Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Big 10 network could be pulled out of even big 10 markets
billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

I Root For: ECU, Army
Big 10 network could be pulled out of even big 10 markets
If the rumors are true, the big 10 made a WAC 16 mistake by adding Rutgers, and Maryland. The whole conference tv network concept is going to fall apart. One could argue that conference alignment was initiated because of the Big 10 network.
07-25-2018 01:48 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

YNot Offline
All American

I Root For: BYU
RE: Big 10 network could be pulled out of even big 10 markets
I'm sure the B1G has enjoyed non-TV benefits by having Penn St., Ohio St. and Michigan play in New Jersey and Maryland. What are they and what value do they provide to the conference and its legacy members?
07-25-2018 01:51 PM
billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

(07-25-2018 01:51 PM)YNot Wrote:  I'm sure the B1G has enjoyed non-TV benefits by having Penn St., Ohio St. and Michigan play in New Jersey and Maryland. What are they and what value do they provide to the conference and its legacy members?

Recruiting gains. But the legacy members aren’t playing every year any more. How did BYU like getting split off from AF, Wyoming and Colorado St? They hated it so much that 2 years later they created the MWC.
07-25-2018 02:03 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
(07-25-2018 02:03 PM)billybobby777 Wrote:  
(07-25-2018 01:51 PM)YNot Wrote:  I'm sure the B1G has enjoyed non-TV benefits by having Penn St., Ohio St. and Michigan play in New Jersey and Maryland. What are they and what value do they provide to the conference and its legacy members?

Recruiting gains. But the legacy members aren’t playing every year any more. How did BYU like getting split off from AF, Wyoming and Colorado St? They hated it so much that 2 years later they created the MWC.

Rutgers and Maryland look about as solid now as rust peeking through the bondo!
07-25-2018 02:51 PM
megadrone Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rutgers
(07-25-2018 02:51 PM)JRsec Wrote:  

I'll be the first to admit that my alma mater was added due to the millions of eyeballs in NJ, but a new business model will emerge.
07-25-2018 02:53 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(07-25-2018 02:53 PM)megadrone Wrote:  

I'll be the first to admit that my alma mater was added due to the millions of eyeballs in NJ, but a new business model will emerge.

It has already and this is just the beginning of the transition. What would be interesting, and feasible, would be if Comcast dropped the BTN and FOX, which may be as AllTideUP has pointed out retribution for the failed bid on the FOX RSN's, or leverage to acquire a piece of Sky, if FOX then sublet the BTN to ESPN who would then pick up the broadcast to those states. Would that be the ultimate Mouse thumb in the eye for Comcast or what?

Why would ESPN do this? A bundle of the BTN/SECN and their newly proposed ACCN might get the carriage needed when leveraged together.
07-25-2018 03:43 PM
Advertisement

cuseroc Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: Syracuse

Donators

03-lmfao 03-lmfao 03-lmfao
07-25-2018 03:54 PM
billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

Hahahahaha

But In all seriousness they are good. Unless the Big 10 originals pull a WAC 16 and form their own conference minus Rutgers, Maryland, Nebraska and Purdue or Northwestern. As a native Iowan with Hawkeye blood in me, that’s the 9 team conference I want:
The New Big 10-1= Iowa, Illinois, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Indiana, Michigan, Michigan St, Ohio St, Penn St
Nebraska can rejoin the Big 12. The other 4 can join the new northern wing of the AAC with UConn, Temple, Cincinnati and Navy.
(This post was last modified: 07-25-2018 04:25 PM by billybobby777.)
07-25-2018 04:24 PM
DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
(07-25-2018 04:24 PM)billybobby777 Wrote:  

Hahahahaha

But In all seriousness they are good. Unless the Big 10 originals pull a WAC 16 and form their own conference minus Rutgers, Maryland, Nebraska and Purdue or Northwestern. As a native Iowan with Hawkeye blood in me, that’s the 9 team conference I want:
The New Big 10-1= Iowa, Illinois, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Indiana, Michigan, Michigan St, Ohio St, Penn St
Nebraska can rejoin the Big 12. The other 4 can join the new northern wing of the AAC with UConn, Temple, Cincinnati and Navy.

Michigan State was not an original. They were being blocked from joining the Big 10 for some time until they finally let them in. University of Chicago was an original, and Penn. State was not. So, your statement about originals is not correct since 2 schools you have listed are 2 of the last four schools that were invited into the Bog 10.

Illinois 1896
Minnesota 1896
Northwestern 1896
Purdue 1896
Wisconsin 1896
Michigan 1896
Chicago 1896
Those where the original founders.
Indiana 1899
Iowa 1899 and was in the MVC at the same time for a while.
Ohio State 1912
Michigan State 1950
Penn State 1990
Nebraska 2011
Maryland 2014
Rutgers 2014

So, that is the order of who was in the Big 10 at the year that they joined.
07-25-2018 04:36 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

Hahahahaha

To cut to the chase we could be looking at a radical move before this is over with a plan from circa 1972:

West: Arizona, Arizona State, California, Oregon, USC, Stanford, U.C.L.A., Washington

South: Alabama, Auburn, Arkansas, L.S.U., Missouri, Oklahoma, Texas, Texas A&M

East: Clemson, Florida, Florida State, Georgia, N.C. State, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia Tech

North: Iowa, Michigan, Michigan State, Nebraska, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Penn State, Wisconsin

Those 32 in one conference of 4 divisions negotiating their TV contact as 1.

That would be your upper tier. Perhaps Ole Miss instead of Missouri but Mizzou has the bigger market. Perhaps North Carolina instead of N.C. State if the Heels get serious about football.
(This post was last modified: 07-25-2018 04:43 PM by JRsec.)
07-25-2018 04:40 PM
cubucks Offline
All American

I Root For: tOSU/UNL/Ohio
(07-25-2018 04:40 PM)JRsec Wrote:  

Hahahahaha

To cut to the chase we could be looking at a radical move before this is over with circa a plan from 1972:

West: Arizona, Arizona State, California, Oregon, USC, Stanford, U.C.L.A., Washington

East: Clemson, Florida, Florida State, Georgia, N.C. State, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia Tech

North: Iowa, Michigan, Michigan State, Nebraska, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Penn State, Wisconsin

That would be your upper tier. Perhaps Ole Miss instead of Missouri but Mizzou has the bigger market. Perhaps North Carolina instead of N.C. State if the Heels get serious about football.
Exactly, it's a warning to all conference networks and everybody is taking notice. Markets are meaning very little and it's all about matchups, must see games. That's where it's headed so buckle up, its getting interesting.

Sent from my SM-G920V using CSNbbs mobile app
07-25-2018 04:44 PM
Advertisement

DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

Hahahahaha

To cut to the chase we could be looking at a radical move before this is over with a plan from circa 1972:

If they want to do a mega conference like they wanted in the old days? The service academies was considered with some of these schools back then.
07-25-2018 05:36 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

(07-25-2018 04:44 PM)cubucks Wrote:  
(07-25-2018 02:03 PM)billybobby777 Wrote:  Recruiting gains. But the legacy members aren’t playing every year any more. How did BYU like getting split off from AF, Wyoming and Colorado St? They hated it so much that 2 years later they created the MWC.

Hahahahaha

To cut to the chase we could be looking at a radical move before this is over with circa a plan from 1972:

Exactly, it's a warning to all conference networks and everybody is taking notice. Markets are meaning very little and it's all about matchups, must see games. That's where it's headed so buckle up, its getting interesting.

Sent from my SM-G920V using CSNbbs mobile app

You mean College football is all about matchups, rivalries, pageantry and state bragging rights and not about markets and manufactured ESPN made conferences like the Big East and ACC? Hmmmm...that’s so 1890 to 1990 thinking!
07-25-2018 05:54 PM
billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

Oh please God let us go back to real college football conferences before espin ruined it around 1990:
Big 10
Big 8
SEC
SWC
PAC 8
ACC
WAC
Major Indy’s: Notre Dame, Penn St, Florida St, Miami, Army, Navy, ECU.
07-25-2018 06:01 PM
billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

(07-25-2018 04:36 PM)DavidSt Wrote:  

Hahahahaha

Michigan State was not an original. They were being blocked from joining the Big 10 for some time until they finally let them in. University of Chicago was an original, and Penn. State was not. So, your statement about originals is not correct since 2 schools you have listed are 2 of the last four schools that were invited into the Bog 10.

Illinois 1896
Minnesota 1896
Northwestern 1896
Purdue 1896
Wisconsin 1896
Michigan 1896
Chicago 1896
Indiana 1899
Ohio State 1912
Michigan State 1950
Penn State 1990
Nebraska 2011
Maryland 2014
Rutgers 2014

Oh Davey I’m quite aware that Michigan st is a big 10 newbie with only 68 years of membership.
Your team Boise has been a college for less time, and been FBS for a whopping 21 years.
07-25-2018 06:09 PM
Bobcat2013 Offline
All American

I Root For: Texas State

Hahahahaha

I'd be in favor of this. The G5 combined with the rest of the p5 that gets left behind would be actually college ball and not semi pro
07-25-2018 06:27 PM
Advertisement

IWokeUpLikeThis Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
Send Nebraska back to the Big 8 to play a yearly round robin there.

Send Penn St/Maryland/Rutgers to a Big East with BC/UConn/Syracuse/Pittsburgh/West Virginia/Cincinnati/Louisville for a yearly round robin there.

Big Ten back to 10 to play yearly round robin instead of having fellow originals visit once every 6 years.
07-25-2018 06:46 PM
DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-25-2018 06:09 PM)billybobby777 Wrote:  
(07-25-2018 04:36 PM)DavidSt Wrote:  
(07-25-2018 02:03 PM)billybobby777 Wrote:  Recruiting gains. But the legacy members aren’t playing every year any more. How did BYU like getting split off from AF, Wyoming and Colorado St? They hated it so much that 2 years later they created the MWC.

Hahahahaha

Illinois 1896
Minnesota 1896
Northwestern 1896
Purdue 1896
Wisconsin 1896
Michigan 1896
Chicago 1896
Indiana 1899
Ohio State 1912
Michigan State 1950
Penn State 1990
Nebraska 2011
Maryland 2014
Rutgers 2014

Oh Davey I’m quite aware that Michigan st is a big 10 newbie with only 68 years of membership.
Your team Boise has been a college for less time, and been FBS for a whopping 21 years.

Boise State have been around close to 100 years. Founded in 1932, first football season in 1932. So, they have had football for a long time to build to the success that they have today.
07-25-2018 08:09 PM
PlayBall! Offline
1st String

I Root For: Kansas & Big XII
(07-25-2018 06:46 PM)IWokeUpLikeThis Wrote:  Big Ten back to 10 to play yearly round robin instead of having fellow originals visit once every 6 years.

So ... the Big XII's current model is best? 04-cheers
07-25-2018 10:03 PM
Frank the Tank Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul
Let's simmer down. It's the same carriage dispute p*ssing contest we see with every sports network when a contract comes up for renewal. The network starts complaining in the media and PR that the fans won't see games, the cable carrier says that it's too expensive and they can watch better games on other channels, and, with very few exceptions (generally on the West Coast like the Pac-12 Network or the Dodgers network where fans don't tar and feather those who block access to games like they do in, say, Chicago), they huff and puff until a day or two before the season starts and get a deal done.
07-25-2018 11:36 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.