Sun Belt showing off in Times Square
09-16-2022 08:51 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Panarican Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Georgia Southern U
RE: Sun Belt showing off in Times Square
Pretty Cool. Is there a reason why we are in NYC (other than being awesome)?
09-16-2022 08:53 AM
Saint3333 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: App State
Strange use of advertising dollars. Unless it's much cheaper, could be based upon the state of times square the couple of times I've walked past this year.
09-16-2022 08:57 AM
RamblinRedWolf Offline
All American

I Root For: Arkansas State
It’ll definitely get clicks that’s for sure

I think it’s pretty cool
09-16-2022 09:02 AM
JMad03 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: James Madison
That's pretty darn cool.
The Sun Belt certainly isn't coasting, it's speeding up.
Not all advertising on Times Square is the same. There's so much to see, it can get swallowed up by all the other advertisements.
Looks like they have a good location and the advertisement looks good and will stand out.
No idea if that will translate into more fans, but that at least shows they are willing to invest.
09-16-2022 09:05 AM
GreenDaddy Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Marshall
I like it! There is nothing wrong with the league trying to capitalize on our big weekend.
09-16-2022 09:06 AM
Advertisement

CardinalBlackTrojan Offline

I Root For: TROY
The marketing and branding campaign by the SBC the past couple of years has been insane.
09-16-2022 09:07 AM
Michael in Raleigh Offline
All American

Only a small percentage of New Yorkers care about CFB.

However, because of the sheer massive volume of people in NYC, with alumni from everywhere in the country, that small percentage still adds up to a large number of fans. Allegedly, there are bars for all the biggest programs scattered about town.

I would have to dig for some time to find the study, but IIRC, only Birmingham has more dedicated FB fans than NYC does.

This is partly why the B1G added Rutgers. There are not tons of Rutgers fans in the metro (except like in 2006 when Rutgers was winning a lot), but overall there are enough B1G fans to create the demand for local BTN carriage there.

All that to say, Times Square is the most viewed "billboard" I can think of in the USA, and there is enough audience for CFB that the SBC saw an opportunity to turn some heads.

Clearly, the SBC is capitalizing on the moment and putting there name out there wherever they can. I like it.
09-16-2022 09:14 AM
Michael in Raleigh Offline
All American

(09-16-2022 09:07 AM)CardinalBlackTrojan Wrote:  The marketing and branding campaign by the SBC the past couple of years has been insane.

I think there are doing it very well. The videos and presentation are done clearly by professionals. They are also doing it without looking insecure and without a clownshow "P6"-like campaign.
09-16-2022 09:17 AM
slycat Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Texas State
(09-16-2022 09:14 AM)Michael in Raleigh Wrote:  Only a small percentage of New Yorkers care about CFB.

However, because of the sheer massive volume of people in NYC, with alumni from everywhere in the country, that small percentage still adds up to a large number of fans. Allegedly, there are bars for all the biggest programs scattered about town.

I would have to dig for some time to find the study, but IIRC, only Birmingham has more dedicated FB fans than NYC does.

This is partly why the B1G added Rutgers. There are not tons of Rutgers fans in the metro (except like in 2006 when Rutgers was winning a lot), but overall there are enough B1G fans to create the demand for local BTN carriage there.

All that to say, Times Square is the most viewed "billboard" I can think of in the USA, and there is enough audience for CFB that the SBC saw an opportunity to turn some heads.

Clearly, the SBC is capitalizing on the moment and putting there name out there wherever they can. I like it.

The good news is NYers don't care about Times Square. It is a tourist trap so they are getting people from all over to see the ads.
09-16-2022 09:19 AM
slycat Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Texas State
(This post was last modified: 09-16-2022 09:21 AM by slycat.)
09-16-2022 09:21 AM
Advertisement

Complacent Cajun Offline
1st String

I Root For: Louisiana
(09-16-2022 08:57 AM)Saint3333 Wrote:  Strange use of advertising dollars. Unless it's much cheaper, could be based upon the state of times square the couple of times I've walked past this year.

Fine use of advertising dollars, considering you get double duty when you spread it on social media. College Gameday might even flash it on national TV.
09-16-2022 09:31 AM
FairwayEagle Offline
1st String

I Root For: Southern Miss
It’s great and very refreshing for three of us.
09-16-2022 09:59 AM
WARDAWG93 Offline
1st String

I Root For: ULM Warhawks
I think it's a fantastic idea to advertise up there. NY is the media capital of the country and name/brand exposure is paramount to our continued success. While our conference is regional, we are garnering and developing national interest. Our collective storylines, etc. are entertaining and exciting to fans across the country.
09-16-2022 10:00 AM
JMad03 Offline
Heisman

Side note, CUSA put a posterboard sign up in a cul-de-sac in Idaho. Still awaiting photo evidence.
09-16-2022 10:01 AM
iStoopify Offline
Special Teams

This feels like a waste of money to me... nobody in NYC is going to watch sun belt football because they saw an ad on a billboard. Use this money for advertising in SEC and ACC country.
09-16-2022 10:19 AM
Advertisement

chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
(09-16-2022 10:19 AM)iStoopify Wrote:  This feels like a waste of money to me... nobody in NYC is going to watch sun belt football because they saw an ad on a billboard. Use this money for advertising in SEC and ACC country.

SBC is attempting to grow its National brand. Its honestly a little harder to advertise in SEC and ACC Country because we're asking people up there to make the SBC their 2nd favorite league

Many of the Football fans in the Northeast don't necessarily have a local team to support.
09-16-2022 10:25 AM
hburg Offline

Sun Belt showing off in Times Square
JMU is typically a known school in that area, a lot of alumni in that region.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
(This post was last modified: 09-16-2022 10:38 AM by hburg.)
09-16-2022 10:28 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
KRT8871 Offline
Bench Warmer

(09-16-2022 10:01 AM)JMad03 Wrote:  Side note, CUSA put a posterboard sign up in a cul-de-sac in Idaho. Still awaiting photo evidence.

There's also that crazy guy on Twitter who got banned here who loves C-USA and hates the Sun Belt, especially Southern Miss and Marshall.
09-16-2022 10:39 AM
CoachMaclid Offline
All American

This basically the same thing that Oregon did oh so many years ago to boost Joey Harrington's Heisman campaign by putting his picture up all over Times Square and getting talked about. I suspect with ABC having a studio there in Times Square that these scenes will 99.9% make an appearance on College GameDay tomorrow. If that happens, then this was advertising spent to further elevate the Sun Belt discussion.
09-16-2022 10:41 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.