Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

ACC/BIG12 merger
7thHeaven Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: UofL
ACC/BIG12 merger
I know it sounds crazy but what if the ACC and Big12 merge and create a Super Conference? The focus currently for both conferences is keeping up with the SEC and BIG10. The merge would solve every problem. I know everyone says that’s to many schools but what’s the difference? Louisville has been in the ACC for years now and 2020 was the first time they played VT, so what would be the difference? You could setup must see TV matches or have 4 divisions etc. The possibility would be unlimited and the conference championship game would be epic. Do like 2020 and play conference games only for maximum exposure and viewership. The TV market would be second to none and the SEC and Big10 wouldn’t know what to do.
04-18-2021 01:11 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Ewglenn Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MTSU
RE: ACC/BIG12 merger
(04-18-2021 01:11 AM)7thHeaven Wrote:  I know it sounds crazy but what if the ACC and Big12 merge and create a Super Conference? The focus currently for both conferences is keeping up with the SEC and BIG10. The merge would solve every problem. I know everyone says that’s to many schools but what’s the difference? Louisville has been in the ACC for years now and 2020 was the first time they played VT, so what would be the difference? You could setup must see TV matches or have 4 divisions etc. The possibility would be unlimited and the conference championship game would be epic. Do like 2020 and play conference games only for maximum exposure and viewership. The TV market would be second to none and the SEC and Big10 wouldn’t know what to do.

I think if they were to do that it would be pieced together. You’d likely end up with 16 teams. An East/West format. Do a 9 game conference schedule, so you’d play everyone in your division plus 2 from the other side. Then require at least one P5 OOC game.

East
Clemson
FSU
Miami
VT
GT
UNC
Louisville
NCST

West
ND
Texas
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Texas Tech
Nebraska
Kansas
TCU
04-18-2021 10:22 AM
ken d Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
(04-18-2021 10:22 AM)Ewglenn Wrote:  
(04-18-2021 01:11 AM)7thHeaven Wrote:  I know it sounds crazy but what if the ACC and Big12 merge and create a Super Conference? The focus currently for both conferences is keeping up with the SEC and BIG10. The merge would solve every problem. I know everyone says that’s to many schools but what’s the difference? Louisville has been in the ACC for years now and 2020 was the first time they played VT, so what would be the difference? You could setup must see TV matches or have 4 divisions etc. The possibility would be unlimited and the conference championship game would be epic. Do like 2020 and play conference games only for maximum exposure and viewership. The TV market would be second to none and the SEC and Big10 wouldn’t know what to do.

I think if they were to do that it would be pieced together. You’d likely end up with 16 teams. An East/West format. Do a 9 game conference schedule, so you’d play everyone in your division plus 2 from the other side. Then require at least one P5 OOC game.

East
Clemson
FSU
Miami
VT
GT
UNC
Louisville
NCST

West
ND
Texas
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Texas Tech
Nebraska
Kansas
TCU

I don't believe we are talking about taking the "best of" each conference. I believe what you would wind up with all 24 teams or none at all. That would likely result in 4 divisions of six teams each:

Texas, Texas Tech, TCU, Baylor, Oklahoma, and Oklahoma State
Kansas, Kansas State, Iowa State, Louisville, Pitt and West Virginia
Clemson, Florida State, Georgia Tech, Miami, Syracuse and Boston College
Virginia Tech, Virginia, North Carolina, Duke, NC State and Wake Forest

With an 8 game schedule - 5 games within division and one game from each of the other three divisions with no protected crossovers. The combined league would encourage OOC games against other non-division opponents, especially the traditional power teams to maximize attractiveness of the schedule to media partners.

Basketball gives everyone four protected rivals twice a year, plus four *annual rivals* once a year, and the remaining 16 teams once every other year. *Annual rivals* would be assigned to ensure the most attractive interregional matchups involving schools like Kansas, Louisville, UNC, Duke, etc. occur every year.

It's not so crazy. Much more likely than Big 12-PAC mashup. The ACC might be interested for no reason other than to get rid of its onerous long term contract (to 2035) with ESPN.
(This post was last modified: 04-18-2021 12:09 PM by ken d.)
04-18-2021 12:08 PM
random asian guy Offline
All American

I Root For: VT, Georgetown
(04-18-2021 12:08 PM)ken d Wrote:  

East
Clemson
FSU
Miami
VT
GT
UNC
Louisville
NCST

West
ND
Texas
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Texas Tech
Nebraska
Kansas
TCU

I don't believe we are talking about taking the "best of" each conference. I believe what you would wind up with all 24 teams or none at all. That would likely result in 4 divisions of six teams each:

With an 8 game schedule - 5 games within division and one game from each of the other three divisions with no protected crossovers. The combined league would encourage OOC games against other non-division opponents, especially the traditional power teams to maximize attractiveness of the schedule to media partners.

Basketball gives everyone four protected rivals twice a year, plus four *annual rivals* once a year, and the remaining 16 teams once every other year. *Annual rivals* would be assigned to ensure the most attractive interregional matchups involving schools like Kansas, Louisville, UNC, Duke, etc. occur every year.

It's not so crazy. Much more likely than Big 12-PAC mashup. The ACC might be interested for no reason other than to get rid of its onerous long term contract (to 2035) with ESPN.

Sounds like a decent plan. But UT might want to keep its LHN.
04-18-2021 01:02 PM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
I think you do a merge & split like I described here:

https://accfootballrx.blogspot.com/2019/...erged.html

What you end up with is this for Football First:

WEST
Texas
TCU
Oklahoma
Oklahoma St
W Virginia
Pitt

EAST
Virginia Tech
NC State
Clemson
Georgia Tech
Florida St
Miami

(had to pair Pitt with WVU), and you get this for Basketball First:

WEST
Texas Tech
Baylor
Kansas
Iowa State
Kansas State
Louisville

EAST
Boston College
Virginia
Syracuse
Duke
UNC
Wake Forest

(sorry, BC and Wake, you're going into the basketball pile).
04-18-2021 02:06 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Pervis_Griffith Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisville

East
Clemson
FSU
Miami
VT
GT
UNC
Louisville
NCST

West
ND
Texas
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Texas Tech
Nebraska
Kansas
TCU

Interesting break down. Usually with these kinds of posts, I dismiss the idea right off the bat. Your scneario is intriguing enough to think about.

But ...

I assume Notre Dame is included on the hoops side ... which gives you a weird 25 school conference tourney for hoops.

Is there any way we can do this, and just kick West Virginia to the curb? Having to endure them in the Big East made escaping them in the ACC so much more enjoyable. I'd rather not have to play those jack wagons ever again.
(This post was last modified: 04-18-2021 02:26 PM by Pervis_Griffith.)
04-18-2021 02:23 PM
Advertisement

XLance Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina

East
Clemson
FSU
Miami
VT
GT
UNC
Louisville
NCST

West
ND
Texas
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Texas Tech
Nebraska
Kansas
TCU

Interesting concept.
I would suggest that each division would have two top football programs.
I believe swapping Wake Forest/NC State for Florida State/Miami would work.
(This post was last modified: 04-18-2021 02:59 PM by XLance.)
04-18-2021 02:57 PM
nole Offline
1st String

I Root For: FSU
Think bigger.

You merge the p3. PAC 12, B1G 12, and ACC.

You do all you can to stand toe to toe with the P2 and definitely work towards a future where the P5 shares ONE TV contact as well as seperates in bball.
04-18-2021 03:54 PM
Wahoowa84 Offline
All American

I Root For: UVa
Lots of potential and out of the box thinking. IMO, the B12 is primed to get a substantial increase in their next media renegotiations (so long as Oklahoma is willing to stick with Texas)...but the conference is the smallest of the P5 and could use greater stability.

Maybe Phillips & ESPN can do something during this look-in window. If not, this provides an alternative to consider.
04-18-2021 04:03 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
(04-18-2021 04:03 PM)Wahoowa84 Wrote:  Lots of potential and out of the box thinking. IMO, the B12 is primed to get a substantial increase in their next media renegotiations (so long as Oklahoma is willing to stick with Texas)...but the conference is the smallest of the P5 and could use greater stability.

Maybe Phillips & ESPN can do something during this look-in window. If not, this provides an alternative to consider.

To make this happen you need to do several things. First you can't take all 10 or you are just averaging what the Big 12 makes with what the ACC makes. What you need are premium brands, premium ad rates in major markets, and something that pleases Texas a lot.

If you took Texas, Texas Tech, Baylor, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and Kansas State this is what could happen. You create 2 conferences of 18 schools each under ESPN completely, the SEC and ACC. The ACC adds six to have a regional division for the Horns. This keeps Texa-homa together and with ESPN encouraging A&M and T.C.U. playing Texas OOC annually it sets up for the Horns to play 8 games in the state of Texas per year. (a 6 game home schedule which includes OU) and an away game with Tech or Baylor as they rotate home and away annually in division and an away game with T.C.U. or A&M as they rotate home and away annually. This is better than the 8 home game slate they play in the Big 12 and would satisfy the Texas business model completely. That way they travel for 3 conference games a year in the ACC and have 3 current ACC teams rotate in annually. With OU playing in DFW annually Texas will only have 2 division games that they would play out of state (OSU/KSU).

Those 6 schools have a market of nearly 35 million and KState has the much higher football value and plays both revenue sports competitively.

What the ACC would need to do to make this work is to give up 2 market redundant schools (Virginia Tech, N.C. State, Miami or Florida) of their choice. ESPN would likely prefer Va Tech and N.C. State in the SEC as that opens up more marketing opportunities in 2 states of 20 million where advertising and network access could be potentially double dipped. The SEC would likely prefer (F.S.U. or Miami and N.C. State) as one of the Florida schools would add to our revenue for advertising in Florida but their departure would not damage what the ACC gets there now. And N.C. State is closer to the core, though Virginia Tech is certainly accessible for 4 of our schools. The SEC picking up Kansas for hoops props and Missouri's rival and adding T.C.U. for a bigger slice of DFW which helps A&M and Arkansas would find a positive. Those four probably don't add that much to the SEC revenue but they 6 headed to the ACC would certainly add in a major way for you, especially with N.D. keeping a partial.

This isn't "THE DEAL" but for something to have a good chance to happen ESPN, the SEC, and the ACC have to find something good in it. And for 2024 the breaking up of the Big 12 is far easier to handle placing 8 schools because it covers all conference by laws, is enough to dissolve the conference, and the GOR expires.

Have fun playing around with this but it will be a concept like this one that will have the greatest chance of happening.
04-18-2021 05:38 PM
nole Offline
1st String

I Root For: FSU
04-19-2021 02:38 PM
Advertisement

ChrisLords Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Virginia Tech

East
Clemson
FSU
Miami
VT
GT
UNC
Louisville
NCST

West
ND
Texas
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Texas Tech
Nebraska
Kansas
TCU

I don't think you need 16 when 12 will do; and you're not getting Nebraska out of the B1G:

East
-----
Clemson
FSU
Miami
VT
GT
ND

West
-----
Baylor
Texas
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Kansas
TCU
04-19-2021 02:41 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(04-19-2021 02:38 PM)nole Wrote:  Think bigger:

https://theathletic.com/2529433/2021/04/...tennessee/

Well as a concept the idea has been with us since the very early 70's when John McKay and Bear Bryant kicked it around. It didn't fly then because of the travel expense and the lack of revenue in the early 70's. It won't fly now because of contracts, grants of rights, and the need to keep non revenue sports as local as possible.

The ESPN family will be as close as we get and there won't be special revenue deals to equalize the finances of the members. We'll muddle on for now in conferences which may expand, but the change is already too much for the health of the game. I suspect caution will prevail until there is a clear path forward for everyone.
04-19-2021 03:09 PM
random asian guy Offline
All American

I Root For: VT, Georgetown
(04-18-2021 05:38 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(04-18-2021 04:03 PM)Wahoowa84 Wrote:  Lots of potential and out of the box thinking. IMO, the B12 is primed to get a substantial increase in their next media renegotiations (so long as Oklahoma is willing to stick with Texas)...but the conference is the smallest of the P5 and could use greater stability.

To make this happen you need to do several things. First you can't take all 10 or you are just averaging what the Big 12 makes with what the ACC makes. What you need are premium brands, premium ad rates in major markets, and something that pleases Texas a lot.

If you took Texas, Texas Tech, Baylor, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and Kansas State this is what could happen. You create 2 conferences of 18 schools each under ESPN completely, the SEC and ACC. The ACC adds six to have a regional division for the Horns. This keeps Texa-homa together and with ESPN encouraging A&M and T.C.U. playing Texas OOC annually it sets up for the Horns to play 8 games in the state of Texas per year. (a 6 game home schedule which includes OU) and an away game with Tech or Baylor as they rotate home and away annually in division and an away game with T.C.U. or A&M as they rotate home and away annually. This is better than the 8 home game slate they play in the Big 12 and would satisfy the Texas business model completely. That way they travel for 3 conference games a year in the ACC and have 3 current ACC teams rotate in annually. With OU playing in DFW annually Texas will only have 2 division games that they would play out of state (OSU/KSU).

Those 6 schools have a market of nearly 35 million and KState has the much higher football value and plays both revenue sports competitively.

What the ACC would need to do to make this work is to give up 2 market redundant schools (Virginia Tech, N.C. State, Miami or Florida) of their choice. ESPN would likely prefer Va Tech and N.C. State in the SEC as that opens up more marketing opportunities in 2 states of 20 million where advertising and network access could be potentially double dipped. The SEC would likely prefer (F.S.U. or Miami and N.C. State) as one of the Florida schools would add to our revenue for advertising in Florida but their departure would not damage what the ACC gets there now. And N.C. State is closer to the core, though Virginia Tech is certainly accessible for 4 of our schools. The SEC picking up Kansas for hoops props and Missouri's rival and adding T.C.U. for a bigger slice of DFW which helps A&M and Arkansas would find a positive. Those four probably don't add that much to the SEC revenue but they 6 headed to the ACC would certainly add in a major way for you, especially with N.D. keeping a partial.

This isn't "THE DEAL" but for something to have a good chance to happen ESPN, the SEC, and the ACC have to find something good in it. And for 2024 the breaking up of the Big 12 is far easier to handle placing 8 schools because it covers all conference by laws, is enough to dissolve the conference, and the GOR expires.

Have fun playing around with this but it will be a concept like this one that will have the greatest chance of happening.

You are very knowledgeable, certainly much more than I am. But I have to ask this: why does the ACC have to give up two teams and give them to the SEC? Can the ACC, the Big 12, and the ESPN make a deal without the SEC?
04-19-2021 03:30 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(04-19-2021 03:30 PM)random asian guy Wrote:  

You are very knowledgeable, certainly much more than I am. But I have to ask this: why does the ACC have to give up two teams and give them to the SEC? Can the ACC, the Big 12, and the ESPN make a deal without the SEC?

Well because ESPN has to maintain good relations with both and with the Big 12 schools involved. The SEC has been angling for Texas since 1987 when the two first talked. If the SEC is to be cut out of the loop they won't stay warm to ESPN very long, and might well offer Texas on their own. If ESPN interferes you have a lawsuit.

So it is in the interest of ESPN to work a deal, like they tried to do in 2010-1, but which fell through at the last moment.

Kansas will move if Kansas State has a solid landing spot. Texas will move if all of its minions are provided for. Oklahoma would have an easier time moving if OSU is provided for.

If you merge the ACC with the entire Big 12 you have 10 schools worth an annual payout of 38 million and 14 schools worth an annual payout of 27.2 million. If you average the 10 Big 12 schools make less and the 14 ACC schools make more. That's not going to work for the Big 12 and it's not going to solve the ACC's revenue gap with the SEC or Big 10.

The only way to help the ACC close that gap is to move the largest revenue programs of the Big 12 to the ACC. Texas and Oklahoma are absolutely the top 2. But Oklahoma State and Kansas State are top 6. Tech appeases Texas as does Baylor which permits UT to keep the games inside Texas they wish to play. The ACC's average goes up with all 6 of those schools in terms of attendance, Gross Total Revenue, and WSJ valuations. If you cut two schools who can't add as much value due to their numbers and their duplicated markets you close more of the revenue gap. If the SEC and ESPN both get something they want out of it then it is a winner for everyone. But if you are going to ask the SEC to not try to land 2 of the 3 most valuable remaining prizes in realignment then you are going to have to make it worth their while. T.C.U and Kansas are sub on every SEC metric except markets represented. This is why getting added market help from the ACC adds would make up for some of the loss of not going after Texas and Oklahoma.

I think this concept's only chance of happening (which is what we are discussing) might be found in this kind of approach. Otherwise the SEC goes after Texas and Oklahoma hard in which case the revenue gaps grows significantly more. And that's not a threat, that's simply reality, and the doing of what is best for the SEC.

As the ACC stands what does it really have to offer Texas as an independent? 7 games with which to schedule what they freely schedule without 5 ACC games now, and less money. The SEC can offer them 1 road game in the state of Texas by taking Texas Tech with them since the SEC already has A&M. So Texas gets to play 7 home games in Texas (2 in division), likely keeps the RRR for an 8th, and plays 4 conference games at home, possibly 5 with expansion, and gets back on their schedule L.S.U., Arkansas, and A&M annually to go with Tech and a lot more money. What ESPN can do is encourage A&M and TCU to schedule them as well so if the ACC built a division around them Texas has much of what it wants and a lot of their scheduling issues are resolved.

Texas is more concerned with how many games they play inside the state of Texas than they are with money, even though money is still a prime motivator. Prima facia the move of Texas to the ACC as an independent doesn't make any sense, or business sense. You'll have to build a division around Texas to make it appealing to them and that means you need to place 8 Big 12 schools in safe havens to make it possible. That means you'll need help from the SEC.

So now you are right back where we started. Whatever transpires has to be something out of which ESPN / the SEC / and the ACC all get something they want.
(This post was last modified: 04-19-2021 04:08 PM by JRsec.)
04-19-2021 03:52 PM
CardinalJim Offline
Welcome to The New Age

(04-19-2021 03:09 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(04-19-2021 02:38 PM)nole Wrote:  Think bigger:

https://theathletic.com/2529433/2021/04/...tennessee/

Well as a concept the idea has been with us since the very early 70's when John McKay and Bear Bryant kicked it around. It didn't fly then because of the travel expense and the lack of revenue in the early 70's. It won't fly now because of contracts, grants of rights, and the need to keep non revenue sports as local as possible.

The ESPN family will be as close as we get and there won't be special revenue deals to equalize the finances of the members. We'll muddle on for now in conferences which may expand, but the change is already too much for the health of the game. I suspect caution will prevail until there is a clear path forward for everyone.

The lawsuits a so-called “Super League” would cause would be epic. Can you imagine when the state attorney generals for state universities that get “sent down” get a hold of this case.

How a so-called not for profit entity like a “Super League” could argue to kick state funded universities to the curb in an attempt to line their pockets with more cash while crippling the schools getting “set down”. Well the discovery alone would be must see TV.

Then you would have to think Congress would get involved. The Senate would most certainly have hearings. The House might be more agreeable, only because of Texas and California representation but there would still be a fight.

Antitrust protection would most certainly be stripped away.

Now if the participants in a “Super League” want to admit they are no longer educational institutions and instead a minor league for the NFL, then we can talk.
04-19-2021 05:52 PM
Advertisement

cuseroc Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: Syracuse

Donators

Everyone here is just guessing and theorizing. None of us know how things will shake out. No one was able to foresee Nebraska to the BIG or Missouri to the SEC until it happened. No one saw Pitt and SU going to the ACC until it happened. We will all be equally surprised how things shake out in the future when it actually happens. That is my theory.
(This post was last modified: 04-19-2021 06:23 PM by cuseroc.)
04-19-2021 06:22 PM
CardinalJim Offline
Welcome to The New Age

(04-19-2021 06:22 PM)cuseroc Wrote:  

Everyone here is just guessing and theorizing. None of us know how things will shake out. No one was able to foresee Nebraska to the BIG or Missouri to the SEC until it happened. No one saw Pitt and SU going to the ACC until it happened. We will all be equally surprised how things shake out in the future when it actually happens. That is my theory.

I agree...

I however have to admit I want to see public entities form an organization to limits the earning potential of other public entities.

The anarchist in me wants to see the whole system blown up. There is absolutely no reason schools should be forced into conference relationships for access to games at the highest levels of a sport.

A sport that’s wholly bought and paid for by the taxpayers.
04-19-2021 06:37 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(04-19-2021 06:37 PM)CardinalJim Wrote:  

I agree...

I however have to admit I want to see public entities form an organization to limits the earning potential of other public entities.

The anarchist in me wants to see the whole system blown up. There is absolutely no reason schools should be forced into conference relationships for access to games at the highest levels of a sport.

Mostly paid for by taxpayers. Privates get their money from a variety of sources, but not the state. State schools get money from a variety of sources but also the state.

The rub here Jim is that major corporations control the lobby on both sides of the aisle in Washington. If their ox get gored there will be action. If they are the ones goring the ox, you'll hear crickets.

And not to be an antagonist but the additions really weren't that big of a surprise, at least not to the presidents of the conferences who worked on those moves for over a year before the public got a whiff. They use the press to soft soap the moves, but the moves are well underway in most cases a year before anyone hears of them. Maryland to the Big 10 had been an ongoing flirtation but the decision was made pretty quickly, it's just that they had already covered preliminaries. Missouri had been in discussion with the SEC since 2010 through back channels as Alden and Machen were old friends. Texas A&M had been off and on in discussions with the SEC for over a decade when the opportunity arose and they took it. And discussions held with schools which decide not to move were as if they never happened. So fans are surprised. But the presidents and commissioner and the network liaisons all are in the know well in advance. Sometimes leaks are valid, sometimes they are just clickbait.
(This post was last modified: 04-19-2021 06:50 PM by JRsec.)
04-19-2021 06:44 PM
CardinalJim Offline
Welcome to The New Age

(04-19-2021 06:44 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(04-19-2021 06:37 PM)CardinalJim Wrote:  
(04-18-2021 05:38 PM)JRsec Wrote:  To make this happen you need to do several things. First you can't take all 10 or you are just averaging what the Big 12 makes with what the ACC makes. What you need are premium brands, premium ad rates in major markets, and something that pleases Texas a lot.

I agree...

Mostly paid for by taxpayers. Privates get their money from a variety of sources, but not the state. State schools get money from a variety of sources but also the state.

The rub here Jim is that major corporations control the lobby on both sides of the aisle in Washington. If their ox get gored there will be action. If they are the ones goring the ox, you'll hear crickets.

I can tell you there is enough corporate money behind UofL to buy any university in the south. How do you think Louisville manages to stay in the Top 20 - 25 in College Athletics income every year.

Personally I would like to see all the conferences dissolved and let the schools that make the money, keep the money.

Let’s level the playing field and let urban institutions like Louisville, Cincinnati and Memphis pay players.

I’ll bet you a dollar to a donut there in more corporate money in the cities than there is in Lexington, Knoxville or about anywhere in the SEC.

Let’s all just stop pretending that players aren’t being bought and paid for at Alabama and open the auction up for players.
04-19-2021 06:54 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.