Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Yormark is yormarkin'
PeteTheChop Online
Here rests the ACC: 1953-2026

I Root For: C-A-N-E-S
Yormark is yormarkin'
The Big XII commissioner spreading his gospel in Waco:

"I'm gonna be very transparent and open and honest in my desires to go national, to expand — and I've done that. The rational behind it is that I aspire for this conference to be truly national. From a geographic standpoint, we need to have fans and institutions spread across this great country, from east to west. In addition, I want to provide scheduling opportunities and flexibility for our media partners so we are in every time zone ... We bring in four new schools (BYU, Cincinnati, Houston and UCF) and go from five states to eight states. We go from 40 million people in our geographic footprint to 75 million, so we are truly on our way to becoming national — but I want more."

Thoughts?

Here comes Yappy!
(This post was last modified: 10-26-2022 08:42 AM by PeteTheChop.)
10-26-2022 08:40 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

esayem Offline
Hark The Sound!

I Root For: Olde Ironclad
RE: Yormark is yormarkin'
Ah, the original C-USA Virus has now infected the Big XII. We've seen it mutate and matriculate from C-USA to the Big East—it killed its host almost immediately—to the Aresco strain in the AAC. Now it seems to be in its Yormark phase in the Big XII. Keen eyes of science, pay attention!
10-26-2022 09:00 AM
ArmoredUpKnight Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF Knights
He's going to say that every time he has media availability.

He's visiting UCF today, will probably get asked about realignment again. Will probably give the same answer again.

At least he's consistent.

(This post was last modified: 10-26-2022 09:38 AM by ArmoredUpKnight.)
10-26-2022 09:06 AM
BeatWestern! Offline
All American

I Root For: Central Michigan
He definitely has his talking points memorized!
10-26-2022 09:12 AM
Claw Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
(10-26-2022 09:00 AM)esayem Wrote:  Ah, the original C-USA Virus has now infected the Big XII. We've seen it mutate and matriculate from C-USA to the Big East—it killed its host almost immediately—to the Aresco strain in the AAC. Now it seems to be in its Yormark phase in the Big XII. Keen eyes of science, pay attention!

Exactly. It doesn't bode well.
10-26-2022 09:36 AM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
IMO, when you have lemons, you try to make lemonade - but you call it something even more delicious, like Hawaiian Punch.

IMO, the Big 12 wishes that USC/UCLA had left for the B1G at the same time as TX and OU left for the SEC. If that had happened, I don't think they add UCF/Houston/Cincy - maybe Houston for the history and geography, but not the others. They wait and try to get the four-corners schools from the PAC. Schools that are closer geographically and culturally. Not "national".

But it didn't happen that way, meaning they are stuck with those three schools, which by definition makes them a "national" conference. When your conference stretches from Lubbock to Ames to Orlando to Morgantown, that is pretty darn national.

So since you are stuck with that, you work that angle, which in this case means yeah, hoping the four corners schools want to come too.
(This post was last modified: 10-26-2022 09:48 AM by quo vadis.)
10-26-2022 09:44 AM
Advertisement

Huan Offline
1st String

I Root For: TTU, USA,
(10-26-2022 09:44 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  IMO, when you have lemons, you try to make lemonade - but you call it something even more delicious, like Hawaiian Punch.

IMO, the Big 12 wishes that USC/UCLA had left for the B1G at the same time as TX and OU left for the SEC. If that had happened, I don't think they add UCF/Houston/Cincy, they wait and try to get the four-corners schools from the PAC. Schools that are closer geographically and culturally. Not "national".

But it didn't happen that way, meaning they are stuck with those three schools, which by definition makes them a "national" conference. When your conference stretches from Lubbock to Ames to Orlando to Morgantown, that is pretty darn national.

So since you are stuck with that, you work that angle, which in this case means yeah, hoping the four corners schools want to come too.

they were good adds as competitive programs and good markets. the r8 were largely in low population centers with limited market reach. the saving grace of the big 12 was a strong presence in texas.

i think the n4 are better than the c4
(This post was last modified: 10-26-2022 09:54 AM by Huan.)
10-26-2022 09:50 AM
bryanw1995 Offline
+12 Hackmaster

I Root For: A&M
(10-26-2022 09:00 AM)esayem Wrote:  Ah, the original C-USA Virus has now infected the Big XII. We've seen it mutate and matriculate from C-USA to the Big East—it killed its host almost immediately—to the Aresco strain in the AAC. Now it seems to be in its Yormark phase in the Big XII. Keen eyes of science, pay attention!

C-USA and the Big East didn't have $30m media rights deals though, they were more like 1/10th of that (or I presume even less for the original C-USA).

I listened to his entire interview on sic'em yesterday and thought it was good, though I would say that he's less optimistic today about getting a deal done soon than he was a few days ago.
10-26-2022 09:51 AM
esayem Offline
Hark The Sound!

(10-26-2022 09:51 AM)bryanw1995 Wrote:  

C-USA and the Big East didn't have $30m media rights deals though, they were more like 1/10th of that (or I presume even less for the original C-USA).

I listened to his entire interview on sic'em yesterday and thought it was good, though I would say that he's less optimistic today about getting a deal done soon than he was a few days ago.

The Big XII doesn't have a "$30m media" deal either. Regardless, not sure what that has to do with my statement WHATSOEVER. It's the same old same old "national conference" crap that infects those looking right outside the main movers and shakers.
10-26-2022 10:00 AM
PeteTheChop Online
Here rests the ACC: 1953-2026

I Root For: C-A-N-E-S
(10-26-2022 09:44 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  IMO, when you have lemons, you try to make lemonade - but you call it something even more delicious, like Hawaiian Punch.

IMO, the Big 12 wishes that USC/UCLA had left for the B1G at the same time as TX and OU left for the SEC. If that had happened, I don't think they add UCF/Houston/Cincy - maybe Houston for the history and geography, but not the others. They wait and try to get the four-corners schools from the PAC. Schools that are closer geographically and culturally. Not "national".

On the contrary, Yappy has his eyes set on rebranding the Big XII as "The National" by absorbing "leftovers" from a gutted Pac-12 and carved up ACC once the B1G and SEC are done.

Just like Warren/Delany and Sankey, Yormark is looking down the road at what his conference can be when the dust settles.
10-26-2022 10:03 AM
Frank the Tank Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul

I think it's the opposite - if the Big Ten and SEC moves had happened at the same time last year, the Pac-12 wouldn't have hemmed and hawed about adding the likes of Texas Tech/Oklahoma State/etc. and instead got it done immediately. In a world where everyone is a free agent, the Pac-12 simply has more valuable brands. Since the Pac-12 didn't strike when it was able to do so a year ago, they're in a much weaker position today as a result of the Big 12 solidifying itself. Granted, the reason why the Pac-12 didn't strike a year ago was because most valuable schools like USC didn't want to see it happen (just as Texas didn't want to expand the Big 12 in the mid-2010s).

That's the inherent imbalance that we saw in the Big 12 for years and now in the Pac-12 - expansion can protect the most vulnerable members in the long term (even if it's simply a matter of safety in numbers), but the most valuable members don't want it unless it's a no-brainer perfect addition that ticks off every box.
10-26-2022 10:04 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

bryanw1995 Offline
+12 Hackmaster

I Root For: A&M
(10-26-2022 10:00 AM)esayem Wrote:  

The Big XII doesn't have a "$30m media" deal either. Regardless, not sure what that has to do with my statement WHATSOEVER. It's the same old same old "national conference" crap that infects those looking right outside the main movers and shakers.

Clearly there is a money threshold, beyond which you achieve stability as a "national conference". $2m doesn't get you there. $75m does, assuming the B1G knows what they're doing. $30m is pretty close to the median of those 2. And Cincy, UCF, BYU, and WV clearly think that it's enough to convince them to travel a lot more.

The big 12 doesn't have a "$30m media" deal? Technically, they have a much greater than $30m media for a couple more years, and if they don't sign a new deal until their early window opens in 16 months they'll still be in great shape. By several accounts, they're close to $30m on a 3 years early renegotiation in which the networks have every reason to lowball them.
(This post was last modified: 10-26-2022 10:14 AM by bryanw1995.)
10-26-2022 10:12 AM
goodknightfl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
(10-26-2022 09:50 AM)Huan Wrote:  

IMO, the Big 12 wishes that USC/UCLA had left for the B1G at the same time as TX and OU left for the SEC. If that had happened, I don't think they add UCF/Houston/Cincy, they wait and try to get the four-corners schools from the PAC. Schools that are closer geographically and culturally. Not "national".

they were good adds as competitive programs and good markets. the r8 were largely in low population centers with limited market reach. the saving grace of the big 12 was a strong presence in texas.

i think the n4 are better than the c4

I think the upside is higher, not sure about the better.
10-26-2022 10:33 AM
Carolina_Low_Country Offline
1st String

I Root For: Go Pirates
Big 12 needs to go to 16 (even if the four new members take a lesser cut).
ECU, Memphis, USF, and Temple are four large private schools that bring large population metros and states and fit the foot print for the eastern side of the conference.
The difference between the Big 12 and CUSA/AAC is getting rid of the small private schools like Tulane, Tulsa, SMU, rice and having large public/private schools (except for TCU which I would consider a small private school but they have good fan support).

WEST
BYU
Oklahoma State
Kansas
Kansas State

SOUTH
Texas Tech
TCU
Baylor
Houston

NORTH
Iowa State
Cincinnati
West Virginia
Temple

EAST
Memphis
East Carolina
UCF
USF
(This post was last modified: 10-26-2022 10:40 AM by Carolina_Low_Country.)
10-26-2022 10:36 AM
Mav Offline
1st String

I Root For: Omaha
The one constant I can think of between all of this is Cincinnati. Is Cincy the real conference killer? 05-stirthepot
10-26-2022 10:48 AM
BruceMcF Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Reds/Buckeyes/.
(10-26-2022 10:12 AM)bryanw1995 Wrote:  Clearly there is a money threshold, beyond which you achieve stability as a "national conference". $2m doesn't get you there. $75m does, assuming the B1G knows what they're doing. $30m is pretty close to the median of those 2. And Cincy, UCF, BYU, and WV clearly think that it's enough to convince them to travel a lot more. ...

Anything from $3m to $74m if added to that list would be the median of those two -- the median is the middle position of a sorted list.

Technically, the median and mean of a two member list are the same, because for an even number of members, the median is the mean of the two "middle" members. But that just says you don't start using medians until there are at least three members in the list.

The mean of those two is $38.5m.

But to be fair, the CFP money at present would bring the total distribution closer to the mean of the total distribution of CUSA and the Big Ten, and if the CFP12 allows the three Major Powers well over half as much as the two Superpowers receive, the CFP12 payout would have a similar impact.
(This post was last modified: 10-26-2022 11:25 AM by BruceMcF.)
10-26-2022 11:23 AM
Advertisement

esayem Offline
Hark The Sound!

(10-26-2022 10:12 AM)bryanw1995 Wrote:  
(10-26-2022 10:00 AM)esayem Wrote:  

Clearly there is a money threshold, beyond which you achieve stability as a "national conference". $2m doesn't get you there. $75m does, assuming the B1G knows what they're doing. $30m is pretty close to the median of those 2. And Cincy, UCF, BYU, and WV clearly think that it's enough to convince them to travel a lot more.

The big 12 doesn't have a "$30m media" deal? Technically, they have a much greater than $30m media for a couple more years, and if they don't sign a new deal until their early window opens in 16 months they'll still be in great shape. By several accounts, they're close to $30m on a 3 years early renegotiation in which the networks have every reason to lowball them.

This is another one of your useless attempts to argue an opinion. Did you do the research on inflation based on the year? How about the increasing value of live sports, diversity of broadcasts?

Stop being a clown and take it for what it is: this is the same old tired dialogue that’s been going on since the 90’s.
10-26-2022 11:26 AM
esayem Offline
Hark The Sound!

(10-26-2022 10:03 AM)PeteTheChop Wrote:  

On the contrary, Yappy has his eyes set on rebranding the Big XII as "The National" by absorbing "leftovers" from a gutted Pac-12 and carved up ACC once the B1G and SEC are done.

Just like Warren/Delany and Sankey, Yormark is looking down the road at what his conference can be when the dust settles.

Yappy gon’ be retired by the time any of that can realistically happen.
10-26-2022 11:29 AM
thespywhozaggedme Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Boise State

Matriculate?

matriculate verb
ma·​tric·​u·​late | \ mə-ˈtri-kyə-ˌlāt \
matriculated; matriculating
Definition of matriculate
transitive verb
: to enroll as a member of a body and especially of a college or university
intransitive verb
: to be enrolled at a college or university
She matriculated at the state university.
10-26-2022 11:34 AM
esayem Offline
Hark The Sound!

(10-26-2022 11:34 AM)thespywhozaggedme Wrote:  

Matriculate?

matriculate verb
ma·​tric·​u·​late | \ mə-ˈtri-kyə-ˌlāt \
matriculated; matriculating
Definition of matriculate
transitive verb
: to enroll as a member of a body and especially of a college or university
intransitive verb
: to be enrolled at a college or university
She matriculated at the state university.

-23??

Ever bend the English language to the will of your ink pen, er computer keyboard?
10-26-2022 11:54 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.