CSNbbs
Play calling - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: MACbbs (/forum-513.html)
+---- Forum: MAC - West Team Talk (/forum-464.html)
+----- Forum: Eastern Michigan (/forum-478.html)
+----- Thread: Play calling (/thread-980484.html)

Play calling - Ken Barna - 11-05-2023 10:34 AM

Did anyone on board watch the first half of the Southern California vs. Washington game yesterday?
If you did, that was one hell of a show about what you could do with exciting and productive calls in a football game. I have been calling for those kind of plays from Creighton and his staff. Both teams pulled out all their best punches, and it was one of the most exciting games I have watched in a long time.

RE: Play calling - Jerry Weaver - 11-05-2023 05:51 PM

(11-05-2023 10:34 AM)Ken Barna Wrote:  Did anyone on board watch the first half of the Southern California vs. Washington game yesterday?
If you did, that was one hell of a show about what you could do with exciting and productive calls in a football game. I have been calling for those kind of plays from Creighton and his staff. Both teams pulled out all their best punches, and it was one of the most exciting games I have watched in a long time.

Ken, I fully agree with you about USC-Washington game, it was enthralling. That said, Austin, Cam'Ron or Ike have nowhere near the QB skill sets of Williams or Penix. EMU simply does not have the resources to play that kind of game this season.

Nevertheless, your point about Coach's vanilla offense is well taken in past performance. Creighton plays "Tressel ball", he runs Shaq three times with the lead against Pitt, etc... He plays NOT to lose, thus EMU never "steals" a game and has a pile of one-possession losses as well as an 0-6 OT record.

Remember that absolutely silly INT Powell threw late in the bowl game last year? It was ill-advised for sure, but it delighted me. Why? For once, EMU was still attacking with the lead, instead of just sitting on it.

RE: Play calling - steve4840 - 11-05-2023 09:01 PM

(11-05-2023 05:51 PM)Jerry Weaver Wrote:  
(11-05-2023 10:34 AM)Ken Barna Wrote:  Did anyone on board watch the first half of the Southern California vs. Washington game yesterday?

Ken, I fully agree with you about USC-Washington game, it was enthralling. That said, Austin, Cam'Ron or Ike have nowhere near the QB skill sets of Williams or Penix. EMU simply does not have the resources to play that kind of game this season.

Nevertheless, your point about Coach's vanilla offense is well taken in past performance. Creighton plays "Tressel ball", he runs Shaq three times with the lead against Pitt, etc... He plays NOT to lose, thus EMU never "steals" a game and has a pile of one-possession losses as well as an 0-6 OT record.

Remember that absolutely silly INT Powell threw late in the bowl game last year? It was ill-advised for sure, but it delighted me. Why? For once, EMU was still attacking with the lead, instead of just sitting on it.

We have not had a series of play calling in any game this season that I've thought has been remotely clever.

Piatkowski and CC have failed in this aspect. They knew the limitations of Austin and the issues with the line.

-Almost non existent TE passing game
-Hamze is clearly a playmaker and they've had him for more than a year to try and figure out how to get him the rock
-Jaylon is a stud and should be involved a TON more.

Offensively this is the worst unit and coaching I've seen since I started rooting for the team.

I really just root for the defense and hope the offense can get 1 to 2 scores a game.

Sad season.

RE: Play calling - emu79 - 11-06-2023 05:28 AM

(11-05-2023 09:01 PM)steve4840 Wrote:  

We have not had a series of play calling in any game this season that I've thought has been remotely clever.

Piatkowski and CC have failed in this aspect. They knew the limitations of Austin and the issues with the line.

-Hamze is clearly a playmaker and they've had him for more than a year to try and figure out how to get him the rock

Offensively this is the worst unit and coaching I've seen since I started rooting for the team.

I really just root for the defense and hope the offense can get 1 to 2 scores a game.

Sad season.

One thing have Jaylon and Samson rush to the edge vs between the tackles. They both are capable of gaining yards on their own once they turn the corner on the outside.

RE: Play calling - Jerry Weaver - 11-06-2023 07:16 PM

(11-06-2023 05:28 AM)emu79 Wrote:  
(11-05-2023 09:01 PM)steve4840 Wrote:  

Sad season.

One thing have Jaylon and Samson rush to the edge vs between the tackles. They both are capable of gaining yards on their own once they turn the corner on the outside.

Bullseye "79! Why not the option or pitch sweeps? I kind of hold my breath every time we send tiny ole Jaylon into the tackle box as I expect him to be carried off the field at any time.

RE: Play calling - KPJ - 11-06-2023 07:27 PM

To think we had Kalen DeBoer in the building….

RE: Play calling - Jerry Weaver - 11-06-2023 07:39 PM

(11-06-2023 07:27 PM)KPJ Wrote:  To think we had Kalen DeBoer in the building….

Good point Keith, and that really stings!

Play calling - TheWoodenNickle - 11-06-2023 07:49 PM

Speaking of play-calling, Sean Lewis (former Kent coach) may be out as Colorado's OC. Be nice to have him on our staff.

RE: Play calling - Jerry Weaver - 11-06-2023 08:18 PM

(11-06-2023 07:49 PM)TheWoodenNickle Wrote:  Speaking of play-calling, Sean Lewis (former Kent coach) may be out as Colorado's OC. Be nice to have him on our staff.

Sean is going to be just fine! However, you make a great point. It would be nice to have him here.

RE: Play calling - Ken Barna - 11-07-2023 10:36 AM

Dear KPJ,
We will get to see DeBoer next year, and if he calls the plays like he did against Southern California, we will be slaughtered.