Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Anonymous Sun Belt Football Fan Thoughts Part One - Coastal Carolina
Bookmark and Share
T-Dog Online
SunBeltbbs App State INsider

I Root For: App State
Anonymous Sun Belt Football Fan Thoughts Part One - Coastal Carolina
Thanks to everyone who contributed and went back even after I failed at putting together a Google survey at first. I got more responses than I thought I would.

I randomized all 14 Sun Belt teams and will post the responses for each team in that order, each in a new thread, about each day or so for the next two weeks.

These were not edited in any way and I did not collect info on the poll so I legit don't know who submitted what.

Here's Part 1 on Coastal Carolina Football

-

8-4

Good Team should be in a Bowl

Cocky as ever

Look for a setback.

Offense will still be good. May be more one dimensional due to defense being in need of repair.

What the hell is a Chanticleer?

Solid

Hate them, probably gonna fall off

Bowl Team

They will be a contender in the East.

I am far less convinced that Coastal is going to have the great year that most are projecting. McCall is back, but he's not running the same offense that was tailor made for him since middle school. A new coaching staff will introduce some growing pains. This is a 6-6 to 8-4 squad in my opinion.

Defense struggled mightily last season for most of last season and I expect that trend to continue again in 2023. Luckily the West opponent draws will bail them out along with 3 easy OOC games. Getting to 6 wins will be a pretty easy task but getting more than 7 again is going to be tough for them.

Best QB in the conference. Would be nice to see them go far in his last ride. East is stacked again though so we'll see.

Doubt they will sustain what Chadwell built.

I think they fall off after Chadwell left

NCSU fans were happy when Beck left as OC. Coastal have taken several steps backwards in coaching and player personnel
Will post-Chadwell probations be announced this year or in 2024?

Should still be pretty good. 8-9 wins.

Glory days are over.

They have an excellant football program.

I think they have been overrated since the 2020 season. Theyre still decent and get some good bounces, but never reached the same level of dominance as App did.

They will be interesting to watch with a new coach. Probably a bowl eligible team.

Good football team, that will win a bunch of games

I expect them to be in the Top 4 as long as McCall is there.

Their performance is going to fall like a rock.

great offense, terrible defense. i feel like they’re being severely overrated entering this season.

Questionable this year

Looking for them to surprise a few teams and fans this year. Still won't be as good as last year though.

Make or break for the brand; 7-5

I think Tim Beck could actually be a great hire for coastal as much as I hate to say it. McCall coming back could be a problem for the rest of the sunbelt.

New coach, old dominate QB = new scheme and a slight step back

6-6

Rebuilding

Spiraling down. 5 wins.

They will be good.

New coach, experienced qb – 8-5

I don't think they will be able to maintain their amazing success, but maybe will make a bowl.

New coach, but returning a great QB. Should be middle to upper 1/3 of conference.

Probably a contender for the title

Falls dramatically to the bottom of the East

Will be a great team. They get back that QB (I can't remember his name), so I think that will give them an advantage right off the bat.

Very Questionable

McCall's farewell tour may make him one of the biggest stars this league will ever have. So long as he has anywhere close to a strong statistic season, he'll be given the 4x Player of the Year award.

Student section is great....can't believe they don't sell more tickets to adults.

Grayson McCall fumbling the bag with the transfer portal landed him right back in Conway. But he’s lost many of the pieces that made Coastal’s offense what it was the past few years, including his head coach, along with getting absolutely robbed during recruiting. The sea chickens have to prove this season that they are still a contender.

Can't play any more dirty than they did under mr hairdo. So that'll be an improvement as an opposing fan.

Should win 8-9 games

They’ve been exciting to watch. Unfortunately I think Chadwell and McCall were once-in-a-generation difference makers. I think they regress from here.
(This post was last modified: 06-12-2023 05:26 PM by T-Dog.)
06-12-2023 05:23 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

EigenEagle Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Ga Southern
RE: Anonymous Sun Belt Football Fan Thoughts Part One - Coastal Carolina
I thought this would be just generic trash talk but I guess some aren't as willing to give critical opinions under their moniker as I am. Could be an interesting series.

I think Coastal has at least one more good season as long as the new coaches don't try to "fix" what Chadwell did Tyson Summers style.
(This post was last modified: 06-12-2023 06:27 PM by EigenEagle.)
06-12-2023 06:25 PM
rokamortis Offline
All American

I Root For: Coastal
(06-12-2023 06:25 PM)EigenEagle Wrote:  I thought this would be just generic trash talk but I guess some aren't as willing to give critical opinions under their moniker as I am. Could be an interesting series.

I think Coastal has at least one more good season as long as the new coaches don't try to "fix" what Chadwell did Tyson Summers style.

Some interesting takes for sure and pretty split.

Definitely some questions that won’t be answered until we start play.
How much will we miss Chadwell?
How good will a career assistant, first year head coach perform?
Will the new DC turn around the defense?
Will the new OC be able to harness the power of McCall? Or was McCall a product of Chadwell?

From my biased take:

Offense: It seemed like the SBC defenses were starting to figure out the offense. Chadwell only had one QB that could run his offense during his time at Coastal. New OC Trickett has mentioned that they will keep what was working and then also develop new stuff around the returning players. So expect to see some old, some new.

Defense: I think it will have to be better on that side of the ball.

Other:
The new coaching staff has a mix of experience and youth.
We actually didn’t lose that much to the transfer portal. I’m cautiously optimistic that we’ll be a 8-9 win team.
(This post was last modified: 06-12-2023 06:46 PM by rokamortis.)
06-12-2023 06:44 PM
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
I don't do anonymous conversations: I put mine into the open

They'll be good, but I question if the new coach is going to be able to effectively replace what they are losing with Chadwell, combined with graduation etc. I think they may be due an App State sort of year this year where they win a game they shouldn't, and lose a game or two they shouldn't as well on the way to squeaking to bowl eligibility.

Doesn't mean they won't be good in the future, I just question if they can put it together this year.
06-12-2023 07:16 PM
MOTIAW Offline
1st String

I Root For: Coastal Carolina
The biggest factor in the overall outcome will be the Oline. It’s decimated. Imo, they will cost us big time. Yet no one is talking about it. We lost a guy in Coach Durkin, who was tailor made to coach the specific Oline JC needed. Warehime not only has to prove to be just as good as Durkin, but also equally as well suited to tailor fit the Beck O, and obviously they haven’t worked together previously, so that’s a reach year 1.

McCall will be healthier than in 2 years. The O will probably have some growing pains, switching things up a bit, keeping it from regaining the momentum it had 2 years ago. Taking away any percent of the offense that kept Ds guessing, will only augment the negative impact the Oline has.

I disagree wholeheartedly with those who think “people caught up to Chadwell”… the O performance last year was far more hampered (almost singularly so) by injury alone… legitimate, substantial injury, than anything else.

The D is going to be a surprise, one way or the other. Things have to improve on the back end, almost by default. Almost nowhere to go but up back there. But the D line was hit pretty good too, via exodus, not just existing guys, but a whole high end set of Dline inbound FR. They’ve added a lot of pieces from the portal, won’t be sure how they gel till we see them in action.

I’m going to guess we see the D step forward, and the O step back. I’m not sure that’s the best scenario for an “outscore them” team. Hope I’m wrong, but I see a .500 or slightly better team. Maybe one that shows strong improvement towards season’s end, and sets them up for next year.
06-12-2023 07:32 PM
TealNation Offline
All American

I'm feeling we will be pretty good this season. I think many of the returning players are going into this season with a little bit of a chip on their shoulders. A lot of unknowns schematically but there is a good nucleus of proven talent.
McCall is as healthy as he's been in a while and that bodes well. Hopefully we can implement new things without overwriting what has worked here. Sounds like that's the plan.

Would be nice to be up big in a couple games to see some of the new QBs as well. Kansas transfer Ethan Vasko, should offer a McCall like package with his dual threat ability. Kansas' offense is ironically similar to a lot of stuff we've run the past few years. I'd say that played a part.
06-12-2023 08:25 PM
Advertisement

BirdofParadise Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Always thought Chadwell was overrated as a head coach. McCall can't do it on his own and I don't think he has the supporting cast for Coastal to challenge for a title (but with JMU not eligible, you never know.
06-13-2023 11:30 AM
ballantyneapp Offline
All American

I Root For: App
while I didn't type it, I preferred the "ass" description
06-13-2023 11:49 AM
TealNation Offline
All American

(06-13-2023 11:30 AM)BirdofParadise Wrote:  Always thought Chadwell was overrated as a head coach. McCall can't do it on his own and I don't think he has the supporting cast for Coastal to challenge for a title (but with JMU not eligible, you never know.

We actually have a favorable amount of offensive weapons on offense besides McCall. The issue this past season was mainly injuries and a significant dropoff in QB depth after McCall. That paired with horrendous secondary play and it definitely appeared that McCall was the only capable guy on the field at times.

As for the returning offensive weapons beyond McCall you have a big target WR in Sam Pinckney, returning RBs Reese White, Brayden Bennett, CJ Beasley, and arguably the most explosive player in the league Jared Brown.

The TE position seemed to have upgraded over last season as they brought in an athletic TE from Notre Dame, more of a blocking TE from North Carolina, and a big target TE from Colorado.

As stated above the unproven line play in relation to schematics will be the determining factor more so than talent. If the defense is better, which I expect it can only go up, I believe this team will be competitive in every game this season from a talent standpoint. Of course, all of this is contingent on the injury bug being contained.
06-13-2023 12:10 PM
HyperDuke Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: JMU
(06-12-2023 07:16 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  I don't do anonymous conversations: I put mine into the open.

I mean…is your real name chiefsfan??
06-13-2023 12:16 PM
Ewglenn Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MTSU
You should do this for CUSA too. Interesting the remarks.
06-13-2023 12:53 PM
Advertisement

ODU2017 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Old Dominion University
(06-13-2023 12:16 PM)HyperDuke Wrote:  
(06-12-2023 07:16 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  I don't do anonymous conversations: I put mine into the open.

It's a family name.
06-13-2023 01:25 PM
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU

Well...duh

Your name isn't Hyper Duke?
06-13-2023 02:16 PM
slycat Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Texas State
I regret not getting responses in on time.

I agree with most that there will be regression but still a bowl team. And what is a Chanticleer 03-wink?
06-14-2023 07:33 AM
TrueBlueDrew Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jawjuh Suthen
(06-14-2023 07:33 AM)slycat Wrote:  And what is a Chanticleer 03-wink?

It’s a chicken that’s…you know…
[Image: avatars-zdYM1c8oEVNpLI32-eucklQ-t500x500.jpg]
06-14-2023 08:13 AM
slycat Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Texas State
A southern dandy chicken
06-14-2023 11:48 AM
Advertisement

TealNation Offline
All American

(06-14-2023 08:13 AM)TrueBlueDrew Wrote:  
(06-14-2023 07:33 AM)slycat Wrote:  And what is a Chanticleer 03-wink?

It’s a chicken that’s…you know…
[Image: avatars-zdYM1c8oEVNpLI32-eucklQ-t500x500.jpg]

Flies? Who knew fancy roosters had more flight than eagles? Not me.

[Image: 20230614-130906.jpg]
06-14-2023 12:30 PM
TroyFootball05 Online
1987 Man of the Year

I Root For: Good Times
06-15-2023 10:36 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
GoBigRed26 Offline
1st String

I Root For: stAte
(06-13-2023 02:16 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  

Well...duh

Your name isn't Hyper Duke?

Nothing like an anonymous poll to keep from knowing which anonymous poster said what. It's like, double anonymous.
06-16-2023 09:56 AM
ragin4u Offline
WOKE AF

I Root For: Louisiana & Magat Tears
(06-15-2023 10:36 PM)TroyFootball05 Wrote:  

WOW Ben's shade game is 100.
06-16-2023 10:42 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.