Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Hitmen Hoops Media (Sources): The AAC is 'engaged in serious talks' with VCU
BeatWestern! Offline
All American

I Root For: Central Michigan
Hitmen Hoops Media (Sources): The AAC is 'engaged in serious talks' with VCU
Hitmen Hoops Media via X posted this afternoon per sources: The American Athletic Conference is “engaged in serious talks” with VCU to join as a basketball-only member, multiple sources tell me and @BluffCity_Media.

These discussions have been ongoing for a few weeks, but talks are ramping up in the wake of Army’s addition to the AAC.
(This post was last modified: 10-25-2023 11:59 AM by BeatWestern!.)
10-25-2023 11:58 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Garden_KC Offline
1st String

I Root For: Landscaping
RE: Hitmen Hoops Media (Sources): The AAC is 'engaged in serious talks' with VCU
Color me wrong on this. Maybe VCU has concerns about an FBS split and wants to be tied to an FBS league.

Definitely will make AAC basketball more attractive.

Also would make it unlikely both JMU/ODU move to the AAC with VCU already there down the road.

14/14 would allow the AAC to handle a few FB defections and keep ticking too. Go down to 11/11 without adding anyone if they want to.
10-25-2023 12:03 PM
PeteTheChop Offline
Here rests the ACC: 1953-2026

I Root For: C-A-N-E-S
RE: Hitmen Hoops Media (Sources): The AAC is 'engaged in serious talks' with VCU
Wow!

Gotta think SLU and Dayton are offering Val Ackerman a BOGO deal or a similar discount in exchange for Big East invites.

Sadly, it seems like there would be little to no hope of the A-10 keeping it's unofficial (if declining) "mid-major plus" designation minus those three programs:

Davidson
Duquesne
Fordham
George Mason
GW
La Salle
Loyola (IL)
UMass (gone to the MAC with UDel?)
URI
Richmond
St. Bonaventure
St. Joe's
(This post was last modified: 10-25-2023 12:16 PM by PeteTheChop.)
10-25-2023 12:15 PM
Garden_KC Offline
1st String

A10 wouldn't need to backfill with anyone since they'd be at 14.

If UMass goes then at 13 they can bring in College of Charleston.

Could put pressure on UMass to consider an all sport MAC offer with VCU out of there.
10-25-2023 12:17 PM
surrealpirate Offline
2nd String

I Root For: ECU
While I would love to see this, I just don't see enough upside for VCU at the moment.

I still believe they will hold out until they know for sure they are never getting into the Big East. With the recent news that the BE isn't expanding for now, and the reasoning being there weren't any perfect fits, "geography-wise" in particular, maybe that changes the calculus.

All that said, if I'm Aresco I'm making them say no regardless. They would be a slam dunk combo with Army.
10-25-2023 12:17 PM
Transic_nyc Offline
1st String

I Root For: Return To Stability
How long before we start hearing UMass and UDel connected to the AAC? That move would certainly cut off the MAC from the Atlantic coast, if that's even a goal of the AAC.

East

Massachusetts
Delaware
Temple
Charlotte
East Carolina
Army
Florida Atlantic
South Florida

West

Rice
Tulsa
North Texas
Texas-San Antonio
Tulane
Navy
Memphis
UAB
10-25-2023 12:18 PM
Advertisement

Garden_KC Offline
1st String

(10-25-2023 12:15 PM)PeteTheChop Wrote:  Wow!

Gotta think SLU and Dayton are offering Val Ackerman a BOGO deal or a similar discount in exchange for Big East invites.

Sadly, it seems like there would be little to no hope of the A-10 keeping it's unofficial (if declining) "mid-major plus" designation minus those three programs:

Davidson
Duquesne
Fordham
George Mason
GW
La Salle
Loyola (IL)
URI
Richmond
St. Bonaventure
St. Joe's

The Big East might be looking at getting BC, Syracuse, Pittsburgh back from the ACC in the even they implode.

Loyola would probably see if they could return to the MVC. No sense in being there without SLU/Dayton.
10-25-2023 12:22 PM
Garden_KC Offline
1st String

(10-25-2023 12:18 PM)Transic_nyc Wrote:  How long before we start hearing UMass and UDel connected to the AAC? That move would certainly cut off the MAC from the Atlantic coast, if that's even a goal of the AAC.

East

Massachusetts
Delaware
Temple
Charlotte
East Carolina
Army
Florida Atlantic
South Florida

West

Rice
Tulsa
North Texas
Texas-San Antonio
Tulane
Navy
Memphis
UAB

I have to say I like the idea.

But at the moment I don't think UMass/UDel bring enough to the AAC TV deal to warrant inclusion.
10-25-2023 12:27 PM
Garden_KC Offline
1st String

Can the MAC finally pick apart this A10 carcass?

UMass
URI
Fordham
Delaware

Pick off the three NE members of the A10 with UMass.

05-stirthepot
10-25-2023 12:39 PM
Transic_nyc Offline
1st String

I Root For: Return To Stability
(10-25-2023 12:27 PM)Garden_KC Wrote:  
(10-25-2023 12:18 PM)Transic_nyc Wrote:  How long before we start hearing UMass and UDel connected to the AAC? That move would certainly cut off the MAC from the Atlantic coast, if that's even a goal of the AAC.

East

Massachusetts
Delaware
Temple
Charlotte
East Carolina
Army
Florida Atlantic
South Florida

West

Rice
Tulsa
North Texas
Texas-San Antonio
Tulane
Navy
Memphis
UAB

But at the moment I don't think UMass/UDel bring enough to the AAC TV deal to warrant inclusion.

Cutting down on travel will be a greater consideration at the G level going forward, especially as any remaining value would be under threat from the lowest P conference, but maybe three or four programs at most.

Plus, as public institutions, those two have greater upside and in an underserved area of the country.
10-25-2023 12:46 PM
tf8693 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Notre Dame
(10-25-2023 12:22 PM)Garden_KC Wrote:  

Davidson
Duquesne
Fordham
George Mason
GW
La Salle
Loyola (IL)
URI
Richmond
St. Bonaventure
St. Joe's

The Big East might be looking at getting BC, Syracuse, Pittsburgh back from the ACC in the even they implode.

The ACC doesn't implode unless the Big XII gets into the act. If that happens, Pitt is probably a slam dunk for the Big XII. Syracuse is better than even money.

If the Big East can pull programs out of the ACC, best bets are BC, Wake, and, if they want to remain independent for football, possibly Notre Dame. Duke and Syracuse also are possibilities, albeit less likely

Quote:Loyola would probably see if they could return to the MVC. No sense in being there without SLU/Dayton.

Saint Louis was perhaps even more isolated in the decade or so between Butler's departure and Loyola's arrival. That they never left for the MVC is telling.
10-25-2023 12:53 PM
Advertisement

Frank Grimes Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UAB,Springfield Isotopes
I’d love to add VCU, but I’m gonna wait to see it from a more reputable source before I get too excited.
10-25-2023 12:54 PM
e-parade Offline
All American

I Root For: UMass
10-25-2023 12:57 PM
Wahoowa84 Offline
All American

I Root For: UVa
(10-25-2023 12:46 PM)Transic_nyc Wrote:  
(10-25-2023 12:27 PM)Garden_KC Wrote:  

East

Massachusetts
Delaware
Temple
Charlotte
East Carolina
Army
Florida Atlantic
South Florida

West

Rice
Tulsa
North Texas
Texas-San Antonio
Tulane
Navy
Memphis
UAB

Cutting down on travel will be a greater consideration at the G level going forward, especially as any remaining value would be under threat from the lowest P conference, but maybe three or four programs at most.

Plus, as public institutions, those two have greater upside and in an underserved area of the country.

UMass and UDel would create geographic cohesion to the AAC...similar to how the Sun Belt has a nice split.

Temple is probably pushing this approach.
10-25-2023 12:58 PM
Lord2FLI Away
Peanut Vendor

I Root For: The End
(10-25-2023 12:57 PM)e-parade Wrote:  

The first sign in conference realignment that something is true is when one or both parties deny it.
10-25-2023 01:04 PM
Garden_KC Offline
1st String

(10-25-2023 12:53 PM)tf8693 Wrote:  
(10-25-2023 12:22 PM)Garden_KC Wrote:  

Davidson
Duquesne
Fordham
George Mason
GW
La Salle
Loyola (IL)
URI
Richmond
St. Bonaventure
St. Joe's

The ACC doesn't implode unless the Big XII gets into the act. If that happens, Pitt is probably a slam dunk for the Big XII. Syracuse is better than even money.

If the Big East can pull programs out of the ACC, best bets are BC, Wake, and, if they want to remain independent for football, possibly Notre Dame. Duke and Syracuse also are possibilities, albeit less likely

Quote:Loyola would probably see if they could return to the MVC. No sense in being there without SLU/Dayton.

Saint Louis was perhaps even more isolated in the decade or so between Butler's departure and Loyola's arrival. That they never left for the MVC is telling.

SLU is not Loyola so I don't see SLUs pattern in the A10 something Loyola would necessarily follow.
10-25-2023 01:04 PM
Advertisement

b0ndsj0ns Offline
Legend

I Root For: ECU
This one I'll buy once I see a source I've heard of.
10-25-2023 01:08 PM
e-parade Offline
All American

I Root For: UMass
(10-25-2023 01:04 PM)Lord2FLI Wrote:  
(10-25-2023 12:57 PM)e-parade Wrote:  

The first sign in conference realignment that something is true is when one or both parties deny it.

Because Army denied it?
10-25-2023 01:08 PM
whittx Offline
All American

I Root For: FSU, Bport,Corn
(10-25-2023 12:17 PM)Garden_KC Wrote:  A10 wouldn't need to backfill with anyone since they'd be at 14.

If UMass goes then at 13 they can bring in College of Charleston.

Could put pressure on UMass to consider an all sport MAC offer with VCU out of there.

And the CAA can bring in Albany as an all sports member.
10-25-2023 01:09 PM
Native Georgian Offline
Legend

I Root For: TULANE+GA.STATE
Hitmen Hoops?
10-25-2023 01:30 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.