Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Aresco on expansion - AAC could stay at 11 or go to 12.
TIGERCITY Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
Aresco on expansion - AAC could stay at 11 or go to 12.
Aresco talks AAC expansion starting at the 11:30 mark. Said might go to 12 for the right team but there's no problem with staying at 11. In either event 11 or 12 he wants to do away with the divisions. Sounds like the guy who was just dealt four aces:-) Link below

https://969thegame.iheart.com/content/20...-playoffs/
06-11-2021 05:43 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

GoOwls111 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: No CFP BIAS
RE: Aresco on expansion - AAC could stay at 11 or go to 12.
Expansion only happens if BYU is involved
06-11-2021 07:00 PM
PirateJP Offline
All American

I Root For: ECU; Charlotte
(06-11-2021 07:00 PM)GoOwls111 Wrote:  Expansion only happens if BYU is involved

It’s really In BYU’s best interest at this point as they’re essentially shut out of this potential format as an independent.
06-11-2021 07:27 PM
Foreverandever Offline
Heisman

I Root For: &
(06-11-2021 07:27 PM)PirateJP Wrote:  
(06-11-2021 07:00 PM)GoOwls111 Wrote:  Expansion only happens if BYU is involved

It’s really In BYU’s best interest at this point as they’re essentially shut out of this potential format as an independent.

Actually they went from no shot as an Indy, to a pretty good chance. A 10-2 BYU team with 4 or 5 A5 wins and a couple top 25 (Boise and a A5, or couple A5 teams) wins will be looking at a top 10-15 ranking. An 11-1 or 12-0 team is likely in the play off with only one really good win and a 4 or 5 power conference wins.

Us switching to a three rivals rotating five of the other eight (nine if we expand) teams I think makes it more likely our expansion team is BYU or Army. That sort of a set up allows for the sort of scheduling that both would like. BYU could get USF, UCF, Houston as its rivals getting it in Texas and Florida virtually every year. Army could avoid Navy as a conference game.

The writing is on the wall here though that we will stay at eleven and the rule change.
(This post was last modified: 06-11-2021 08:17 PM by Foreverandever.)
06-11-2021 08:16 PM
RockyMTNTiger Offline
1st String

I Root For: MEMPHIS
Why would BYU favor the AAC over the MWC? They have history with the western teams and the path to the access would seem to be easier in the MWC. Moreover, the MWC has proven it will roll over and offer sweetheart deals while the AAC just the opposite.

So as I look at it - BYU becomes a threat to push the MWC to more of an equal footing with the AAC. Where am I wrong here?
06-11-2021 08:30 PM
Foreverandever Offline
Heisman

I Root For: &
(06-11-2021 08:30 PM)RockyMTNTiger Wrote:  Why would BYU favor the AAC over the MWC? They have history with the western teams and the path to the access would seem to be easier in the MWC. Moreover, the MWC has proven it will roll over and offer sweetheart deals while the AAC just the opposite.

So as I look at it - BYU becomes a threat to push the MWC to more of an equal footing with the AAC. Where am I wrong here?

BYU is not joining the MWC with Utah in the PAC.

Otherwise marginally yes you would be right, but BYU can get a top 12 ranking with a one loss or two loss independent schedule it currently has. That means it's unlikely they will be joining any non-A5 conference.
06-11-2021 08:34 PM
Advertisement

Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
(06-11-2021 08:30 PM)RockyMTNTiger Wrote:  Why would BYU favor the AAC over the MWC? They have history with the western teams and the path to the access would seem to be easier in the MWC. Moreover, the MWC has proven it will roll over and offer sweetheart deals while the AAC just the opposite.

Well

#1) There is a pride factor at work here. BYU wouldnt want to be seen as "crawling back" to the MW. They also dont want to be in a conference thats dramatically inferior to Utah's conference. That hasnt changed.

#2) BYU left the MW for a reason. The MW Conference BYU elected to leave was a better conference than the current MW---so--why would BYU want to return to a lesser conference than they left?

#3) This is the most important reason. Yes---if BYU joins the MW--it would move the MW closer to the AAC. So why do that? Why join a confernce that would have a peer conference that is a bit better than your conference (meaning the competitor will likely take that #6 top conference champ slot more often than not)? Why would BYU not join the AAC----thus guaranteeing its NEW conference was a league that's VASTLY superior to any of the bottom 4 conferences----and in doing so----virtually guaranteeing that the champion of its new league would make the playoff almost every year? Seems to me joining the AAC is no brainer for BYU if their primary motivation is playoff access.

Thats said---Im not sure BYU is heading anywhere. Its not like their situation gets worse under the new system. It actually improves substantially under the new system. They no longer have to be top 4 to make the playoff. They just need to get into the top 10 to have an excellent chance to make the playoff field. When you consider they generally see more attractive schedules as an indy---joining the MW or AAC might not be their preferred route forward.
(This post was last modified: 06-11-2021 09:00 PM by Attackcoog.)
06-11-2021 08:42 PM
panama Offline
Legend

I Root For: Georgia STATE
(06-11-2021 08:16 PM)Foreverandever Wrote:  
(06-11-2021 07:27 PM)PirateJP Wrote:  

Actually they went from no shot as an Indy, to a pretty good chance. A 10-2 BYU team with 4 or 5 A5 wins and a couple top 25 (Boise and a A5, or couple A5 teams) wins will be looking at a top 10-15 ranking. An 11-1 or 12-0 team is likely in the play off with only one really good win and a 4 or 5 power conference wins.

Us switching to a three rivals rotating five of the other eight (nine if we expand) teams I think makes it more likely our expansion team is BYU or Army. That sort of a set up allows for the sort of scheduling that both would like. BYU could get USF, UCF, Houston as its rivals getting it in Texas and Florida virtually every year. Army could avoid Navy as a conference game.

The writing is on the wall here though that we will stay at eleven and the rule change.
Exactly

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
06-11-2021 08:55 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Bear Catlett Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC
Has Aresco not taken heed of what he reads on this site???

We need to immediately add BYU ...and Boise... and SDSU and Colorado St and App St. and Coastal Carolina and Northern Illinois and Geaorgia St. and North Dakota St. and La Tech and Old Dominion and UMass and...
06-11-2021 09:13 PM
BCSvsBS Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: USF
(06-11-2021 09:13 PM)Bear Catlett Wrote:  Has Aresco not taken heed of what he reads on this site???

We need to immediately add BYU ...and Boise... and SDSU and Colorado St and App St. and Coastal Carolina and Northern Illinois and Geaorgia St. and North Dakota St. and La Tech and Old Dominion and UMass and...

By George that's brilliant!!!

By adding the rest of the gang of 4 to our conference, we'll secure the 6th conferences playoff spot every year.

Just Brilliat!!!
06-11-2021 09:19 PM
Memphis Yankee Online
Hall of Famer

(06-11-2021 09:19 PM)BCSvsBS Wrote:  
(06-11-2021 09:13 PM)Bear Catlett Wrote:  Has Aresco not taken heed of what he reads on this site???

By George that's brilliant!!!

By adding the rest of the gang of 4 to our conference, we'll secure the 6th conferences playoff spot every year.

Just Brilliat!!!

I think we should go after BYU and call it a day. Twelve is an even number. I like even numbers.
06-11-2021 09:43 PM
Advertisement

Memphis Yankee Online
Hall of Famer

You forgot Nevada and UNLV and Fresno State and the Ragin' Cajuns and Buffalo state and UMass and Liberty and.......
06-11-2021 09:47 PM
bill dazzle Online
Craft beer and urban living enthusiast

I Root For: Vandy/Memphis/DePaul/UNC
If I'm BYU ... I like the proposed 12-team playoff model. Stay independent.

As to the AAC ... let's all be patient and see how this unfolds.
06-11-2021 10:02 PM
uofmlimbo Offline
1st String

I Root For:

BYU will never go back to MW....they burned that bridge long ago. It's like saying Memphis needs to go back to CUSA.
06-11-2021 10:14 PM
RockyMTNTiger Offline
1st String

I Root For: MEMPHIS
(06-11-2021 10:14 PM)uofmlimbo Wrote:  

BYU will never go back to MW....they burned that bridge long ago. It's like saying Memphis needs to go back to CUSA.

Everyone is providing logical reasons why BYU would't go back to the MWC - so, it seems to me, that strengthens the viewpoint that we really don't need to add anyone. And if our highest rated competitor can't add anyone significant then its a sort of checkmate. Right or wrong?
06-12-2021 01:05 AM
TIGERCITY Offline
Hall of Famer

I think it's going to be tough for BYU to get one of the six at larges as an independent - even if they play as well as last year. The reason the SEC supported this was because they were probably get 3 in on average most years including their champion and runner-up. Then theres Notre Dame. That's easily three of the six spots before you even get to the Big 12, Big Ten, ACC, and the PAC runner ups.
(This post was last modified: 06-12-2021 06:59 AM by TIGERCITY.)
06-12-2021 06:55 AM
Advertisement

PirateJP Offline
All American

I Root For: ECU; Charlotte
(06-12-2021 06:55 AM)TIGERCITY Wrote:  I think it's going to be tough for BYU to get one of the six at larges as an independent - even if they play as well as last year. The reason the SEC supported this was because they were probably get 3 in on average most years including their champion and runner-up. Then theres Notre Dame. That's easily three of the six spots before you even get to the Big 12, Big Ten, ACC, and the PAC runner ups.

I honestly wouldn’t worry about the ACC and PAC runners up. The costal division is garbage. And the PAC champion finished 25th in the standings last year. If the bottom of this league ever improves watch out.
06-12-2021 07:34 AM
TIGERCITY Offline
Hall of Famer

(06-12-2021 07:34 AM)PirateJP Wrote:  
(06-12-2021 06:55 AM)TIGERCITY Wrote:  I think it's going to be tough for BYU to get one of the six at larges as an independent - even if they play as well as last year. The reason the SEC supported this was because they were probably get 3 in on average most years including their champion and runner-up. Then theres Notre Dame. That's easily three of the six spots before you even get to the Big 12, Big Ten, ACC, and the PAC runner ups.

I honestly wouldn’t worry about the ACC and PAC runners up. The costal division is garbage. And the PAC champion finished 25th in the standings last year. If the bottom of this league ever improves watch out.

The PAC teams play what, an average of six games apiece last year. Plus Washington couldn't play in the championship game because of covid
--- so they substituted a lesser Oregon. Oregon wasn't supposed to win against USC but they did and got ranked. Covid made last year the anomalies of anomalies.... Especially in the PAC. Don't expect to see that again least until the next pandemic.
(This post was last modified: 06-12-2021 07:45 AM by TIGERCITY.)
06-12-2021 07:44 AM
BCSvsBS Offline
Special Teams

(06-12-2021 07:34 AM)PirateJP Wrote:  

I believe this is already occurring.

ECU made strides in the last two years and your coach appears to have figured things out. Tulane is on an upwards trend while my USF has appeared to have solved it's one nagging problem, QB. We suffered from not having any QB's that could run the offense to now having 4 QB's on the roster who can do so. We also appear to be creating a pipeline for QB's or at least finally attracting them. My one concern now is having Big Bodies on both Lines. In Florida you get a few Big Boy's now and then but, the Heat makes it hard for them to develop down here. You either lose weight to adjust to the heat or you become sluggish and are too slow to perform at peak levels. The heat is just hard on the Big Boys.

Anyway, I see temple adjusting this year and next and they will be back. Tulsa needs to figure a couple things out. As for the rest, the AAC is loaded. 04-cheers
06-12-2021 07:49 AM
Cubanbull1 Offline
Heisman

I think BYU will take its time looking at it and the AAC will stand pat. This won’t happen until 2023 at the earliest
Even under new conditions they wouldn’t have qualified for playoffs in past 10 years including last year when they lost 1 game. Their Independence status is all about appearing to be the equal of Utah. The AAC now with the 6 top conference champions in playoffs will give them a chance to do that. Remember AAC champ has finished ahead of PAC champions recently
06-12-2021 07:50 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.