Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Is the State of Texas Giving UNT an Advantage....
Side.Show.Joe Offline
All American

I Root For: North Texas
and if so, will it trickle down to athletics? It appears UTSA, SMU & Rice will not have access to this money.

"The Texas Senate passed a bill earlier in April creating a multibillion-dollar endowment to fund several Texas schools, a move Inside High Ed said was spurred on in part by the University of Texas' decision to depart the Big 12 for the SEC effective Summer 2024. The endowment — the Texas University Fund (TUF) — primarily benefits Texas Tech, the University of Houston, the University of North Texas and Texas State University, all of which are public research universities. No University of Texas System campus has access to the endowment." - 247Sports

https://247sports.com/Article/Texas-Sena...209075542/
04-28-2023 08:48 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Pony94 Online

I Root For: SMU
Haha, SMU laughs at the peasants to the north
04-28-2023 09:14 PM
Memphis Yankee Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
RE: Is the State of Texas Giving UNT an Advantage....
(04-28-2023 09:14 PM)Pony94 Wrote:  Haha, SMU laughs at the peasants to the north
[Image: giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47wikijsxjbca657p26d...p;amp;ct=g]
04-28-2023 09:35 PM
dezagcoog Offline
1st String

I Root For: Coogs!
(04-28-2023 08:48 PM)Side.Show.Joe Wrote:  and if so, will it trickle down to athletics? It appears UTSA, SMU & Rice will not have access to this money.

"The Texas Senate passed a bill earlier in April creating a multibillion-dollar endowment to fund several Texas schools, a move Inside High Ed said was spurred on in part by the University of Texas' decision to depart the Big 12 for the SEC effective Summer 2024. The endowment — the Texas University Fund (TUF) — primarily benefits Texas Tech, the University of Houston, the University of North Texas and Texas State University, all of which are public research universities. No University of Texas System campus has access to the endowment." - 247Sports

UTSA has access to the PUF fund as they are a UT school, and SMU and Rice are private institutions. It's pretty logical.
04-29-2023 01:15 AM
ghostofclt! Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Charlotte
clt says maybe unt will get free stadiums like memphis
04-29-2023 07:29 AM
Side.Show.Joe Offline
All American

(04-28-2023 09:14 PM)Pony94 Wrote:  Haha, SMU laughs at the peasants to the north

Peasants don't have multibillion dollar funds to tap into. This development must be troubling you.

By the way, did SMU's PAC invitation arrive in the mail yet? 07-coffee3
04-29-2023 11:20 AM
Advertisement

Side.Show.Joe Offline
All American

(04-29-2023 01:15 AM)dezagcoog Wrote:  
(04-28-2023 08:48 PM)Side.Show.Joe Wrote:  and if so, will it trickle down to athletics? It appears UTSA, SMU & Rice will not have access to this money.

UTSA has access to the PUF fund as they are a UT school, and SMU and Rice are private institutions. It's pretty logical.

I understand, but UTSA like UTEP sucks on the hind tit of the PUF. Pony94 has already made it clear that SMU isn't happy about this new development. So, this seems to be an advantage to Houston (47,000 students), UNT (45,000 students), Texas Tech (40,000 students) & Texas State (38,000 Students).
04-29-2023 11:37 AM
XYZ Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Various

It sounds like the are trying to make things a little more fair for the non-UT schools that don’t have access to the same funding for research. SMU and Rice are private schools.
04-29-2023 11:42 AM
58-56 Offline
Blazer Revolutionary

I Root For: Fire Ray Watts

BlazerTalk Award
(04-29-2023 11:20 AM)Side.Show.Joe Wrote:  

Peasants don't have multibillion dollar funds to tap into. This development must be troubling you.

By the way, did SMU's PAC invitation arrive in the mail yet? 07-coffee3

When you've used the governor as your bagman, you get a little leeway in calling others peasants.
04-29-2023 12:20 PM
Agust Offline
1st String

I Root For: Houston
this is the result of the BIG12 asking the governor and others to step in and stop Texas from leaving, causing the collapse of the B12 or what everyone thought would be the collapse. and they also stressed that it would leave a financial impact on the state of texas since it was right smack in B12 territory. it was a televised event and humourous to watch. in the end it was a bunch of scolding for not adding UH and other texas schools to the B12 when they had a chance. glad they took the money away from texas and spread it elsewhere. good for us. there were two funds that texas had access to outside of the conference money and I believe this is only one of them they still have access to the funds from oil drilling i believe. i hope they take that away too.
04-29-2023 10:13 PM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
Texas has something like a 32 billion dollar surplus this year. One of the issues in Texas is that there are only 2 AAU level public schools in Texas---and both are full and difficult to get into even if you have the grades. California has 7 AAU public schools I believe---so Texas is clearly falling behind in this area. The idea of creating a billion dollar fund for each of these three schools that would spin off extra revenue designated for the purpose of improving these universities to AAU level standards is not a bad idea for Texas higher education. It would give kids who cant get into UT or A&M a AAU level "in state" public option as opposed to them enrolling in AAU level schools located out of state (that is a source of "brain drain" from the state). Whether this comes to pass or not---I have no idea---but there is substantial support in the legislature for the measure.
(This post was last modified: 04-30-2023 04:38 PM by Attackcoog.)
04-30-2023 12:21 PM
Advertisement

ESE84 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice then UH

New Orleans BowlDonators
(04-30-2023 12:21 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  Texas has something like a 32 billion dollar surplus this year. One of the issues in Texas is that there are only 2 AAU level public schools in Texas---and both are full and difficult to get into even if you have the grades. California has 7 AAU public schools I believe---so Texas is clearly falling behind in this area. The idea of creating a billion dollar fund that for each of these three schools that would spin off extra revenue designated for the purpose of improving these universities to AAU level standards is not a bad idea for Texas higher education. It would give kids who cant get into UT or A&M a AAU level "in state" public option as opposed to them enrolling in AAU level schools located out of state (that is a source of "brain drain" from the state). Whether this comes to pass or not---I have no idea---but there is substantial support in the legislature for the measure.

Attackcoog has it correct. This is about Texas keeping smart kids in Texas and giving them AAU options beyond Texas, TAMU, and Rice.
04-30-2023 01:15 PM
Side.Show.Joe Offline
All American

(04-30-2023 12:21 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  Texas has something like a 32 billion dollar surplus this year. One of the issues in Texas is that there are only 2 AAU level public schools in Texas---and both are full and difficult to get into even if you have the grades. California has 7 AAU public schools I believe---so Texas is clearly falling behind in this area. The idea of creating a billion dollar fund that for each of these three schools that would spin off extra revenue designated for the purpose of improving these universities to AAU level standards is not a bad idea for Texas higher education. It would give kids who cant get into UT or A&M a AAU level "in state" public option as opposed to them enrolling in AAU level schools located out of state (that is a source of "brain drain" from the state). Whether this comes to pass or not---I have no idea---but there is substantial support in the legislature for the measure.

This is very true. Texas knows they need more AAU level universities. This level of investment could certainly result in Houston, Texas Tech, & North Texas reaching academic levels comparable to AAU universities in the not-too-distant future. Texas State seems like they have a lot more work to do.
04-30-2023 03:59 PM
ghostofclt! Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Charlotte
clt says aau cannot be that important if UNC CHeat wasn't excluded after the largest academic fraud in NCAA history leading to a revaluation of the school even being accredited,
04-30-2023 04:21 PM
SMUleopold Offline
1st String

I Root For: Guess, genius..

The State of Texas IS an advantage, to all schools who reside in it.

All that aside, it's good to see the state invest in its universities and not just in UT and A&M - I'd argue everybody wins if TT, UH, UNT, TSU continue to grow and prosper.

Good luck with the money, go do great things with it.
04-30-2023 06:26 PM
Side.Show.Joe Offline
All American

(04-30-2023 06:26 PM)SMUleopold Wrote:  

The State of Texas IS an advantage, to all schools who reside in it.

All that aside, it's good to see the state invest in its universities and not just in UT and A&M - I'd argue everybody wins if TT, UH, UNT, TSU continue to grow and prosper.

Good luck with the money, go do great things with it.

Thank you for the kind wishes. I look forward to our time together in the AAC, however long it may last. 04-cheers
05-02-2023 06:54 PM
Advertisement

TodgeRodge Offline
All American

I Root For: Todge
(04-30-2023 03:59 PM)Side.Show.Joe Wrote:  

This is very true. Texas knows they need more AAU level universities. This level of investment could certainly result in Houston, Texas Tech, & North Texas reaching academic levels comparable to AAU universities in the not-too-distant future. Texas State seems like they have a lot more work to do.

Texas State is already ahead of north Texas state in a number of metrics that would be considered by the AAU

until 2018 Texas State was doing more total research and development than north Texas state and in 2021 Texas State still does a much greater share of federally financed research and development and Texas State does a much larger share of "restricted" (competitively awarded) research (no development included) as defined by The State of Texas than north Texas state does

the only reason the total research and development changed is because north Texas state shifted a lot of money from hiring tenure track faculty to part time faculty and put the money into self funded research (not a good long term situation for students especially undergrads)

from 2014 until 2021 (last number available) Texas State has significantly higher research expenditures per FTE

the endowment for Texas State is 334 million for north Texas state it is 276 million (neither is close to AAU metrics)

in the fall of 2021 40% of the freshman class for Texas State was in the top 25% of their HS class for north Texas stat it was 36% (neither are AAU like)

in 2021 and 2022 Texas State has a larger number of students in the freshman class in the top 10% of their Texas HS class and a larger number of students in the freshman class in the 11-25% of their Texas HS class

there is only a 1 point ACT difference between the two for freshman and 60 for the SAT and neither are close to AAU metrics

north Texas state has had a better 4 year graduation rate for the last 4 years (2019-22), but Texas State has better 5 and 6 year rates

Texas State has also aligned their degree offerings to now get a much larger amount of state appropriations er FTSE and this could continue to grow as they grow their STEM offerings and their graduate programs

neither university is close to AAU metrics, but Texas State has positioned themselves much better for the future than north Texas state has and as they get past a few things they will be in an even better position going forward especially with a new president vs. the one that did a lot of really good things for them, but had grown stale and that was always weak in private fund raising

remember this is not greenweenies.noinfo so one is free to call out the BS without mods shutting down the facts
05-02-2023 10:08 PM
CitrusUCF Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF/Tulsa
(05-02-2023 10:08 PM)TodgeRodge Wrote:  

Texas State is already ahead of north Texas state in a number of metrics that would be considered by the AAU

until 2018 Texas State was doing more total research and development than north Texas state and in 2021 Texas State still does a much greater share of federally financed research and development and Texas State does a much larger share of "restricted" (competitively awarded) research (no development included) as defined by The State of Texas than north Texas state does

the only reason the total research and development changed is because north Texas state shifted a lot of money from hiring tenure track faculty to part time faculty and put the money into self funded research (not a good long term situation for students especially undergrads)

from 2014 until 2021 (last number available) Texas State has significantly higher research expenditures per FTE

the endowment for Texas State is 334 million for north Texas state it is 276 million (neither is close to AAU metrics)

in the fall of 2021 40% of the freshman class for Texas State was in the top 25% of their HS class for north Texas stat it was 36% (neither are AAU like)

in 2021 and 2022 Texas State has a larger number of students in the freshman class in the top 10% of their Texas HS class and a larger number of students in the freshman class in the 11-25% of their Texas HS class

there is only a 1 point ACT difference between the two for freshman and 60 for the SAT and neither are close to AAU metrics

north Texas state has had a better 4 year graduation rate for the last 4 years (2019-22), but Texas State has better 5 and 6 year rates

Texas State has also aligned their degree offerings to now get a much larger amount of state appropriations er FTSE and this could continue to grow as they grow their STEM offerings and their graduate programs

neither university is close to AAU metrics, but Texas State has positioned themselves much better for the future than north Texas state has and as they get past a few things they will be in an even better position going forward especially with a new president vs. the one that did a lot of really good things for them, but had grown stale and that was always weak in private fund raising

remember this is not greenweenies.noinfo so one is free to call out the BS without mods shutting down the facts

If you're going to refer to the University of North Texas as "North Texas State," then you need to refer to Texas State as "Southwest Texas State."
05-03-2023 11:14 AM
Curtzilla Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Kyle Busch
(05-02-2023 10:08 PM)TodgeRodge Wrote:  

You know Rod, North Texas must be the Dream Police. They live inside of your head.
05-03-2023 03:44 PM
uhcoog27 Offline
1st String

I Root For: UH
(04-30-2023 12:21 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  One of the issues in Texas is that there are only 2 AAU level public schools in Texas---and both are full and difficult to get into even if you have the grades.

I agree that a state the size of Texas needs to elevate its other public universities. But A&M is not particularly difficult to get into. I believe their acceptance rate is around 65%, which falls right in line with UH and Texas Tech.
05-03-2023 04:35 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.