Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Play calling
Bookmark and Share
Ken Barna Offline
All American

I Root For: EMU
Play calling
Did anyone on board watch the first half of the Southern California vs. Washington game yesterday?
If you did, that was one hell of a show about what you could do with exciting and productive calls in a football game. I have been calling for those kind of plays from Creighton and his staff. Both teams pulled out all their best punches, and it was one of the most exciting games I have watched in a long time.
11-05-2023 10:34 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Jerry Weaver Offline
All American

RE: Play calling
(11-05-2023 10:34 AM)Ken Barna Wrote:  Did anyone on board watch the first half of the Southern California vs. Washington game yesterday?
If you did, that was one hell of a show about what you could do with exciting and productive calls in a football game. I have been calling for those kind of plays from Creighton and his staff. Both teams pulled out all their best punches, and it was one of the most exciting games I have watched in a long time.

Ken, I fully agree with you about USC-Washington game, it was enthralling. That said, Austin, Cam'Ron or Ike have nowhere near the QB skill sets of Williams or Penix. EMU simply does not have the resources to play that kind of game this season.

Nevertheless, your point about Coach's vanilla offense is well taken in past performance. Creighton plays "Tressel ball", he runs Shaq three times with the lead against Pitt, etc... He plays NOT to lose, thus EMU never "steals" a game and has a pile of one-possession losses as well as an 0-6 OT record.

Remember that absolutely silly INT Powell threw late in the bowl game last year? It was ill-advised for sure, but it delighted me. Why? For once, EMU was still attacking with the lead, instead of just sitting on it.
11-05-2023 05:51 PM
steve4840 Offline
1st String

(11-05-2023 05:51 PM)Jerry Weaver Wrote:  
(11-05-2023 10:34 AM)Ken Barna Wrote:  Did anyone on board watch the first half of the Southern California vs. Washington game yesterday?

Ken, I fully agree with you about USC-Washington game, it was enthralling. That said, Austin, Cam'Ron or Ike have nowhere near the QB skill sets of Williams or Penix. EMU simply does not have the resources to play that kind of game this season.

Nevertheless, your point about Coach's vanilla offense is well taken in past performance. Creighton plays "Tressel ball", he runs Shaq three times with the lead against Pitt, etc... He plays NOT to lose, thus EMU never "steals" a game and has a pile of one-possession losses as well as an 0-6 OT record.

Remember that absolutely silly INT Powell threw late in the bowl game last year? It was ill-advised for sure, but it delighted me. Why? For once, EMU was still attacking with the lead, instead of just sitting on it.

We have not had a series of play calling in any game this season that I've thought has been remotely clever.

Piatkowski and CC have failed in this aspect. They knew the limitations of Austin and the issues with the line.

-Almost non existent TE passing game
-Hamze is clearly a playmaker and they've had him for more than a year to try and figure out how to get him the rock
-Jaylon is a stud and should be involved a TON more.

Offensively this is the worst unit and coaching I've seen since I started rooting for the team.

I really just root for the defense and hope the offense can get 1 to 2 scores a game.

Sad season.
11-05-2023 09:01 PM
Advertisement

emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: emu
(11-05-2023 09:01 PM)steve4840 Wrote:  

We have not had a series of play calling in any game this season that I've thought has been remotely clever.

Piatkowski and CC have failed in this aspect. They knew the limitations of Austin and the issues with the line.

-Hamze is clearly a playmaker and they've had him for more than a year to try and figure out how to get him the rock

Offensively this is the worst unit and coaching I've seen since I started rooting for the team.

I really just root for the defense and hope the offense can get 1 to 2 scores a game.

Sad season.

One thing have Jaylon and Samson rush to the edge vs between the tackles. They both are capable of gaining yards on their own once they turn the corner on the outside.
11-06-2023 05:28 AM
Jerry Weaver Offline
All American

(11-06-2023 05:28 AM)emu79 Wrote:  
(11-05-2023 09:01 PM)steve4840 Wrote:  

Sad season.

One thing have Jaylon and Samson rush to the edge vs between the tackles. They both are capable of gaining yards on their own once they turn the corner on the outside.

Bullseye "79! Why not the option or pitch sweeps? I kind of hold my breath every time we send tiny ole Jaylon into the tackle box as I expect him to be carried off the field at any time.
11-06-2023 07:16 PM
Advertisement

KPJ Offline
1st String

To think we had Kalen DeBoer in the building….
11-06-2023 07:27 PM
Jerry Weaver Offline
All American

(11-06-2023 07:27 PM)KPJ Wrote:  To think we had Kalen DeBoer in the building….

Good point Keith, and that really stings!
11-06-2023 07:39 PM
Advertisement

TheWoodenNickle Offline
Heisman

Play calling
Speaking of play-calling, Sean Lewis (former Kent coach) may be out as Colorado's OC. Be nice to have him on our staff.
11-06-2023 07:49 PM
Jerry Weaver Offline
All American

(11-06-2023 07:49 PM)TheWoodenNickle Wrote:  Speaking of play-calling, Sean Lewis (former Kent coach) may be out as Colorado's OC. Be nice to have him on our staff.

Sean is going to be just fine! However, you make a great point. It would be nice to have him here.
11-06-2023 08:18 PM
Ken Barna Offline
All American

Dear KPJ,
We will get to see DeBoer next year, and if he calls the plays like he did against Southern California, we will be slaughtered.
11-07-2023 10:36 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.