Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Penny in trouble?
C2__ Offline
Caltex2

I Root For: Houston, PVAMU
Penny in trouble?
Memphis is underachieving again, how much slack does he get before they pull the plug?
12-02-2021 01:15 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

UAB Band Dad Offline
Occasionally Reasonable

I Root For: A Free UAB!
BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
RE: Penny in trouble?
Did you see his post game interview? He rolled his team way up under the bus. Lots of pointed responses in answer.

https://twitter.com/mgiannotto/status/14...2522981382

Mark Giannotto
@mgiannotto

Penny: "There aren’t enough guys in that locker room who care about winning unless they are the ones that are helping us win. It’s not team. That’s the danger of having a lot of talent. The talent has to want to play together & right now the talent doesn’t want to play together."
12-02-2021 01:19 AM
TeleCoog Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:
(12-02-2021 01:19 AM)UAB Band Dad Wrote:  Did you see his post game interview? He rolled his team way up under the bus. Lots of pointed responses in answer.

https://twitter.com/mgiannotto/status/14...2522981382

Mark Giannotto
@mgiannotto

Penny: "There aren’t enough guys in that locker room who care about winning unless they are the ones that are helping us win. It’s not team. That’s the danger of having a lot of talent. The talent has to want to play together & right now the talent doesn’t want to play together."

The Talent are not amused!
12-02-2021 05:04 AM
owl at the moon Offline
Eastern Screech Owl

I Root For: rice,smu,uh,unt
Penny in trouble?
Well that’s one way to motivate…

Probably exactly what he needed to say.

Whether it should be kept in the room or not is another question

Seeing this quote tells me the problem has been recognized and acknowledged. More likely to me that Memphis gets head right with ball than it all falls apart.
12-02-2021 06:10 AM
TripleA Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

Memphis Hall of Fame
(12-02-2021 06:10 AM)owl at the moon Wrote:  Well that’s one way to motivate…

Seeing this quote tells me the problem has been recognized and acknowledged. More likely to me that Memphis gets head right with ball than it all falls apart.

Behind the scenes, it supposedly seems to be a holy mess right now. We'll see. I don't have high hopes for a quick recovery. At the moment, we are dysfunctional.

Penny is blaming everybody but himself.
12-02-2021 11:10 AM
rath v2.0 Offline
Wartime Consigliere

I Root For: Civil Disobedience

Donators
Penny’s not in trouble. He’s just a bad game coach. He comes by it honestly. His college coach Larry Finch had the same knock. Roll the ball out and beat teams because you have better players.
12-02-2021 12:09 PM
Advertisement

Attackcoog Online

I Root For: Houston
(12-02-2021 11:10 AM)TripleA Wrote:  
(12-02-2021 06:10 AM)owl at the moon Wrote:  Well that’s one way to motivate…

Behind the scenes, it supposedly seems to be a holy mess right now. We'll see. I don't have high hopes for a quick recovery. At the moment, we are dysfunctional.

Penny is blaming everybody but himself.

Thats one thing that has always impressed me about Sampson. He has only recently begun attracting really highly rated recruiting classes. Up until now, he's always recruited a certain type of athlete that fit his system and apparently---he's very good at finding guys that have the right mental attitude to flourish in his system with his brand of tough coaching. He's starting to get some very high rated recruits of late and Im really curious if this high end talent will be transferring shortly once they realize the kind of tough practices and hard nose defense Sampson requires of his players. If you dont want to work as hard on defense as offense---dont expect to get playing time. That said---Sampson has no problem telling talented players "my way or the highway". Everyone thought Houston was done for when the very talented Kaleb Mills left the program mid-year----it turned out it didnt matter at all as Houston went on a final four run without Mills.

Penny has no trouble projecting and recruiting talent---I think what Penny is still learning is how to identify talent that has the kind of coachable attitude that will allow him to build a true team. Whats happening now might actually be a good sign when it comes to Penny's development as a coach.
(This post was last modified: 12-02-2021 12:15 PM by Attackcoog.)
12-02-2021 12:09 PM
b2b Offline
Heisman

I Root For: My Family + ECU
(12-02-2021 12:09 PM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  Penny’s not in trouble. He’s just a bad game coach. He comes by it honestly. His college coach Larry Finch had the same knock. Roll the ball out and beat teams because you have better players.

Been saying this for a few years now. Memphis fans just can't accept it.

and yeah.... go ahead Memphis fans and take shots at ECU basketball.
12-02-2021 12:25 PM
vcoog Offline
All American

I Root For: UH
Team needs leadership I don’t think they’re getting it from penny. But there’s so much potential I think by January leaders start stepping up and fixing the chaos where Memphis becomes a threat. Just sucks they are losing to **** teams right now which will put them on the bubble later on and make the games vs houston essential for them.
12-02-2021 12:28 PM
Agust Offline
1st String

I Root For: Houston
Memphis will not get rid of penny as long as the recruits and the sell outs continue.

To me he is ok just going through a rough spot.
12-02-2021 02:10 PM
TripleA Offline
Legend

Memphis Hall of Fame
(12-02-2021 12:09 PM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  Penny’s not in trouble. He’s just a bad game coach. He comes by it honestly. His college coach Larry Finch had the same knock. Roll the ball out and beat teams because you have better players.

Really, you think Penny just rolled the ball out and accidentally got the #1 defense in the country 2 years in a row?

Do you think Larry Brown, who was tasked with developing the offense at Memphis, just rolled the ball out, too?

No, the problem is figuring out how to get elite players to play together as a team, rather than, when things go wrong, reverting to hero basketball.

Hell, when we got behind last night, our players abandoned the defense they had been using successfully for 2 seasons. Who the hell knows what they were thinking? They certainly weren't coached by the staff to do that.

And when they forgot how to run Brown's offense, or didn't understand it, they tried to win it one on one, which doesn't work.

That's all still on Penny, but that's way different than just recruiting and rolling out the ball. The defense Penny taught has worked great for 2 years, the players simply panicked last night when they got behind.

As for the O, I think the scheme they were trying to run was too complicated, with too many reads. Penny simplified it last year, and we went on a long run, just a little too late. He tried that scheme again last night. It reduced our turnovers by half, and we scored 79 rather than in the 60s, but we still didn't run it well, and had spells where we couldn't hit jack, b/c we went back to hero ball.

But our D lost the game last night, not the offense.
(This post was last modified: 12-02-2021 02:24 PM by TripleA.)
12-02-2021 02:18 PM
Advertisement

rath v2.0 Offline
Wartime Consigliere

I Root For: Civil Disobedience

Donators
Multiple years in, I think he’s one of the worst in game coaches in the AAC. He’s also the best recruiter which hides it often enough.
12-02-2021 02:20 PM
TripleA Offline
Legend

Memphis Hall of Fame
(12-02-2021 02:20 PM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  Multiple years in, I think he’s one of the worst in game coaches in the AAC. He’s also the best recruiter which hides it often enough.

I think that's fair based on results so far, although I don't think in game coaching is a critical factor.

Coaching is about recruiting, and then about getting talented players to do what you want them to do. That happens in practice, not in games. Then, it's too late.

Penny is great at recruiting, and sure as hell hasn't figured out the second part yet. He better, or it's going to screw up his recruiting, too.
12-02-2021 05:21 PM
panama Offline
Legend

I Root For: Georgia STATE
Penny in trouble?
Reading this thread I was sure I was going to go to Wikipedia and see that he had a losing record or even a couple losing seasons at Memphis.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
12-02-2021 08:44 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
GoDownSwinging Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Memphis
Is Penny in trouble? No. If Penny Hardaway changed his name to John Smith, would he be in trouble? Absolutely. Penny knows that and he's getting a pass.
12-02-2021 08:52 PM
owl at the moon Offline
Eastern Screech Owl

I Root For: rice,smu,uh,unt
Penny in trouble?
(12-02-2021 12:25 PM)b2b Wrote:  

Been saying this for a few years now. Memphis fans just can't accept it.

and yeah.... go ahead Memphis fans and take shots at ECU basketball.

ECU Basketball sucks, they’re worse than Rice and Rice is the worst team with a positive KenPom AdjEM in the country!!!
[Image: 6886db228b463872192593dcc4de5bd9.jpg]
12-02-2021 09:14 PM
Advertisement

ShockerFever Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Wichita State
(12-02-2021 08:44 PM)panama Wrote:  Reading this thread I was sure I was going to go to Wikipedia and see that he had a losing record or even a couple losing seasons at Memphis.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

You must’ve skimmed through the thousands of posts over the last 4 years the proclaimed the AAC was gonna be Memphis’s ***** and the national titles that were gonna start rolling in.
12-02-2021 09:21 PM
Bear Catlett Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC
I'd fire him simply for Quinones' shorts.
12-03-2021 06:12 AM
BrooklynRocket Offline
1st String

I Root For: Cardozo HS
Rodney Carney was the coldest Memphis player of all time!
12-03-2021 07:17 AM
chess Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ECU & Nebraska
Can Penny get a quality assistant to help with game management?
12-03-2021 07:51 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.