have averaged 60K in football and 16K in basketball over the last 30 years.

On the flip side, a SLC radio personality who is rather anti-BYU mentioned that the Big 12 is negotiating with BYU. Not sure if he really has any sources though - once bitten, twice shy.

What do you based the bolded on? I don't think any P5 league would have conceded to the special considerations BYU demands.
01-04-2016 03:40 PM
HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Alabama
Cab Driver: Where to?

BYU: Anywhere!
01-04-2016 03:43 PM
TodgeRodge Offline
All American

I Root For: Todge
conferences afford you 4 things

1. TV deals

2. guaranteed teams to play

3. prestige (or lack of)

4. bowl tie ins

so each school needs to evaluate their own conference opportunities relative to how they can do on their own

so lets go over that relative to BYU

1. they have a much better TV deal financially as an independent and as far as exposure as well for that matter

2. BYU is having no difficulty getting games against quality P5 opponents from multiple conferences and even home games as well

BYU wants to use their team for "exposure" as well and so they are willing to play neutral site games and that has allowed them even more P5 match ups and their fans accept that and their attendance shows that

3. I am not trying to knock the MWC they were a very good conference for many years and were on the cusp of possible BCS inclusion (based on the metrics and compared to the Big East) before things blew up realignment wise.....but as of today the MWC is not as strong of a conference and looking at the schedule BYU would have playing in the MWC Vs the schedules they have lined up for the future BYU is not having an issue with strength of schedule or "prestige" in their schedule

4. BYU has a bowl tie in of their own and if BYU was ranked high enough I am confident they would get an Access Bowl slot or even a playoff spot and again the schedules they have lined up would afford them both if they were to go undefeated or a slight chance if things worked out with 1 loss.....and that would be AT BEST the same if they played in the MWC

so based on the fact that BYU does better in pretty much all aspects of what a conference offers Vs independence especially in light of the fact that BYU wants the exposure that independence affords them there is zero reason or argument that BYU needs to join a conference or would benefit from joining a conference and again this predicated on the conference opportunities available to them today which would be the MWC and this would of course change if a P5 offer was made available to BYU
01-04-2016 03:55 PM
Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California
(01-04-2016 03:33 PM)HawkeyeCoug Wrote:  The newspaper has a UofU/USU slant, both of which would love to see BYU step down to the MWC.

The writer of that article doesn't have that slant. This is his Twitter profile:

Quote:Ryan Comer
@RyanComerSe

Prep sports coordinator/sports columnist for @standardex. Washington state native, #BYU grad, #LDS RM from Taiwan-Kaohsiung (台湾高雄) mission. rcomer@standard.net
01-04-2016 04:03 PM
Advertisement

quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
BYU made the big error of thinking TV and the P5 would treat them like Notre Dame. They overestimated themselves and now are stuck.
01-04-2016 04:05 PM
stever20 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Sports
The problem is that with BYU being independent, they're having to play all 6-7 games back to back to back at the start of the season. This year for instance, they were already beaten to a pulp after 3 games, and got demolished by Michigan. No one else is playing that kind of schedule. they aren't getting the same graduated schedule that Notre Dame gets. They pretty much with their other 5-6 games have to finish with 1 loss to have any shot at an access bowl even. Take next year for instance... but use this years standings....
playoff teams remain Alabama, Clemson, Mich St, Oklahoma....
Rose remains Stanford/Iowa
Sugar remains Oklahoma St/Ole Miss
Orange becomes Florida St/Ohio St
For BYU to get in an access bowl, they would have had to finish ahead of Notre Dame.

You say well that's not fair. Lets use the year where there's the most flexibility- rotation 1
Rose/Sugar have the playoffs.
Orange becomes Florida St/Ohio St
access bowls- Iowa, Stanford, Notre Dame, North Carolina, and TCU would be in, along with Houston.

So there, BYU would have had to go 11-1 to really have a shot to be in. With as front loaded of schedules as they have, that isn't happening.
01-04-2016 04:08 PM
UpStreamRedTeam Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rutgers
(01-04-2016 03:55 PM)TodgeRodge Wrote:  conferences afford you 4 things

1. TV deals

2. guaranteed teams to play

3. prestige (or lack of)

4. bowl tie ins

so each school needs to evaluate their own conference opportunities relative to how they can do on their own

so lets go over that relative to BYU

1. they have a much better TV deal financially as an independent and as far as exposure as well for that matter

2. BYU is having no difficulty getting games against quality P5 opponents from multiple conferences and even home games as well

BYU wants to use their team for "exposure" as well and so they are willing to play neutral site games and that has allowed them even more P5 match ups and their fans accept that and their attendance shows that

3. I am not trying to knock the MWC they were a very good conference for many years and were on the cusp of possible BCS inclusion (based on the metrics and compared to the Big East) before things blew up realignment wise.....but as of today the MWC is not as strong of a conference and looking at the schedule BYU would have playing in the MWC Vs the schedules they have lined up for the future BYU is not having an issue with strength of schedule or "prestige" in their schedule

4. BYU has a bowl tie in of their own and if BYU was ranked high enough I am confident they would get an Access Bowl slot or even a playoff spot and again the schedules they have lined up would afford them both if they were to go undefeated or a slight chance if things worked out with 1 loss.....and that would be AT BEST the same if they played in the MWC

so based on the fact that BYU does better in pretty much all aspects of what a conference offers Vs independence especially in light of the fact that BYU wants the exposure that independence affords them there is zero reason or argument that BYU needs to join a conference or would benefit from joining a conference and again this predicated on the conference opportunities available to them today which would be the MWC and this would of course change if a P5 offer was made available to BYU

Quote:I am confident they would get an Access Bowl slot or even a playoff spot
I agree with almost everything you are saying, but I think the G5 Access Bowl slot can only go to a conference champion, which who exclude BYU.
01-04-2016 04:09 PM
NBPirate Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Georgetown
Come on down
01-04-2016 04:12 PM
stever20 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Sports
before folks ask- well other teams play schedules like what BYU does, and they finish 11-1, the difference is- those other teams don't play 6-7 games tough at the start of the season. It's spread out thru out the season.
01-04-2016 04:15 PM
Advertisement

adcorbett Offline
This F'n Guy

I Root For: Louisville
(01-04-2016 03:55 PM)TodgeRodge Wrote:  2. BYU is having no difficulty getting games against quality P5 opponents from multiple conferences and even home games as well

I don't know about that part. To go with what Stever said, they are getting some P5's about 5 per season, but they are all played at the beginning of the year, and are not entirely on a home and home basis.

The front loaded schedules make it hard to get fans engaged the second half of the year, if there is nothing really to play for AND no more marquee names. I am not saying is a major issue, but I don't think that is a current net positive over anything other than the old MWC set up.
01-04-2016 04:37 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
EmeryZach Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UMASS
(01-04-2016 04:03 PM)Wedge Wrote:  
(01-04-2016 03:33 PM)HawkeyeCoug Wrote:  The newspaper has a UofU/USU slant, both of which would love to see BYU step down to the MWC.

The writer of that article doesn't have that slant. This is his Twitter profile:

Quote:Ryan Comer
@RyanComerSe

Prep sports coordinator/sports columnist for @standardex. Washington state native, #BYU grad, #LDS RM from Taiwan-Kaohsiung (台湾高雄) mission. rcomer@standard.net

I don't know anything about this writer in particular, but just because he is a BYU grad doesn't mean he couldn't write the article slanted against BYU football.

I've seen a lot of nasty slanted things said about UMass Football from UMass grads.
01-04-2016 04:43 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
(01-04-2016 04:05 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  BYU made the big error of thinking TV and the P5 would treat them like Notre Dame. They overestimated themselves and now are stuck.

What P5 invite did they turn down, so that they are now stuck? I am sure if they wanted to be in the MWC or AAC they would be accepted.
01-04-2016 05:25 PM
TrojanCampaign Online
All American

I Root For: USC, AAMU,
I personally don't see the big negative in them joining the AAC. Next year for example they play five G5 teams, a FCS team, and six P5 teams. I don't see why playing 8 AAC teams and playing four P5 teams would be a bad deal.

Arizona
Utah
UCLA
Miss State

Houston
East Carolina
Navy
Tulsa
Memphis
SMU
Tulane
UCF

If they went undefeated with this schedule they would be in a NY6 bowl or playoff.
(This post was last modified: 01-04-2016 05:28 PM by TrojanCampaign.)
01-04-2016 05:27 PM
MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MW
(01-04-2016 03:33 PM)HawkeyeCoug Wrote:  

Any best of the rest conference is still a G5 conference and just might as well join the MW, AAC or CUSA. We are not going to blow up conference at this level to form any best of the rest.

BYU went Indy when everything was changing and didn't bother to look ahead at the changes coming and went Indy because of Utah going to the PAC -12.
01-04-2016 05:28 PM
Advertisement

quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
Re: RE: Article: BYU needs to leave independence
(01-04-2016 05:27 PM)TrojanCampaign Wrote:  I personally don't see the big negative in them joining the AAC. Next year for example they play five G5 teams, a FCS team, and six P5 teams. I don't see why playing 8 AAC teams and playing four P5 teams would be a bad deal.

Arizona
Utah
UCLA
Miss State

Houston
East Carolina
Navy
Tulsa
Memphis
SMU
Tulane
UCF

If they went undefeated with this schedule they would be in a NY6 bowl or playoff.

Next year there will be only one at-large NY6 slot open. The Peach and Fiesta are playoffs, while the Orange, Sugar, and Rose are filled by contract. That leaves just the Cotton, and one of its slots will go to the top G5 team.
(This post was last modified: 01-04-2016 05:55 PM by quo vadis.)
01-04-2016 05:54 PM
vandiver49 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USNA/UTK
Article: BYU needs to leave independence
(01-04-2016 05:27 PM)TrojanCampaign Wrote:  I personally don't see the big negative in them joining the AAC. Next year for example they play five G5 teams, a FCS team, and six P5 teams. I don't see why playing 8 AAC teams and playing four P5 teams would be a bad deal.

Arizona
Utah
UCLA
Miss State

Houston
East Carolina
Navy
Tulsa
Memphis
SMU
Tulane
UCF

Because BYU measures themselves against Utah. Playing in the AAC isn't comparable to the Utes in the PAC
01-04-2016 05:55 PM
f1do Offline
Special Teams

All you need to know about Ryan Comer and what he thinks about BYU athletics comes in the first paragraph of another stellar article he wrote about BYU in December--right after the Nick Emery ejection for punching a Utah player.

http://www.standard.net/frontpage/2015/1...ng-me.html

Quote:Anyone who knows me knows I’ve never really been a big BYU sports fan. Yeah, I went there, and I know the natural assumption is that people cheer for their alma mater, but what can I say? I never could buy in.

So never confuse his articles with what BYU fans think. He writes for the Ogden Standard Examiner--which is at best the 3rd biggest Utah paper--just slightly ahead of the Daily Herald--which comes out of Provo. He is obviously either trying to back-slap with the anti-BYU crowd or striking the nerves of the BYU fanbase all in an effort for hits on the newspaper website. You can find opinions/articles with much more thought put into them if you spend any time at all on fan message boards if that is what you are after.
01-04-2016 05:57 PM
f1do Offline
Special Teams

(01-04-2016 05:28 PM)MWC Tex Wrote:  Any best of the rest conference is still a G5 conference and just might as well join the MW, AAC or CUSA. We are not going to blow up conference at this level to form any best of the rest.

BYU went Indy when everything was changing and didn't bother to look ahead at the changes coming and went Indy because of Utah going to the PAC -12.

That certainly is one factor since they would now be competing for recruits against their rival as a G5 team while they are a P5 team. But the real world is rarely that simple. There were plenty of issues going on between the MWC, BYU, and the Comcast TV agreement--not to mention that BYUtv was at a point to where it had the facilities and the reach to pick up the BYU broadcasts as a 3rd tier carrier as well as rebroadcast games to greatly increase their exposure to their fans outside of the intermountain west. Plus the independent route was deemed a step in the direction that could allow for eventual addition to a P5 conference should that opportunity arise since there would be no Grant of Rights or other thing to tie the school in place where they didn't want to be. This could go on and on and has on many occasions. But needless to say it isn't as simple as you pitched it. :)
01-04-2016 06:08 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.