Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

AAC commish complains App is ranked over SMU
Bookmark and Share
EigenEagle Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Ga Southern
AAC commish complains App is ranked over SMU
https://www.espn.com/college-football/st...f-rankings

Quote:Aresco took particular exception to No. 25 SMU's ranking behind No. 24 Appalachian State this week. He also disagreed with the Mustangs sitting behind No. 20 Boise State and two four-loss Power 5 teams, No. 22 Iowa State and No. 23 USC.

Why does he take issue with SMU being behind App? They've got a close win over a 5-5 P5 team, and they barely beat a 6-4 Sun Belt team.

Quote:Aresco had multiple facts at his fingertips in a call with ESPN on Wednesday to help illustrate the strength of the AAC, which is 14-1 this year against the other Group of 5 conferences (4-0 against the Sun Belt, 3-0 against the Mountain West, 6-0 vs. C-USA and 1-1 vs. MAC). The only loss was Temple's loss to Buffalo.

Here's the SBC versus AAC games with conference records.
Memphis (5-1) over South Alabama (0-6) and ULM (3-3
SMU (5-1) barely over Ark State (4-2) and Texas State (2-4)

People ask me why I can't muster a single tear to shed for UCF for being left out of the CFP, this is it. What has the AAC done this season to even warrant better CFP rankigns than they've had? All of the P5 teams they've beaten are mediocre or bad. There's literally nothing any AAC has done that tells me they're better than App or Boise State.
(This post was last modified: 11-21-2019 08:05 PM by EigenEagle.)
11-21-2019 04:46 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

moehler Offline
1st String

I Root For: App State
RE: AAC commish complainins App is ranked over SMU
He can ***** and moan all he wants, not going to going to change the fact that SMU is probably done with any chance to land the Cotton bowl, he is also a hypocrite, he argues that both Boise and APP aren’t deserving because of our schedule, but that same argument works against SMU with Iowa State and USC which he forgets to mention, selective memory.
11-21-2019 05:04 PM
3333 Man Offline
Water Engineer

Man is entitled to his opinion, but I don't buy his argument. I think if App had the Memphis or SMU schedule, we would likely be undefeated at this point. I think if we had played Cincy's schedule, we are likely 9-1 like they are now. Hard to see how we could beat Ohio State. Again, he is coping an attitude about us like the P5s have about his members. Pot, meet kettle.
11-21-2019 05:39 PM
Apps6920 Offline
2nd String

If we had any kind of commish they would respond. Low blow comment to the whole conference
11-21-2019 07:36 PM
sdcritter Offline
All American

I Root For: stAte
RE: AAC commish complains App is ranked over SMU
Poor baby. I feel bad for him and those wanna be's in the aAc. The Pee-ew! conference have an atrocious bowl record against their peer conferences and yet they continue this BS. No one is buying it. And the fact that their commish has to attack shows just how weak they really are.
11-21-2019 08:31 PM
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
Having seen both SMU and App, App is slightly better. Especially defensively
11-21-2019 10:43 PM
Advertisement

eagleskins Offline
1st String

I Root For: GSU
The real story is why is Georgia ranked 4 with a loss at home to an 8 loss team that was using their third string QB. That is the angle he should be attacking.
11-22-2019 02:07 AM
AppManDG Offline
Heisman

Tougher schedule? SMU has 2 wins over teams with wining records, one being AState. They beat 5-5 TCU for a P5 win, took 3 OT's to beat 3-7 Tulsa and gave up 51 points to 3-7 ECU a week ago.
11-22-2019 07:56 AM
TrueBlueDrew Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jawjuh Suthen
(11-21-2019 07:36 PM)Apps6920 Wrote:  If we had any kind of commish they would respond. Low blow comment to the whole conference
Have not been impressed with our new commissioner so far.
11-22-2019 08:14 AM
Georgia_Power_Company Offline
All American

I Root For: GA Southern
(11-22-2019 08:14 AM)TrueBlueDrew Wrote:  
(11-21-2019 07:36 PM)Apps6920 Wrote:  If we had any kind of commish they would respond. Low blow comment to the whole conference

I agree with both of these statements!
11-22-2019 08:26 AM
Yosef Himself Offline
Heisman

And what has the commissioner done to receive such a low opinion from the GaSo fans?
11-22-2019 08:42 AM
Advertisement

ChiefGSU275 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: GS EAGLES!
(11-22-2019 08:42 AM)Yosef Himself Wrote:  And what has the commissioner done to receive such a low opinion from the GaSo fans?

Well for starters he was IN STATESBORO attending one of our games and referred to us as Georgia State. So he's got that going for him.
11-22-2019 09:03 AM
Yosef Himself Offline
Heisman

Well now I like him even more.
11-22-2019 09:10 AM
iStoopify Offline
Special Teams

If our commish doesn't respond he is not doing his job to rep the conference. If he doesn't, he's being a good boy for his owners to get him a "better" job in the future. This is an open insult to the entire SBC and he should be out there responding. Aresco is doing his job to hype up his 2-loss conference champ; ours should be out there hyping up its (maybe) 1-loss conference champ.
11-22-2019 09:31 AM
ballantyneapp Offline
All American

I Root For: App
(11-22-2019 09:31 AM)iStoopify Wrote:  If our commish doesn't respond he is not doing his job to rep the conference. If he doesn't, he's being a good boy for his owners to get him a "better" job in the future. This is an open insult to the entire SBC and he should be out there responding. Aresco is doing his job to hype up his 2-loss conference champ; ours should be out there hyping up its (maybe) 1-loss conference champ.

well this is true but Aresco also has a bigger platform to rep than we do. jury is out on if Gill is a good commisioner or not, but he certainly doesn't have a large media presence.

That being said if he can quietly steer our bball programs to more success and negotiate better bowl tie outs, i'll think hes successful.
11-22-2019 10:14 AM
TheOriginalBigApp Offline
1st String

I Root For: Appalachian
(11-22-2019 08:14 AM)TrueBlueDrew Wrote:  

I'd actually forgotten we had a new commissioner. 03-idea Dude's been invisible.
11-22-2019 10:15 AM
Advertisement

Yosef Himself Offline
Heisman

I think his main goal at the moment is Bowl Tie-ins and working with each school to make sure the BBall schedule is not dumpy.

When the conference announces the 2020 Bowl lineup then we'll see how effective he's been.
11-22-2019 10:36 AM
EigenEagle Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Ga Southern
In my mind, the agenda of the commish (in no particular order) is:
1. Protecting and preserving men's soccer.
2. Improving bowl tie-ins.
3. Opposing the monumentally stupid idea of reorganizing SBC and CUSA geographically (we should be talking about how to get non-media-market CUSA members on board instead).
4. Get presidents to do something about the fiscal black hole that is the MBB tournament.
5. Be in the media and advocate for the league.

I have no idea what he's doing about 1-4 so far but he isn't doing well on #5. as he even done Jonesboro radio interviews like Karl did or have our Ark State posters just not posted them? He needs to be more visible and openly advocating for the conference.
(This post was last modified: 11-22-2019 10:51 AM by EigenEagle.)
11-22-2019 10:50 AM
Yosef Himself Offline
Heisman

(11-22-2019 10:50 AM)EigenEagle Wrote:  In my mind, the agenda of the commish (in no particular order) is:
1. Protecting and preserving men's soccer.
2. Improving bowl tie-ins.
3. Opposing the monumentally stupid idea of reorganizing SBC and CUSA geographically (we should be talking about how to get non-media-market CUSA members on board instead).
4. Get presidents to do something about the fiscal black hole that is the MBB tournament.
5. Be in the media and advocate for the league.

I have no idea what he's doing about 1-4 so far but he isn't doing well on #5. as he even done Jonesboro radio interviews like Karl did or have our Ark State posters just not posted them? He needs to be more visible and openly advocating for the conference.

1. Soccer is stabilized at the moment. But would be great if one or two more members actually sponsored the sport, like ArkSt and/or Troy.

2. Again, we're stable with decent tie-ins, in our region, for our teams. The commissioner should be working with the Bowls and Media Partners to see if we can get a better opponent for our current bowls. See if we can get some extra cash for the NOLA payout and attract a SEC/B12/ACC/AAC tie-in for the bowl.

3. Yep. Screw reorganizing.

4. The BBall tourney should rotate between ATL and NOLA.
11-22-2019 10:56 AM
ericsaid Offline
Heisman

I Root For: App. State/ECU
I like the point of the story, "there is a double standard when ranking G5 programs". Aresco claims this then goes on to say every AAC team should be ranked above App.

App didn't almost lose to two sub-100 teams in Tulsa and ECU, Aresco. If anything, complain about 22 and 23.
11-22-2019 11:48 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.