UAB Blazers

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Legion FC and UAB to End Stadium Lease Agreement
BlazerGreen Offline
All American

I Root For: UAB, Goals

Quote:BIRMINGHAM, AL (Nov. 5, 2021) – Following today’s vote of approval for early termination by the University of Alabama System Board of Trustees, Legion FC and the University of Alabama at Birmingham will end the lease agreement for the club’s use of PNC Field (formerly BBVA Field) following the conclusion of the 2021 USL Championship playoffs.

“We would like to thank the University of Alabama System Board of Trustees, the University of Alabama at Birmingham, UAB President Ray L. Watts, and UAB Director of Athletics Mark Ingram, for the critical role the university played in helping launch Legion FC,” said Legion FC President and General Manager Jay Heaps. “We are excited for our first home playoff game on campus at PNC Field this Sunday and look forward to continuing our existing partnerships within UAB.”

UAB Senior Vice President of Finance and Administration Brian Burnett says UAB appreciates what its partnership with Legion FC has done for the club, the university and the city.

“We have been proud to partner with Legion FC in its efforts to launch an exciting brand of professional soccer in Birmingham,” Burnett said. “The relationship has been mutually beneficial with both Legion FC and UAB Athletics working together to enhance facilities for a great gameday experience for athletes and fans, as well as for the everyday use of UAB athletes and our campus. We look forward to an exciting future for UAB and our soccer teams at PNC Field and wish Legion FC all the best in what is next for them.”

Legion FC will play all upcoming, home 2021 USL Championship playoff games at PNC Field (formerly BBVA Field), including the club’s first-ever home playoff game versus Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC this Sunday, Nov. 7, at 4:00 p.m.

“With regards to Legion FC’s home venue for the 2022 season and beyond, we will make that announcement at the appropriate time once an agreement can be finalized,” said Heaps. “At this moment, our focus is on the players and on the 2021 USL Championship playoffs.”

The University of Alabama System Board of Trustees approved changing the name of BBVA Field to PNC Field on Nov. 5, 2021, in recognition of PNC’s acquisition of BBVA.
11-05-2021 01:36 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

GreenFreakUAB Offline
All American

I Root For: UAB
RE: Legion FC and UAB to End Stadium Lease Agreement
...Soooooooooo... ...moving to Protective?
11-05-2021 01:39 PM
BlazerGreen Offline
All American

(11-05-2021 01:39 PM)GreenFreakUAB Wrote:  ...Soooooooooo... ...moving to Protective?

Very likely. Goodman mentions that in his story about the Legion today.

Quote:Birmingham Legion FC is an independent, locally owned professional sports franchise in the USL Championship that has built a title contender from scratch, and the club’s footprint in Birmingham has grown steadily over the past three years. This year, they added an academy team. Next year, they’re planning a move to Protective Stadium.
11-05-2021 01:43 PM
hooverblazer Offline
Promoter of UAB

Protective seems way too big for them at the moment. Better atmosphere at PNC Field, but I imagine they're making the move over the playing field conditions.
11-05-2021 01:53 PM
mrchance33 Online
1st String

I like going to legion games and think a move to protective is a mistake. It feels empty enough with the crowds UAB has been getting. I can't imagine how empty it will feel for Legion.
11-05-2021 02:03 PM
Blazer Engineer Offline
Skull Splitter

whats the facts behind the field conditions?
11-05-2021 02:16 PM
Advertisement

JSUBlazer Away
Water Engineer

I Root For: Chaos
(11-05-2021 02:03 PM)mrchance33 Wrote:  I like going to legion games and think a move to protective is a mistake. It feels empty enough with the crowds UAB has been getting. I can't imagine how empty it will feel for Legion.

Protective will have better seating for everyone and I assume they will take better care of the field than UAB has been taking care of BBVA. I live two blocks from the stadium and will miss walking to the game, though.
11-05-2021 02:18 PM
JSUBlazer Away
Water Engineer

(11-05-2021 02:16 PM)Blazer Engineer Wrote:  whats the facts behind the field conditions?

UAB let the field turn to absolute crap when they changed the grass out and didn't even bother to tell anyone, apparently. There was dead grass, holes, and sand everywhere. Legion publicly called UAB out and played the next game at Legion Field. The field has also been unplayable anytime it rains.
(This post was last modified: 11-05-2021 02:21 PM by JSUBlazer.)
11-05-2021 02:21 PM
C-Finder Offline
All American

(11-05-2021 02:21 PM)JSUBlazer Wrote:  
(11-05-2021 02:16 PM)Blazer Engineer Wrote:  whats the facts behind the field conditions?

UAB let the field turn to absolute crap when they changed the grass out and didn't even bother to tell anyone, apparently. There was dead grass, holes, and sand everywhere. Legion publicly called UAB out and played the next game at Legion Field. The field has also been unplayable anytime it rains.

[Image: welp-there-you-go.gif]
Can't blame Legion FC
11-05-2021 02:58 PM
blazerwkr Offline
Heisman

BlazerTalk Award
(11-05-2021 02:21 PM)JSUBlazer Wrote:  

Yes noticed that as well on TV games (didn't go to any games this year) but saw many bald/sandy spots during the whole season especially early in the season
11-05-2021 03:04 PM
UABOG85 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: U.a.B
UAB should have prepared better for there being 4 teams playing on the field at the same time but kind of dropped the ball. Oh well live and learn and our college teams will still have one of the nicest stadiums to play in.
11-05-2021 03:07 PM
Advertisement

BAMANBLAZERFAN Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB & Bama

BlazerTalk Award
Does this mean that UAB will lose the naming rights money the campus field generated?
11-05-2021 03:14 PM
JSUBlazer Away
Water Engineer

They just changed the name from BBVA to PNC today. The World Games is having Lacrosse there next year. I guess that partnership is still in place.
11-05-2021 03:26 PM
demiveeman Offline
Heisman

BlazerTalk Award
Who didn't see this coming?
11-05-2021 03:50 PM
Plaid Blazer Offline
Bench Warmer

Still overall a great deal for UAB athletics. Got Legion to pay for a good bit of that stadium.
11-05-2021 03:52 PM
demiveeman Offline
Heisman

BlazerTalk Award
(11-05-2021 03:52 PM)Plaid Blazer Wrote:  Still overall a great deal for UAB athletics. Got Legion to pay for a good bit of that stadium.

It's bad business.
11-05-2021 03:54 PM
Advertisement

BlazinBham Offline
Banned

Next time you play on a grass field, don’t scrimmage there the night before the opening weekend nor after 3 days of heavy rain.

Speaking of, things aren’t going well with our own program. Fix the field issue and find another coach.
(This post was last modified: 11-05-2021 04:06 PM by BlazinBham.)
11-05-2021 04:04 PM
Engblazr Offline
Special Teams

Does the USL require actual grass, or is manufactured turf acceptable? Protective isn’t real grass like “PNC” Stadium
11-05-2021 04:57 PM
UABOG85 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: U.a.B
(11-05-2021 04:57 PM)Engblazr Wrote:  Does the USL require actual grass, or is manufactured turf acceptable? Protective isn’t real grass like “PNC” Stadium

It is not required. Only the US national teams require real grass.
11-05-2021 05:03 PM
BlazerGreen Offline
All American

UAB men's soccer lost at Charlotte Saturday 3-0 to end their season. The Blazers finish 2-12-1 overall, 0-7-1 in C-USA. We have not made the C-USA tournament since 2015.

Tough to see for this old UAB soccer fan. We climbed so far, finally got nice facilities, and then the bottom dropped out. The UAB soccer ladies seem to be improving but it's hard to see any on the men's side. At some point Ingram will have to make another change.
11-09-2021 11:22 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.