Kent State Golden Flashes

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Kent State vs. Miami of Ohio
fallsdog Offline
All American

I Root For: Kent State
Kent State vs. Miami of Ohio
The Golden Flashes look to rebound against yet another team in the logjam that is the middle of the MAC standings. Tuesday's opponent, the Miami Redhawks, defeated Akron on Saturday in Oxford. While there is part of me that thinks "o boy, thats not good." There is another part that recognizes that Akron was going to lose sometime. Speaking of, looking forward to Friday's double header. Kent vs. Buffalo at 6:30 and Akron vs. Toledo at 9.

A win for Miami would give them a winning conference record while delivering KSU a tough blow in the...wait for it...race to get into the MAC Tournament. A win for the Flashes would keep them in stride with the rest of the several teams vying for a top 8 spot.

Go Flashes!
01-29-2024 07:46 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Polish Hammer Offline
King of all Dukes

I Root For: Kent State/James Madison
RE: Kent State vs. Miami of Ohio
Wow, ugly early, down 20-8.
01-30-2024 07:15 PM
Polish Hammer Offline
King of all Dukes

Payton got the ball in the paint and passed it out a couple times now, I’d like to see him take it strong up to the hoop instead. And Sullinger keeps forcing deep shots.
(This post was last modified: 01-30-2024 07:26 PM by Polish Hammer.)
01-30-2024 07:24 PM
Old Man Flash Offline
Bench Warmer

What a disaster! An entire 1st half played and Kent doesn’t make a single 2pt shot. I dint think I’ve ever seen that before (for any team). Ugh…
01-30-2024 07:52 PM
Muskrat Offline
1st String

(01-30-2024 07:52 PM)Old Man Flash Wrote:  What a disaster! An entire 1st half played and Kent doesn’t make a single 2pt shot. I dint think I’ve ever seen that before (for any team). Ugh…

Not since the shot clock.
01-30-2024 08:02 PM
Polish Hammer Offline
King of all Dukes

From 3 we’re an awful 6-21 but to be 2-14 from 2 is horrific.
01-30-2024 08:16 PM
Advertisement

Polish Hammer Offline
King of all Dukes

This is basketball, a little smack should be acceptable but ref wanted to T him up and then tossed a fan. Got it down to 5 now, and Bass tries to drive through 4 guys and loses the handle instead of passing or pulling it out. SMH.
01-30-2024 08:38 PM
Polish Hammer Offline
King of all Dukes

Going inside 2 minutes, only down 5. Let’s do this!
(This post was last modified: 01-30-2024 08:56 PM by Polish Hammer.)
01-30-2024 08:56 PM
Polish Hammer Offline
King of all Dukes

Rough night out of Payton, not surprised as I saw it in him early tonight.
01-30-2024 08:59 PM
fallsdog Offline
All American

Kent State swept by the Miami Redhawks. Oh dear.
01-30-2024 09:06 PM
anti-zip Offline
All American

I Root For: kent state!
Honestly, at this point I think our only hope is Michael Jordan hurries up and beats the Monstars so Chris Payton can get his game back. There's no other explanation for him going from a guy that looked like 1st team all conference to a guy that can't hold onto a ball or make a free throw.
01-30-2024 09:31 PM
Advertisement

anti-zip Offline
All American

(01-30-2024 08:38 PM)Polish Hammer Wrote:  This is basketball, a little smack should be acceptable but ref wanted to T him up and then tossed a fan.

This was a truly head scratching sequence of events. I didn't see what Rollins did. After the dunk it looked like he was just yelling a bit not in anyone's face. The ref that called it was under the basket and Rollins was well past mid court when he called it. So he didn't call it based on what he said because no way he could hear anything from there. It looked like another ref who was actually near Rollins tried to step in and reason with him which I think made him madder. Then he got mad and tried to get a fan tossed. I didn't hear or see what was said in the stands but it really didn't seem that raucous.

Side note, I think he talked to a custodian who I'm not sure actually went and got the fan... Which makes it even a funnier sequence of events. He was just one very angry little ref.
01-30-2024 09:38 PM
dannyb73 Offline
MAC CHAMPS

I Root For: Mem & Kent St
Play Bekelja in the first half and get rolled. Sit him in the second half and make a run. I am sorry, that kid doesn't do enough to be on the floor.
01-30-2024 09:42 PM
anti-zip Offline
All American

(01-30-2024 09:42 PM)dannyb73 Wrote:  Play Bekelja in the first half and get rolled. Sit him in the second half and make a run. I am sorry, that kid doesn't do enough to be on the floor.

A 30 second look at the play by play looks like he played roughly 13 minutes in the first half and we were. -8 with him out there. That means in the 7 minutes he was on the bench we were a -7. I think maybe you're over simplifing our bad first half. If you watched tonight's game and thought it was one guy's fault... I don't know what to say to you other than, nope.
01-30-2024 10:06 PM
dannyb73 Offline
MAC CHAMPS

(01-30-2024 10:06 PM)anti-zip Wrote:  
(01-30-2024 09:42 PM)dannyb73 Wrote:  Play Bekelja in the first half and get rolled. Sit him in the second half and make a run. I am sorry, that kid doesn't do enough to be on the floor.

A 30 second look at the play by play looks like he played roughly 13 minutes in the first half and we were. -8 with him out there. That means in the 7 minutes he was on the bench we were a -7. I think maybe you're over simplifing our bad first half. If you watched tonight's game and thought it was one guy's fault... I don't know what to say to you other than, nope.

I never said it was one guys fault. What I said was he doesn't do enough to warrant time. Give me Bass, Freeman, Rollins over him. And yes I know they don't all play the same position, but you can rotate guys. Freeman barely played. Sadly, the reality is, this team isn't going anywhere - and I don't think it's because of injuries. Either Rob has lost them or they just don't buy in. It's unfortunate it went this way because everyone thought this could be a special team.
01-30-2024 10:12 PM
anti-zip Offline
All American

(01-30-2024 10:12 PM)dannyb73 Wrote:  

I never said it was one guys fault. What I said was he doesn't do enough to warrant time. Give me Bass, Freeman, Rollins over him. And yes I know they don't all play the same position, but you can rotate guys. Freeman barely played. Sadly, the reality is, this team isn't going anywhere - and I don't think it's because of injuries. Either Rob has lost them or they just don't buy in. It's unfortunate it went this way because everyone thought this could be a special team.

We got out scored by 15 in the first half and out scored then by 11 in the second half. And you summed up the differences in the halves by Bekelja playing in the first half but not playing much in the second. Sorry I guess I mistook that for him being responsible for the loss. I guess I'll try to read between the lines harder next time...
01-30-2024 10:23 PM
Advertisement

anti-zip Offline
All American

Caught a back and forth in a timeout that I think speaks volumes to where we are right now. Bass attempted to inbound the ball and we had to call a timeout to avoid a 5 second call. At this point I get a text from a knowledgeable friend exasperated that we would let Bass inbound it. Sendy seemed to go after Sully when they got to the huddle, he said something and pointed at Bass. Sendy yelled at Sully "Tell him No. You tell him no. Tell him no.". At the top of his lungs.

We can infer what we want from this. I liked seeing Sendy demanding leadership from Sully. It worries me that Bass may be uncoachable if someone else is getting reamed for his mistakes. Bass is an interesting situation. Terrible body language. Seems to get mad every time he's pulled out. Seems to play outside of the offense when he's in there and doesn't play a single lick if defense. There's been times recently it feels like we try to switch to a zone just to hide Bass. If he's not in the portal at the end of the season he needs to seriously buy into our system or I don't see him being a successful player at Kent.
01-30-2024 10:40 PM
dannyb73 Offline
MAC CHAMPS

(01-30-2024 10:23 PM)anti-zip Wrote:  

We got out scored by 15 in the first half and out scored then by 11 in the second half. And you summed up the differences in the halves by Bekelja playing in the first half but not playing much in the second. Sorry I guess I mistook that for him being responsible for the loss. I guess I'll try to read between the lines harder next time...

You don't have to read between the lines, just don't assume something I didn't say. What I said was he doesn't do enough when out there to play. And that, sir, is what I meant.
01-30-2024 10:43 PM
dannyb73 Offline
MAC CHAMPS

(01-30-2024 10:43 PM)dannyb73 Wrote:  
(01-30-2024 10:23 PM)anti-zip Wrote:  

You don't have to read between the lines, just don't assume something I didn't say. What I said was he doesn't do enough when out there to play. And that, sir, is what I meant.

Also curious - where did you get the +/- numbers?
01-30-2024 10:47 PM
ksu315 Offline
1st String

I Root For:
At 7-2 in the league I’m pretty sure the central coaches have watched film, chuckled maybe even had a cocktail and thought thank god we’re not dealing with him any more
01-31-2024 07:29 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.