Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Next Year's Basketball, Losing/keeping
Bookmark and Share
hburg Offline

I Root For: James Madison
Been an impressive year for the SBC, though improvement still needed. We saw some great games, close calls, and more.

So, based on this year's roster, who is leaving or staying for sure?

What are your expectations for next season?

Will SBC see an upward trajectory?

For both WBB and MBB.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
03-06-2023 10:54 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

WARDAWG93 Offline
1st String

I Root For: ULM Warhawks
RE: Next Year's Basketball, Losing/keeping
We need to see new coaches for both men's and women's teams. Outside of that, I haven't a clue what to expect.
03-06-2023 10:57 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
hburg Offline

I know there are a lot of in the know JMU fans. But I am quite sure JMU loses 5 guys from the roster this year. Not sure if we will see the same type of team next year.

JMU has a lot to fill this coming year.

I noticed this year the SBC rating was 14, last year it was 20. Would be nice to move into the 10-12 spot.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
03-06-2023 10:58 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Bobcat87 Offline
San Marvelous Cat

I Root For: TXST, A&M, UNT
We need size . . .

Some shooters, particularly from the outside . . .

. . . and depth, depth would be nice.

Other than that, we good.
03-06-2023 11:15 PM
Eagleyed Offline
1st String

I Root For: USM
We lose Haase who along with Crowly were our best players. We also lose Pinkney. We should have a completely senior laden team with the one's coming back that played significant time being Crowley, Harris, Arnold, Ivory, and Alvarez all being Seniors. Should have a good team. At the start of the year I would have been worried about what the team would be like without Haase, but I think we will be fine. Get a couple of good players and we should be right back at it. Unlike last year we don't have to replace pretty much the entire team.
03-06-2023 11:29 PM
KickItToScotty Offline
Heisman

I Root For: JMU
The Dukes lose Vado Morse, Mezie Offurum, Takal Molson, and Alonzo Sule. Hopefully that's it, but of course you never know how the portal will go.

Terrence Edwards seems to be the guy everyone is worried about and I'd agree that makes sense with how much he's improved. One positive note, spent a lot of time with his family at the tournament and if his family's attitude towards JMU is any indication of his then it's a good sign. His grandma even said she's gonna drive up from Atlanta for a football game this year! They sure didn't seem like people whose kid is talking about considering transferring, but you never know what temptations might come along. They were the exact opposite of the attitude of Charles Cooke's family before he left, spend two seconds talking to his dad and you could tell he was probably gone.

Another thing that comes to mind is hoping that Terrell Strickland doesn't transfer to play for his dad now that he's coaching college ball. It didn't happen this year though and my gut tells me it won't.

I hope we don't see similar with our freshmen to what we saw last year, they ended up playing basically zero and then transferred out as Byington felt they weren't very good fits after all. Xavier Brown played a decent amount this year and looked great, but Brycen Blaine and Jerrell Roberson played very little. I'm hoping it's just a matter of so much depth in front of them and needing some more development rather than last year's freshmen all over again.

Guys gone: Vado Morse, Alonzo Sule, Mezie Offurum, Takal Molson.

Key guys hopefully back: Terrence Edwards, Justin Amadi, Noah Freidel, Terrell Strickland, Julien Wooden, Tyree Ihenacho, Xavier Brown.

Freshmen who hopefully develop and step in to bigger roles: Jerrell Roberson, Brycen Blaine.

Need more size and could use a star "player of the year" type, but that could very well be Edwards and I think XB could be that guy in the future as well.
(This post was last modified: 03-07-2023 12:19 AM by KickItToScotty.)
03-06-2023 11:37 PM
Advertisement

CardinalBlackTrojan Offline

I Root For: TROY
Troy has a chance to be good again. We just can't lose any starters to the portal.

Nelson Phillips returning is the big question. I believe he has an extra COVID year. He may or may not use it.

Keys for Troy:
* Keep Nelson Phillips for one more season
* Bring in one or two good PG's from the portal
* Don't lose starters or good bench players to the portal
* Bring in a power forward
03-06-2023 11:38 PM
KickItToScotty Offline
Heisman

I Root For: JMU
On the women's side we lose Caroline Germond and may lose Kiki Jefferson. Kiki has another year of eligibility but going in to senior night it was said that she's undecided between JMU and pro ball.
03-06-2023 11:41 PM
GSUALUM17 Offline
All American

I Root For: GSU
Hayes is clearing the roster except for his guys Odom, Tucker, Mann, Hudson. Expecting many transfers this cycle.
03-06-2023 11:52 PM
SlickRick12 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Ragin Cajuns
Jordan Brown is coming back!

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk
03-06-2023 11:52 PM
Duke Dawg Offline
Heisman

(03-06-2023 11:37 PM)KickItToScotty Wrote:  The Dukes lose Vado Morse, Mezie Offurum, Takal Molson, and Alonzo Sule. Hopefully that's it, but of course you never know how the portal will go.

Terrence Edwards seems to be the guy everyone is worried about and I'd agree that makes sense with how much he's improved. One positive note, spent a lot of time with his family at the tournament and if his family's attitude towards JMU is any indication of his then it's a good sign. His grandma even said she's gonna drive up from Atlanta for a football game this year! They sure didn't seem like people whose kid is talking about considering transferring, but you never know what temptations might come along. They were the exact opposite of the attitude of Charles Cooke's family before he left, spend two seconds talking to his dad and you could tell he was probably gone.

Another thing that comes to mind is hoping that Terrell Strickland doesn't transfer to play for his dad now that he's coaching college ball. It didn't happen this year though and my gut tells me it won't.

I hope we don't see similar with our freshmen to what we saw last year, they ended up playing basically zero and then transferred out as Byington felt they weren't very good fits after all. Xavier Brown played a decent amount this year and looked great, but Brycen Blaine and Jerrell Roberson played very little. I'm hoping it's just a matter of so much depth in front of them and needing some more development rather than last year's freshmen all over again.

Guys gone: Vado Morse, Alonzo Sule, Mezie Offurum, Takal Molson.

Key guys hopefully back: Terrence Edwards, Justin Amadi, Noah Freidel, Terrell Strickland, Julien Wooden, Tyree Ihenacho, Xavier Brown.

Freshmen who hopefully develop and step in to bigger roles: Jerrell Roberson, Brycen Blaine.

Need more size and could use a star "player of the year" type, but that could very well be Edwards and I think XB could be that guy in the future as well.

From what I’ve heard, By loves the portal. So I expect more 1-2 year guys coming in with our open ships, which may in turn lead to the 9th-13th guys on the roster leaving. Which will open up more spots.

I think all the key guys you mentioned above will be back. After that, who knows.
03-07-2023 07:20 AM
Advertisement

FairwayEagle Offline
1st String

I Root For: Southern Miss
(03-07-2023 07:38 AM)Eagleyed Wrote:  
(03-07-2023 07:34 AM)FairwayEagle Wrote:  
(03-06-2023 11:29 PM)Eagleyed Wrote:  We lose Haase who along with Crowly were our best players. We also lose Pinkney. We should have a completely senior laden team with the one's coming back that played significant time being Crowley, Harris, Arnold, Ivory, and Alvarez all being Seniors. Should have a good team. At the start of the year I would have been worried about what the team would be like without Haase, but I think we will be fine. Get a couple of good players and we should be right back at it. Unlike last year we don't have to replace pretty much the entire team.

We don’t lose Crowley. Maybe glance at a roster before you post a prediction for next year.

Maybe read what I wrote before making comments. I'll put it in bold for you. with the one's coming back that played significant time being Crowley, Harris, Arnold, Ivory and Alvarez.

I already took it down. My bad.
03-07-2023 07:40 AM
sdcritter Offline
All American

I Root For: stAte
There's only one person we want to lose and that's coach Mike Balado.

I suspect Ford will be courted by some NIL deals.

Ladies side Rogers strong finish means she gets more time as head coach and I'm OK with that based on the improvement I saw at the end of the season.
03-07-2023 08:02 AM
CoachMaclid Offline
All American

I Root For: Marshall
Marshall loses SBC Player of the Year Taevion Kinsey, but that is our only player that is completely out of eligibility.

At present, our lineup should be -

Andy Taylor (SBC First Team)
Kam Curfman
Jacob Conner
Obinna Anochili-Killen
Micha Handlogten (SBC Freshman of the Year)

Marshall has 2 scholarships to give (Kinsey out of eligibility, David Early left the team for personal reasons a few weeks ago). There is also some debate among Herd fans regarding the large number of scholarships at the end of our bench that really didn't contribute many meaningful minutes this season. It was sort of well known that Marshall only played 7 or 8 deep this year. I personally don't expect D'Antoni to change his style and he'll likely keep them around.

Overall, I think Marshall should be competitive again next year. It'll be the same squad except Conner for Kinsey, barring us landing an impact transfer with our scholarship that just opened.
(This post was last modified: 03-07-2023 08:35 AM by CoachMaclid.)
03-07-2023 08:34 AM
Luckyshot Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Southern Miss
(03-06-2023 11:29 PM)Eagleyed Wrote:  We lose Haase who along with Crowly were our best players. We also lose Pinkney. We should have a completely senior laden team with the one's coming back that played significant time being Crowley, Harris, Arnold, Ivory, and Alvarez all being Seniors. Should have a good team. At the start of the year I would have been worried about what the team would be like without Haase, but I think we will be fine. Get a couple of good players and we should be right back at it. Unlike last year we don't have to replace pretty much the entire team.

Losing Haase and Pinkney though, we need to bring in at least one good big man.
03-07-2023 09:12 AM
BirdofParadise Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Cajuns lose a lot: Terrance Lewis II, Greg Williams, Jr., Jalen Dalcourt and Jordan Brown. Brown has a year of eligibility left, but went through senior ceremonies. He has his degree and we just won a title. I'll be surprised if he's back.

PG Themus Fulks and his backup Michael Thomas, return. So does SG Kentrell Garnett, the best perimeter defender. F Joe Charles and C Isaiah Richards will be back as well. We have a SF who didn't play a ton, Chancellor White, who will figure prominently. Kobe Julien may return. He's about to graduate and will be a sixth year junior if he comes back.

We need to sign a big or two and a shooter. But it's gonna be hard to replace what we're losing.
03-07-2023 09:14 AM
Advertisement

TTT Offline
#SMTTT

I Root For: USM & G5

We lose all our bigs this year. We're going to need Ladner/Cardona to hit up the transfer portal for some bigs. We lose Haase, Pinckney, and Morman. Curious to see what Ladner/Cardon do this offseason because next year our tallest guy on the team will be 6'8 200 Victor Hart.
03-07-2023 09:22 AM
T-Dog Offline
SunBeltbbs App State INsider

I Root For: App State
App MBB is going to have a transition period for its depth. Eads and Littleton both left midseason. Dibaji Walker left the team near the end of the season and I'd be surprised if he's coming back, which is a blow.

Besides that, Gregory, Boykin (whose presence was missed when he was injured), Pearson and Muse are graduating.

Good news is that Brown, Mantis, Huntley, Abson and Harcum are (likely) coming back.

The main thing that MBB (IMO) needs is more of an offensive identity. It's too simplistic.

WBB was a big disappointment this past season. Inconsistent and sloppy play, despite making a lot of 3's. We lose our top player Sanders, another starter in Bigott and a couple fringe players, but most of the squad is (likely) returning. I do feel like the assistant lineup needs a hard look and perhaps some changes, since this team went from two straight winning seasons to 20 losses.
(This post was last modified: 03-07-2023 10:51 AM by T-Dog.)
03-07-2023 10:44 AM
Herd6993 Offline
2nd String

(03-07-2023 08:34 AM)CoachMaclid Wrote:  Marshall loses SBC Player of the Year Taevion Kinsey, but that is our only player that is completely out of eligibility.

At present, our lineup should be -

Andy Taylor (SBC First Team)
Kam Curfman
Jacob Conner
Obinna Anochili-Killen
Micha Handlogten (SBC Freshman of the Year)

Marshall has 2 scholarships to give (Kinsey out of eligibility, David Early left the team for personal reasons a few weeks ago). There is also some debate among Herd fans regarding the large number of scholarships at the end of our bench that really didn't contribute many meaningful minutes this season. It was sort of well known that Marshall only played 7 or 8 deep this year. I personally don't expect D'Antoni to change his style and he'll likely keep them around.

Overall, I think Marshall should be competitive again next year. It'll be the same squad except Conner for Kinsey, barring us landing an impact transfer with our scholarship that just opened.

Pretty good analysis. The biggest issue Marshall will face is keeping Taylor and Handlogten. Rumors are already out there that Tennessee is making overtures toward Taylor and some ACC schools in Handlogten.

Right now we have one scholarship as Danny has already signed a guard from Ohio, I believe. He is not even rated, but Danny loved him and said we needed to get him for other schools got on him. I hope he is smart and goes to the portal for another playmaker, but I doubt it.
03-07-2023 11:43 AM
CoachMaclid Offline
All American

The tea leaves tell me we're not going to lose Handlogten. I think he's a strong personality fit for Dan and our culture, and we're also very conveniently located for his family. I would be significantly surprised if Handlogten moved elsewhere at this point.

Taylor is the one I'm really waiting to confirm he's coming back. This would clearly be his team next year and he'd probably be in the hunt for an SBC player of the year consideration on a squad that should still win alot of games next year. I do understand there being interest in his services.
(This post was last modified: 03-07-2023 12:56 PM by CoachMaclid.)
03-07-2023 12:56 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.