Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

#BoycottCFBPlayoff
Bookmark and Share
KJ Eagle Offline
1st String

I Root For: Ga Southern
RE: #BoycottCFBPlayoff
(01-09-2018 03:37 PM)AppNation85 Wrote:  Didn’t watch it, don’t care. They’re not the real national champions. It’s not sanctioned by the NCAA and they didn’t even win their division of their conference much less their conference. Hope you guys enjoyed the ESPN money-grab invitational.

When has it been anything more than that anyway? Whether it was the original bowls, BCS era, CFP...It's ALWAYS been about the money. But it's also usually a bunch of good football, so I'm gonna watch.
01-09-2018 04:05 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
The4thOption Offline
1st String

I Root For: GeorgiaSouthern
(01-03-2018 08:03 AM)BirdofParadise Wrote:  Central Florida got hurt by the fact their game with Georgia Tech got cancelled.

But their strength of schedule was poor and they don't deserve to be in the playoff.

Now, before any of you start the "G5 will never get in," remember a few years ago. Houston had it right in front of them. They had already beaten Oklahoma and Louisville and were on their way to the playoff....then crapped the bed the last two weeks.

You can't see UCF beat Auburn and all of a sudden get smart (referring to some tv goons).

No they weren't. Every talking head on every sports channel said otherwise.
01-09-2018 05:26 PM
The4thOption Offline
1st String

(01-07-2018 10:19 AM)TroyFootball05 Wrote:  
(01-06-2018 08:19 PM)Pounce FTW Wrote:  How would you have felt about UCF in the final four before the win over Auburn? It really is perfect that they got to beat the one team that's beaten both of the championship game participants, but that's a pretty big data point that wasn't there at the time of the final rankings.

It's a data point that's incomplete. Teams don't win or lose games based on their data sheets - it's not virtual football. As you've somewhat alluded to, when they played Auburn matters. No way the toughness of the Auburn team they played was anywhere near what Auburn gave Georgia or Alabama. By the time they played Georgia again, they had beaten the #1 team in the country twice, and were simply worn out. And then they had to play a game vs UCF that's nearly impossibly to get up for after your hopes of playing for a natty were shattered.

(01-07-2018 03:35 AM)Shrack Wrote:  Alabama is probably one of the best 4 teams, but if you don't even win your division then you should NOT be in a 4 team playoff...

A 16 team playoff would be amazing, but of course will never happen.

If Alabama is one of the best four teams, they should be in the playoffs, period, regardless of whether you think they "deserve" it. "They didn't take care of business" shouldn't be anywhere near this discussion. It's not about what they were "supposed" to do like there's some kind of rules to this. It's about what they are, plain and simple. Either they are one of the best four, or they're not. If losing a conference championship games leads you to believe they aren't one of the four best so be it, but you can't say they are one of the best four, but because they didn't do "abc" or "xyz", they don't get to be in the playoffs. That's the kind of sinister "rule making" that will get G5s left out in better playoff formats. Either you're the best or you're not, period.

I can't believe you are supporting this crap system.
They didn't beat UCF.
This CRAP about Auburn just not being tough anymore by the time they played UCF is total BS.
Maybe UGA wasn't tough anymore or wore out after playing Auburn twice and OK, so the Bama title doesn't mean much then?
This not getting up for a team is also garbage. If Auburn can't get up for defending themselves from losing to a g5, then they don't deserve to be in the SEC. I watched that game, Auburn was trying HARD to survive... they just got beat.
Stop with the excuses.
Bottom line, the system is rigged and the only way ANY G5 gets a shot is with playoff expansion and most likely with a guaranteed spot for at leas the Access rep.
The SEC doesn't need your defense.
Are you a bama fan or something?
01-09-2018 05:33 PM
GreatAppSt Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(01-09-2018 12:28 PM)Tiguar Wrote:  
(01-09-2018 11:21 AM)CoastalAlum2011 Wrote:  Who won?

UGA 13

Bama 6

Refs 27
01-ncaabbs
01-09-2018 05:54 PM
TroyFootball05 Offline
1987 Man of the Year

I Root For: Good Times
(01-09-2018 05:33 PM)The4thOption Wrote:  
(01-07-2018 10:19 AM)TroyFootball05 Wrote:  
(01-06-2018 08:19 PM)Pounce FTW Wrote:  How would you have felt about UCF in the final four before the win over Auburn? It really is perfect that they got to beat the one team that's beaten both of the championship game participants, but that's a pretty big data point that wasn't there at the time of the final rankings.

It's a data point that's incomplete. Teams don't win or lose games based on their data sheets - it's not virtual football. As you've somewhat alluded to, when they played Auburn matters. No way the toughness of the Auburn team they played was anywhere near what Auburn gave Georgia or Alabama. By the time they played Georgia again, they had beaten the #1 team in the country twice, and were simply worn out. And then they had to play a game vs UCF that's nearly impossibly to get up for after your hopes of playing for a natty were shattered.

(01-07-2018 03:35 AM)Shrack Wrote:  Alabama is probably one of the best 4 teams, but if you don't even win your division then you should NOT be in a 4 team playoff...

A 16 team playoff would be amazing, but of course will never happen.

If Alabama is one of the best four teams, they should be in the playoffs, period, regardless of whether you think they "deserve" it. "They didn't take care of business" shouldn't be anywhere near this discussion. It's not about what they were "supposed" to do like there's some kind of rules to this. It's about what they are, plain and simple. Either they are one of the best four, or they're not. If losing a conference championship games leads you to believe they aren't one of the four best so be it, but you can't say they are one of the best four, but because they didn't do "abc" or "xyz", they don't get to be in the playoffs. That's the kind of sinister "rule making" that will get G5s left out in better playoff formats. Either you're the best or you're not, period.

I can't believe you are supporting this crap system.
They didn't beat UCF.
This CRAP about Auburn just not being tough anymore by the time they played UCF is total BS.
Maybe UGA wasn't tough anymore or wore out after playing Auburn twice and OK, so the Bama title doesn't mean much then?
This not getting up for a team is also garbage. If Auburn can't get up for defending themselves from losing to a g5, then they don't deserve to be in the SEC. I watched that game, Auburn was trying HARD to survive... they just got beat.
Stop with the excuses.
Bottom line, the system is rigged and the only way ANY G5 gets a shot is with playoff expansion and most likely with a guaranteed spot for at leas the Access rep.
The SEC doesn't need your defense.
Are you a bama fan or something?

I'm not. There are much better options. I'm saying if Alabama is legit one of the four best, they should be in the playoffs, and not left out because of a qualifier that doesn't do what it's supposed to do. In a 12 game regular season, one game cannot have that much weight.

You don't have to be an Alabama fan to enjoy good football. I don't care if Troy fans roast me. Some of you guys take this conference / team loyalty stuff way too seriously.

The idea that human psychology doesn't play into how well teams play is bogus. You can have your power ratings and I'll go on believing that college football is much more fluid than people want to realize. Auburn beat the brakes off of Georgia and then got curb stomped by the same Georgia team a few weeks later. Power ratings be damned. I'm supposed to believe that Auburn has been the same all season? That they played with the same drive and determination as they did vs two different #1 teams? Naw man.

Of course I would have liked UCF or even Troy to have a chance in an 8 or 16 team playoff. But as it is, right now, in a four team playoff, they got it right. Alabama lost one game before getting into the playoffs, UCF was undefeated. Even if you could somehow qualify the win over Auburn, no one had goggles to see into the future. Alabama beat three ranked teams to UCF's one, and played a tougher SEC schedule, even if the league on the whole is down. You don't have to be an Alabama fan to see that.
01-09-2018 06:24 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Shrack Offline
All American

I Root For: UAB
#BoycottCFBPlayoff
Replace the names of the teams. UCF would not have gotten into the playoff with Alabama's exact SOS/margin of victory, losing by double digits to a highly ranked team in their last regular game, and thus not even winning their division or conference.

No chance at all. They would not have been let in. Period. End of story.

That's the argument.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
01-09-2018 11:41 PM
KJ Eagle Offline
1st String

(01-09-2018 11:41 PM)Shrack Wrote:  Replace the names of the teams. UCF would not have gotten into the playoff with Alabama's exact SOS/margin of victory, losing by double digits to a highly ranked team in their last regular game, and thus not even winning their division or conference.

That's the argument.

I'll start by saying I would love for a G5 team to have a real shot at the CFP and I think the system is flawed. But it's the system that we have right now and they are the rules that we have to play by, and everyone (G5 included) knew what they were getting into when they signed up.

I'll add another layer to your "take the names off the teams" theory and ask you a question too. Take the names off of BOTH teams: One plays in the SEC, has been ranked #1 or #2 all season and has one loss to it's biggest rival (who also had just beaten the #1 team in the country two weeks before). The other plays in the AAC (or any other G5 conference for that matter) has been ranked no higher than 12 all season, has not lost, but has a lower SOS than team 1.

Take your G5 blinders off for a minute. Which team do you choose to go in based on the rules as they stand now? I'm not asking who "deserved" it. I'm asking based on the committee's mandate to put the four BEST teams in the CFP, who is the better team and therefore gets the fourth spot?
01-10-2018 08:18 AM
southjag09 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: South Alabama,
(01-08-2018 02:42 PM)airtroop Wrote:  
(01-07-2018 09:27 PM)EigenEagle Wrote:  If UCF played Alabama's schedule they'd be lucky to be 8-4.

Not so quick. Bama hasn't played one non-conference game on the road since 2006. Must be nice, eh? Not to mention, Fresno State and Colorado State gave them hell this year, too.

Alabama played Penn State in Happy Valley in 2011 or 12, I can't remember.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using CSNbbs mobile app
01-10-2018 08:32 AM
The4thOption Offline
1st String

(01-10-2018 08:18 AM)KJ Eagle Wrote:  
(01-09-2018 11:41 PM)Shrack Wrote:  Replace the names of the teams. UCF would not have gotten into the playoff with Alabama's exact SOS/margin of victory, losing by double digits to a highly ranked team in their last regular game, and thus not even winning their division or conference.

That's the argument.

I'll start by saying I would love for a G5 team to have a real shot at the CFP and I think the system is flawed. But it's the system that we have right now and they are the rules that we have to play by, and everyone (G5 included) knew what they were getting into when they signed up.

I'll add another layer to your "take the names off the teams" theory and ask you a question too. Take the names off of BOTH teams: One plays in the SEC, has been ranked #1 or #2 all season and has one loss to it's biggest rival (who also had just beaten the #1 team in the country two weeks before). The other plays in the AAC (or any other G5 conference for that matter) has been ranked no higher than 12 all season, has not lost, but has a lower SOS than team 1.

Take your G5 blinders off for a minute. Which team do you choose to go in based on the rules as they stand now? I'm not asking who "deserved" it. I'm asking based on the committee's mandate to put the four BEST teams in the CFP, who is the better team and therefore gets the fourth spot?

The problem is that the rankings are rigged and flawed. They are an opinion, not proven facts.
Listen to coach Frost talk about the changes week to week and the apparent intentional efforts made to keep UCF ranked lower just to give the exact argument you just made more validity. But the rankings that argument are based on are not valid.

I'm not saying Alabama shouldn't be in. I'm saying we can't do it with four teams.
All this, "The system is what it is and it's the rules we have to play by and live with, we knew what we were getting into".. Is Crap.

Nobody is saying to change 2017. We are talking about fixing the problem for the future. We shouldn't just accept it. That is the United voice that needs to be heard loud and clear from every fan, player, coach, President and commissioner associated with the G5.
01-10-2018 08:55 AM
KJ Eagle Offline
1st String

(01-10-2018 08:55 AM)The4thOption Wrote:  
(01-10-2018 08:18 AM)KJ Eagle Wrote:  

That's the argument.

The problem is that the rankings are rigged and flawed. They are an opinion, not proven facts.
Listen to coach Frost talk about the changes week to week and the apparent intentional efforts made to keep UCF ranked lower just to give the exact argument you just made more validity. But the rankings that argument are based on are not valid.

I'm not saying Alabama shouldn't be in. I'm saying we can't do it with four teams.
All this, "The system is what it is and it's the rules we have to play by and live with, we knew what we were getting into".. Is Crap.

Nobody is saying to change 2017. We are talking about fixing the problem for the future. We shouldn't just accept it. That is the United voice that needs to be heard loud and clear from every fan, player, coach, President and commissioner associated with the G5.

I didn't say that they weren't flawed. But my point (IMO), is that UCF can't complain about being screwed AFTER they went 13-0 if they weren't complaining about the system and trying to bring about change BEFORE they went 13-0 too.

Is it flawed? Yes. Does it need to be changed? Yes. Are G5's purposefully held down? Yes. But whether it needs to be changed or not was not my point. There are many that feel UCF should have been in the CFP "because they were undefeated" and I don't agree with that. I don't agree that just because they were undefeated it meant that they were a BETTER team than any of the four that made the CFP, and therefore should have been in the CFP.
01-10-2018 09:12 AM
warhawk09 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Bob
(01-07-2018 09:27 PM)EigenEagle Wrote:  If UCF played Alabama's schedule they'd be lucky to be 8-4.

Not so quick. Bama hasn't played one non-conference game on the road since 2006. Must be nice, eh? Not to mention, Fresno State and Colorado State gave them hell this year, too.

What? Stop making stuff up to fit your narrative.

Alabama was up 34-3 early in the fourth quarter against Fresno and outgained them by 224 yards.

Alabama was up 41-10 on Colorado State early in the fourth quarter and averaged 3.1 more yards per play.
01-10-2018 09:56 AM
AppManDG Offline
Heisman

I Root For: App State

They played FSU (three times), VA Tech (twice), Clemson, So Cal, Wisconsin, WVA & Michigan at netural sites (Atlanta, Jacksonville, Arlington). They also played at Penn State in 2011 & Duke in 2010. App fans used to make the same argument against GA Southern before they joined the SoCon. Some of those early national championship schedules were ridiculously easy. Last time I checked they still had the banners.
01-10-2018 10:34 AM
AppManDG Offline
Heisman

I Root For: App State
(This post was last modified: 01-10-2018 10:41 AM by AppManDG.)
01-10-2018 10:37 AM
Usajags Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: South Alabama
This conversation is stupid.
01-10-2018 10:47 AM
kevinwmsn Offline
1st String

Auburn didn't have anything to play for. The loser of SEC championship game usually doesn't play well when they we up for National Title and doesn't even win the conference and plays a team they aren't interested in playing such as Alabama losing to Utah and Oklahoma. The mess about Alabama not winning division is just a mess, all divisions aren't balanced in conferences. If Tua would have started all season, bama would have won by more and beat auburn.
01-10-2018 05:29 PM
Fanther Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: GSU
I am surprised no one has called for a 130-team round robin.
01-10-2018 06:45 PM
Usajags Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

(01-10-2018 06:45 PM)Fanther Wrote:  I am surprised no one has called for a 130-team round robin.

We have that, it's called the season.

We could just have a changing schedule, predicated by the events of the week before. Double elimination tournament style. Lose twice your season is over. Seeding is decided by the standings from the season before.
01-10-2018 09:14 PM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
(01-09-2018 05:26 PM)The4thOption Wrote:  
(01-03-2018 08:03 AM)BirdofParadise Wrote:  Central Florida got hurt by the fact their game with Georgia Tech got cancelled.

But their strength of schedule was poor and they don't deserve to be in the playoff.

Now, before any of you start the "G5 will never get in," remember a few years ago. Houston had it right in front of them. They had already beaten Oklahoma and Louisville and were on their way to the playoff....then crapped the bed the last two weeks.

You can't see UCF beat Auburn and all of a sudden get smart (referring to some tv goons).

No they weren't. Every talking head on every sports channel said otherwise.

Agree. Even if Houston had gone undefeated in 2016, it wouldnt have mattered. In fact, UCF was dismissed by the Commiittee as not top 10 worthy due to thier weak SOS (schedule ranked #72). The 2016 Houston schedule actually had an inferior SOS (ranked #76 in 2016).
01-11-2018 12:21 AM
eagleskins Offline
1st String

I Root For: GSU
(01-10-2018 05:29 PM)kevinwmsn Wrote:  Auburn didn't have anything to play for. The loser of SEC championship game usually doesn't play well when they we up for National Title and doesn't even win the conference and plays a team they aren't interested in playing such as Alabama losing to Utah and Oklahoma. The mess about Alabama not winning division is just a mess, all divisions aren't balanced in conferences. If Tua would have started all season, bama would have won by more and beat auburn.

The standard response from SEC fans.
01-11-2018 02:27 AM
FoUTASportscaster Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UTA
^Seems Toledo had the same problem as the SEC.
01-11-2018 03:59 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.