Georgia State
Georgia Southern
Coastal Carolina
Appalachian State
ODU
JMU
Marshall
[Show Results]

Who do you think will be the best Men's Basketball team in SBC this year?
Bookmark and Share
Eagleyed Offline
1st String

I Root For: USM
MyBB Who do you think will be the best Men's Basketball team in SBC this year?
Men's Basketball.

Overall team not just who will have the best conference record. I'm curious to hear opinions.
(This post was last modified: 10-24-2023 02:33 PM by CardinalBlackTrojan.)
10-24-2023 01:41 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

DaSaintFan Offline
Dum' Sutherner in Midwest!

I Root For: Southern Miss
RE: Who do you think will be the best Men's Basketball team in SBC this year?
I know our guys are still hyped.. especially wtih Alvarez now getting to play a full season. I truly truly truly hope they're groom Cardona to take over for Ladner after this season....

And we got the 'charity' game against MSU this weekend.. really wish i could come down for that one.
10-24-2023 04:12 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Eagleyed Offline
1st String

(10-24-2023 04:12 PM)DaSaintFan Wrote:  I know our guys are still hyped.. especially wtih Alvarez now getting to play a full season. I truly truly truly hope they're groom Cardona to take over for Ladner after this season....

And we got the 'charity' game against MSU this weekend.. really wish i could come down for that one.

hmm? Alvarez is out with a season ending injury.
10-24-2023 04:14 PM
DaSaintFan Offline
Dum' Sutherner in Midwest!

(10-24-2023 04:14 PM)Eagleyed Wrote:  
(10-24-2023 04:12 PM)DaSaintFan Wrote:  I know our guys are still hyped.. especially wtih Alvarez now getting to play a full season. I truly truly truly hope they're groom Cardona to take over for Ladner after this season....

Again? When did this one happen? I mean we sat him over half-the-season due to the foot injury...

(damn , just see it went up today on X about 4 hours ago!!)
(This post was last modified: 10-24-2023 04:24 PM by DaSaintFan.)
10-24-2023 04:23 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Eagleyed Offline
1st String

(10-24-2023 04:23 PM)DaSaintFan Wrote:  
(10-24-2023 04:14 PM)Eagleyed Wrote:  

Again? When did this one happen? I mean we sat him over half-the-season due to the foot injury...

This morning it was announced he had a season ending injury. He has gotten a lot of bad luck with injuries. But, it does mean we will have him next year. So some silver lining.
10-24-2023 04:25 PM
herdfan2013 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Marshall
USM would’ve been my pick before the Alvarez news. Now I’d guess JMU. Really have no idea though.
10-24-2023 05:01 PM
Advertisement

KickItToScotty Offline
Heisman

I Root For: JMU
I went with the homer vote, I'm optimistic about our guys this year. Terrence Edwards started to really break out towards the end of last season and in the tournament, I'm expecting a player of the year type of season from him. I'm really looking forward to seeing how much XB has improved from freshman to sophomore, I think he's gonna be a star by the time he's done here. Some transfers should have a great impact like TJ Bickerstaff and Quincy Allen, although it's really disappointing that we've lost Amadi for the year. I don't think we'll be quite as deep as last year, but I do think the guys we have playing will be more talented than last year. That might not be the worst thing anyway, it didn't seem like we ever really used our wealth of depth the way a lot of us wanted so as long as we can stay fairly healthy I don't see that being an issue.
10-24-2023 05:10 PM
rokamortis Offline
All American

I Root For: Coastal
I can tell you who won’t be the best MBB team…
10-24-2023 05:38 PM
Eagleyed Offline
1st String

(10-24-2023 05:38 PM)rokamortis Wrote:  I can tell you who won’t be the best MBB team…

ULM?
10-24-2023 06:20 PM
GSUALUM17 Offline
All American

I Root For: GSU
It would help me to make an educated guess if there's a rundown of incoming/outgoing roster and staff over the last offseason for every team.

For example, after the 2021 NCAA run, Georgia State lost every starter to graduation and the head coach left to SMU for a $10mil contract. That gave some idea that Panthers' 2022 season would be a complete rebuild. This season in 2023, going above .500 could be a reasonable goal with the addition of perimeter shooters from the portal to complement a true PG in Dwon Odom who has the ability to create assists after penetration.
10-24-2023 07:04 PM
mturn017 Offline
ODU Homer

I Root For: Old Dominion
(10-24-2023 07:04 PM)GSUALUM17 Wrote:  It would help me to make an educated guess if there's a rundown of incoming/outgoing roster and staff over the last offseason for every team.

For example, after the 2021 NCAA run, Georgia State lost every starter to graduation and the head coach left to SMU for a $10mil contract. That gave some idea that Panthers' 2022 season would be a complete rebuild. This season in 2023, going above .500 could be a reasonable goal with the addition of perimeter shooters from the portal to complement a true PG in Dwon Odom who has the ability to create assists after penetration.

I have a hard enough time keeping up with my own teams roster from year to year anymore
10-24-2023 07:09 PM
Advertisement

GSUALUM17 Offline
All American

I Root For: GSU
(10-24-2023 07:09 PM)mturn017 Wrote:  
(10-24-2023 07:04 PM)GSUALUM17 Wrote:  It would help me to make an educated guess if there's a rundown of incoming/outgoing roster and staff over the last offseason for every team.

I have a hard enough time keeping up with my own teams roster from year to year anymore

same tbh. I'll trust whatever information from other SBC fans about their teams' offseason movements
10-24-2023 07:14 PM
Hart Foundation Offline
Heisman

I Root For: James Madison
Seems like a complete crapshoot with no team able to stake a claim that they are stacked. One bid league again and that doesn’t mean it will be the #1 seed from the regular season.
A few days in Pensacola is all that matters.
10-24-2023 07:48 PM
Noodles Offline
All American

I picked JMU, mostly because Alvarez is out, and Curbelo has not gotten NCAA approval. But USM is going to be salty.

Fun season coming.
10-25-2023 12:08 AM
herdfan2013 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Marshall
Apparently Alvarez is only out 10 weeks
10-25-2023 05:53 AM
Blue_Trombone Online
Heisman

I Root For: Old Dominion
ODU looks like we'll be going small ball this year, not sure how that's gonna pan out. We have a ton of talent at the guard position but the staff has never really excelled without a presence down low, and that position group is what I'm most concerned with. Dani Pounds is supposed to be very athletic but he's a true freshman and Dericko our projected starting center while he has a lot of hustle has a very limited offense game and at 6'7" will make us very very small over all position groups minus scoring guard.

I dunno I wanna be optimistic and we have a FANTASTIC recruiting class for next year, but I just don't think Jones will make this team into a contender this year. Ceiling is probably upper-middle pack
(This post was last modified: 10-25-2023 07:19 AM by Blue_Trombone.)
10-25-2023 06:10 AM
Advertisement

BirdofParadise Offline
1st String

I Root For:
With the departure of Terrance Lewis and Jordan Brown, the Cajuns will be playing differently this year.

The X factor is Kobe Julien. He's a sixth year junior who is finally healthy for the first time since making all conference a couple of years ago. If he stays healthy, the Cajuns contend.

But they won't be doing it with that power inside game.
10-25-2023 10:24 AM
TTT Offline
#SMTTT

I Root For: USM & G5
Alvarez should be back mid-January.

Also, we did just fine with Mo Arnold playing in his absence last year. Ladner re-loaded from the Portal again this year. We should compete for the regular season championship again. I really like our roster again:

Austin Crowley 6'4 (Ole Miss)
Victor Iwuakor 6'8 (Oklahoma/UNLV)
Mo Arnold 6'1 (Jacksonville)
Victor Hart 6'7 (FIU)
Donovan Ivory 6'7 (Boise State/GB-Wisconsin)
Cobie Montgomery 6'4 (Triton College)
Andre Curbelo 6'1 (Illinois/St. Johns)
Tegra Izay 7'0 (LaSalle/Harcum)
Neftali Alvarez 6'0 (Mercer)

We're still waiting on a waiver for Curbelo. Hopeful he gets it.
10-25-2023 11:02 AM
Luckyshot Online
Heisman

(10-24-2023 05:01 PM)herdfan2013 Wrote:  USM would’ve been my pick before the Alvarez news. Now I’d guess JMU. Really have no idea though.
If the transfer (Curbelo) gets approved we'll compete for the top. We'll be good regardless. It was a nice reload and for the second straight year a bunch of new teammates are playing as a cohesive unit from the beginning. USA came on strong late when their transfers jelled, do many players return from that team?
10-25-2023 12:19 PM
Luckyshot Online
Heisman

(10-25-2023 11:02 AM)TTT Wrote:  Alvarez should be back mid-January.

Also, we did just fine with Mo Arnold playing in his absence last year. Ladner re-loaded from the Portal again this year. We should compete for the regular season championship again. I really like our roster again:

Austin Crowley 6'4 (Ole Miss)
Victor Iwuakor 6'8 (Oklahoma/UNLV)
Mo Arnold 6'1 (Jacksonville)
Victor Hart 6'7 (FIU)
Donovan Ivory 6'7 (Boise State/GB-Wisconsin)
Cobie Montgomery 6'4 (Triton College)
Andre Curbelo 6'1 (Illinois/St. Johns)
Tegra Izay 7'0 (LaSalle/Harcum)
Neftali Alvarez 6'0 (Mercer)

We're still waiting on a waiver for Curbelo. Hopeful he gets it.

He has to be out for 10 weeks. He wants a full season to prove himself. Coaches have to convince him to come back this season is how I read it. By January they'll know if they want to or if they'd rather have him for 24-25.
10-25-2023 12:26 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.