Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

****Charlotte @ App. St., ESPN+ 3:30pm Saturday****
Bookmark and Share
ericsaid Offline
Heisman

I Root For: App. State/ECU
****Charlotte @ App. St., ESPN+ 3:30pm Saturday****
(09-02-2019 01:44 PM)THUNDERStruck73 Wrote:  There are two lines this week that appear to be a tad high imho. After Rice gave Army fits at Army, i did not expect to see that big of a spread. I also feel Charlotte is getting low balled. After having a pretty good rush defense, i think they have a puncher’s shot if they can shut down App’s run game.

They couldn't stop Gardner Webb's run game....Gardner Webb...GWU....the runnin' bulldogs of Hot Springs.

That's a hot take.

Charlotte will have a punchers chance if they can run the ball and force turnovers. Turning this into a high scoring game. If their offense can't get going, App likely does what they did to ETSU and slowly, methodically, wearing Charlotte down until you wonder how the score got to be 45-7.

Note: I think Charlotte would be favored by less than a touchdown over ETSU. They haven't really improved and have the same issues that they had last season under Lambert.
(This post was last modified: 09-04-2019 07:45 AM by 49RFootballNow.)
09-03-2019 09:25 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ericsaid Offline
Heisman

RE: *****CUSA Lines In The Sand - Week 2*****
(09-02-2019 05:03 PM)ghostofclt! Wrote:  clt loves Charlotte outright

You boys have a good bit of confidence after that win against the power house that is Gardner Webb, huh?
09-03-2019 09:27 AM
49RFootballNow Offline
He who walks without rhythm

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers
RE: *****CUSA Lines In The Sand - Week 2*****
(09-03-2019 09:27 AM)ericsaid Wrote:  
(09-02-2019 05:03 PM)ghostofclt! Wrote:  clt loves Charlotte outright

You boys have a good bit of confidence after that win against the power house that is Gardner Webb, huh?

We showed no cards in that game just like you didn't with ETSU. 50 players played for Charlotte Thursday night, that means 2nd and 3rd strings played a lot. This was just a glorified tune-up scrimmage, just like your game.

https://charlotte49ers.com/documents/201...LTFB01.pdf
09-03-2019 10:37 AM
49RFootballNow Offline

RE: ****Charlotte (1-0) @ App. St. (1-0), 3:30pm Saturday****
ESPN+

Line: App -21.5
09-03-2019 10:44 AM
49RFootballNow Offline

(09-03-2019 09:25 AM)ericsaid Wrote:  Note: I think Charlotte would be favored by less than a touchdown over ETSU. They haven't really improved and have the same issues that they had last season under Lambert.

Don't look like the polls think ETSU is the same team they were last year either:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_NCAA_...l_rankings

Only picked 3rd in the SoCon:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_East_...tball_team

Of course they played App, so I'm sure it's just a mistake they aren't ranked up there with JMU and NDSU.
(This post was last modified: 09-03-2019 11:03 AM by 49RFootballNow.)
09-03-2019 11:02 AM
ericsaid Offline
Heisman

(09-03-2019 11:02 AM)49RFootballNow Wrote:  
(09-03-2019 09:25 AM)ericsaid Wrote:  Note: I think Charlotte would be favored by less than a touchdown over ETSU. They haven't really improved and have the same issues that they had last season under Lambert.

Don't look like the polls think ETSU is the same team they were last year either:

Of course they played App, so I'm sure it's just a mistake they aren't ranked up there with JMU and NDSU.

ETSU has what appears to be a future NFL running back in Quay Holmes and almost certainly a draft pick at defensive end. They also have three All-Conference performers at linebacker and two defensive backs, I believe.

Randy Sanders is their coach as well. He really should have been looked at in Charlotte rather than who you ended up picking.

App was rotating 2nd and 3rd string guys in beginning in the 1st quarter. The only two players on defense I didn't see sub out that often were Jordan Fehr and Josh Thomas (two future NFL guys). For the most part, it appears App was using this game to evaluate the depth chart going forward. Considering this is a new coaching staff who needs to evaluate their scheme and see how it operates in live game action, this makes sense.

My question for Charlotte fans is where is all this hubris for the game against App coming from? What has changed other than your coach? Giving up 28, even if playing 2nd string guys on defense (App does this regularly because there is a rotation), to Gardner Webb would be a cause for concern for any fans expecting any sort of success from their team.

Assuming App cleans up some of the errors from last week and can start to play faster, this game shouldn't be close. App's defense is pretty much the same, off zone DB's with pressure up the middle and off the edges. Special teams appears to be more nuanced than in years past.
09-03-2019 11:28 AM
Advertisement

ImfromClayton Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Charlotte
Sitting here arguing with an appy that clearly didn't watch our game is not an intelligent decision gents.

"Never argue with a fool, onlookers won't be able to tell the difference"

but i will ask, what hubris are you referring to? Y'all cook up some good ones on the mountain.
(This post was last modified: 09-03-2019 11:35 AM by ImfromClayton.)
09-03-2019 11:33 AM
va-eagle Offline
1st String

I Root For: Southern Miss
(09-03-2019 11:28 AM)ericsaid Wrote:  

ETSU has what appears to be a future NFL running back in Quay Holmes and almost certainly a draft pick at defensive end. They also have three All-Conference performers at linebacker and two defensive backs, I believe.

Randy Sanders is their coach as well. He really should have been looked at in Charlotte rather than who you ended up picking.

App was rotating 2nd and 3rd string guys in beginning in the 1st quarter. The only two players on defense I didn't see sub out that often were Jordan Fehr and Josh Thomas (two future NFL guys). For the most part, it appears App was using this game to evaluate the depth chart going forward. Considering this is a new coaching staff who needs to evaluate their scheme and see how it operates in live game action, this makes sense.

My question for Charlotte fans is where is all this hubris for the game against App coming from? What has changed other than your coach? Giving up 28, even if playing 2nd string guys on defense (App does this regularly because there is a rotation), to Gardner Webb would be a cause for concern for any fans expecting any sort of success from their team.

Assuming App cleans up some of the errors from last week and can start to play faster, this game shouldn't be close. App's defense is pretty much the same, off zone DB's with pressure up the middle and off the edges. Special teams appears to be more nuanced than in years past.

EVERY team subs frequently on defense.

Is this why you started a thread on the CUSA board? You are just proving what Charlotte fans say about App fans is true.
09-03-2019 11:40 AM
49RFootballNow Offline

(09-03-2019 11:40 AM)va-eagle Wrote:  EVERY team subs frequently on defense.

Is this why you started a thread on the CUSA board? You are just proving what Charlotte fans say about App fans is true.

In his defense he didn't start this thread, I moved his comments from another unrelated tread and started this one with them. Didn't want other topics becoming dumping grounds for Charlotte vs. App. St. stuff.
(This post was last modified: 09-03-2019 11:44 AM by 49RFootballNow.)
09-03-2019 11:41 AM
va-eagle Offline
1st String

I Root For: Southern Miss
(09-03-2019 11:41 AM)49RFootballNow Wrote:  

In his defense he didn't start this thread, I moved his comments from another unrelated tread and started this one with them. Didn't want other topics becoming dumping grounds for Charlotte vs. App. St. stuff.

I didn't know that was possible. Thanks for the clarification.

ericsaid... apologies.
09-03-2019 11:52 AM
Yosef Himself Offline
Heisman

I Root For: App State
I think the spread is a bit high.

I think App wins by 14.
09-03-2019 11:56 AM
Advertisement

ericsaid Offline
Heisman

(09-03-2019 11:33 AM)ImfromClayton Wrote:  Sitting here arguing with an appy that clearly didn't watch our game is not an intelligent decision gents.

but i will ask, what hubris are you referring to? Y'all cook up some good ones on the mountain.

I watched your game in its entirety last night. People who I routinely engage with make the assumption that, as a fan on a message board, I don't watch games and only seek argument.

I'm genuinely wondering why fans on your team specific board and this conference board believe the outcome of the game, in Boone, will be any different than it was in Charlotte last season? Charlotte ended up being better than most App fans, and football fans in general, believed they would be by seasons end 2018. However, you came out and gave up 21 defensive points to Gardner Webb while allowing 4.5 yards per carry. You also had 3 interceptions thrown on offense, indicating your quarterback play has not improved.
09-03-2019 11:59 AM
ericsaid Offline
Heisman

(09-03-2019 11:52 AM)va-eagle Wrote:  
(09-03-2019 11:41 AM)49RFootballNow Wrote:  

I didn't know that was possible. Thanks for the clarification.

ericsaid... apologies.

04-cheers
09-03-2019 12:00 PM
ericsaid Offline
Heisman

(09-03-2019 11:56 AM)Yosef Himself Wrote:  I think the spread is a bit high.

I think App wins by 14.

Why?

Serious question and in no way suggesting App will cover or not cover 14. Just wondering if there is some reason for concern, on other App fans parts, that I'm missing here.

I'm always wary of lines that are -21 against peer conference programs of any school. However, I also like to see detail of why.

TEAMRANKINGS has a score of 37 to 14. numberFire has a score of 37 - 12. Looks like more money is flowing to App at -21 as Vegas moved the line to -21.5, back to -21, and it now sits at -22.0. Numberfire showing 65.5% odds of App covering -21.5.
(This post was last modified: 09-03-2019 12:04 PM by ericsaid.)
09-03-2019 12:03 PM
Yosef Himself Offline
Heisman

(09-03-2019 12:03 PM)ericsaid Wrote:  
(09-03-2019 11:56 AM)Yosef Himself Wrote:  I think the spread is a bit high.

I think App wins by 14.

Why?

Because I think that App is still working through some changes in both Def/Off that will allow UNCC to keep it closer than the vegas line.

I think App will come into the game without opening the full playbook. Sutton is still out. Peoples will be out.

I'd be super happy if App beat the spread. But I just think it's a two score game.
09-03-2019 12:12 PM
Tintin Offline
1st String

(09-03-2019 11:28 AM)ericsaid Wrote:  

Charlotte’s defense gave up 51 yards and one first down in the first half wit the A team in.

7 points were on a poorly covered kickoff (they covered the next one just a poorly, I hope someone smarter than me is watching film or that could be a problem), 7 points were scored on an interception return to the five. 7 points were scored on the last team in playing out the string.
09-03-2019 12:14 PM
Advertisement

ImfromClayton Offline
Special Teams

You just present your opinions in an extremely biased fashion. That's why people assume that.

I have yet to find a Charlotte fan that thinks we are going to win. CLT is a schtick. He's been doing that since the 90's. I wouldn't expect you to know that, because I'm sure you weren't rooting for app in the 90's. nobody was. The fact that you don't get the joke makes me question your intelligence, and part of why we poke fun at App degrees. And ECU degrees. Don't say that you get the joke, because it's what you referred to as "hubris."

https://forums.ninernation.net/t/clt-sta...e/34076/56

That's the thread. Don't see much hemming and hawing going on.

Reasons why I think the game will be CLOSER than last year:

1) As you will see in the thread, I don't think we are going to win. I want to make that clear.

2) You guys lost 6 very talented players on defense. It's very hard to maintain that level of success following a departure such as that.

3) Drink is a good playcaller, but Scott Satterfield is a program altering type of coach. You lost him. Bryan Brown was a very underrated D coordinator. You lost him as well. Ted Roof is not as good at his job as Bryan Brown

4) Your best player is suspended, and it's a questionable decision at best. I wonder how it went over in the locker room.

5) You guys have a huge game following your game with us.

6) We replaced absolutely the worst in game coach I have ever witnessed. I have no clue if Healy is a good in game coach yet, but it can't get worse.

Next List: Reasons I don't think you watched our game:
A) 2 of our three picks literally hit receivers in the face.
B) GW didn't have a sustained drive until late in the 3rd quarter. If this were app you'd say "bUt ThE sUbZ wErE iN" because it's us, you say Gardner Webb shoved it down our throat like the 85 bears.
C) for some reason you assume only appalachian state makes defensive substitutions.
09-03-2019 12:25 PM
moehler Offline
1st String

21.5 seems too high, watched the first half of the GW game, and yes I know it was GW but overall the 49ers looked improved over last yr. It seems the best chance for UNCC to stay somewhat close is to use the same game plan as ETSU, use up most of the clock before hiking the ball, short quick passes, and get into 3rd and less than 5, pickup first down, repeat. It worked so well we only had 5 possessions in the first half. If you guys are successful running this kind of offense, you should be able to make this somewhat of a competitive game.
09-03-2019 12:26 PM
Tintin Offline
1st String

(09-03-2019 11:59 AM)ericsaid Wrote:  
(09-03-2019 11:33 AM)ImfromClayton Wrote:  Sitting here arguing with an appy that clearly didn't watch our game is not an intelligent decision gents.

I watched your game in its entirety last night. People who I routinely engage with make the assumption that, as a fan on a message board, I don't watch games and only seek argument.

I'm genuinely wondering why fans on your team specific board and this conference board believe the outcome of the game, in Boone, will be any different than it was in Charlotte last season? Charlotte ended up being better than most App fans, and football fans in general, believed they would be by seasons end 2018. However, you came out and gave up 21 defensive points to Gardner Webb while allowing 4.5 yards per carry. You also had 3 interceptions thrown on offense, indicating your quarterback play has not improved.

GW had 25% of their offense and 33% of their rushing yards in a garbage Drive in the 4th quarter. I would imagine that last drive tacked a yard on the yards per carry.
Lemay didn’t play the second half. Half of the starters on defense didn’t play much ch more than the first drive of the second half.

There’s no need to Maryland an FCS school.
09-03-2019 12:28 PM
Yosef Himself Offline
Heisman

GW is also one of the worst FCS teams. Period. They've won 24 games total in the last 6 years with their current coach. It's hard to judge UNCC at all based on that one game.
09-03-2019 12:32 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.