Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

ECU Press badmouthing UCF for BE Invite
TexanMark Offline
Legend

I Root For: Syracuse
ECU Press badmouthing UCF for BE Invite
Kinda comical but he made several good points in ECU's favor while acknowledging UCF's strengths.

http://bonesville.net/Articles/DennyOBri...OBrien.htm
06-09-2006 10:20 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

3601 Offline
HoopDreams' Daddy

I Root For: Omar Sneed

This guy knows no more than we do. I like this paragraph..

"Those are facts that Holland can't dispute during the next round of conference realignment. But he can lean on Central Florida's lack of tradition and the high volume of empty seats that is characteristic of its home games."

The Big East has proven that lack of tradition and low attendance doesn't mean much when it comes to expanions. Potenial is much more important.
06-09-2006 10:44 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SF Husky Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UCONN

He does make sense. I think if ECU has a great FB program right now thats ranked in the top 25, most of us BE fans would look at it differently. I really think ECU has many of the same background as VT when they first joined the BE.
06-09-2006 10:56 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
TIGER-PAUL Offline
All American

I Root For: PITT

Thats the big if, what if memphis surges to the top 16? ucf to the top 20?
06-09-2006 11:40 AM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

SF Husky Wrote:He does make sense. I think if ECU has a great FB program right now thats ranked in the top 25, most of us BE fans would look at it differently. I really think ECU has many of the same background as VT when they first joined the BE.

But quoting a Cuse fan on the Scout board

"ECU is VT 15 years ago without the potential." 04-chairshot

I don't quite believe that but IMHO, UCF offers the most potential.
06-09-2006 11:40 AM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia

That's an excellent anaylsis of the situation. Of course, I've been saying pretty much the same thing when I talk about expansion. The Florida footprint is a big deal for the BEast.
06-09-2006 11:43 AM
Advertisement

PusherT Offline
1st String

as far as tradition and fanbase ECU is alot stronger then some current Big East members.
ECU has been to many great bowls too Liberty and Peach. ECU has beat teams like Miami, SU (when we were really good),WVU and NCState
06-09-2006 11:58 AM
StillJonesing Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ECU

If you look at ECU and VT before the Big East we were identical with stadium size attendance, season tickets, every thing, and ECU was probably a little ahead.

In the 10 years from 1991-2000... ECU was 70-45 overall 26-26 vs the Power conferences without a big time conference to help recruit with beating schools like Miami (twice) Syracuse (three times) West Virginia (twice),Pitt (Twice) NC State (3 times) Virginia Tech (Twice) S. Carolina (5 times) Stanford (in a Bowl) Texas Tech (in a bowl) to name a few, and we did it mostly on the road. We won major bowls like the Peach and a Liberty in a time when "mid majors" didn't even go to bowls. We defeated 7 top 25 schools in those 10 years, (including a couple of top 10 Miami teams) and we finished in or around the top 25 about half of those years including a #9 national finish and a #23 national finish as well as THREE other times receiving votes in the final polls in those 10 years. We beat more power conference teams than any non power conference team in the 90's.

Had the Big East take us as a football only instead of TEMPLE and we had the BCS like VT in that period we would have exploded as well, and the Big East wouldn't have a lot of the problems now.
06-09-2006 01:12 PM
StillJonesing Offline
Hall of Famer

bitcruncher Wrote:That's an excellent anaylsis of the situation. Of course, I've been saying pretty much the same thing when I talk about expansion. The Florida footprint is a big deal for the BEast.

And you already have it. Adding another only dilutes USF's potential to get the next talent behind the Big 3 in FL. That's what they were added for. Also do you want a school that is 5th page news in an adjacent market to a current team, or one that dominates their mediocre market in a different state?
06-09-2006 01:17 PM
ecuacc4ever Offline
Resident Geek Musician

I Root For: ACC
SkunkworksDonatorsPWNER of Scout/Rivals

StillJonesing Wrote:If you look at ECU and VT before the Big East we were identical with stadium size attendance, season tickets, every thing, and ECU was probably a little ahead.
Virginia Tech had a (potentially) bigger fanbase. 05-stirthepot
06-09-2006 01:22 PM
nflsucks Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

Quote:Had the Big East take us as a football only instead of TEMPLE and we had the BCS like VT in that period we would have exploded as well, and the Big East wouldn't have a lot of the problems now
Had we taken ECU instead of Temple, and had ECU blown up, what would have happened is the ACC would have been strong armed into taking not only VT, but also ECU, with Miami. So maybe we would have kept BC.

Or maybe a powerhouse ECU would have been enough to keep Miami happy in the league.

Or maybe ECU would not have become a power and would have been a middle of the pack team.

Too many variables and uncertainties to say with any confidence whether or not taking ECU would have saved us from the problems the Big East currently faces.
06-09-2006 01:36 PM
Advertisement

nflsucks Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

Quote:The Big East has proven that lack of tradition and low attendance doesn't mean much when it comes to expanions. Potenial is much more important.
The difference being that we expanded to take USF and Cincinnati out of a necessity to meet the NCAA minimum requirements to be a football conference. Any future expansions would be for different reasons (unless we get raided again, not likely).
06-09-2006 01:38 PM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

StillJonesing Wrote:
bitcruncher Wrote:That's an excellent anaylsis of the situation. Of course, I've been saying pretty much the same thing when I talk about expansion. The Florida footprint is a big deal for the BEast.

And you already have it. Adding another only dilutes USF's potential to get the next talent behind the Big 3 in FL. That's what they were added for. Also do you want a school that is 5th page news in an adjacent market to a current team, or one that dominates their mediocre market in a different state?
Both USF and UCF are in a talent rich area, and there is no reason why both can't create programs equal to any currently in the BEast. You could dilute the potential considerably before it hurt either one. The entire nation recruits Florida. So how is having UCF in the BEast going to hurt them any more?
06-09-2006 02:12 PM
StillJonesing Offline
Hall of Famer

bitcruncher Wrote:
StillJonesing Wrote:

Both USF and UCF are in a talent rich area, and there is no reason why both can't create programs equal to any currently in the BEast. You could dilute the potential considerably before it hurt either one. The entire nation recruits Florida. So how is having UCF in the BEast going to hurt them any more?

No but it hurts USF's potiental, and that was the very reason they were added. Potiental. Right now they have a decided advantage with the 2nd tier recruits that can't go to the big 3 over UCF with the BCS. Instead of having two teams half those recruits why not keep one that will have first dibs and possibly build a top 20 program with them.
06-09-2006 02:42 PM
tigersharktwo
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl

ITS OVER NO SPLIT.
NO CUSA LEFTOVERS.
06-09-2006 02:48 PM
Quote this message in a reply
USFMike Offline
1st String

I Root For:

3601 Wrote:The Big East has proven that lack of tradition and low attendance doesn't mean much when it comes to expanions. Potenial is much more important.

damn memphis fan let it go 03-hissyfit
06-09-2006 03:29 PM
Advertisement

L-yes Offline
Heisman

I Root For:

nflsucks Wrote:
Quote:Had the Big East take us as a football only instead of TEMPLE and we had the BCS like VT in that period we would have exploded as well, and the Big East wouldn't have a lot of the problems now
Had we taken ECU instead of Temple, and had ECU blown up, what would have happened is the ACC would have been strong armed into taking not only VT, but also ECU, with Miami. So maybe we would have kept BC.

Or maybe a powerhouse ECU would have been enough to keep Miami happy in the league.

Or maybe ECU would not have become a power and would have been a middle of the pack team.

Too many variables and uncertainties to say with any confidence whether or not taking ECU would have saved us from the problems the Big East currently faces.

I think the fair question is why hasnt ECU 'exploded' in CUSA? They have never won a conference title much less grown into a regional power. This notion of 'sleeping giant ECU' is tired. I've been listening to it for the better part of 10 years.

PS. if they came on as a full member they would single handedly knock the Big East from any claim it had to being the premire basketball conference.
06-09-2006 03:37 PM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

tigersharktwo Wrote:ITS OVER NO SPLIT.
NO CUSA LEFTOVERS.
Who made you the BEast commissioner?
06-09-2006 03:45 PM
StillJonesing Offline
Hall of Famer

L-yes Wrote:
nflsucks Wrote:

I think the fair question is why hasnt ECU 'exploded' in CUSA? They have never won a conference title much less grown into a regional power. This notion of 'sleeping giant ECU' is tired. I've been listening to it for the better part of 10 years.

PS. if they came on as a full member they would single handedly knock the Big East from any claim it had to being the premire basketball conference.

We won 2 Liberty Bowl Alliances in 1994 and 1995 which you as well as I know were the equivalent of CUSA. We also finished #2 in CUSA 3 times, and beat more BCS teams OOC than anyone else from the time CUSA started until you left.

As far as your PS. Didn't USF already do that? I guess you could play infront of litterly 1,500 against UCF and be happier.
06-09-2006 03:49 PM
tigersharktwo
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl

Bit ,its over, its done.Enough with cusa leftovers.Go to sun belt and bother them with your tired message.
06-09-2006 04:39 PM
Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.