Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Navy is having a special year, what's in store for the future?
PirateJP Offline
All American

I Root For: ECU; Charlotte
Navy is having a special year, what's in store for the future?
How much (if any) drop off should be expected next year? They lose 32 seniors including their top 4 rushers on offense. Can Tago Smith run the triple option as effectively as Reynolds has these last 4 years?
11-09-2015 03:49 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

C2__ Offline
Caltex2

I Root For: Houston, PVAMU
RE: Navy is having a special year, what's in store for the future?
It should be obvious that they are not capable of sustaining this. That's not a slight as much as it is a way pointing out what their mission is as an institution.

They'll be dangerous because of the continuity of the coaching staff and the complexity of their offense but to expect them to be ranked or even take the next step and start competing for national titles again is asking a bit much.
11-09-2015 04:08 AM
KnightLight Offline
Legend

I Root For: UCF
(11-09-2015 04:08 AM)_C2_ Wrote:  It should be obvious that they are not capable of sustaining this. That's not a slight as much as it is a way pointing out what their mission is as an institution.

They'll be dangerous because of the continuity of the coaching staff and the complexity of their offense but to expect them to be ranked or even take the next step and start competing for national titles again is asking a bit much.

But the opposite seems true...as Navy has enjoyed winning since all except 1 year since 2003.

While Navy might end up with 10 plus wins this year....odds are...they will probably have a good shot at fielding a winning team next year...and then maybe make a conf run in another year or two.

Navy has had very good past success in replacing multi-year starters most season...and while this year they have a lot of Seniors at key positions...history shows that they will be a tough out in most upcoming seasons too.
11-09-2015 07:15 AM
blunderbuss Offline
Banned

I Root For: ECU & the CSA
(11-09-2015 07:15 AM)KnightLight Wrote:  
(11-09-2015 04:08 AM)_C2_ Wrote:  It should be obvious that they are not capable of sustaining this. That's not a slight as much as it is a way pointing out what their mission is as an institution.

But the opposite seems true...as Navy has enjoyed winning since all except 1 year since 2003.

While Navy might end up with 10 plus wins this year....odds are...they will probably have a good shot at fielding a winning team next year...and then maybe make a conf run in another year or two.

Navy has had very good past success in replacing multi-year starters most season...and while this year they have a lot of Seniors at key positions...history shows that they will be a tough out in most upcoming seasons too.

Thanks for pointing that out. Navy has been a damn good team for 12 years running. I expect them to be in the top 4 or 5 AAC teams consistently.
11-09-2015 08:13 AM
pesik Offline
Legend

I Root For: Houston
most people dont even realize that navy lost alot coming into this year..

navy doesnt need talent or even experience (beyond the qb) they just need discipline and their coach has done a great job instilling that

tago looked great versus ND....i doubt they have as good a year as they had this year but they will be a regular 7-8 win team
11-09-2015 09:19 AM
HuskyU Offline
Big East Overlord

I Root For: UCONN
Navy was a slam dunk addition to this conference. We are very lucky to have them.
11-09-2015 09:23 AM
Advertisement

Hausna06 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Navy
If things work out like they planned, we should get a little better. Part of joining the conference was to attract better athletes. You may wonder why Navy is in the West because it makes no sense geographically. We lobbied for it, to increase exposure and recruiting in TX, Florida, Louisiana, etc.

Nobody will be as good as Keenan Reynolds, but Tago is faster and actually has in-game experience. I expect the offense to continue to flow next year at least.
(This post was last modified: 11-09-2015 10:46 AM by Hausna06.)
11-09-2015 09:29 AM
mairving Offline
Ignant Homer

I Root For: Memphis
Navy loses their quarterback and a lot of other players. Teams that haven't played against the triple option now will at least have some experience. Navy will probably be in the 6 win range next season.
11-09-2015 10:39 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
MemTiger90 Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis
Navy is going to ruin seasons in this conference for years to come.
11-09-2015 10:46 AM
NavyHusker Offline
2nd String

Navy's coaching staff is really pumped about our current SO & FR class. We have a system in place. We rotate tons of guys so even if we lose a lot of seniors, most of their replacements have a pretty decent number of letter winners to replace them.

We may have a bit of a drop off next year, but I don't expect much. Ken Niumatalolo has a pipeline system in place. Until something changes, we should be around the same level for the next 3-5 years.

Thanks to all the accolades though.
11-09-2015 10:54 AM
geef Offline
JV Bench Warmer

I Root For: Binturongs
(11-09-2015 09:29 AM)Hausna06 Wrote:  If things work out like they planned, we should get a little better. Part of joining the conference was to attract better athletes. You may wonder why Navy is in the West because it makes no sense geographically. We lobbied for it, to increase exposure and recruiting in TX, Florida, Louisiana, etc.

Nobody will be as good as Keenan Reynolds, but Tago is faster and actually has in-game experience. I expect the offense to continue to flow next year at least.

I'm about to ask a very uninformed question. Candidates for the Naval Academy need to receive an appointment, and it's often from a member of Congress. The academy is also one of the more difficult places to get into. If there is a concentrated number of football recruits coming from one geographic area, does that mean that they could possibly take away some of the appointment spots for other students?
11-09-2015 10:54 AM
Advertisement

NavyHusker Offline
2nd String

(11-09-2015 10:54 AM)geef Wrote:  
(11-09-2015 09:29 AM)Hausna06 Wrote:  If things work out like they planned, we should get a little better. Part of joining the conference was to attract better athletes. You may wonder why Navy is in the West because it makes no sense geographically. We lobbied for it, to increase exposure and recruiting in TX, Florida, Louisiana, etc.

I'm about to ask a very uninformed question. Candidates for the Naval Academy need to receive an appointment, and it's often from a member of Congress. The academy is also one of the more difficult places to get into. If there is a concentrated number of football recruits coming from one geographic area, does that mean that they could possibly take away some of the appointment spots for other students?

Yes and no. Most applicants must receive a nomination from a member of congress or VP. Each member of congress (& VP) can have up to 5 constituents in each service academy (Coast Guard & Merchant Marine work on a different system) at any one time. That means that in general each member of congress has 1 open slot per year and occasionally 2.

For each slot, they can nominate 10 candidates. They may be ranked or unranked & the academy gets to pick depending upon how the member likes to operate. Out of those 10, 1 is accepted with an appointment. Not all appointments will ultimately come to their respective SA on their start date so more appointments are given than expected to arrive.

But with 535 members of congress, that means that about 600-650 congressional appointments are made each year. Arriving classes are generally about 1200-1400 or so (varies from year to year). Some come from the fleet as enlisted sailors and Marines.

So that ends up making up about 1000 of the class roughly. The rest can come from other means (e.g. such as children of POWs, KIA/MIA, Medal of Honor recipients children, and other means). There are a limited number of slots available to the superintendent and the Naval Academy Foundation, but these are pretty limited & all candidates regardless of appointment source must meet the standards for admission or they don't get in. There are some athletes who are wanted by the coaches but can't get in. The coaches know this so they essentially pre-screen recruits and only go after guys that they are sure they can get admitted.

It's a little more complicated than this, but this pretty much sums up the process without getting too verbose.
(This post was last modified: 11-09-2015 11:07 AM by NavyHusker.)
11-09-2015 11:05 AM
navy68 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: USNA
Just to add to what Navy Husker said.....
as he mentioned. appointments are available through the regular and reserve units in the fleet, USMC, etc.
Athletes for instance who are at the Naval Academy Prep School get their appointments through the Naval Reserve or USMC reserve. I should have fact checked this first, but I believe that to still be the case. My experience goes back about 50 years and may be dated........ holy cow.... 50 years????
(This post was last modified: 11-09-2015 11:48 AM by navy68.)
11-09-2015 11:47 AM
geef Offline
JV Bench Warmer

I Root For: Binturongs
(11-09-2015 11:05 AM)NavyHusker Wrote:  

Yes and no. Most applicants must receive a nomination from a member of congress or VP. Each member of congress (& VP) can have up to 5 constituents in each service academy (Coast Guard & Merchant Marine work on a different system) at any one time. That means that in general each member of congress has 1 open slot per year and occasionally 2.

For each slot, they can nominate 10 candidates. They may be ranked or unranked & the academy gets to pick depending upon how the member likes to operate. Out of those 10, 1 is accepted with an appointment. Not all appointments will ultimately come to their respective SA on their start date so more appointments are given than expected to arrive.

But with 535 members of congress, that means that about 600-650 congressional appointments are made each year. Arriving classes are generally about 1200-1400 or so (varies from year to year). Some come from the fleet as enlisted sailors and Marines.

So that ends up making up about 1000 of the class roughly. The rest can come from other means (e.g. such as children of POWs, KIA/MIA, Medal of Honor recipients children, and other means). There are a limited number of slots available to the superintendent and the Naval Academy Foundation, but these are pretty limited & all candidates regardless of appointment source must meet the standards for admission or they don't get in. There are some athletes who are wanted by the coaches but can't get in. The coaches know this so they essentially pre-screen recruits and only go after guys that they are sure they can get admitted.

It's a little more complicated than this, but this pretty much sums up the process without getting too verbose.

Fantastic explanation. I really appreciate it.
11-09-2015 11:50 AM
dezagcoog Offline
1st String

I Root For: Coogs!
(11-09-2015 11:50 AM)geef Wrote:  
(11-09-2015 11:05 AM)NavyHusker Wrote:  

Fantastic explanation. I really appreciate it.

Yeah me too! Good interesting info. Thanks!
11-09-2015 11:55 AM
pirates4lyfe Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Pirates
You don't lose an all time great QB and get better, but Navy has a great coaching staff and has consistently been good for over a decade now. Depending on coaching turnover in the west next year they will be one of the favorites in the division.
11-09-2015 11:57 AM
Advertisement

NavyHusker Offline
2nd String

(11-09-2015 11:47 AM)navy68 Wrote:  Just to add to what Navy Husker said.....
as he mentioned. appointments are available through the regular and reserve units in the fleet, USMC, etc.
Athletes for instance who are at the Naval Academy Prep School get their appointments through the Naval Reserve or USMC reserve. I should have fact checked this first, but I believe that to still be the case. My experience goes back about 50 years and may be dated........ holy cow.... 50 years????

Good point. I mentioned the enlisted side, but probably didn't emphasize that enough as another means of entering the academies. I don't recall their specific numbers outside of the NAPSters.
11-09-2015 11:59 AM
NavyHusker Offline
2nd String

(11-09-2015 11:57 AM)pirates4lyfe Wrote:  You don't lose an all time great QB and get better, but Navy has a great coaching staff and has consistently been good for over a decade now. Depending on coaching turnover in the west next year they will be one of the favorites in the division.

That is true, Keenan is something special & not just as a player. He is a genuinely great young man.

But the coaches have full faith in Tago Smith to be a really good QB too and has several starts under his belt & has performed well when KR was hurt.
11-09-2015 12:01 PM
pirates4lyfe Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Pirates
(11-09-2015 12:01 PM)NavyHusker Wrote:  
(11-09-2015 11:57 AM)pirates4lyfe Wrote:  You don't lose an all time great QB and get better, but Navy has a great coaching staff and has consistently been good for over a decade now. Depending on coaching turnover in the west next year they will be one of the favorites in the division.

That is true, Keenan is something special & not just as a player. He is a genuinely great young man.

But the coaches have full faith in Tago Smith to be a really good QB too and has several starts under his belt & has performed well when KR was hurt.

I'm sure they do have complete faith in him and I hope it works out. Right now ECU is going through the bad side of this when you lose a record breaking QB and things go wrong with the replacement.
11-09-2015 12:10 PM
TigerJJ Offline
All American

I Root For: Tiger Victories
I don't know if losing that many seniors will hurt them or not next year (I suspect it will), but I can tell you they are very, very good and vastly underrated this year. They are the best team we have played this year. I don't know if they play that well every game, but they played almost a perfect game against us Sat. night. I was very impressed with the strength and quickness of both their lines, and they have some speedburners in their backfield, even their 2 big fullbacks have decent speed.
Navy is legitimate.
11-09-2015 01:12 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.