Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

2023 NFL Draft
Bookmark and Share
JMURocks Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: James Madison
2023 NFL Draft
Its a little ways off (April), but noticed PAO declared for the draft today. A little crazy to think he had 6 excellent years at JMU.

How many other players do we have likely to be drafted? Have to think Centeio and others will be in the mix. Any good draft projections out there to follow?
12-21-2022 11:33 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

JMURocks Offline
Hall of Famer

RE: 2023 NFL Draft
12-21-2022 11:33 AM
Polish Hammer Offline
King of all Dukes

I Root For: Kent State/James Madison
(12-21-2022 11:33 AM)JMURocks Wrote:  Its a little ways off (April), but noticed PAO declared for the draft today. A little crazy to think he had 6 excellent years at JMU.

How many other players do we have likely to be drafted? Have to think Centeio and others will be in the mix. Any good draft projections out there to follow?
Some will get rookie camp tryouts but I doubt any get drafted. Not sure why we have these declarations for the draft when all eligibility is up. Maybe it got confusing with the Covid years and who wanted to return or move on, but I don’t recall seeing them previously unless it was for somebody leaving early.
12-21-2022 11:38 AM
JMURocks Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-21-2022 11:38 AM)Polish Hammer Wrote:  
(12-21-2022 11:33 AM)JMURocks Wrote:  Its a little ways off (April), but noticed PAO declared for the draft today. A little crazy to think he had 6 excellent years at JMU.

Some will get rookie camp tryouts but I doubt any get drafted. Not sure why we have these declarations for the draft when all eligibility is up. Maybe it got confusing with the Covid years and who wanted to return or move on, but I don’t recall seeing them previously unless it was for somebody leaving early.

Heck, its a little confusing for me who may be declaring, and who is staying or graduating and moving on. Between redshirt, 4 years undergrad, covid year, grad year, players could now be at given school between 4-7 years.
12-21-2022 12:19 PM
Polish Hammer Offline
King of all Dukes

(12-21-2022 12:19 PM)JMURocks Wrote:  

Heck, its a little confusing for me who may be declaring, and who is staying or graduating and moving on. Between redshirt, 4 years undergrad, covid year, grad year, players could now be at given school between 4-7 years.
It’s probably the excitement of the pursuit and/or being in the limelight one last time. High school kids used to announced which college they’re choosing and for the rare exceptional talent when they were leaving college for the pros while they still had eligibility. Now we get the numbering of the offers, AGTG, announce a time/date they’ll make up their mind and give a “verbal”, on signing day it’s announced again. Then they get on campus and ultimately jump into the portal, so you get that whole process all over again, once maybe even two or three times for some of these kids. And when your eligibility is all done and don’t have to formally declare for the draft, they do.

https://www.sportskeeda.com/nfl/news-how... NFL draft

PS: this was directed at the general process anymore, not at Percy as I have the utmost respect for him, what he’s accomplished and what he’s meant to the program. Expecting him to get a look from the pros and hopefully ends up in a camp somewhere because if he does he’ll certainly do what it takes to get noticed and make the team.
(This post was last modified: 12-21-2022 01:43 PM by Polish Hammer.)
12-21-2022 01:39 PM
JMURocks Offline
Hall of Famer

Centeio and Edwards boosting their Pro hopes with an appearance in the Tropical All Star bowl.

01-18-2023 12:28 PM
Advertisement

BDKJMU Offline
Heisman

None.
01-18-2023 01:17 PM
BDKJMU Offline
Heisman

(12-21-2022 12:19 PM)JMURocks Wrote:  

A grad year isn't an extra year of eligibility. Just a free transfer. A 7th year guy would be 4 seasons eligibility + regular redshirt season + medical redshirt season + extra Covid season.
01-18-2023 01:36 PM
JMaddy Offline
All American

I Root For: JMU

I am using memory so forgive me if this is a little hazy and incorrect, but i believe you need to declare for the draft to be included in the draft pool.
01-18-2023 03:21 PM
94computerguy Offline
1st String

(01-18-2023 01:17 PM)BDKJMU Wrote:  

None.

With 7 rounds (it used to be over a dozen), even that's a stretch. On the other hand, a lot of guys get picked up the day after the draft. I think if someone takes a chance on Percy, they'll be pleasantly surprised, but I doubt anyone will burn a draft pick on him. Maaaaaybe Centeio? I think he'll get signed to a practice squad somewhere pretty quick.
01-18-2023 03:28 PM
MarginalDuke Offline
1st String

(01-18-2023 03:28 PM)94computerguy Wrote:  

None.

With 7 rounds (it used to be over a dozen), even that's a stretch. On the other hand, a lot of guys get picked up the day after the draft. I think if someone takes a chance on Percy, they'll be pleasantly surprised, but I doubt anyone will burn a draft pick on him. Maaaaaybe Centeio? I think he'll get signed to a practice squad somewhere pretty quick.

I agree, Toddy and PAO have great chances to get signed but probably not drafted. I haven’t seen the distribution of picks by position but I would imagine that with today’s NFL you don’t burn too many picks on RBs because it’s a high turnover/burnout position with many good ones to backfill. I would guess Percy gets interest from a lot of teams in the UDFA.

I’m curious to see what happens to KT and TG, if teams bring them in as camp guys or if they go XFL, USFL, etc. Jamare Edwards is also a very intriguing prospect to me, great athleticism and production, wonder if NFL teams take note.
01-18-2023 03:46 PM
Advertisement

BDKJMU Offline
Heisman

(01-18-2023 03:28 PM)94computerguy Wrote:  

None.

I agree, and I should have been more clear. I don't think JMU gets anyone drafted, including PAO. Would love to be wrong, though. Should be 3 to 5 guys UDFA/in camps though.
01-18-2023 04:15 PM
Polish Hammer Offline
King of all Dukes

(01-18-2023 03:21 PM)JMaddy Wrote:  

I am using memory so forgive me if this is a little hazy and incorrect, but i believe you need to declare for the draft to be included in the draft pool.
I’ve only ever seen anything indicating an athlete with eligibility had to declare for the draft, nothing about players that have used up all eligibility. Again, I believe it might have something to do with the extra Covid year and some players forgoing that to join their normal draft class.
01-18-2023 04:33 PM
NH/JMU Saxkow Offline
1st String

(01-18-2023 04:33 PM)Polish Hammer Wrote:  

I’ve only ever seen anything indicating an athlete with eligibility had to declare for the draft, nothing about players that have used up all eligibility. Again, I believe it might have something to do with the extra Covid year and some players forgoing that to join their normal draft class.

It certainly wouldn't make sense that only players who declare can be drafted. If that were the case, the top prospects wouldn't bother with the draft and try to start a free agent bidding war once the draft was over.

More likely, declaring opens a player up to the other opportunities - like the Combine and senior bowls - with the purpose of impressing the NFL teams. For underclassmen, they can also sign with an agent. (Those without eligibility can obviously do that without declaring.)
(This post was last modified: 01-18-2023 08:44 PM by NH/JMU Saxkow.)
01-18-2023 08:44 PM
JMaddy Offline
All American

(01-18-2023 04:33 PM)Polish Hammer Wrote:  

I decided to look up the rules and you're right, college graduates and players who used up all their eligibility do not need to declare. There is a process though where the NFL validates all players (can be up to 3000) who are eligible to be drafted so maybe for a non P5 school it makes sense just to make the 'declaration' so they know to do your verification process. Sort of like how teams announce a major announcement is coming tomorrow to announce a signing when the whole world already knew it was coming but it clues in the news teams to be on the lookout.
01-18-2023 10:08 PM
JMURocks Offline
Hall of Famer

Centeio will be playing in the Collegiate Bowl, aired on NFL Network.

01-20-2023 02:25 PM
Advertisement

94computerguy Offline
1st String

(01-20-2023 02:25 PM)JMURocks Wrote:  Centeio will be playing in the Collegiate Bowl, aired on NFL Network.

I wish we had a Key & Peele guy.
01-21-2023 12:46 AM
Anders Offline
1st String

I Root For: JMU, Boston Col

Some off season drama. O’Donnell was previously listed as a QB on JMU’s roster and has since started a Sports Management group in Tampa. Why would JMU be the entity that tells Edwards that he’s invited to the bowl? Wouldn’t the bowl reach out to him personally? I have no details behind any of this but interesting if true.
(This post was last modified: 01-21-2023 01:30 PM by Anders.)
01-21-2023 01:16 PM
JMU85 Offline
All American

I Root For: The Dukes of JMU
(01-21-2023 01:16 PM)Anders Wrote:  

Some off season drama. O’Donnell was previously listed as a QB on JMU’s roster and has since started a Sports Management group in Tampa. Why would JMU be the entity that tells Edwards that he’s invited to the bowl? Wouldn’t the bowl reach out to him personally? I have no details behind any of this but interesting if true.
Great question. I am assuming that Edwards is no longer on campus and not sure how JMU is responsible for his professional career.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk
01-21-2023 02:15 PM
Polish Hammer Offline
King of all Dukes

(01-21-2023 01:16 PM)Anders Wrote:  

Shouldn’t this “agent” and his “sports management” group be coordinating all of that, letting the kid and the school know he’s been invited and ensuring he had everything properly lined up.
(This post was last modified: 01-21-2023 02:44 PM by Polish Hammer.)
01-21-2023 02:42 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.