Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Honest Kennesaw Sate Question
Bookmark and Share
bigbelly Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: WKU
Honest Kennesaw Sate Question
So, Kennesaw State just lost to a mediocre Tennessee State dropping their record to 1-5. Breaking it down that's 0-5 against FCS teams and one win against a Division 2 school. How bad is this KSU team and did we make a big mistake in inviting them?

Yeah, yeah, I know...the Owls are supposedly redshirting their best players so they can play "an FBS season." But if some of those players were good enough to play at an FBS level, nothing would have prevented many of them from transferring, right? And how good are those guys anyway? Kennesaw State was only 5-6 last year against a full FCS slate. I would like to hear the justification for thinking that the best players who led them to a 5-6 season in 2022 are in any way going to be capable of leading a competitive team in FBS?

I understand the sentimental thinking that it's nice to reward players who have been in your program with an extra year's scholarship and opportunity to play FBS football. But in my opinion, KSU--and any team transitioning from FCS to FBS--should be doing everything possible to overhaul their roster and bring in FBS-level players through the portal, not wasting precious scholarships on FCS players that couldn't even yield a winning record.

BTW, WKU made the same mistake at the beginning of our transition and it led to a 4-32 record in our first three FBS seasons. Discuss...
(This post was last modified: 10-07-2023 11:55 PM by bigbelly.)
10-07-2023 11:24 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

JSU02 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Jacksonville State
RE: Honest Kennesaw Sate Question
You're saying it didn't work well for Western, it doesn't appear to have worked for Sam, and I suspect it won't work for Kennesaw. Has this method ever worked for anyone?
10-07-2023 11:41 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
GoodOwl Offline
The 1 Hoo Knocks

I Root For: New Horizons
I'd recommend you just look at how basketball has gone for the owls...they rose to dominate the last level, sucked for a while when they moved up, then made the NCAAs last season....sure, football will likely take a hit moving up, but will be fine. Go Owls!
10-07-2023 11:52 PM
Hootyhoo Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Kennesaw State
(10-07-2023 11:24 PM)bigbelly Wrote:  So, Kennesaw State just lost to a mediocre Tennessee State dropping their record to 1-5. Breaking it down that's 0-5 against FCS teams and one win against a Division 2 school. How bad is this KSU team and did we make a big mistake in inviting them?

Yeah, yeah, I know...the Owls are supposedly redshirting their best players so they can play "an FBS season." But if some of those players were good enough to play at an FBS level, nothing would have prevented many of them from transferring, right? And how good are those guys anyway? Kennesaw State was only 5-6 last year against a full FCS slate. I would like to hear the justification for thinking that the best players who led them to a 5-6 season in 2022 are in any way going to be capable of leading a competitive team in FBS?

I understand the sentimental thinking that it's nice to reward players who have been in your program with an extra year's scholarship and opportunity to play FBS football. But in my opinion, KSU--and any team transitioning from FCS to FBS--should be doing everything possible to overhaul their roster and bring in FBS-level players through the portal, not wasting precious scholarships on FCS players that couldn't even yield a winning record.

BTW, WKU made the same mistake at the beginning of our transition and it led to a 4-32 record in our first three FBS seasons. Discuss...

I mean, I'm not gonna say it was a mistake inviting us. But I thought we needed more time in fcs before moving. Can't say no when the invite comes though and I like that we accepted. The cut block rule change set is back years. It essentially outlawed offense and made a lot of players close to useless.

But I still expected 7-2 this year. Even knowing we were set back and trying to redshirt. This season has been bad. Really bad. I don't think we're going to be competitive in the first 2-3 years in fbs based on the last two years. I hope to be proven wrong. I'm worried what it could look like long term if we spend the first few years as one of the bottom 10ish fbs teams.
10-08-2023 12:22 AM
AssKickingChicken Offline
1st String

I Root For: Jax State
They have two weeks off to prepare for a game they should win by 100 points. Then they host Sam Houston before facing someone else they should beat by 100 points.
10-08-2023 06:19 AM
Gemofthehills Offline
All American

I Root For: JSU
KSU will have plenty of recruits in their backyard so recovery or build up can happen quick. Coach Bo may have to go if he is unable to change the O.

ATL market is huge for any southern conference and gives CUSA two real big markets even though the teams get little traction in their markets. Still believe KSU is a more desirable school to attend in the ATL market than GSU. Downtown southern schools are a hard sale.
10-08-2023 08:51 AM
Advertisement

Ewglenn Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MTSU
(10-07-2023 11:41 PM)JSU02 Wrote:  You're saying it didn't work well for Western, it doesn't appear to have worked for Sam, and I suspect it won't work for Kennesaw. Has this method ever worked for anyone?

App St did it and it went really well for them
10-08-2023 10:18 AM
EatEmUp11 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Sam Houston State
(10-08-2023 06:19 AM)AssKickingChicken Wrote:  They have two weeks off to prepare for a game they should win by 100 points. Then they host Sam Houston before facing someone else they should beat by 100 points.
KSU travels to Huntsville, not the other way around.

Will be the Owls second road game at Sam Houston State without the Bearkats having ever been to KSU. Would assume the first matchup as a conference game will be in Kennesaw.
10-08-2023 10:25 AM
XYZ Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Various
(10-07-2023 11:52 PM)GoodOwl Wrote:  I'd recommend you just look at how basketball has gone for the owls...they rose to dominate the last level, sucked for a while when they moved up, then made the NCAAs last season....sure, football will likely take a hit moving up, but will be fine. Go Owls!

Are you implying that Kennesaw State has now become a good D1 basketball program after just one good season after so many bad ones? I would expect not. Similarly though they can have bad seasons in football especially during a transition year. That doesn’t mean that inviting them was a mistake.

If Jacksonville State can do well at the FBS level I see no reason why Kennesaw State can’t as well. Both have good proximity to a lot of talent in Atlanta and nearby areas. I also don’t see academic standards making it difficult for either program to recruit (they way it would for Ga Tech for example).
10-08-2023 12:38 PM
Miami (Oh) Yeah ! Offline
All American

I Root For: Collar Popping
(10-07-2023 11:41 PM)JSU02 Wrote:  You're saying it didn't work well for Western, it doesn't appear to have worked for Sam, and I suspect it won't work for Kennesaw. Has this method ever worked for anyone?

App State and Marshall were off to the races immediately after FCS transition.
10-08-2023 03:01 PM
bigbelly Offline
Bench Warmer

(10-08-2023 03:01 PM)Miami (Oh) Yeah ! Wrote:  

I think you just made my point: App State and Marshall were strong teams before they transitioned; Kennesaw State was not. If the Owls have a coach who thinks he can win by retaining his best players from a 5-6 FCS team, then you may have a coach who's not ready to recruit at the FBS level.
10-08-2023 03:42 PM
Advertisement

jones682 Offline
1st String

(10-08-2023 03:42 PM)bigbelly Wrote:  
(10-08-2023 03:01 PM)Miami (Oh) Yeah ! Wrote:  

I think you just made my point: App State and Marshall were strong teams before they transitioned; Kennesaw State was not. If the Owls have a coach who thinks he can win by retaining his best players from a 5-6 FCS team, then you may have a coach who's not ready to recruit at the FBS level.

KSU is one of the most winning start up D1 programs of all time. You should look at KSU's overall record and their post season wins in the FCS playoffs. KSU is in the process of changing their offense away from the TO due to the blocking rule. change the offense away from the TO and redshirting everybody is the reason why we are not good as of now.
(This post was last modified: 10-08-2023 06:10 PM by jones682.)
10-08-2023 06:06 PM
AvgSportsFan Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: GA Sports
(10-07-2023 11:24 PM)bigbelly Wrote:  So, Kennesaw State just lost to a mediocre Tennessee State dropping their record to 1-5. Breaking it down that's 0-5 against FCS teams and one win against a Division 2 school. How bad is this KSU team and did we make a big mistake in inviting them?

Lets indulge your disregard all the facts approach and assume that KSU only wins 1 game this season. That would make them a perfect fit for CUSA. You might want to open your eyes to the reality of this conference.
The better question by you would have been did WKU make a big mistake choosing CUSA?
I'm hoping that Coach Bo is going to prove himself to be a more well rounded coach than we all thought he was and prove all of you wrong.
10-08-2023 06:49 PM
AvgSportsFan Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: GA Sports
(10-08-2023 06:13 PM)LexColonel Wrote:  And EKU is one of the winningest IAA/FCS programs of all time! Look it up!
Our stadium already holds over 20,000.
Our attendance the last three years is three times KSU’s.
What we don’t have is all those commuter students paying student fees!
CUSA got what they bargained for.

A warm body in a huge media market. They got exactly what they bargained for. Not a bargain bin EKU
You just enjoy the next 30 years battling Tarleton and Utah Tech. Or maybe just UTU, Tarleton will likely pay the 5mil if they get called up (before EKU). Your Big Bro WKU is to blame for your situation, not KSU.
10-08-2023 07:11 PM
army56mike Offline

I Root For: Liberty & UofL
I’d love for EKU to be in CUSA!
10-08-2023 09:41 PM
smith79jordan Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Jax State
(10-08-2023 09:41 PM)army56mike Wrote:  I’d love for EKU to be in CUSA!

Hear, hear! I always much preferred them to the owls. We have plenty of history with EKU.
10-08-2023 10:41 PM
Advertisement

PojoaquePosse Offline
Blowhard

I Root For: NMSU
We’re bashing KSU when we have SHSU sitting at 0-5? They have had recent success and also sat a lot of their players before transitioning. Not bashing SHSU, just stating facts. For the record, I like SHSU and I like KSU. The constant bashing of KSU is silly and getting old. Discuss…
(This post was last modified: 10-08-2023 11:23 PM by PojoaquePosse.)
10-08-2023 11:19 PM
army56mike Offline

I Root For: Liberty & UofL
(10-08-2023 11:19 PM)PojoaquePosse Wrote:  We’re bashing KSU when we have SHSU sitting at 0-5? They have had recent success and also sat a lot of their players before transitioning. Not bashing SHSU, just stating facts. For the record, I like SHSU and I like KSU. The constant bashing of KSU is silly and getting old. Discuss…

Well, I didn’t mean I’d rather have EKU instead of KSU. I am glad KSU is in CUSA. I am just ready for EKU also….. among others.
10-08-2023 11:41 PM
jones682 Offline
1st String

I fell like people do know that KSU was a successful FCS team and they are redshirting everybody.
10-08-2023 11:59 PM
TOPSTRAIGHT Offline
Heisman

IMO it is too soon to tell on this KSU question. Any move-up team should be given 3-4 yrs. I know everyone wants instant success/answers but that is not realistic despite a few examples that are exceptions.
10-09-2023 02:06 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.