Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

Cal scolds the city for not selling out the Forum tonight
Bookmark and Share
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl
Cal scolds the city for not selling out the Forum tonight
On the radio show, Cal just said that he was really disappointed that we didn't sell out the Forum for the # 4 team in the nation.

He knew that his comments would upset some people, but emphasized that we're not a national program right now. Pointed out that schools like Kentucky and Louisville would have sold out the game tonight. He didn't sound too happy about it.

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm gonna have to arrange my work schedule next season to be off EVERY home game, no matter what. I've always thought that if we lose Calipari to another school, it'll be due to his disgust with the mediocre crowds. I think he's given the city a mulligan over the last few years, considering how we've underachieved, but there aren't any excuses now.
12-20-2005 11:00 PM
Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

surfernmemphis Offline
Heisman

I Root For: The Tigers
Re: Cal scolds the city for not selling out the Forum tonigh
greekwolf Wrote:On the radio show, Cal just said that he was really disappointed that we didn't sell out the Forum for the # 4 team in the nation.

He knew that his comments would upset some people, but emphasized that we're not a national program right now. Pointed out that schools like Kentucky and Louisville would have sold out the game tonight. He didn't sound too happy about it.

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm gonna have to arrange my work schedule next season to be off EVERY home game, no matter what. I've always thought that if we lose Calipari to another school, it'll be due to his disgust with the mediocre crowds. I think he's given the city a mulligan over the last few years, considering how we've underachieved, but there aren't any excuses now.

The crowd was kinda week, but school is out.
12-20-2005 11:04 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ItsDude Offline
Heisman

I Root For:

I watched on TV from 300 miles away and it did look pretty sad. Where are all those bandwagon fans btiger was talking about?
12-20-2005 11:05 PM
ChattTiger Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:

It will be sold out next Tuesday, and the Tuesday after that, I guarantee.
12-20-2005 11:05 PM
TG4 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

ItsDude Wrote:I watched on TV from 300 miles away and it did look pretty sad. Where are all those bandwagon fans btiger was talking about?

btiger was having dinner with me at Fleming's. I told him I did not feel up to body guard duty tonight so we elected to stay away from downtown and watched the first half on one of the TV's in the bar.
12-20-2005 11:08 PM
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl

ChattTiger Wrote:It will be sold out next Tuesday, and the Tuesday after that, I guarantee.
He acknowledged that we'll be sold out for Gonzaga and Texas... but said that wasn't any excuse for the crowd tonight. He wants to see the Forum packed out no matter what night it is or who we play.

I do have to admit, that Kansas, Kentucky and Louisville will put 20,000 butts in the seats no matter who they are playing.

I'm hoping that he's not serious about this, because I can guarantee you that the city of Memphis will NEVER sell out the Forum when the Tigers are playing low mid-major teams. I'm sure he realizes this, so I don't know why he would even bring up the issue.
12-20-2005 11:08 PM
Advertisement

TigerTitan Offline
Ginourmous Fan

I Root For: MEMPHIS TIGERS

DonatorsDonators

If you think that is bad, I read on the Louisville ITV board tonight that Pitinio had to do some hand raising to the crowd to get them to yell for the team some more! They struggled, yet again, against another mediocre 2nd tier team, MTSU. 76-68.

The crowds are going to be down all over the country for the next two weeks. Get used to it, Cal.
12-20-2005 11:09 PM
ChattTiger Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:

school's being out had nothing to do it. The student sections were pretty full.

In fact, the lower level and club levels were as full as I've seen them this year.

If they want to sell out games against the lesser teams, they might want to consider discounting some of the upper level seats and marketing the games to groups.
12-20-2005 11:12 PM
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl

TigerTitan Wrote:If you think that is bad, I read on the Louisville ITV board tonight that Pitinio had to do some hand raising to the crowd to get them to yell for the team some more! They struggled, yet again, against another mediocre 2nd tier team, MTSU. 76-68.
haha I was following that game. Louisville was in trouble there at the end! They only had a 3 point lead with 2 minutes left in the game.

I don't know what the problem is there, but the Cards aren't anywhere close to being a top 25 team.
12-20-2005 11:12 PM
dan o Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Tigers

ChattTiger Wrote:It will be sold out next Tuesday, and the Tuesday after that, I guarantee.

Cal knows those games will be sold out. He is asking for every single home game support for the #4 team in the country. He says to come and watch our team, regardless of who we are playing. He is actually begging for more fans to do their part in making this a national program. Bashing Duke on a message board does not make us a national program.

I've been down the road with this program, and he is definitely on point here. Fo too many years, fans only show up for the "social events' games in football and basketball. There will be many season tickets wasted for the Gonzaga game that other folks could acutally use.

Cal seems to be saying that he had done his job towards making us a national program. Now its time for the fans to do their part. Says it will really help recruiting, and that is our job to help recruiting by showing up for ALL the games.

Probably preaching to the choir here, but we shall see.
12-20-2005 11:18 PM
FORealTigerFan Offline
Say What?

I Root For: Beer

Everybody is out christmas Shopping. 02-13-banana
12-20-2005 11:21 PM
Advertisement

Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl

dan o Wrote:Cal seems to be saying that he had done his job towards making us a national program. Now its time for the fans to do their part.
Yep. That's exactly how I interpreted it. "I've done my part. I've recruited the best players in the country and put a top 5 team out on the floor. Now it's time for you to come sell out this building and show these prime-time players that we're a big-time program."
12-20-2005 11:21 PM
ChattTiger Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:

I wonder how many people who were listening to the postgame show don't have season tickets and weren't at the game?

Again, they are going to have to do some marketing. Just saying it should be sold out isn't going to make it happen. We all know they deserve better support. But we're (at least most of us in town who post on here) not the ones staying away.
12-20-2005 11:22 PM
phototiger Away
gone

I Root For: quiet

even in the days of the coliseum and kirk, we only had crowds of 10,000.

i know he wants 18,000 for every game, and the team deserves it, but is simply will not happen against La Tech the week of Christmas.

We keep this rolling and by the end of january the place will be rocking for even conference games.

that said, season ticket holders need to be held accountable for not showing.

Cal wants a packed house? eliminate season ticket holders for one game and sell $20 lower bowl and $10 upper bowl for every seat in the house (minus students, blue crew, etc) and all those people that would like to come to a game (low income) will pack the joint and tear the roof off.
12-20-2005 11:33 PM
dan o Offline
Hall of Famer

phototiger Wrote:even in the days of the coliseum and kirk, we only had crowds of 10,000.

i know he wants 18,000 for every game, and the team deserves it, but is simply will not happen against La Tech the week of Christmas.

We keep this rolling and by the end of january the place will be rocking for even conference games.

that said, season ticket holders need to be held accountable for not showing.

Cal wants a packed house? eliminate season ticket holders for one game and sell $20 lower bowl and $10 upper bowl for every seat in the house (minus students, blue crew, etc) and all those people that would like to come to a game (low income) will pack the joint and tear the roof off.

You might have something there. Far too many season ticket holders show up for the "social event' games, and leave their seats empty for the others.

20,000+ students seems to be the best source for more butts in the seats. The Blue Crew is awesome, and I just wish more students could get in on the fun.

Is the upper deck of the FEF part of the problem?
12-20-2005 11:41 PM
fsquid Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis, Queens (NC)

CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesMemphis Hall of Fame

Quote:Cal wants a packed house? eliminate season ticket holders for one game and sell $20 lower bowl and $10 upper bowl for every seat in the house (minus students, blue crew, etc) and all those people that would like to come to a game (low income) will pack the joint and tear the roof off.

hmm, like last season's NIT games.
12-20-2005 11:44 PM
Advertisement

tigers1985 Offline
Spectacular

DonatorsDonators

Official attendence tonight: 13,761
12-20-2005 11:45 PM
TG4 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

phototiger Wrote:even in the days of the coliseum and kirk, we only had crowds of 10,000.

When I was in school (Yates' last two years and Kirk's first two years) I seem to remember the BBaller's always playing Arkansas, Ole Miss and Miss State during the Christmas breaks and attendance was pretty darn good. I even drove back to Memphis from Jackson to watch the Arkansas game during semster break. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Coach Calipari trying to kill these type of games since taking the program "National"? 01-wingedeagle
12-20-2005 11:50 PM
phototiger Away
gone

fsquid Wrote:
Quote:Cal wants a packed house? eliminate season ticket holders for one game and sell $20 lower bowl and $10 upper bowl for every seat in the house (minus students, blue crew, etc) and all those people that would like to come to a game (low income) will pack the joint and tear the roof off.

hmm, like last season's NIT games.

exactly.

there are easily 20,000 people in this city that want to go to games. there are plenty of low income dads that want to take their kids to see the tigers, at least once, yet the damn thing is corporate and money driven and the tickets for season ticket holders simply do not get used the way they should. i am glad for the u of m having a revenue stream, but a revenue stream does not equal butts in the seats.

the NIT last year, or more to the point the CUSA tourney, is the way it should be.
12-20-2005 11:50 PM
phototiger Away
gone

TG4 Wrote:

When I was in school (Yates last two years and Kirk's first two years) I seem to remember the BBaller's always playing Arkansas, Ole Miss and Miss State during the Christmas breaks and attendance was pretty darn good. I even drove back to Memphis from Jackson to watch the Arkansas game during semster break. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Coach Calipari trying to kill these type of games since taking the program "National"? 01-wingedeagle

well let's think here... 13,500 on dec 20 against la tech is GOOD. that is 3000 more than the coliseum held which means it is 3000 more people than the biggest home crowd EVER to see the 85 or 86 teams.

Cal wants a full building. what we need is a smaller building...on campus...but so long as we play downtown in an NBA arena (which i love btw) we will have to do with 13,000-15,0000 crowds.

it doesn't matter. we keep winning and the crowds will grow. it's christmas week...
12-20-2005 11:53 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.