Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Off Topic
Bookmark and Share
BSKB 24 Offline
All American

I Root For: JMU
Off Topic
JMU is receiving lots of negative press nationally over the training given to orientation guides. Talking about offending someone! I am a white, Christian male ~ therefore I am an oppressor. I will be writing a strong letter to John Boy Alger today about this. I am sure this will impact financial giving. Just what we need.
(This post was last modified: 08-23-2021 04:51 PM by BSKB 24.)
08-20-2021 09:09 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

bcp_jmu Offline
Heisman

I Root For: James Madison!!
RE: Off Topic
This was the goal - become the new model for a national engaged university! Lots of comments from parents saying "JMU is now off our list"

Any clarification or comments from the admin? Hiding in Wilson? (Or wherever the offices are now..)
08-20-2021 09:16 AM
BSKB 24 Offline
All American

Before anyone chimes in and says it is not a sports topic, it very much is. Donations will fall because of this. You can book that.
08-20-2021 09:26 AM
JMU2004 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: DUKES
If you tie your donations to some orientation training materials, you need to get a life. There is plenty that goes on at JMU that I personally disagree with, but that goes for any large organization. I still support the school because, taken as a whole, it's an amazing place.

How many people at JMU had anything to do with those materials? 5,10, 20? Let's penalize the other 25,000 people to make our point! That'll show 'em!
(This post was last modified: 08-20-2021 10:01 AM by JMU2004.)
08-20-2021 09:33 AM
bcp_jmu Offline
Heisman

The university allows it..they dont say "whoa this is extreme" ...

Its pretty insulting and offensive to many people - definitely will impact donations
08-20-2021 09:37 AM
jmu98 Online
All American

Agree or disagree if you don't think pretty much every school in America has some iteration of similar materials that are presented in certain situations you are kidding yourself.
08-20-2021 09:39 AM
Advertisement

BSKB 24 Offline
All American

There is never a wrong time to do the right thing. Apathy is the greatest cause of being run over. Do nothing if you are so inclined. It’s like the people who ***** the loudest about the state of affairs in the country but don’t vote.
08-20-2021 09:43 AM
ShadyP Offline
Heisman

(08-20-2021 09:26 AM)BSKB 24 Wrote:  Before anyone chimes in and says it is not a sports topic, it very much is. Donations will fall because of this. You can book that.

Agree 100%........don't bother asking for my money if you think I am an Oppressor.

This is the direction and image that Jon Alger and Tim Miller want to take JMU, to be divisive and teach student to rack and stack folks based on appearance and stereotypes instead of based on character and actual actions.

I would also email the Board of Visitors b/c obviously Jon Alger supports this approach.
08-20-2021 09:45 AM
JMU2004 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: DUKES
(08-20-2021 09:39 AM)jmu98 Wrote:  Agree or disagree if you don't think pretty much every school in America has some iteration of similar materials that are presented in certain situations you are kidding yourself.

Bingo. The outrage is comical to me.
08-20-2021 09:46 AM
olddawg Offline
Hall of Famer

I'm not a huge fan of our BOV to begin with, but will be very curious about any reaction to this on their end.
08-20-2021 10:08 AM
Purple Offline
Heisman

(08-20-2021 09:43 AM)BSKB 24 Wrote:  There is never a wrong time to do the right thing. Apathy is the greatest cause of being run over. Do nothing if you are so inclined. It’s like the people who ***** the loudest about the state of affairs in the country but don’t vote.

Spot on! I see the direction our country is going and I fear greatly for the futures of my children and grandchildren.

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” ~ Edmund Burke

Do something!
(This post was last modified: 08-20-2021 10:23 AM by Purple.)
08-20-2021 10:22 AM
Advertisement

ShadyP Offline
Heisman

(08-20-2021 10:22 AM)Purple Wrote:  
(08-20-2021 09:43 AM)BSKB 24 Wrote:  There is never a wrong time to do the right thing. Apathy is the greatest cause of being run over. Do nothing if you are so inclined. It’s like the people who ***** the loudest about the state of affairs in the country but don’t vote.

Spot on! I see the direction our country is going and I fear greatly for the futures of my children and grandchildren.

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” ~ Edmund Burke

Do something!

Oddly enough JMU does not give this presentation at campus tours, springboard, or student recruiting events, I wonder why........

Also, I am pretty sure that 75% or more of the donations that flow into JMU come from the very groups they identify as oppressors.........i guess that oppressed side of the slide is gonna need to step up donations in the near future.
08-20-2021 10:36 AM
Dukeman2 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: James Madison
Alger is an agent of JMU destruction.

So very sad, and we thought his letter opposing COA for athletes was repulsive.

JMU leading the nation in critical race theory indoctrination.
08-20-2021 02:41 PM
RamDawg Offline
1st String

I Root For: JMU VCU
(08-20-2021 09:39 AM)jmu98 Wrote:  Agree or disagree if you don't think pretty much every school in America has some iteration of similar materials that are presented in certain situations you are kidding yourself.

Schools/teachers should stick to teaching and parents stick to parenting. What I learned last year looking over my kids shoulder during online courses is you can't always trust the knowledge or experiences of the people you are paying to educate your kids. Often times the people tasked to educating our kids have no real life experience outside the field of education. ( "I earned my doctorate and have been a professor ever since")

Neither of my kids who graduated from JMU donate to their school because they don't agree with what is taking place socially, both are questioning the value of their education. (Yes they are young and don't "get it" right now) I know many older alumni donate a significant amount to their schools but will that continue with the people that are more recent grads, future business owners?

From a business perspective, it's pretty foolish going down a path when there is little to gain.
08-20-2021 02:44 PM
NJDuke97 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jmu
“Dear JMU Community,
Just within the past year, we have dealt with a myriad of challenges and together, as a campus community, we have overcome them.
As excited as I am to be welcoming students back to campus, I want take a moment to address recent concerns raised by some in our community about a training for some student staff.
As Dr. Tim Miller, vice president for Student Affairs, emphasized in his video statement, we have decided to pause the training in question for evaluation and review with a variety of JMU constituents.
Let me be clear: We value and respect individuals of all backgrounds. I want to reassert my commitment, and that of all of us at James Madison University, to develop and foster an inclusive environment. Everyone has a place at JMU, and we will continue to strive to create a climate in which everyone feels welcome and respected. That includes people of all racial, gender, socioeconomic, religious, and cultural backgrounds.
Work and conversations surrounding diversity, equity and inclusion can be difficult and at times uncomfortable, but they are necessary. These are challenging topics to discuss, and we know that they are important and demand a lot of thought and care. The ongoing work of the university can, and must be, to seek to have such conversations in ways that honor and respect all members of our community. We all have a lot to learn, and we all have a lot to contribute.
As we navigate this journey together, I ask for empathy and support of one another. During this time of new beginnings, JMU and its leaders will be welcoming individuals from every imaginable background, and it is critical at these times to confront challenges and build strength and solidarity among us. We will continue to learn and grow together.
I look forward to seeing many of you on campus in the coming days.

Jonathan Alger
President, James Madison University”

I think well said- just my opinion- conversations around race and inclusion can be uncomfortable I agree 1000% on that but they need to continue. It’s as President Obama (then Presidential candidate Obama) once said in his famous speech in Philadelphia. Regardless of politics I think everyone can understand that There are many sides to this and we all need to try to understand where the other person is coming from.

I’m not saying that the reaction to this training is the same as the stuff that I see on my social media in the same vain as “shut up and dribble” etc but my feeling is that a lot of mostly white people are fatigued by the conversation- why- in part because it’s uncomfortable for them. That’s not a good enough reason IMO to stymie the conversation. It still needs to happen. Now there’s a line and if a race is truly being vilified or labeled that is wrong and has swung the other way but I don’t think that’s the case. I think people are just fatigued and uncomfortable by the line of conversation and taking it that way.
08-20-2021 03:55 PM
CarRamrod Online
1st String

Wow, wished I'd never ventured into this nonsense of a thread. A bunch of middle-aged/senior dudes complaining about be oppressed to hide from their own prejudices and uncomfortable histories. Come on fellas, get it together.
08-20-2021 04:17 PM
Advertisement

Purple Offline
Heisman

(08-20-2021 03:55 PM)NJDuke97 Wrote:  “Dear JMU Community,
Just within the past year, we have dealt with a myriad of challenges and together, as a campus community, we have overcome them.
As excited as I am to be welcoming students back to campus, I want take a moment to address recent concerns raised by some in our community about a training for some student staff.
As Dr. Tim Miller, vice president for Student Affairs, emphasized in his video statement, we have decided to pause the training in question for evaluation and review with a variety of JMU constituents.
Let me be clear: We value and respect individuals of all backgrounds. I want to reassert my commitment, and that of all of us at James Madison University, to develop and foster an inclusive environment. Everyone has a place at JMU, and we will continue to strive to create a climate in which everyone feels welcome and respected. That includes people of all racial, gender, socioeconomic, religious, and cultural backgrounds.
Work and conversations surrounding diversity, equity and inclusion can be difficult and at times uncomfortable, but they are necessary. These are challenging topics to discuss, and we know that they are important and demand a lot of thought and care. The ongoing work of the university can, and must be, to seek to have such conversations in ways that honor and respect all members of our community. We all have a lot to learn, and we all have a lot to contribute.
As we navigate this journey together, I ask for empathy and support of one another. During this time of new beginnings, JMU and its leaders will be welcoming individuals from every imaginable background, and it is critical at these times to confront challenges and build strength and solidarity among us. We will continue to learn and grow together.
I look forward to seeing many of you on campus in the coming days.

Jonathan Alger
President, James Madison University”

I think well said- just my opinion- conversations around race and inclusion can be uncomfortable I agree 1000% on that but they need to continue. It’s as President Obama (then Presidential candidate Obama) once said in his famous speech in Philadelphia. Regardless of politics I think everyone can understand that There are many sides to this and we all need to try to understand where the other person is coming from.

I’m not saying that the reaction to this training is the same as the stuff that I see on my social media in the same vain as “shut up and dribble” etc but my feeling is that a lot of mostly white people are fatigued by the conversation- why- in part because it’s uncomfortable for them. That’s not a good enough reason IMO to stymie the conversation. It still needs to happen. Now there’s a line and if a race is truly being vilified or labeled that is wrong and has swung the other way but I don’t think that’s the case. I think people are just fatigued and uncomfortable by the line of conversation and taking it that way.

I don't believe they are "uncomfortable" at all. They are just sick of being accused of something they aren't.
(This post was last modified: 08-20-2021 04:27 PM by Purple.)
08-20-2021 04:22 PM
s2dsayer Offline
All American

I Root For: Duuuuukes
(08-20-2021 03:55 PM)NJDuke97 Wrote:  ...but my feeling is that a lot of mostly white people are fatigued by the conversation- why- in part because it’s uncomfortable for them. That’s not a good enough reason IMO to stymie the conversation. It still needs to happen. Now there’s a line and if a race is truly being vilified or labeled that is wrong and has swung the other way but I don’t think that’s the case. I think people are just fatigued and uncomfortable by the line of conversation and taking it that way.

So.... why would I be "uncomfortable"? Could you elaborate please?
08-20-2021 04:26 PM
bcp_jmu Offline
Heisman

(08-20-2021 04:17 PM)CarRamrod Wrote:  Wow, wished I'd never ventured into this nonsense of a thread. A bunch of middle-aged/senior dudes complaining about be oppressed to hide from their own prejudices and uncomfortable histories. Come on fellas, get it together.

If you cant see that blanket-labelling so many people as oppressors is a problem, then you are part of the problem
08-20-2021 04:33 PM
Purple Offline
Heisman

(08-20-2021 04:26 PM)s2dsayer Wrote:  
(08-20-2021 03:55 PM)NJDuke97 Wrote:  ...but my feeling is that a lot of mostly white people are fatigued by the conversation- why- in part because it’s uncomfortable for them. That’s not a good enough reason IMO to stymie the conversation. It still needs to happen. Now there’s a line and if a race is truly being vilified or labeled that is wrong and has swung the other way but I don’t think that’s the case. I think people are just fatigued and uncomfortable by the line of conversation and taking it that way.

So.... why would I be "uncomfortable"? Could you elaborate please?

Isn't it obvious? YOU'RE A RACIST!!

CRT teaches that white people are born racists, it's inherent in them. Racism is in their DNA. It's who they are.

That is why you are uncomfortable. You are privileged.
(This post was last modified: 08-20-2021 04:34 PM by Purple.)
08-20-2021 04:33 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.