Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Hypothetical: If Nebraska permanently returned to the B12, who backfills in the B1G?
Once a Knight... Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UCF Knights
Hypothetical: If Nebraska permanently returned to the B12, who backfills in the B1G?
This is a realignment forum right? We love to discuss these sorts of scenarios in the off-season and while Nebraska to the B12 is likely only a 1 season deal, what if it truly was a permanent move, admitting they made the wrong decision to leave for the B1G in hindsight and using Covid as the excuse they need to "get out" and return to their former home.

The question here is, if Nebraska and one other (say BYU for sake of argument) were to become the 11th and 12th members of the B12, then would the B1G stand pat at 13, or would they attempt to backfill to get to 14 once more? If they decided to backfill who would be #14? Anyone move the needle?

For sake of argument I would assume the Big 12, back with 12 members would not be on the chopping block (except maybe WVU) and members like Texas and Oklahoma wouldn't be looking to jump ship (at least not right away).

To me Mizzou becomes the obvious choice, one I felt the B1G should've added during the last round of expansion. Question is, would Mizzou be willing to leave the SEC? They seem they could easily become natural rivals to Iowa and Illinois, and do bring a fairly large population state and good chunk of the KC and St. Louis markets (plus Springfield, and obviously Columbia).

It seems an existing ACC would be the choice if they could not steal away Mizzou. Which ACC school though? Would they try to further shore up the NE corridor with an add like Syracuse or Boston College, or would they even take another look at newly independent UConn for these very same reasons (plus basketball branding)? Who else makes sense? Cincinnati (probably not being too close to Ohio St and the Indiana schools), same thing about Louisville. Pitt? No new market there. Would VA Tech or any of the NC schools be interested? They seem pretty attached at the hip so likely not an option either. West Virginia? Guessing that one is a non-starter for other reasons. What say you?

Sent from my LM-G820 using CSNbbs mobile app
(This post was last modified: 08-12-2020 12:45 PM by Once a Knight....)
08-11-2020 10:16 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Pervis_Griffith Online
All American

I Root For: Louisville
RE: Hypothetical:. If Nebraska permanently returned to the B12, who backfills in the B1G?
Chicago.
08-11-2020 10:22 PM
Statefan Offline
Banned

I Root For: .
RE: Hypothetical:. If Nebraska permanently returned to the B12, who backfills in the B1G?
If the B10 loses Nebraska, they might not be able to hold Penn State.
08-11-2020 10:30 PM
Statefan Offline
Banned

I Root For: .
(08-11-2020 10:22 PM)Pervis_Griffith Wrote:  Chicago.

They will have to change their nickname.
08-11-2020 10:32 PM
IWokeUpLikeThis Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
Mizzou by default of not being able to get their other targets. Mizzou will make the move because of academics, cultural fit, the fact they recruit IL hard for students, and lack of exit fee.
08-11-2020 10:34 PM
Soobahk40050 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Tennessee
Missouri to the Big 10 actually makes more sense with Nebraska than without Nebraska. With Nebraska they have an old Big 8 team to partner with. They have an opportunity for Kansas/OK to join as well. Without Nebraska, I'd say that Big 10 is better off moving east and taking Syracuse. They are in the same boat as Nebraska as a former AAU, and the divisions might shift a little, but they make sense (assuming ACC schools are up for grabs). If ACC schools aren't up for grabs, maybe UConn after all? Or maybe just raid the PAC and get Washington or Oregon
08-11-2020 10:35 PM
Advertisement

IWokeUpLikeThis Online
Hall of Famer

Schools I think B1G would target that decline before settling on Mizzou:
Notre Dame
Texas
Oklahoma
North Carolina
Virginia
Georgia Tech
Syracuse

Syracuse *might* be shaken loose but the others will stand firm.
08-11-2020 10:38 PM
IWokeUpLikeThis Online
Hall of Famer

(08-11-2020 10:35 PM)Soobahk40050 Wrote:  Missouri to the Big 10 actually makes more sense with Nebraska than without Nebraska. With Nebraska they have an old Big 8 team to partner with. They have an opportunity for Kansas/OK to join as well. Without Nebraska, I'd say that Big 10 is better off moving east and taking Syracuse. They are in the same boat as Nebraska as a former AAU, and the divisions might shift a little, but they make sense (assuming ACC schools are up for grabs). If ACC schools aren't up for grabs, maybe UConn after all? Or maybe just raid the PAC and get Washington or Oregon

Syracuse would give them clean divisions. Puts both Indiana schools in the West eliminating any need for crossovers.
08-11-2020 10:39 PM
Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California
(08-11-2020 10:38 PM)IWokeUpLikeThis Wrote:  Schools I think B1G would target that decline before settling on Mizzou:
Notre Dame
Texas
Oklahoma
North Carolina
Virginia
Georgia Tech
Syracuse

The first three on your list would say no for sure. After that, who knows.

What happens if the Big Ten goes to UNC and says, "Here's your offer. You have 24 hours to accept. If you don't accept, we will just keep moving down our list of ACC members until one of them says yes." The Chapel Hill decision makers would know that someone is going to leave the ACC, and why sit around and watch another school pick up that extra $25 million a year in conference money when they could do it themselves?
08-11-2020 10:50 PM
Once a Knight... Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UCF Knights
Maybe a stretch here... But thoughts on Buffalo (if they couldn't get Syracuse) and wanted someone east?

08-11-2020 10:53 PM
upstatexmosquito Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Buffalo
(08-11-2020 10:53 PM)Once a Knight... Wrote:  Maybe a stretch here... But thoughts on Buffalo (if they couldn't get Syracuse) and wanted someone east?

Academically and culturally, Buffalo is a decent fit. AAU and the de facto flagship of SUNY. Athletically, definitely not.

I have a feeling if SUNY didn’t force them to drop D1 athletics in 1970, they would’ve wound up in the Big East and who knows how their athletics would’ve developed, maybe they’d be in the ACC or B1G today, or at the very least AAC.
08-11-2020 11:01 PM
Advertisement

UTEPDallas Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UTEP/Penn State
[i]
(08-11-2020 10:30 PM)Statefan Wrote:  If the B10 loses Nebraska, they might not be able to hold Penn State.

And where would Penn State go? The ACC? As I was told at an alumni gathering two years ago: “Penn State in the ACC is like a big fish surrounded by small fish.”

Unlike Nebraska, Penn State is a Big Ten school. PSU just finished a 2-2 with Pitt and it’s getting a 1-1 with West Virginia. PSU won’t give up their annual games against Ohio State, Michigan and Michigan State plus exposure in the New York to Washington corridor for anything the ACC offers.
(This post was last modified: 08-11-2020 11:20 PM by UTEPDallas.)
08-11-2020 11:19 PM
UTEPDallas Offline
Heisman

(08-11-2020 10:50 PM)Wedge Wrote:  
(08-11-2020 10:38 PM)IWokeUpLikeThis Wrote:  Schools I think B1G would target that decline before settling on Mizzou:
Notre Dame
Texas
Oklahoma
North Carolina
Virginia
Georgia Tech
Syracuse

The first three on your list would say no for sure. After that, who knows.

What happens if the Big Ten goes to UNC and says, "Here's your offer. You have 24 hours to accept. If you don't accept, we will just keep moving down our list of ACC members until one of them says yes." The Chapel Hill decision makers would know that someone is going to leave the ACC, and why sit around and watch another school pick up that extra $25 million a year in conference money when they could do it themselves?

Virginia and North Carolina fit the Big Ten profile. They’d be the primary targets. Pitt, Syracuse and Boston College don’t really add anything to the Big Ten. Louisville would never be considered. Georgia Tech could be a possibility.
08-11-2020 11:24 PM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
(08-11-2020 10:16 PM)Once a Knight... Wrote:  This is a realignment forum right? We love to discuss these sorts of scenarios in the off-season and while Nebraska to the B12 is likely only a 1 season deal, what if it truly was a permanent move, admitting they made the wrong decision to leave for the B1G in hindsight and using Covid as the excuse they need to "get out" and return to their former home.

The question here is, if Nebraska and one other (say BYU for sake of argument) were to become the 11th and 12th members of the B12, then would the B1G stand pat at 13, or would they attempt to backfill to get to 14 once more? If they decided to backfill who would be #14? Anyone move the needle?

For sake of argument I would assume the Big 12, back with 12 members would not be on the chopping block (except maybe WVU) and members like Texas and Oklahoma wouldn't be looking to jump ship (at least not right away).

To me Mizzou becomes the obvious choice, one I felt the B1G should've added during the last round of expansion. Question is, would Mizzou be willing to leave the SEC? They seem they could easily become natural rivals to Iowa and Illinois, and do bring a fairly large population state and good chunk of the KC and St. Louis markets (plus Springfield, and obviously Columbia).

It seems an existing ACC would be the choice if they could not steal away Mizzou. Which ACC school though? Would they try to further shore up the NE corridor with an add like Syracuse or Boston College, or would they even take another look at newly independent UConn for these very same reasons (plus basketball branding)? Who else makes sense? Cincinnati (probably not being too close to Ohio St and the Indiana schools), same thing about Louisville. Pitt? No new market there. Would VA Tech or any of the NC schools be interested? They seem pretty attached at the hip so likely not an option either. West Virginia? Guessing that one is a non-starter for other reasons. What say you?

Nebraska makes a ton more money in the Big10. They arent going anywhere.
08-11-2020 11:39 PM
UTEPDallas Offline
Heisman

(08-11-2020 11:39 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  
(08-11-2020 10:16 PM)Once a Knight... Wrote:  This is a realignment forum right? We love to discuss these sorts of scenarios in the off-season and while Nebraska to the B12 is likely only a 1 season deal, what if it truly was a permanent move, admitting they made the wrong decision to leave for the B1G in hindsight and using Covid as the excuse they need to "get out" and return to their former home.

Nebraska makes a ton more money in the Big10. They arent going anywhere.

Nebraska is not going anywhere. If nothing changes, they’ll make over $50 million a year in the Big Ten tv deal. You don’t leave the stability of the B1G for a Texas led Big XII that they tried to get away from. There’s a better possibility of Missouri going back to the Big XII and that’s not happening either.

But I’m not going to lie. It’d be interesting to see Nebraska have a Big 8 reunion with Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Kansas, K-State and Iowa State even if it’s just for a year. Same with Notre Dame playing a full ACC schedule this year.
08-11-2020 11:59 PM
schmolik Offline
CSNBB's Big 10 Cheerleader

I Root For: UIUC, PSU, Nova
(08-11-2020 10:30 PM)Statefan Wrote:  If the B10 loses Nebraska, they might not be able to hold Penn State.

Why? I want Nebraska gone. Furthest geographical member and they wouldn't share the 1994 championship with us.
08-12-2020 05:08 AM
Advertisement

schmolik Offline
CSNBB's Big 10 Cheerleader

I Root For: UIUC, PSU, Nova
If Iowa leaves with Nebraska, stand pat at 12 and enjoy two fewer mouths to feed and no schools on the wrong side of the river.

Obviously there would be a ton of ACC schools that I would want. Assume none of them break the GOR.

If Nebraska only leaves, make a run at Missouri (I know they're West but they at least border the river as opposed to Nebraska). Maybe Kentucky?

Then we're down to non P5. I'd say UConn. Yes, their football sucks but who's left? Temple? Cincinnati? UConn at least brings a new market and the best academics. I would love Temple and Penn State is pretty far away from Philly (almost 200 miles between Beaver Stadium and Lincoln Financial Field).
08-12-2020 05:16 AM
CardinalJim Offline
Welcome to The New Age

(08-11-2020 11:19 PM)UTEPDallas Wrote:  [i]

And where would Penn State go? The ACC? As I was told at an alumni gathering two years ago: “Penn State in the ACC is like a big fish surrounded by small fish.”

Unlike Nebraska, Penn State is a Big Ten school. PSU just finished a 2-2 with Pitt and it’s getting a 1-1 with West Virginia. PSU won’t give up their annual games against Ohio State, Michigan and Michigan State plus exposure in the New York to Washington corridor for anything the ACC offers.

It must have been an old alumni. It’s been nearly 35 years since Penn State won a national title in anything. They’ve been Ohio State’s b itch since 1993. They haven’t beaten OSU in back to back seasons since joining The Big Ten. They have lost 7 of the last 8 to OSU.

Granted Penn State was a once proud program. For you to carry a quote from some leather helmet codger here referring to Penn State a “Big Fish” shows how out of touch you are with college football.
08-12-2020 05:28 AM
CardinalJim Offline
Welcome to The New Age

(08-12-2020 05:16 AM)schmolik Wrote:  If Iowa leaves with Nebraska, stand pat at 12 and enjoy two fewer mouths to feed and no schools on the wrong side of the river.

Obviously there would be a ton of ACC schools that I would want. Assume none of them break the GOR.

If Nebraska only leaves, make a run at Missouri (I know they're West but they at least border the river as opposed to Nebraska). Maybe Kentucky?

Then we're down to non P5. I'd say UConn. Yes, their football sucks but who's left? Temple? Cincinnati? UConn at least brings a new market and the best academics. I would love Temple and Penn State is pretty far away from Philly (almost 200 miles between Beaver Stadium and Lincoln Financial Field).

Kentucky might be across the river from Big Ten states but the cultural divide between Kentucky and The Big Ten is much much wider.

UK would be more of a cultural outliner in The Big Ten than Missouri is in The SEC. UK would never leave The SEC.
08-12-2020 05:34 AM
HiddenDragon Offline
Banned

I Root For:
BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
Even in a hypothetical world the Big 12 wouldn't take Nebraska back, at least not by themselves.
08-12-2020 05:39 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.