Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

WMSB Recap: #12 W&M @ Elon
Bookmark and Share
WMSportsBlog Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: William & Mary
FIVE in a row for the Tribe and tied for FIRST in the CAA. Even though the Richmond game looms large, we can't look past a 2nd place Towson this weekend at home. A loss would be inexcusable and set up another regular season playoff against the Spiders the next week.

Good first half in this one against Elon, but the same can't bee said for the second half. Let's hope we put it all together for the rest of the season from here on out! LET'S GO TRIBE!!!

Recap Article: http://wmsportsblog.com/2015/11/08/recap-12-wm-elon/
(This post was last modified: 11-08-2015 03:53 PM by WMSportsBlog.)
11-08-2015 03:36 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

wanm65 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: W&M
RE: WMSB Recap: #12 W&M @ Elon
Excellent write as we now expect.

Maybe you should have mentioned the 315 passing yards we gave up to a FR & RFR combo as motivation for next week :<(
11-08-2015 04:16 PM
tribeintexas Offline
1st String

I Root For: William&Mary
MAS was running with some authority. It seemed like his injury woes are behind him. MAS and Kendall Anderson give us a dynamic duo.
11-09-2015 10:29 AM
Rocco Offline
All American

I Root For: William and Mar
(11-08-2015 04:16 PM)wanm65 Wrote:  Excellent write as we now expect.

Maybe you should have mentioned the 315 passing yards we gave up to a FR & RFR combo as motivation for next week :<(

On 49 attempts. With 221 (70%) of those yards coming in the 2nd half while W&M was up by 4 scores. And the Kool-Aid Brigade says I'm negative.
11-09-2015 11:48 PM
Tribe4SF Offline
1st String

(11-09-2015 11:48 PM)Rocco Wrote:  

On 49 attempts. With 221 (70%) of those yards coming in the 2nd half while W&M was up by 4 scores. And the Kool-Aid Brigade says I'm negative.

What has happened to you!

Return now to your relentless search for cracks in the wall. 05-mafia
11-10-2015 07:00 AM
wml33t Offline
1st String

Why in the world are you people putting me in the position of having to agree with Rocco?! The amount of negativism about a convincing win after two amazingly hard fought battles is ridiculous.
11-10-2015 07:18 AM
Advertisement

Rocco Offline
All American

(11-10-2015 07:00 AM)Tribe4SF Wrote:  

What has happened to you!

Return now to your relentless search for cracks in the wall. 05-mafia

I write what I see. Always have.
11-10-2015 07:31 AM
WMInTheBurg Offline
All American

Definitely with Rocco here. Teams that are terrible often have high passing yardage because they have to throw to catch up. Also, teams that are good often have poor yardage numbers for passing for the same reason. Cluley had a much better day than the guy who set Elon's single game record.
11-10-2015 09:12 AM
Tribal Offline

I don't think anyone has been overly crtical. JL said in his post game interview that we will work on several things. I understand a lot of that is coach speak but teams that want to be great are humble enough to acknowledge there are areas that need improvement. We were basically in a modified prevent defense in the second half because we had a huge lead and Elon couldn't run on us. Elon's QB was bound to rack up some yards. That said, if you aren't concerned with Elon marching down the field 90 yards in fewer than 10 plays on 2 occasions to score 2 TDs with essentially freshmen WRs, we will just have to agree to disagree.
(This post was last modified: 11-10-2015 09:34 AM by Tribal.)
11-10-2015 09:33 AM
TribePride91 Offline
All American

I Root For: W&M Tribe
(11-10-2015 09:33 AM)Tribal Wrote:  I don't think anyone has been overly crtical. JL said in his post game interview that we will work on several things. I understand a lot of that is coach speak but teams that want to be great are humble enough to acknowledge there are areas that need improvement. We were basically in a modified prevent defense in the second half because we had a huge lead and Elon couldn't run on us. Elon's QB was bound to rack up some yards. That said, if you aren't concerned with Elon marching down the field 90 yards in fewer than 10 plays on 2 occasions to score 2 TDs with essentially freshmen WRs, we will just have to agree to disagree.

I thought Elon was the worst game we played during the 5 game winning streak. If we play that way either of the next two weeks, we will get beat. Nevertheless, it was understandable. We got out to a big lead and we stopped playing hard. The outcome was never in doubt after the 1st quarter. Overall, it is probably good because they can focus on what happens both defensively and offensively when focus is lost. All that said, it was an easy win. There won't be any easy opponents left this year.
11-10-2015 09:50 AM
wanm65 Offline
Special Teams

Let's give Pete Clawson & Tony Vaughn acknowledgement for great recap videos of our games.

This week especially good with reference to BW Webb !
11-10-2015 11:15 AM
Advertisement

Dr. Ebirt Offline
Bench Warmer

Tony Vaughn is THE MAN behind those videos. They are 10x better than a lot of the media that larger athletic departments put out.
11-10-2015 11:41 AM
WMInTheBurg Offline
All American

(11-10-2015 09:33 AM)Tribal Wrote:  That said, if you aren't concerned with Elon marching down the field 90 yards in fewer than 10 plays on 2 occasions to score 2 TDs with essentially freshmen WRs, we will just have to agree to disagree.

I'm not concerned. I'm kind of happy that the team got to let up a little. It'll wear you down if every play matters in every game. Maybe the DC will junk that scheme altogether, since both Delaware and Elon scored at will against it. We could use a different end of game defensive strategy.
11-11-2015 12:25 AM
wanm65 Offline
Special Teams

(11-11-2015 12:25 AM)TribeInTheBurg Wrote:  
(11-10-2015 09:33 AM)Tribal Wrote:  That said, if you aren't concerned with Elon marching down the field 90 yards in fewer than 10 plays on 2 occasions to score 2 TDs with essentially freshmen WRs, we will just have to agree to disagree.

I'm not concerned. I'm kind of happy that the team got to let up a little. It'll wear you down if every play matters in every game. Maybe the DC will junk that scheme altogether, since both Delaware and Elon scored at will against it. We could use a different end of game defensive strategy.

I don't believe the team got to let up.They may have lost focus but the defensive play calling caused most of the problems. Remember JMU also scored at will. We won by TOP (JMU +17.32) 03-hissyfit

We win games by dominating TOP. When TOP is close look out! Then we will be down to who makes the critical mistake (blocked FG EG) 04-chairshot
11-11-2015 09:30 AM
Rocco Offline
All American

(11-11-2015 09:30 AM)wanm65 Wrote:  I don't believe the team got to let up.They may have lost focus but the defensive play calling caused most of the problems. Remember JMU also scored at will. We won by TOP (JMU +17.32) 03-hissyfit

We win games by dominating TOP. When TOP is close look out! Then we will be down to who makes the critical mistake (blocked FG EG) 04-chairshot

JMU scored at will because JMU has scored at will on everyone. When you factor in that 7 points came from a Pick-6 that was the fewest points JMU put up on offense all season. Think about that for a second. W&M won that game because JMU's defense is a turd fire. Elon had a total of 14 drives in the game. They scored on two of them, both in the 2nd half when W&M had a comfortable lead. Fire the entire defensive staff. Burn the defensive playbook.

W&M tends to dominate TOP because they often have leads in the 2nd half and they run the ball really well. TOP doesn't really matter all that much. TOP was close in the Elon game and W&M won easily. TOP was close against Lafayette and W&M won easily. W&M had a sizeable TOP advantage against UVA and lost because UVA hit a ton of big plays. When you're trying to bleed clock and the other team is in the hurry-up to make up points, you're going to win TOP.
11-11-2015 11:46 AM
wanm65 Offline
Special Teams

(11-11-2015 11:46 AM)Rocco Wrote:  
(11-11-2015 09:30 AM)wanm65 Wrote:  I don't believe the team got to let up.They may have lost focus but the defensive play calling caused most of the problems. Remember JMU also scored at will. We won by TOP (JMU +17.32) 03-hissyfit

JMU scored at will because JMU has scored at will on everyone. When you factor in that 7 points came from a Pick-6 that was the fewest points JMU put up on offense all season. Think about that for a second. W&M won that game because JMU's defense is a turd fire. Elon had a total of 14 drives in the game. They scored on two of them, both in the 2nd half when W&M had a comfortable lead. Fire the entire defensive staff. Burn the defensive playbook.

W&M tends to dominate TOP because they often have leads in the 2nd half and they run the ball really well. TOP doesn't really matter all that much. TOP was close in the Elon game and W&M won easily. TOP was close against Lafayette and W&M won easily. W&M had a sizeable TOP advantage against UVA and lost because UVA hit a ton of big plays. When you're trying to bleed clock and the other team is in the hurry-up to make up points, you're going to win TOP.

You are being a little too selective. We beat Elon & Laf because we easily had the better team. We lost to UVA because they are better & we could not stop them when we needed to. Also make the TOP +9:50 at UVA +15 & we win.

My point is that when we meet a balanced team (both D & O) if we do not dominate TOP we lose. Take away the the +17:32 we had on JMU & we lose.
11-11-2015 12:11 PM
Advertisement

Rocco Offline
All American

(11-11-2015 12:11 PM)wanm65 Wrote:  
(11-11-2015 11:46 AM)Rocco Wrote:  

You are being a little too selective. We beat Elon & Laf because we easily had the better team. We lost to UVA because they are better & we could not stop them when we needed to. Also make the TOP +9:50 at UVA +15 & we win.

My point is that when we meet a balanced team (both D & O) if we do not dominate TOP we lose. Take away the the +17:32 we had on JMU & we lose.

The TOP in that game had as much to do with W&M as it did with JMU's style of play. "Dominate TOP" is about as worthless on its own as "team is unbeaten when it runs more than 30 times a game."
11-11-2015 02:55 PM
hktribefan Offline
1st String

I think the most telling stat is that over the last 10 years the Tribe is undefeated when outscoring opponents in quarters 1-4.
11-11-2015 03:45 PM
wanm65 Offline
Special Teams

[/quote]

[/quote]

The TOP in that game had as much to do with W&M as it did with JMU's style of play. "Dominate TOP" is about as worthless on its own as "team is unbeaten when it runs more than 30 times a game."
[/quote]

I guess we will have to agree to disagree 03-lmfao

Or I could say the last time I checked it is almost impossible to score when you do NOT have the ball so TOP is important 03-nutkick
11-11-2015 03:48 PM
nogretheogre Offline
Lord of Bots & Tots

(11-11-2015 03:45 PM)hktribefan Wrote:  I think the most telling stat is that over the last 10 years the Tribe is undefeated when outscoring opponents in quarters 1-4.

Reminds me of my old soccer coach...only strategy during game was "score early and often."
11-11-2015 03:54 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.