Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

CUSA first G5 to use GOR.
Bookmark and Share
Troy_Fan_15 Offline
Sun Belt Apologist

I Root For: Troy Trojans
CUSA first G5 to use GOR.
(08-22-2023 07:28 AM)BeatWestern! Wrote:  Chris Vannini of The Athletic reports that CUSA schools did sign a GOR as part of their new media rights deal that runs through 2027-28:

"In addition to this new five-year media rights contract (plus a one-year option), CUSA schools have signed a grant of rights, according to a source familiar with the agreement, giving their media rights to the conference and keeping the league locked together through the deal. It’s a major step up in stability from recent years, and no other Group of 5 conference has a grant of rights."

This, of course, has huge implications for conference realignment, as none of the other G5 conferences will be able to poach teams from CUSA in the next five years.

This means if the MAC does indeed intend to expand to 14 members before its media rights deal expires in 2026-27, it will likely be with UMass and Delaware for all sports or UMass and UConn for football only.

And if the AAC does lose SMU to the ACC and backfills with Texas State (instead of Army West Point), the SBC could target Missouri State to replace the Bobcats.

Interesting development. It’s short term but it at least gives CUSA some stability for the next 5 years. Of course if a conference could offer you $6-$8M you probably still just leave anyway and break the GOR by paying it.
08-22-2023 08:09 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

monarx Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ODU
RE: CUSA first G5 to use GOR.
I don't see how it helps that much because at the G5 level, the media rights aren't really worth that much anyway. It might keep the SB and MAC from poaching, and maaaaybe the AAC if they tried to get them in at the $2million they gave the CUSA newbies. But if the AAC or MWC offered a full share, teams would still likely leave. At least until their payments drop to be more in line with the other three.
08-22-2023 08:17 AM
gdunn Offline
Repping E-Gang Colors

I Root For: Southern Miss

Survivor Champion
Right now not knowing what the next round of alignment has going on or the ripple effects, I gotta say it was a bold move for JuJu and Co to do it to keep the league afloat.
08-22-2023 08:21 AM
KRT8871 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Marshall
It makes sense that C-USA would clean up its bylaws after the SB3 made it abundantly clear they were full of holes. But I'm surprised the non-call ups in the conference would make it significantly harder to leave with the potential of the MWC and AAC needing to in fill.
08-22-2023 08:39 AM
mturn017 Offline
ODU Homer

I Root For: Old Dominion
08-22-2023 08:47 AM
RustonBulldog Offline
2nd String

I Root For: LA Tech
(08-22-2023 08:39 AM)KRT8871 Wrote:  It makes sense that C-USA would clean up its bylaws after the SB3 made it abundantly clear they were full of holes. But I'm surprised the non-call ups in the conference would make it significantly harder to leave with the potential of the MWC and AAC needing to in fill.

It makes sense from the perspective it keeps the league from falling apart again. If this had been in place two years ago, the second round of poaching from the Sun Belt never happens.

If the AAC or MWC get raided it makes the potential for a double raid (like the AAC/Sun Belt one that just happened) less of a threat.

As one of the leftovers, I don’t mind it if it means additional stability and more significant financial windfall in the event of instability.
08-22-2023 08:50 AM
Advertisement

gdunn Offline
Repping E-Gang Colors

Survivor Champion
(08-22-2023 08:50 AM)RustonBulldog Wrote:  
(08-22-2023 08:39 AM)KRT8871 Wrote:  It makes sense that C-USA would clean up its bylaws after the SB3 made it abundantly clear they were full of holes. But I'm surprised the non-call ups in the conference would make it significantly harder to leave with the potential of the MWC and AAC needing to in fill.

It makes sense from the perspective it keeps the league from falling apart again. If this had been in place two years ago, the second round of poaching from the Sun Belt never happens.

If the AAC or MWC get raided it makes the potential for a double raid (like the AAC/Sun Belt one that just happened) less of a threat.

As one of the leftovers, I don’t mind it if it means additional stability and more significant financial windfall in the event of instability.

Exactly. If CUSA were to fall apart, I don't think it's feasible for a La Tech to go Indy again. I think I've seen where some of Tech's fans have said it was a tough time for the Athletics department. It's doable, just not feasible. That's if they couldn't find a home elsewhere.
08-22-2023 08:55 AM
ODUODUODU Offline
1st String

By Laws Baby!!!
08-22-2023 08:56 AM
mturn017 Offline
ODU Homer

We would have stroked a check and headed for the door just the same.
08-22-2023 09:02 AM
HCJag Offline
All American

I Root For: South Alabama

Me too, but I don't think a 4-yr GOR in CUSA is going to keep LaTech, WKU and MTSU from doing whatever it is that they want to do. If something better comes along, dey gone.
08-22-2023 09:06 AM
FairwayEagle Offline
1st String

(08-22-2023 08:56 AM)ODUODUODU Wrote:  By Laws Baby!!!

UAB flaunted the CUSA bylaws when it dropped football in 2014. The bylaws required that all CUSA members (starting with CUSA 2.0) have FBS football programs. They should have been removed from the league. Instead they were given special treatment that gave them huge advantages when they returned. I figure any CUSA GOR is worth about as much as those bylaws.
08-22-2023 09:10 AM
Advertisement

monarx Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-22-2023 09:06 AM)HCJag Wrote:  

Me too, but I don't think a 4-yr GOR in CUSA is going to keep LaTech, WKU and MTSU from doing whatever it is that they want to do. If something better comes along, dey gone.

Didnt MTSU just reject an offer from the MAC, which resulted in WKU being forced to stay in Judy-land too? MT had a chance for something better and didnt take it... screwing WKU in the process.
08-22-2023 09:26 AM
Pounce FTW Offline
All American

I Root For: GSU - MU - AU
(08-22-2023 08:56 AM)ODUODUODU Wrote:  By Laws Baby!!!

BYLAWZZZZ
08-22-2023 09:28 AM
b0ndsj0ns Offline
Legend

I Root For: ECU
At C-USA's TV value you could buy out of that GOR for a ham sandwich. What's actually more interesting in regards to this is will we get to see in the near future what happens if you try to break a GOR? No one at the "Power" level has had the guts to legally challenge a GOR, not because it's a guarantee that it will legally hold but because the downside risk of it happening is so large. I highly doubt any court would actually hold that a conference owns your TV rights for the entire life of the GOR, in almost all cases if you can assign a monetary value to something that's what they do. So what would they assign the monetary value of a GOR? The full share of the departing member for the life of the contract? Some lesser number based upon the economic loss of the departing member? That's going to be fascinating to watch, and I'm sure FSU is hoping to see some GOR precedent get set.
08-22-2023 09:39 AM
Blue_Trombone Offline
Heisman

A GOR also might have been a requirement from media partners to get the deal y'all have. So the legacy members might not have been left with many good other choices.
08-22-2023 09:48 AM
KRT8871 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Marshall
(08-22-2023 09:26 AM)monarx Wrote:  

Didnt MTSU just reject an offer from the MAC, which resulted in WKU being forced to stay in Judy-land too? MT had a chance for something better and didnt take it... screwing WKU in the process.

The rumor is that the MAC wanted a 20 year GOR. No idea if that was ever substantiated or not.
08-22-2023 10:23 AM
Advertisement

GreenBison Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marshall | SBC
(08-22-2023 10:23 AM)KRT8871 Wrote:  

The rumor is that the MAC wanted a 20 year GOR. No idea if that was ever substantiated or not.

Vannini said that CUSA was the only G5 to have a GOR.

"In addition to this new five-year media rights contract (plus a one-year option), CUSA schools have signed a grant of rights, according to a source familiar with the agreement, giving their media rights to the conference and keeping the league locked together through the deal. It’s a major step up in stability from recent years, and no other Group of 5 conference has a grant of rights."
(This post was last modified: 08-22-2023 10:46 AM by GreenBison.)
08-22-2023 10:45 AM
monarx Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-22-2023 10:45 AM)GreenBison Wrote:  
(08-22-2023 10:23 AM)KRT8871 Wrote:  

Vannini said that CUSA was the only G5 to have a GOR.

Rumor was the MAC wanted that from MT and WKU to bail them out of CUSA.
08-22-2023 10:51 AM
bleedmaroon Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: EKU
WKU and Liberty people aren't happy about it. WKU believes they are the next call up to the SBC or AAC if a team leaves. Liberty is destined to move up due to the amount of cash they are laying on top of.

MTSU said no to the MAC with WKU cause MTSU is in a bad financial spot but its getting better. The GOR is just a more permanent bandaid to give the ADs and CUSA officials more time to add 2-4 schools over the next 4 years (year before their media deal is over).

People in KY were under the impression that WKU would fill a spot in the SBC if a team leaves and EKU would backfill their CUSA spot or EKU and WKU would finally put their differences aside and move to the MAC together.

GOR CUSA now makes it more difficult for SBC or AAC call ups now
08-22-2023 10:54 AM
Yosef181 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Appalachian State
I guess if WKU wants to stay stuck in CUSA, this is one way to do it.
08-22-2023 11:02 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.