Ga St because of what they are and where they are I get
09-16-2021 07:42 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

AppManDG Offline
Heisman

I Root For: App State
RE: Honest question about AAC
I honestly don't think so. Too many uncertainties surround that conference and as I pointed out on other threads App doesn't fit the profile of their member schools. GA State, Charlotte, UAB, & ODU probably do.
09-16-2021 07:48 AM
Usajags Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: South Alabama
The problem with saying no is the idea that, for example, App gets approached by the AAC, and only App is getting that invite from the SBC, but they want to stay with a Louisiana. If App says no, then Louisiana gets the invite, if Louisiana were to accept, App is still not in a conference with Louisiana. So there is a catch 22 scenario out there. Problem is no one 100% trust the other. Can Louisiana convince App they won’t accept, or are they just positioning to get invite instead of App??? It’s a tricky game, but it’s how it’s played, unfortunately for the fan.

This was just an example, I pulled two schools that have at least been mentioned. Hope my example made sense...04-cheers
09-16-2021 07:50 AM
ballantyneapp Offline
All American

I Root For: App
(09-16-2021 07:50 AM)Usajags Wrote:  The problem with saying no is the idea that, for example, App gets approached by the AAC, and only App is getting that invite from the SBC, but they want to stay with a Louisiana. If App says no, then Louisiana gets the invite, if Louisiana were to accept, App is still not in a conference with Louisiana. So there is a catch 22 scenario out there. Problem is no one 100% trust the other. Can Louisiana convince App they won’t accept, or are they just positioning to get invite instead of App??? It’s a tricky game, but it’s how it’s played, unfortunately for the fan.

This was just an example, I pulled two schools that have at least been mentioned. Hope my example made sense...04-cheers

yup this is the unfortunate reason that the schools that are invited are goign to say yes. FOMO is a huge part of realignment.

As to OP, i'm a reluctant yes. I think IF App were to get invited, it would signal a more program based realignment over market based realignment, so Marshall is likely part of that. A trifecta of App-Marshall-ECU is hard to pass up. Thats a lot of hate, tickets sold, and regional eyeballs on TV.

Also, you have to think about positioning yourself for the next round of realignment. The P4 breakaway is in process. the rumors about additional B12 being poacher and poachee are likely to happen to some extent. Whoever takes the AAC invite now positions themselves to call more shots when we're doing a best/regional leftovers realignment in a few years.
09-16-2021 08:06 AM
geauxcajuns Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisiana
(09-16-2021 07:42 AM)Tealblood Wrote:  If asked do you think your school should accept an invite

hard yes of the AAC of a year ago but now I don't see the upside

Ga St because of what they are and where they are I get

Louisiana would say yes. SMU, Memphis, Tulane all carry more interest with the house divided Cajun/Tiger fans. It was way more attractive with Houston still in the league.

But that yes, would be a no, if USM, Marshall, UAB and UTSA could be convinced to join the SBC.

UAB and USM tighten the footprint while UTSA and Marshall add travel partners for our two geographic outliers in Texas St and Appalachian St. now convince ECU to join and forget about UTSA and I’m good with that.
09-16-2021 08:06 AM
Tealblood Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: CCU
from that standpoint I get UL accepting
09-16-2021 08:19 AM
Advertisement

AstroCajun Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: UL Ragin Cajuns
(09-16-2021 07:50 AM)Usajags Wrote:  The problem with saying no is the idea that, for example, App gets approached by the AAC, and only App is getting that invite from the SBC, but they want to stay with a Louisiana. If App says no, then Louisiana gets the invite, if Louisiana were to accept, App is still not in a conference with Louisiana. So there is a catch 22 scenario out there. Problem is no one 100% trust the other. Can Louisiana convince App they won’t accept, or are they just positioning to get invite instead of App??? It’s a tricky game, but it’s how it’s played, unfortunately for the fan.

The prisoner's dilemma.
09-16-2021 08:43 AM
CardinalBlackTrojan Online

I Root For: TROY
Up until 3 weeks ago, absolutely.

Today, no. Simply because it appears inevitable that Memphis, Wichita State, and SMU will exit.
(This post was last modified: 09-16-2021 08:47 AM by CardinalBlackTrojan.)
09-16-2021 08:44 AM
geauxcajuns Offline
All American

(09-16-2021 08:19 AM)Tealblood Wrote:  from that standpoint I get UL accepting

I would like to reiterate that the admin and AD at UL are working to to strengthen the SBC prior to any supposed invites from the AAC.
09-16-2021 08:46 AM
GoAppsGo92 Offline
1st String

I Root For: TheMountaineers
(09-16-2021 07:48 AM)AppManDG Wrote:  I honestly don't think so. Too many uncertainties surround that conference and as I pointed out on other threads App doesn't fit the profile of their member schools. GA State, Charlotte, UAB, & ODU probably do.

Don’t listen to him. App would consider it, and is in the discussion. It does depend on who is invited to determine if it is worth it. Any G5 football league trying to build the strongest conference will try to get the best programs available. How many doctoral programs you have has absolutely nothing to do with it at the G5 level.
09-16-2021 08:47 AM
CardinalBlackTrojan Online

I Root For: TROY
(09-16-2021 08:47 AM)GoAppsGo92 Wrote:  
(09-16-2021 07:48 AM)AppManDG Wrote:  I honestly don't think so. Too many uncertainties surround that conference and as I pointed out on other threads App doesn't fit the profile of their member schools. GA State, Charlotte, UAB, & ODU probably do.

Don’t listen to him. App would consider it, and is in the discussion. It does depend on who is invited to determine if it is worth it. Any G5 football league trying to build the strongest conference will try to get the best programs available. How many doctoral programs you have has absolutely nothing to do with it at the G5 level.

The AAC isn't trying to build the strongest football league only. They have to build a very strong basketball league too. The AAC has to do this realignment thing a whole lot differently than the SBC, so you might be surprised with who the AAC picks.
09-16-2021 08:52 AM
Advertisement

geauxcajuns Offline
All American

(09-16-2021 08:52 AM)CardinalBlackTrojan Wrote:  

The AAC isn't trying to build the strongest football league only. They have to build a very strong basketball league too. The AAC has to do this realignment thing a whole lot differently than the SBC, so you might be surprised with who the AAC picks.

Charlotte, UAB, GaSt would be my best guesses.
09-16-2021 08:57 AM
ericsaid Offline
Heisman

I Root For: App. State/ECU

If those schools you mention end up being the ones they want to take, you say no. If they end up going after Marshall and Louisiana, you say yes.

It all depends on who else is being brought in. Though I think the university cultural dynamic can be overstated. There is one school in the AAC that is not like the others. That program has its campus in a "small market" but like App is a state school and it's influence extends far beyond where it's brick and mortar are. Of course you know who I'm talking about, and that would also be a big reason to say yes, if the opportunity comes, especially if Marshall and Louisiana were offered as well.

As for Coastal, I expect their academic profile to take a big jump over the next five years, similar to App. They are going to get a ton of new applications due to the exposure they are receiving from football right now. If they ride the wave like App State did really beginning in 2006-2007, they may be able to cement a foundation that allows them to continue to grow their brand and academics while maintaining excellence in their athletics department. They have Joe Moglia who didn't rise to become CEO of TD Ameritrade by being unable to have a strategic outlook.
09-16-2021 09:00 AM
ericsaid Offline
Heisman

The thing is Charlotte basketball has history but where are they now? ECU's basketball is now beneath what App runs, as if their football team.

Again, it comes down to cash and the other programs they add. They aren't going to find anyone to replace Houston, UCF, and Cincinnati in basketball, period. They have to balance short term realignment issues with long-term goals which may include selecting a proper mix. People who are good in football now but can grow their basketball brand. Or people who are poor in basketball now but can grow their football brand.

Charlotte isn't good in basketball or football, ODU is good in basketball and very, very poor in football and they are having athletics budget issues in C-USA.

UAB makes sense to me. They may end up being C-USA 2009 minus UCF and Houston but that wasn't a bad football or basketball conference. The AAC's profile is higher in football though. If they make the wrong adds in football, the momentum carrying the Sun Belt, especially with an addition of Marshall and possibly USM, would likely cement the Sun Belt as the better football conference for at least the next five years, if not more.
09-16-2021 09:06 AM
High Country Student Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: App. State

If Marshall gets an invite, App definitely goes with an invite. If UAB gets an invite and App gets an invite but no Marshall, I think we still strongly consider accepting based off of what I've heard from someone very high in the athletic department. If neither of those teams are involved, I think we stay put in the Sun Belt and recruit those teams, Southern Miss, and one other (My guess would be JMU because of Keith Gill's prior ties to the CAA and state of Virginia after his prior position was at Richmond. Could also see UTSA to pair with Texas State but JMU's profile matches the SBC better than UTSA imo.).
09-16-2021 09:08 AM
ericsaid Offline
Heisman

DG knows people. Talks to people. Gets the vibe from the highest of highs.

His comment about us no considering it is predicated on the schools that it is believed the AAC will go after. But if they go after schools we all think that they should to cement their football brand, App says yes. But that is the difference between us and C-USA. We play football, we are the Sun Belt. Football and baseball, football and baseball. East Carolina actually fits in culturally with the Sun Belt far better than the AAC, but ECU has ties with the programs in the AAC that pre-dates the urban versus rural debate in college athletic affiliation.
09-16-2021 09:16 AM
Advertisement

geauxcajuns Offline
All American

(09-16-2021 09:16 AM)ericsaid Wrote:  

His comment about us no considering it is predicated on the schools that it is believed the AAC will go after. But if they go after schools we all think that they should to cement their football brand, App says yes. But that is the difference between us and C-USA. We play football, we are the Sun Belt. Football and baseball, football and baseball. East Carolina actually fits in culturally with the Sun Belt far better than the AAC, but ECU has ties with the programs in the AAC that pre-dates the urban versus rural debate in college athletic affiliation.

ECU, Marshall, USM and UAB. Let’s make it happen. Lol

If only that were possible.
09-16-2021 09:18 AM
Hemi Man Offline
Hector's Homeboy

I Root For: Troy
(09-16-2021 09:18 AM)geauxcajuns Wrote:  

Hard pass on UAB. They do not control their own future.
09-16-2021 09:23 AM
GoAppsGo92 Offline
1st String

I Root For: TheMountaineers

I get your point on basketball. I don’t get any G5 turning their nose up at App because of how many doctorates we award each year. AAC has positioned itself as the premier G5 league in football. You could say they made their point since 3 teams are going to the Big 12. If they wish to continue as the premier football G5. They know what they have to do.
09-16-2021 09:30 AM
ericsaid Offline
Heisman

(09-16-2021 09:23 AM)Hemi Man Wrote:  
(09-16-2021 09:18 AM)geauxcajuns Wrote:  

Hard pass on UAB. They do not control their own future.

Whenever they are getting 17,000 in that 50,000 seat stadium, people are going to be questioning things. The fans see all those seats and are like "wowwww" but they have no plan to fill them up. But they reside in Alabama. How would Auburn and Alabama react to a program being in a quasi-power conference, should they retain that label?
09-16-2021 09:31 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.