Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

OK, at this point, let's call them out....
Bookmark and Share
mapdude Offline
Enthusiastically Ambivalant

I Root For: U of Memphis

DonatorsDonators
OK, at this point, let's call them out....
Since this season is going down the toilet fast, I think it's time to discuss in detail WHO the problem is on this team. Let's take off the gloves and call out the elephant in the room.

Having read Malco's comments in the paper today, he called it out. This team has some bad apples.

I think the #1 problem child on this team is the 2nd coming of Emoni Bates. Yes, Mr. David Jones. The posing after the made shot, the careless play (9 turnovers in the last game?!?!?!), the hot dogging never pass it off, never look to get an assist mentality. Yeah, he is a good player but he is not a TEAM player.

Discuss among you all....
01-29-2024 12:35 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Eagleonpar Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UOFM
RE: OK, at this point, let's call them out....
JQ doesn’t exactly play hard on defense. I think a better thread would be who we don’t call out. Malcolm was saying we need dogs yet he didn’t have a single defensive rebound
01-29-2024 12:47 PM
MemTigers1998 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
(01-29-2024 12:47 PM)Eagleonpar Wrote:  JQ doesn’t exactly play hard on defense. I think a better thread would be who we don’t call out. Malcolm was saying we need dogs yet he didn’t have a single defensive rebound

Exactly. He’s 6’9 250 and can’t rebound a lick. Him and Jordain had a total of 5 yesterday while the foreigner from UAB had 16
01-29-2024 12:53 PM
ajk55 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: tigers
Basically they all have issues of some type. Some may not have talent level necessary to be successful at this level. Others may not play with effort level needed. Others are pissed for lack of PT whether they deserve it or not. Plus coaching is very suspect.
01-29-2024 12:54 PM
ajk55 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: tigers
(01-29-2024 12:53 PM)MemTigers1998 Wrote:  
(01-29-2024 12:47 PM)Eagleonpar Wrote:  JQ doesn’t exactly play hard on defense. I think a better thread would be who we don’t call out. Malcolm was saying we need dogs yet he didn’t have a single defensive rebound

Exactly. He’s 6’9 250 and can’t rebound a lick. Him and Jordain had a total of 5 yesterday while the foreigner from UAB had 16

Rebounding is 100% effort. So is playing defense. If you are limited physically you find other ways to do one or both.
01-29-2024 12:57 PM
mapdude Offline
Enthusiastically Ambivalant

I Root For: U of Memphis

DonatorsDonators
(01-29-2024 12:54 PM)ajk55 Wrote:  Basically they all have issues of some type. Some may not have talent level necessary to be successful at this level. Others may not play with effort level needed. Others are pissed for lack of PT whether they deserve it or not. Plus coaching is very suspect.

I hear the uniforms are kinda scratchy too.... 03-yes
01-29-2024 01:00 PM
Advertisement

Steve davis Offline
1st String

(01-29-2024 01:00 PM)mapdude Wrote:  
(01-29-2024 12:54 PM)ajk55 Wrote:  Basically they all have issues of some type. Some may not have talent level necessary to be successful at this level. Others may not play with effort level needed. Others are pissed for lack of PT whether they deserve it or not. Plus coaching is very suspect.

I hear the uniforms are kinda scratchy too.... 03-yes
They need to go back to the original uniforms if that’s the case?
01-29-2024 01:02 PM
cscottl1981 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
Not saying this guy is the main issue, but NJ is one of the most wildly inconsistent players on the team. One game he looks like a force and the next he looks like he isn’t a D1 player.

Maybe Tomlin coming in messed with his head, I don’t know. He played with great energy at the beginning of the season, but he isn’t offering much on either end of the court now.
(This post was last modified: 01-29-2024 01:08 PM by cscottl1981.)
01-29-2024 01:02 PM
Steve davis Offline
1st String

(01-29-2024 12:35 PM)mapdude Wrote:  Since this season is going down the toilet fast, I think it's time to discuss in detail WHO the problem is on this team. Let's take off the gloves and call out the elephant in the room.

Having read Malco's comments in the paper today, he called it out. This team has some bad apples.

I think the #1 problem child on this team is the 2nd coming of Emoni Bates. Yes, Mr. David Jones. The posing after the made shot, the careless play (9 turnovers in the last game?!?!?!), the hot dogging never pass it off, never look to get an assist mentality. Yeah, he is a good player but he is not a TEAM player.

Look! I get the pose, but a lot of players do it after they score, there is no difference in that. As for as the turnovers, I don’t know what is going on, but they have to fix it now.
01-29-2024 01:09 PM
mempho_to_diego Offline
2 legit 2 quit

Everyone ... from coaches to the players.
01-29-2024 01:17 PM
cscottl1981 Offline
Heisman

(01-29-2024 01:09 PM)Steve davis Wrote:  
(01-29-2024 12:35 PM)mapdude Wrote:  Since this season is going down the toilet fast, I think it's time to discuss in detail WHO the problem is on this team. Let's take off the gloves and call out the elephant in the room.

Look! I get the pose, but a lot of players do it after they score, there is no difference in that. As for as the turnovers, I don’t know what is going on, but they have to fix it now.

DJ does so much for the team, but he has a 1:2 assist to TO ratio. That is tough. As a team we have to take better care of the ball, but our defending is atrocious.
01-29-2024 01:46 PM
Advertisement

SeñorTiger Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Tigers
(01-29-2024 01:17 PM)mempho_to_diego Wrote:  Everyone ... from coaches to the players.

100%. Giving up points like we are is not a one person problem. It is a collective 01-rivals the bed by everyone.

I will say though, specifically regarding Malco's comments, people like him tend to be the most dangerous in my opinion. Calling out teammates saying we do not have dogs while being his size and not having a single defensive rebound is the epitome of delusional... I believe that has been his major issue from day 1 when he stepped on campus stating he was a one and one or two years max player before the NBA.

For Jones, I do not quite get where people are going with him. He had 24 point on 56% shooting, 9 rebounds (led the team where nobody else had more than 3), 3 assists and 7 steals. He led the team in every category, what do you want from him? Did he miss a pass or two and turn the ball over too much. Yes, but there is literally not a single game you will watch where the best player on the team makes a mistake or two by forcing the action, that is what they are supposed to be doing.
01-29-2024 01:48 PM
cscottl1981 Offline
Heisman

You don’t know where people are going? Jones has to be on the floor the way he fills up the stat sheet.

However, 9 TOs is absurd. He has to take better care of the ball. The end.
01-29-2024 02:30 PM
ncrdbl1 Online
Legend

Airing dirty laundry in Public is never a good things.

It just causes more friction between players.

These things should be handled internally.
01-29-2024 02:41 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Alcalde2 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Mem
(01-29-2024 01:02 PM)cscottl1981 Wrote:  Not saying this guy is the main issue, but NJ is one of the most wildly inconsistent players on the team. One game he looks like a force and the next he looks like he isn’t a D1 player.

Maybe Tomlin coming in messed with his head, I don’t know. He played with great energy at the beginning of the season, but he isn’t offering much on either end of the court now.

Im going to blame Penny for that one. Tomlin gets a pass to me because he was the 3rd best player on a top 10 team last year. Tang didnt seem to have problems coaching him, and he had great chemistry with Nowell and that transfer from Florida that had the heart issue.

So I think maybe he got here and was like.. what the F*$#k is this disfunctional bull#$%t?? Even great proven coaches come here only to spend the whole time befuddled at what a clusterF Penny is creating, and they leave the next year. Penny isnt putting Tomlin in position to play within a team setting. I feel bad for the kid that he chose us
01-29-2024 02:59 PM
Marc Mensa Offline
You'll Get Nothing and Like It

I Root For: The Underdog
It starts with Jones. If he left tomorrow, we’d be a significantly better team within 2 weeks.
01-29-2024 03:15 PM
Advertisement

batman Online
1st String

I Root For:
Jones and Quinerly are both problems. No defense. And the lack of rebounding is a huge problem.
01-29-2024 03:25 PM
DDrum1961 Offline
1st String

I've never been a fan of the "Penny has to go' mindset .... That being said, the ESPN segments in which each coach was 'miked up' for a 4 minute run showed a HUGE difference in what I consider to be good X/O's coaching .... Kennedy was not only interacting with the announcers, but calling offensive sets, changing up defenses on the fly, etc .... Penny was barely coherent .... Jimmy Dykes said it best that Memphis looked like it was playing in a Peach Jam game ....
01-29-2024 03:29 PM
cscottl1981 Offline
Heisman

(01-29-2024 02:59 PM)Alcalde2 Wrote:  
(01-29-2024 01:02 PM)cscottl1981 Wrote:  Not saying this guy is the main issue, but NJ is one of the most wildly inconsistent players on the team. One game he looks like a force and the next he looks like he isn’t a D1 player.

Im going to blame Penny for that one. Tomlin gets a pass to me because he was the 3rd best player on a top 10 team last year. Tang didnt seem to have problems coaching him, and he had great chemistry with Nowell and that transfer from Florida that had the heart issue.

So I think maybe he got here and was like.. what the F*$#k is this disfunctional bull#$%t?? Even great proven coaches come here only to spend the whole time befuddled at what a clusterF Penny is creating, and they leave the next year. Penny isnt putting Tomlin in position to play within a team setting. I feel bad for the kid that he chose us

My comments were mainly about Jourdain. He was solid in OOC play, but I’m not sure what has happened to him as of late. He gets a pass for the Tulane game, but he’s been MIA more than that.
01-29-2024 03:43 PM
SeñorTiger Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Tigers
(01-29-2024 03:15 PM)Marc Mensa Wrote:  It starts with Jones. If he left tomorrow, we’d be a significantly better team within 2 weeks.

That is crazy talk. He led the team in every single category except blocks. We had 1 total blocked shot in the UAB game, Tomlin...

Jones is 5th in the country in scoring and has been in serious consideration as an All American. Take Jones off this team and we are still giving up an incredible amount of points and no longer have a player able to create his own shot and open the floor for others, very similar to offensive issues we have had in the past with Penny's teams.
01-29-2024 03:50 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.