Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

2022-23 mlb Hot Stove (offseason) Thread
GoodOwl Offline
The 1 Hoo Knocks

I Root For: New Horizons
Question 2022-23 mlb Hot Stove (offseason) Thread
Braves signed Spencer Strider long-term after barely over one season. Locked up a strong looking core through at least 2027 season. Will Dansby re-sign? That's the big off-season question. Also, Max Fried could use an extension.
10-10-2022 05:12 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

stever20 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Sports
RE: 2022-23 mlb Hot Stove (offseason) Thread
The Strider one is one that could easily blow up in their faces. Really not that much gain(only bought out 1-2 years of free agency).

Fried is the big one IMO. Got a projected 12.2 million dollar salary coming up in arbitration.

Not sure that I see Dansby resigning. Not with Grissom there to take over at SS.
10-10-2022 09:13 PM
stever20 Offline
Legend

1 thing not sure MLB will be happy about- with the Padres win over the Mets, Tatis will now be eligible to return before the Mexico City series end of April. If they had lost the Mets Series, he'd have returned the day after. Now he's back after 25 games with this series going 4, and that number could shrink much more depending on the Padres.
10-13-2022 01:52 PM
Brookes Owl Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice Owls
The Parliament AwardsCrappiesDonators
Dodgers will look quite different next year. Free agents:
Tyler Anderson
Joey Gallo
Andrew Heaney
Tommy Kahnle
Clayton Kershaw
Craig Kimbrel
Chris Martin
Kevin Pillar
David Price
Trea Turner

Close to a guarantee we won't see Kimbrel, Pillar, Price next year (actually, Price IS a guarantee - he's retiring). Kershaw hinting he wants to play at least one more year but LA will probably have competition from Texas again. Heany and Martin could go either way depending on price. I'd love to see Anderson come back - he had a spectacular year. I know he loves what the Dodgers did for him but I don't think that translates into giving a home team discount (and to be clear, I don't think it should). I've seen projections on the order of 2 years $22M and I think I (and LA) would go for that in a heartbeat. Turner, I dunno. I'd hate to lose him but he's gonna demand $300MM or more and I just don't think LA will go for that. And I don't get the sense Trea has any particular love for LA.

Safe to assume they'll target some mid-lower level relief pitching or smaller contract position players in free agency, like always, but I don't know if LA goes after any big time free agents. If they do it'll be pitching. I wouldn't be surprised to see them in on deGrom or Rodon, especially if Kershaw and/or Anderson go elsewhere.
(This post was last modified: 10-17-2022 12:57 PM by Brookes Owl.)
10-17-2022 12:57 PM
GoodOwl Offline
The 1 Hoo Knocks

I Root For: New Horizons
Question RE: 2022-23 mlb Hot Stove (offseason) Thread
(10-17-2022 12:57 PM)Brookes Owl Wrote:  Dodgers will look quite different next year. Free agents:
Tyler Anderson
Joey Gallo
Andrew Heaney
Tommy Kahnle
Clayton Kershaw
Craig Kimbrel
Chris Martin
Kevin Pillar
David Price
Trea Turner

Close to a guarantee we won't see Kimbrel, Pillar, Price next year (actually, Price IS a guarantee - he's retiring). Kershaw hinting he wants to play at least one more year but LA will probably have competition from Texas again. Heany and Martin could go either way depending on price. I'd love to see Anderson come back - he had a spectacular year. I know he loves what the Dodgers did for him but I don't think that translates into giving a home team discount (and to be clear, I don't think it should). I've seen projections on the order of 2 years $22M and I think I (and LA) would go for that in a heartbeat. Turner, I dunno. I'd hate to lose him but he's gonna demand $300MM or more and I just don't think LA will go for that. And I don't get the sense Trea has any particular love for LA.

Safe to assume they'll target some mid-lower level relief pitching or smaller contract position players in free agency, like always, but I don't know if LA goes after any big time free agents. If they do it'll be pitching. I wouldn't be surprised to see them in on deGrom or Rodon, especially if Kershaw and/or Anderson go elsewhere.

Jansen's available, isn't he? Big homecoming in the works?
10-17-2022 01:05 PM
stever20 Offline
Legend

(10-17-2022 12:57 PM)Brookes Owl Wrote:  Dodgers will look quite different next year. Free agents:
Tyler Anderson
Joey Gallo
Andrew Heaney
Tommy Kahnle
Clayton Kershaw
Craig Kimbrel
Chris Martin
Kevin Pillar
David Price
Trea Turner

I think a guy they might look at is Verlander.

Will be interesting to see if they pick up the option on Justin Turner.
10-17-2022 01:42 PM
Advertisement

Brookes Owl Offline
Heisman

(10-17-2022 01:42 PM)stever20 Wrote:  
Tyler Anderson
Joey Gallo
Andrew Heaney
Tommy Kahnle
Clayton Kershaw
Craig Kimbrel
Chris Martin
Kevin Pillar
David Price
Trea Turner

I think a guy they might look at is Verlander.

Will be interesting to see if they pick up the option on Justin Turner.

Forgot about that. Justin is a hero in LA but struggled for a large part of the year and is about to turn 38. 2022 WAR was 1/2 of 2021. A couple of months ago it was a slam dunk the team would NOT pick up the option. He really picked up late (last 2 weeks of September and post-season notwithstanding) so I don't think it's a slam dunk anymore but definitely still in play. $2MM to buyout $16MM is a pretty good deal if you think you can get 2ish WAR elsewhere.

Kind of doubt it re Verlander but you never know.
(This post was last modified: 10-17-2022 03:16 PM by Brookes Owl.)
10-17-2022 03:15 PM
Erictelevision Offline
All American

I Root For: Uconn hoops
Rangers named Bochy manager
10-21-2022 01:04 PM
stever20 Offline
Legend

So with Bochy off the market and also 3 interim managers signed to the permanent job- we're down to White Sox, Royals, and Marlins for open jobs right now.
10-21-2022 01:21 PM
Brookes Owl Offline
Heisman

Rumor mill is claiming Dodgers will make a serious run at Judge. My guess is they'll explore it a little, and maybe even put a Bauer-esque (high AAV, short duration) offer on the table, but does any team other than the Yankees have a realistic chance of signing him? I'm sure LA would love to land him but my guess is the goal would be to push the Yankees spending so they're a less serious competitor for other FAs the Dodgers have a better chance of landing.
10-25-2022 11:35 AM
stever20 Offline
Legend

a surprise here-
10-29-2022 12:54 PM
Advertisement

stever20 Offline
Legend

I'd say pretty expected now-
10-29-2022 01:31 PM
Erictelevision Offline
All American

If people don’t have the attention span to watch baseball, THEN DON’T WATCH! Nobody forcing you to watch!
10-29-2022 02:56 PM
stever20 Offline
Legend

(10-29-2022 02:56 PM)Erictelevision Wrote:  If people don’t have the attention span to watch baseball, THEN DON’T WATCH! Nobody forcing you to watch!

I don't think it's just that. Baseball wants to get the bullpenning out of it. By doing this, they can keep on limiting the number of pitchers and the number of options allowed. Regular season it totally makes sense.

Playoffs obviously a whole another thing.
10-29-2022 03:08 PM
stever20 Offline
Legend

10-30-2022 12:16 AM
Brookes Owl Offline
Heisman

(10-29-2022 03:08 PM)stever20 Wrote:  
(10-29-2022 02:56 PM)Erictelevision Wrote:  If people don’t have the attention span to watch baseball, THEN DON’T WATCH! Nobody forcing you to watch!

I don't think it's just that.

What are y’all talking about?! There is a zero % chance that anyone remotely connected to MLB would ever say/think that people should tune out if they don’t like what they’re watching. Most of the changes we’re seeing right now are aimed at keeping and attracting fans!
10-30-2022 01:39 PM
Advertisement

stever20 Offline
Legend

(10-30-2022 01:39 PM)Brookes Owl Wrote:  
(10-29-2022 03:08 PM)stever20 Wrote:  

I don't think it's just that.

What are y’all talking about?! There is a zero % chance that anyone remotely connected to MLB would ever say/think that people should tune out if they don’t like what they’re watching. Most of the changes we’re seeing right now are aimed at keeping and attracting fans!

I agree with you. I think that's a lot to do with it for sure. But not just that- I think the pitching part as well. By not having the long extra innings, baseball can really limit the number of relievers like they want as well. Teams can't say we've got to have more than 8 due to extras.
10-30-2022 02:19 PM
Erictelevision Offline
All American

I just think baseball is WAY overthinking this! If they want to attract fans, they need to show fans a true representation of the sport. Leave gimmicky stuff to WWE type leagues.
10-30-2022 05:04 PM
stever20 Offline
Legend

(10-30-2022 05:04 PM)Erictelevision Wrote:  I just think baseball is WAY overthinking this! If they want to attract fans, they need to show fans a true representation of the sport. Leave gimmicky stuff to WWE type leagues.

It's just reality. New fans don't want to sit thru 18 inning slogs in regular season.
10-30-2022 05:15 PM
Erictelevision Offline
All American

Seriously?! I doubt you need to take off your shoes to count how many games went even 15 this season. In any event, if people are that easily bored, no big loss.
10-30-2022 07:28 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.