CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
Mike Aresco Contract Extension?
Pete Thamel
@PeteThamel
·
3m
Sources: The American Athletic Conference is in talks with commissioner Mike Aresco about a contract extension. Some resolution is expected in the near future. His current deal expires in 2022.
06-08-2021 12:39 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ArmoredUpKnight Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF Knights
RE: Mike Aresco Contract Extension?
Got lucky we are coming out of a pandemic and leadership changes are less probable.

We are in the middle of the expansion as our championship waiver nears expiration.
All of our programs are cash grabbing to financially recover from 2020.

I am not a fan of Aresco but I understand the need for stability right now. His day will come.
06-08-2021 01:39 PM
pesik Offline
Legend

I Root For: Houston
has absolutley nothing to do with the pandemic... we arent getting rid of him at all in any situation..

earliest aresco could leave will be 2025, after the new playoff situation have been decided, and the p5 GOR expire and theyve made their move... We arent abandoning him mid plan...

aresco is loved by everyone in charge, that boise article in the other thread noted that the boise adminstration thought aresco was a better than craig thompson (mwc commish) and that was a part of the reason they want the aac
06-08-2021 01:56 PM
Stickboy46 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Wichita State
(06-08-2021 01:39 PM)ArmoredUpKnight Wrote:  Got lucky we are coming out of a pandemic and leadership changes are less probable.

We are in the middle of the expansion as our championship waiver nears expiration.

I am not a fan of Aresco but I understand the need for stability right now. His day will come.

I see people say they aren't a fan of Aresco, but I'm struggling with understanding why. I think some people expect the impossible from him. I think overall he's been one of the better commissioners out there. Maybe I'm biased because the MVC had a commissioner that was "retiring" for like the last 10 years he worked there and basically did nothing to advance the conference.
(This post was last modified: 06-08-2021 02:48 PM by Stickboy46.)
06-08-2021 01:59 PM
CoastalJuan Offline
Business Drunk

I Root For: ECU
(06-08-2021 01:59 PM)Stickboy46 Wrote:  
(06-08-2021 01:39 PM)ArmoredUpKnight Wrote:  Got lucky we are coming out of a pandemic and leadership changes are less probable.

I see people say they aren't a fan of Aresco, but I'm struggling with understanding why. I think some people expect the impossible from him. I think overall he's been one of the better commissioners out there. Maybe I'm biased because the MVC had a commissioner that was "retiring" for like the like 10 years he worked there and basically did nothing to advance the conference.

This
06-08-2021 02:48 PM
Attackcoog Offline

I see people say they aren't a fan of Aresco, but I'm struggling with understanding why. I think some people expect the impossible from him. I think overall he's been one of the better commissioners out there. Maybe I'm biased because the MVC had a commissioner that was "retiring" for like the last 10 years he worked there and basically did nothing to advance the conference.

He's been a solid commissioner and Im glad he represents the AAC. That said---he's probably overpaid so I hope we arent bumping his salary. Im fine with an extension.
06-08-2021 06:25 PM
Advertisement

Cubanbull1 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USF

Agree. I think he has done a good job and we need stability and his continued push in these CFP deals
06-08-2021 08:49 PM
TIGERCITY Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
Under Aresco the AAC has become head and shoulders the best G5 conference. That, realistically, was the best we could hope for. If you think otherwise I have a bridge I want to sell you.
06-08-2021 09:21 PM
GoOwls111 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: No CFP BIAS
I curious as to why people keep saying that he is over paid... He took over a conference in the middle of a raid, he nurtured a conference constantly referred to a 'Walking Dead" conference and the AAC under his leadership is much closer than anyone would have predicted to regaining what the BIG EAST was
06-08-2021 11:40 PM
Attackcoog Offline

(06-08-2021 11:40 PM)GoOwls111 Wrote:  I curious as to why people keep saying that he is over paid... He took over a conference in the middle of a raid, he nurtured a conference constantly referred to a 'Walking Dead" conference and the AAC under his leadership is much closer than anyone would have predicted to regaining what the BIG EAST was

He's overpaid because his original contract was signed when we thought we were going to get an ESPN deal that would pay each team 10-15 million a year....and he got a raise since then. His original deal was 1.6 million a year (keep in mind the MW commissioner made $600K at that time--yet he was able to steal Boise and SDSU back from the Big East/AAC). The last tax filing I can access says Aresco made 1.858 million in 2016 (filed in 2017). I think the 2017 contract extension bumped him to 2 million or so if I remember correctly. Heck, in 2014 Bob Bowlsby only made 1.4 million for being the Big12 commissioner. Now that was just for just for half a year---but that's still just 2.8 million for a full year...and Big12 teams bring home 4 or 5 times what we do.

While I like the way Aresco works a room, for the most part, that hasnt made any real structural difference for the conference. We still got demoted out of the power conferences when the CFP was negotiated. We still are treated poorly by the selection committee. We still have a crap bowl line up. We still are closer to the G5 in media payout than the P5. Understand---I dont blame Aresco for any of that. I think he's done a great job and that NOBODY would have been able to keep us from being demoted from the "power" group in 2012. NOBODY could have negotiated us a power conference level media deal. NOBODY could have negotiated us a line up of P5 quality bowls. The college football landscape was such that those things were going to happen to a conference that had our membership.....there was always that glass "G5" ceiling on the AAC. And thats kinda my point---we probably dont really need a 2 million dollar guy to negotiate a deal that a $600K guy is probably just as capable of getting. Im quite happy with Aresco---but I dont expect us to pay 2 million when it comes time to replace him.
(This post was last modified: 06-09-2021 12:35 AM by Attackcoog.)
06-09-2021 12:22 AM
pesik Offline
Legend

(06-09-2021 12:22 AM)Attackcoog Wrote:  While I like the way Aresco works a room, for the most part, that hasnt made any real structural difference for the conference. We still got demoted out of the power conferences when the CFP was negotiated. We still are treated poorly by the selection committee. We still have a crap bowl line up. We still are closer to the G5 in media payout than the P5. Understand---I dont blame Aresco for any of that. I think he's done a great job and that NOBODY would have been able to keep us from being demoted from the "power" group in 2012. NOBODY could have negotiated us a power conference level media deal. NOBODY could have negotiated us a line up of P5 quality bowls. The college football landscape was such that those things were going to happen to conference like ours after the 2011-2013 realignment losses.....there was always a glass "G5" ceiling on the AAC. And thats kinda my point---we probably really dont need a 2 million dollar guy to negotiate a deal that $600K is probably just as capable of getting. Im quite happy with Aresco---but I dont expect us to pay 2 million when it comes time to replace him.

you are saying he hasnt done anything bad, but hasnt done anything good..

i disagree, this conference could have ended up way worse . i have always said that he defined the culture of the conference and our willingness as a conference to want to compete with the p5 (spending, scheduling, hiring, investing)

boise made more money than us in 2013, both deals were redone in 2020..we make double what boise does even with a sweetheart deal

i dont care about the salary, if thats what it takes to keep aresco so be it...i do not think he is replaceable... if it was someone from the other g5 would have had a noteable commish by now...
06-09-2021 12:48 AM
Advertisement

baruna falls Offline
All American

Aresco brought instant credibility to this conference and has represented us very well. Not sure how anyone can say that he has not done a good job for us. I think we would be in much worse shape as a conf if we had not had someone with his credibility amd respect in sports. The Power 5 are not going to share their toys willingly no matter who our Commissionner is.
06-09-2021 06:27 AM
GoOwls111 Offline
Heisman

(06-09-2021 12:22 AM)Attackcoog Wrote:  
(06-08-2021 11:40 PM)GoOwls111 Wrote:  I curious as to why people keep saying that he is over paid... He took over a conference in the middle of a raid, he nurtured a conference constantly referred to a 'Walking Dead" conference and the AAC under his leadership is much closer than anyone would have predicted to regaining what the BIG EAST was

He's overpaid because his original contract was signed when we thought we were going to get an ESPN deal that would pay each team 10-15 million a year....and he got a raise since then. His original deal was 1.6 million a year (keep in mind the MW commissioner made $600K at that time--yet he was able to steal Boise and SDSU back from the Big East/AAC). The last tax filing I can access says Aresco made 1.858 million in 2016 (filed in 2017). I think the 2017 contract extension bumped him to 2 million or so if I remember correctly. Heck, in 2014 Bob Bowlsby only made 1.4 million for being the Big12 commissioner. Now that was just for just for half a year---but that's still just 2.8 million for a full year...and Big12 teams bring home 4 or 5 times what we do.

While I like the way Aresco works a room, for the most part, that hasnt made any real structural difference for the conference. We still got demoted out of the power conferences when the CFP was negotiated. We still are treated poorly by the selection committee. We still have a crap bowl line up. We still are closer to the G5 in media payout than the P5. Understand---I dont blame Aresco for any of that. I think he's done a great job and that NOBODY would have been able to keep us from being demoted from the "power" group in 2012. NOBODY could have negotiated us a power conference level media deal. NOBODY could have negotiated us a line up of P5 quality bowls. The college football landscape was such that those things were going to happen to a conference that had our membership.....there was always that glass "G5" ceiling on the AAC. And thats kinda my point---we probably dont really need a 2 million dollar guy to negotiate a deal that a $600K guy is probably just as capable of getting. Im quite happy with Aresco---but I dont expect us to pay 2 million when it comes time to replace him.

How would you have felt if Aresco upped Thompson and the MW and gave BSU the same "sweetheart" deal to BSU to stay in the BIG EAST and the BIG EAST would have lost it's AQ status regardless since it really wasn't the same Conference anymore?

Don't underestimate the value of that BIG EAST basketball added to the football status.

The only way that the BIG EAST could have been saved is if new members were added 2 years earlier and Aresco would have been hired 2 years earlier.
06-09-2021 06:44 AM
GoOwls111 Offline
Heisman

I truly believe that he is one of very small number of people that can change that G5 ceiling, and anyone else capable of doing that is already making double of what Aresco is making and may not even be interested on challenging the P5...

There you go, I've grudgingly use the G5/P5 narrative in order to make a point... EHHH
06-09-2021 06:54 AM
gulfcoastgal Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
I don’t know if anything/one could have saved the big east. I look at it as the cost of doing business. It’s easy to say, but hard to prove that someone else could have done just as good of a job making less money. He’s obviously a good negotiator, both for himself and the conference (couldn’t move the original contract, but the NY6 tie wouldn’t be a thing w/o him as none of the other G5 commissioners stepped up). You get what you pay for, and he works as hard as any of the top P5 commissioners. Would he work as hard if he was paid less? IDK what motivates him. Obviously, the schools are okay with his salary or it wouldn’t be approved.
06-09-2021 07:03 AM
baruna falls Offline
All American

(06-09-2021 07:03 AM)gulfcoastgal Wrote:  I don’t know if anything/one could have saved the big east. I look at it as the cost of doing business. It’s easy to say, but hard to prove that someone else could have done just as good of a job making less money. He’s obviously a good negotiator, both for himself and the conference (couldn’t move the original contract, but the NY6 tie wouldn’t be a thing w/o him as none of the other G5 commissioners stepped up). You get what you pay for, and he works as hard as any of the top P5 commissioners. Would he work as hard if he was paid less? IDK what motivates him. Obviously, the schools are okay with his salary or it wouldn’t be approved.

Actually money is not a good indicator of extra motivation. Studies show motivation is much more intrinsically tied to purpose of job and whether or not someone feels appreciated in the job. Aresco seems to be purpose driven and dedicated to making this conference on par with the P5. So imo he is purpose driven. Oh, the money is of course important, but I believe Aresco is motivated by other things.
06-09-2021 07:35 AM
Advertisement

goodknightfl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
I could care less what he is paid. it works out to 130 k per school, hell they pay that for position coaches at many schools. It is spare change to individual schools.
06-09-2021 08:24 AM
Attackcoog Offline

(06-09-2021 12:48 AM)pesik Wrote:  
(06-09-2021 12:22 AM)Attackcoog Wrote:  While I like the way Aresco works a room, for the most part, that hasnt made any real structural difference for the conference. We still got demoted out of the power conferences when the CFP was negotiated. We still are treated poorly by the selection committee. We still have a crap bowl line up. We still are closer to the G5 in media payout than the P5. Understand---I dont blame Aresco for any of that. I think he's done a great job and that NOBODY would have been able to keep us from being demoted from the "power" group in 2012. NOBODY could have negotiated us a power conference level media deal. NOBODY could have negotiated us a line up of P5 quality bowls. The college football landscape was such that those things were going to happen to conference like ours after the 2011-2013 realignment losses.....there was always a glass "G5" ceiling on the AAC. And thats kinda my point---we probably really dont need a 2 million dollar guy to negotiate a deal that $600K is probably just as capable of getting. Im quite happy with Aresco---but I dont expect us to pay 2 million when it comes time to replace him.

you are saying he hasnt done anything bad, but hasnt done anything good..

i disagree, this conference could have ended up way worse . i have always said that he defined the culture of the conference and our willingness as a conference to want to compete with the p5 (spending, scheduling, hiring, investing)

boise made more money than us in 2013, both deals were redone in 2020..we make double what boise does even with a sweetheart deal

i dont care about the salary, if thats what it takes to keep aresco so be it...i do not think he is replaceable... if it was someone from the other g5 would have had a noteable commish by now...

I never said he didnt do anything good. You completely made that up. He has done plenty of things that were good and I really like having Aresco as our commissioner. What I said was I dont think we need a 2 million dollar a year guy to handle our conference. The point is, until he does something that breaks through the glass ceiling (gets the AAC an autoo-bid to the playoff, or a P5 sized tv deal, or an annual deal with a major bowl game, or gets us included as an autonomous conference) then these are all deals that could have probably been negotiated by any competent commissioner armed with our school line up and good PR skills for a much lower salary. I have no issue with Aresco---I just think the AAC doesnt make enough to be paying a commissioner 2 million (thats probably more than any member school president makes).
(This post was last modified: 06-09-2021 12:45 PM by Attackcoog.)
06-09-2021 10:59 AM
vick mike Offline
All American

I Root For: Temple U
Aresco has done a good job, I vote keep him. For the poster who said we were supposed to get $10-$15M per school, please don’t Bogart that joint, my friend.
06-09-2021 11:10 AM
pesik Offline
Legend

(06-09-2021 10:59 AM)Attackcoog Wrote:  I never said he didnt do anything good. You completely made that up. He has done plenty of things that were good and I really like having Aresco as our commissioner. What I said was I dont think we need a 2 million dollar a year guy to handle our conference. The point is, until he does something that breaks through the glass ceiling (gets the AAC an autoo-bid to the playoff, or a P5 sized tv deal, or an annual deal with a major bowl game, of gets us included as an autonomous conference) then these are all deals that could have probably been negotiated by any competent commissioner armed with our school line up and good PR skills for a much lower salary. I have no issue with Aresco---I just think the AAC doesnt make enough to be paying a commissioner 2 million (thats probably more than any member school president makes).

my point is that i want aresco ... if what he is doing could have easily been replaced, someone in the g5 would have done it...
the MWC is paying their commish about 800k.... their is literally an article from yesterday where it says boise's prefers aresco to thompson

when the c7 left, they had the votes to dissolve the league without having to pay a dime and take the big east name for nothing... something i thought was interesting in the the c7 public exit letter, they spent a considerable amount of time thanking aresco

specifically aresco is who should be our commish, extremely few would have been as admant as him about being p5 and extremely public about it...few would have woven it into the conferences culture..
in 2103 we were at the brink of dissolution.. 6 years later we are sitting in a position of power..we could have easily sunk like the WAC or slowly died stagnent like the mwc.. made horrendous expansion decisions like the c-usa ..

aresco specifically had a vision, even when things were bad, im fine with whatever we are paying him
06-09-2021 11:55 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.