Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Do we have a chance at being the #1 ranked G5 conference?
Bookmark and Share
Appvette Offline
2nd String

I Root For: App State
Do we have a chance at being the #1 ranked G5 conference?
The Sun Belt is currently the #1 conference based on RPI. Can we finish #1 and get the top payout? Perhaps if Coastal gets the NY6 bowl and others finish strong?

http://realtimerpi.com/college_football/ncaaf_conf.html
12-03-2020 07:03 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

TrueBlueDrew Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jawjuh Suthen
RE: Do we have a chance at being the #1 ranked G5 conference?
Lol if that happened, not only would we never get our money, the P5 would separate the next day
12-03-2020 07:12 PM
Appvette Offline
2nd String

(12-03-2020 07:12 PM)TrueBlueDrew Wrote:  Lol if that happened, not only would we never get our money, the P5 would separate the next day

I mean #1 G5, not overall. If anything, that should make the P5 feel better since we had the best P5 wins.
12-03-2020 07:17 PM
TrueBlueDrew Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jawjuh Suthen
(12-03-2020 07:17 PM)Appvette Wrote:  
(12-03-2020 07:12 PM)TrueBlueDrew Wrote:  Lol if that happened, not only would we never get our money, the P5 would separate the next day

I mean #1 G5, not overall. If anything, that should make the P5 feel better since we had the best P5 wins.

Ah my mistake
12-03-2020 07:25 PM
kevinwmsn Offline
1st String

I Root For: South Alabama
That would be great. We need Coastal to beat BYU and good wins for bowls(if we have them)
12-03-2020 11:17 PM
CardinalBlackTrojan Offline

I Root For: TROY
I guess it depends on what metric the CFP uses. I don't really know how they determine that. Sagarin seems to be pretty well accepted among most people.

Realtime RPI:
#1 - SBC
#2 - American
#3 - Mountain West
#4 - MAC
#5 - CUSA

Sagarin Ratings:
#1 - American
#2 - SBC
#3 - Mountain West
#4 - MAC
#5 - CUSA
(This post was last modified: 12-03-2020 11:48 PM by CardinalBlackTrojan.)
12-03-2020 11:47 PM
Advertisement

balanced_view Offline
1st String

I Root For: Louisiana
(12-03-2020 11:47 PM)CardinalBlackTrojan Wrote:  I guess it depends on what metric the CFP uses. I don't really know how they determine that. Sagarin seems to be pretty well accepted among most people.

Realtime RPI:
#1 - SBC
#2 - American
#3 - Mountain West
#4 - MAC
#5 - CUSA

Sagarin Ratings:
#1 - American
#2 - SBC
#3 - Mountain West
#4 - MAC
#5 - CUSA

3rd, 4th, and 5th spot looks unanimous.
12-04-2020 08:28 AM
EigenEagle Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Ga Southern
Computer rankings are really tricky with so few non-conference games and a lot of them will be weighting previous years results at least some. No way around that. I don't think we're going to be ahead of the AAC or behind the MAC or CUSA in any reputable ranking system, so the big question is who is #2.

We're slightly behind the MWC in the Massey Composite, ahead of them in Sagarin (not by much).

Here's the F+ rankings for both leagues:
20. Coastal Carolina
25. App State
31. Louisiana

34. Boise State
53. San Diego St
70. Air Force
73. Nevada
74. Georgia Southern
77. Wyoming
79. San Jose St
85. Troy
87. Georgia State
89. Fresno State
99. Hawaii
100. Colorado State
103. Arkansas State
107. South Alabama
108. Texas State
116. Utah State
119. New Mexico
122. UNLV
124. ULM

That's an average of 76 for us, 86 for the MWC.
12-04-2020 09:30 AM
sdcritter Offline
All American

I Root For: stAte
As a supporter of the stAte program, I am so sad to see this. I'm used to us being at the top of any list of contributors in these rating lists I see every year. The natives are very restless because of this but I regret to say I don't see any groundswell of change coming from our administration.
12-04-2020 09:52 AM
T2003 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Troy & Auburn
(12-04-2020 09:52 AM)sdcritter Wrote:  As a supporter of the stAte program, I am so sad to see this. I'm used to us being at the top of any list of contributors in these rating lists I see every year. The natives are very restless because of this but I regret to say I don't see any groundswell of change coming from our administration.

Next year...
12-04-2020 11:29 AM
AppYosef Offline
2nd String

Looks to me like the SBC needs internal realignment... perhaps I’d feel differently if App and The Cajuns were to be swap divisions... automatic shoe in for conf champ game.....
12-04-2020 11:32 AM
Advertisement

balanced_view Offline
1st String

I Root For: Louisiana
(12-04-2020 11:32 AM)AppYosef Wrote:  Looks to me like the SBC needs internal realignment... perhaps I’d feel differently if App and The Cajuns were to be swap divisions... automatic shoe in for conf champ game.....

the tide is changing. in 2-3 years the west will look much stronger. the league will balance itself out in time.
12-04-2020 11:38 AM
CardinalBlackTrojan Offline

I Root For: TROY
(12-04-2020 11:38 AM)balanced_view Wrote:  
(12-04-2020 11:32 AM)AppYosef Wrote:  Looks to me like the SBC needs internal realignment... perhaps I’d feel differently if App and The Cajuns were to be swap divisions... automatic shoe in for conf champ game.....

the tide is changing. in 2-3 years the west will look much stronger. the league will balance itself out in time.

Let's not forget... the West is 2-0 versus the Big XII this year.
12-04-2020 12:52 PM
Appvette Offline
2nd String

(12-03-2020 11:47 PM)CardinalBlackTrojan Wrote:  I guess it depends on what metric the CFP uses. I don't really know how they determine that. Sagarin seems to be pretty well accepted among most people.

Realtime RPI:
#1 - SBC
#2 - American
#3 - Mountain West
#4 - MAC
#5 - CUSA

Sagarin Ratings:
#1 - American
#2 - SBC
#3 - Mountain West
#4 - MAC
#5 - CUSA

Good point on Sagarin being reversed. It looks close enough to me that whichever conference finishes strongest will take it. Amazing that SBC has gone from bottom dweller to having a chance at #1 in just a few years.
12-04-2020 01:05 PM
iStoopify Offline
Special Teams

(12-04-2020 11:38 AM)balanced_view Wrote:  

In what way is it changing? Seems to be trending down if anything.
12-04-2020 01:06 PM
slhNavy91 Online
Heisman

I Root For: Navy
(12-03-2020 07:03 PM)Appvette Wrote:  The Sun Belt is currently the #1 conference based on RPI. Can we finish #1 and get the top payout? Perhaps if Coastal gets the NY6 bowl and others finish strong?

I believe, RPI conference rankings are heavily dependent on out of conference play. Although AAC is 12-6 ooc, those three Sun Belt over BigXII wins look good, really good to such a system.

However, reports since 2014 have been that the non-contract-bowl-conference performance shares are based on compiling the six BCS computer rankings: Anderson&Hester, Billingsley, Colley, Massey, Sagarin, and Wolfe.

Wolfe has no ratings posted, awaiting sufficient inter-connectedness of results.

Using the other five, the average of average rankings is:

AAC: 58.6
SunBelt: 74.92
mwc: 81.99
CUSA: 88.62
MAC: 94.24

A lot of variability among the five given the different games played overall and the relative lack of out-of-conference. Sagarin skews this a little more, too, because the FCS are interspersed, and I just wasn't going to go back and figure out why each school over 130 was. Taking out Sagarin doesn't change the overall order or the magnitude of the gaps (AAC is farther ahead of SunBelt, than SunBelt is of mwc).
AAC tiebreakers, when they get past CFP rankings to compilation of computer rankings use only A&H, Billingsley, Colley, and Wolfe. Without Wolfe, that's only averaging three - as with removing Sagarin, doesn't change the overall order or the magnitude of the gaps. Barring upheaval, Cincinnati to the NY6 means AAC will get about $5million more than SunBelt, and SunBelt will get about $1.4million more than mwc.
12-04-2020 07:55 PM
Advertisement

Appvette Offline
2nd String

(12-04-2020 07:55 PM)slhNavy91 Wrote:  
(12-03-2020 07:03 PM)Appvette Wrote:  The Sun Belt is currently the #1 conference based on RPI. Can we finish #1 and get the top payout? Perhaps if Coastal gets the NY6 bowl and others finish strong?

I believe, RPI conference rankings are heavily dependent on out of conference play. Although AAC is 12-6 ooc, those three Sun Belt over BigXII wins look good, really good to such a system.

However, reports since 2014 have been that the non-contract-bowl-conference performance shares are based on compiling the six BCS computer rankings: Anderson&Hester, Billingsley, Colley, Massey, Sagarin, and Wolfe.

Wolfe has no ratings posted, awaiting sufficient inter-connectedness of results.

A lot of variability among the five given the different games played overall and the relative lack of out-of-conference. Sagarin skews this a little more, too, because the FCS are interspersed, and I just wasn't going to go back and figure out why each school over 130 was. Taking out Sagarin doesn't change the overall order or the magnitude of the gaps (AAC is farther ahead of SunBelt, than SunBelt is of mwc).
AAC tiebreakers, when they get past CFP rankings to compilation of computer rankings use only A&H, Billingsley, Colley, and Wolfe. Without Wolfe, that's only averaging three - as with removing Sagarin, doesn't change the overall order or the magnitude of the gaps. Barring upheaval, Cincinnati to the NY6 means AAC will get about $5million more than SunBelt, and SunBelt will get about $1.4million more than mwc.

Thanks for the info! I'll admit that I'll be happy with #2 given where SBC was 5 years ago.

But wouldn't the gap be even greater? Roughly $4m for NY6 and $3m+ for being #1
12-04-2020 08:09 PM
slhNavy91 Online
Heisman

I Root For: Navy
(12-04-2020 08:09 PM)Appvette Wrote:  

Thanks for the info! I'll admit that I'll be happy with #2 given where SBC was 5 years ago.

Reverse engineering the NCAA publishing CFP Revenue Distributions the last several years available...

Total to the group of five non-contract-bowl-conferences about $91M
The NY6 bid actually gets $4M to the conference and $2M+ for team expenses, distributed to the conference (I don't know if they have to itemize that for reimbursement, or what...and then I didn't mention it, sorry for shortcut).
Base is around $12.6M each conference.
Performance shares come to $1.4M+ each - 1 share to fifth place, 2 to fourth, 3 to third, 4 to second, 5 to first.

So in the 2018-19 year (2018 season), AAC got the NY6 bid but was second best for four shares -- $12.6M + $6.2M + $5.9M = $24.5M
mwc got 5 shares -- $12.6M + $7.35M= $20M
SunBelt was third for three shares -- 12.6M + $4,41 = $17M
That's all at https://ncaaorg.s3.amazonaws.com/champio...bution.pdf

In the 2017-18 year (2017 season), AAC got the NY6 bid and first overall for five shares total $25.6M.
mwc no bid, second overall was at $18.2M
SunBelt that year was fifth overall, base plus one share for $14M

NCAA has yet to post last year's distribution - it's been between April-July until this year. This frustrates me.
12-04-2020 08:45 PM
Appvette Offline
2nd String

(12-04-2020 08:45 PM)slhNavy91 Wrote:  
(12-04-2020 08:09 PM)Appvette Wrote:  

Reverse engineering the NCAA publishing CFP Revenue Distributions the last several years available...

Total to the group of five non-contract-bowl-conferences about $91M
The NY6 bid actually gets $4M to the conference and $2M+ for team expenses, distributed to the conference (I don't know if they have to itemize that for reimbursement, or what...and then I didn't mention it, sorry for shortcut).
Base is around $12.6M each conference.
Performance shares come to $1.4M+ each - 1 share to fifth place, 2 to fourth, 3 to third, 4 to second, 5 to first.

So in the 2018-19 year (2018 season), AAC got the NY6 bid but was second best for four shares -- $12.6M + $6.2M + $5.9M = $24.5M
mwc got 5 shares -- $12.6M + $7.35M= $20M
SunBelt was third for three shares -- 12.6M + $4,41 = $17M
That's all at https://ncaaorg.s3.amazonaws.com/champio...bution.pdf

In the 2017-18 year (2017 season), AAC got the NY6 bid and first overall for five shares total $25.6M.
mwc no bid, second overall was at $18.2M
SunBelt that year was fifth overall, base plus one share for $14M

NCAA has yet to post last year's distribution - it's been between April-July until this year. This frustrates me.

Ahhh, that $2m in expenses for NY6 was the part I was missing. Thanks!
12-05-2020 09:56 AM
doberman1 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: StAte
Coastal will have their hands full today. BYU is top 5 kind of good.
12-05-2020 12:31 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.