Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Indiana, Louisville canceling final two games of 3-game series
GoBuckeyes1047 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Ohio State
Exclamation Indiana, Louisville canceling final two games of 3-game series

Supposed to be Indiana @ Louisville in 2024 and Louisville @ Indiana in 2025. Unknown if Indiana is canceling the series or if it was mutually agreed.

Not sure if this is a result of the future B1G conference schedule for 2024-25 seasons or for other reasons.
09-12-2023 11:57 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

IWokeUpLikeThis Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
RE: Indiana, Louisville canceling final two games of 3-game series
Indiana has likely realized they need to soften up their schedules in a hurry with UW/UO/USC/UCLA coming in.
09-12-2023 12:02 PM
Lord2FLI Away
Peanut Vendor

I Root For: The End
Yeah, Indiana is probably looking at their schedule and realizing they need cupcakes OOC if they ever want to be bowl eligible.
09-12-2023 12:05 PM
goofus Offline
All American

I Root For: Iowa
well Michigan doesn't have to schedule any P5 schools OOC in 2022 and 2023? Why should Indiana schedule any P4 schools in 2024 and 2025?

But you never know, maybe the ACC Notre Dame schedule is getting changed and Louisville wanted a change.
09-12-2023 12:36 PM
DFW HOYA Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Georgetown
Both of them have to clear the non-conference slate for new conference entrants--TCU did this to SMU a month ago.

Both won't be the last series to get reshuffled.
09-12-2023 12:39 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Gitanole Offline
Barista

I Root For: Florida State
(09-12-2023 11:57 AM)GoBuckeyes1047 Wrote:  

Supposed to be Indiana @ Louisville in 2024 and Louisville @ Indiana in 2025. Unknown if Indiana is canceling the series or if it was mutually agreed.

Not sure if this is a result of the future B1G conference schedule for 2024-25 seasons or for other reasons.

This series may be a scheduling remnant of the ill-fated 'Alliance.' PAC, B1G, and ACC were aiming to schedule interesting games with each other in lieu of the conferences raiding each other.
09-12-2023 12:47 PM
Advertisement

BigOwensboroCard Offline
1st String

I Root For: Louisville
You are confusing people with the title. It suggests that Louisville was in agreement with Indiana to cancel the series. Not true at all. This is completely Indiana who actually wanted to cancel the entire 3 game series earlier this year, but Josh Heird Louisville AD informed them it was too late to cancel the game for 2023 in Indianapolis. So Indiana is going to pay the cancellation fee of $1million which I think they’re getting off pretty cheap. Any team Louisville is able to sign to play is going to eat up at least half that or more to play a buy game. Again Louisville didn’t want anything to do with canceling the series for they thought being 75miles away from Bloomington and Louisville would allow for both fan bases easy travel. Oh well just another BigTen team scared to play out side of the G5 realm.
(This post was last modified: 09-12-2023 01:00 PM by BigOwensboroCard.)
09-12-2023 12:57 PM
PlayBall! Offline
1st String

I Root For: Kansas & Big XII
UofL: Give KU's AD a call. IDK if slots are available, but worth asking. :-)
09-12-2023 01:36 PM
bill dazzle Offline
Craft beer and urban living enthusiast

I Root For: Vandy/Memphis/DePaul/UNC
I hate to see it.
09-12-2023 01:58 PM
GoBuckeyes1047 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Ohio State
(09-12-2023 12:57 PM)BigOwensboroCard Wrote:  You are confusing people with the title. It suggests that Louisville was in agreement with Indiana to cancel the series. Not true at all. This is completely Indiana who actually wanted to cancel the entire 3 game series earlier this year, but Josh Heird Louisville AD informed them it was too late to cancel the game for 2023 in Indianapolis. So Indiana is going to pay the cancellation fee of $1million which I think they’re getting off pretty cheap. Any team Louisville is able to sign to play is going to eat up at least half that or more to play a buy game. Again Louisville didn’t want anything to do with canceling the series for they thought being 75miles away from Bloomington and Louisville would allow for both fan bases easy travel. Oh well just another BigTen team scared to play out side of the G5 realm.

I just used the title of the article from FBSchedules. Scanned over the acticle and seen it mentioned they didn't know if it was Indiana canceling or a mutual agreement to end it early and mentioned it so people were aware. It could very well be Indiana backing out on Louisville, in which, they owe Louisville $1.3 mil, but the author of the article didn't have enough info to confirm one way or the other, just that they knew it was canceled beyond this year.
09-12-2023 02:28 PM
CardinalJim Offline
Welcome to The New Age

(09-12-2023 01:36 PM)PlayBall! Wrote:  UofL: Give KU's AD a call. IDK if slots are available, but worth asking. :-)

We actually did a home and home with y’all back in ‘89 and ‘90. Some great games. As a matter of fact I believe I have the 1990 game on VHS somewhere. Both were really good games.

I remember the 1990 Kansas game because Coach Schnellenberger had a segment on his coach’s show where he would have a youth team come to the stadium and run a critical play on the turf.

My team got to run a play where the late Latrell Ware ran a sweep and scored. Strange the things you remember.

I would love to see Louisville play more Big 12 programs.
09-12-2023 02:37 PM
Advertisement

eku05 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: EKU & U of L
Quote:This series may be a scheduling remnant of the ill-fated 'Alliance.' PAC, B1G, and ACC were aiming to schedule interesting games with each other in lieu of the conferences raiding each other.

This was scheduled long before any of that. It's a series that makes almost too much sense. The schools are only about two hours driving time apart.
09-12-2023 02:47 PM
CardinalJim Offline
Welcome to The New Age

The Indiana vs Louisville series was announced in August 2015.

https://saturdaytradition.com/indiana-fo...ouisville/
09-12-2023 03:16 PM
bryanw1995 Offline
+12 Hackmaster

I Root For: A&M
(09-12-2023 12:02 PM)IWokeUpLikeThis Wrote:  Indiana has likely realized they need to soften up their schedules in a hurry with UW/UO/USC/UCLA coming in.

No kidding. Those could be the top 4 B1G teams in 2024.
09-12-2023 03:20 PM
chess Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ECU & Nebraska
This is too bad. It would be fun to have Indiana and Louisville play a football game and the winner hosts a basketball game the same year.
09-12-2023 03:22 PM
PlayBall! Offline
1st String

I Root For: Kansas & Big XII
(09-12-2023 02:37 PM)CardinalJim Wrote:  I would love to see Louisville play more Big 12 programs.

You will! Beginning no later than the fall of 2036. 03-shhhh

Should have been ~ten year ago, though. (UC too.) Darn that UT AD.
09-12-2023 03:27 PM
Advertisement

CardinalJim Offline
Welcome to The New Age

(09-12-2023 03:27 PM)PlayBall! Wrote:  
(09-12-2023 02:37 PM)CardinalJim Wrote:  I would love to see Louisville play more Big 12 programs.

You will! Beginning no later than the fall of 2036. 03-shhhh

Should have been ~ten year ago, though. (UC too.) Darn that UT AD.

I wish it could happen sooner but I doubt it. We’re just delaying the inevitable.
09-12-2023 03:45 PM
Pervis_Griffith Offline
All American

The rumors of Indiana trying to get out of this series started late in 2022. It's silly. These schools are only 75 minutes apart, and the city of Louisville has a large base of IU alumni.

If I was an Indiana grad, I'd be pissed about losing this series. Especially since UK ended the IU-UK annual series. An interesting out-of-conference tilt, between neighbors that is easy for fans to travel to.

We'll cash the buyout check happily though.

07-coffee3
09-12-2023 03:50 PM
Gitanole Offline
Barista

I Root For: Florida State
(09-12-2023 02:47 PM)eku05 Wrote:  
Quote:This series may be a scheduling remnant of the ill-fated 'Alliance.' PAC, B1G, and ACC were aiming to schedule interesting games with each other in lieu of the conferences raiding each other.

This was scheduled long before any of that. It's a series that makes almost too much sense. The schools are only about two hours driving time apart.

Ah! Thanks.

I was wondering, as this has that look. And there are a few games like that.

I agree about the sense it makes. Louisville to me has a very Midsouth-meets-Midwest vibe.
09-12-2023 03:51 PM
goofus Offline
All American

I Root For: Iowa
I don't get it. Unless the Big Ten is going to 10 conference games, why cancel this series? OK, maybe Indiana now has a West coast trip among it's 9 conference games, but other than that, I don't see a big change in the strength of schedule.

After all, Indiana was playing Ohio St, Penn St, Mich and Mich St every year. Now they are playing them 50% of the time at best. Except for the West coast trip, it's mostly a wash.
09-12-2023 04:12 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.