Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

North Korea fires missile over Japan, Pentagon confirms
CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

I Root For: NM State
North Korea fires missile over Japan, Pentagon confirms
Quote:North Korea fired a missile over Japan, the Pentagon confirmed on Monday.

"We assess North Korea conducted a missile launch within the last 90 minutes," the Pentagon said.

"We can confirm that the missile launched by North Korea flew over Japan. We are still in the process of assessing this launch. North American Aerospace Defense Command (NORAD) determined the missile launch from North Korea did not pose a threat to North America. We are working closely with Pacific Command, Strategic Command and NORAD and will provide an update as soon as possible."

A senior U.S. official said that there had been some movement suggesting an intermediate missile was being prepped.

The South Korean military said this missile went 1,700 miles into space -- lower than the 2,300 miles into space an intercontinental ballistic missile went in late July.

The missile was fired from the area of Sunan in Pyongyang shortly before 6 a.m. and flew east, South Korea's Joint Chiefs of Staff (JCS) said, according to Yonhap News Agency.

"It passed through the sky over Japan," the JCS said.

NHK, Japan's broadcaster, said that the missile flew over the nation's territory. Japan's Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga labeled it an "unprecedented grave threat."

South Korea's presidential office Cheong Wa Dae convened a National Security Council (NSC) session quickly after the missile was fired.

The move came after North Korea fired three short-range missiles on Saturday -- all deemed successful despite initial reports suggesting failure, according to the U.S. military.

Seoul's Joint Chiefs of Staff said the projectiles fired during the weekend from North Korea's eastern coast flew about 155 miles.

U.S. and South Korean forces began annual military exercises last week, an effort that Pyongyang claimed was a rehearsal for war.

Japan's military has been practicing deploying anti-missile batteries at three U.S. bases in Japan. The U.S. military says the drills will test the ability of Japanese and U.S. forces to work together and assess firing locations at the bases. They will also allow Japan to practice rapid deployment of its PAC-3 anti-missile system.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2017/08/28/...s-say.html
08-28-2017 05:37 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

No Bull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UCF
RE: North Korea fires missile over Japan, Pentagon confirms
This is a major escalation... I have no idea how we respond.. or how we should...
08-28-2017 05:44 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
This is war if they do it again.
08-28-2017 05:53 PM
Lord Stanley Offline
L'Étoile du Nord

I Root For: NIU
(08-28-2017 05:53 PM)bullet Wrote:  This is war if they do it again.

I don't think so. Not a shot will be fired in my opinion.

The likely outcome will be an asymmetrical diplomatic win-win that will mostly benefit North Korea, probably within the next year. North Korea gains food concessions, reduced sanctions, and a fully operational nuclear weapons program too dangerous to be be attacked.

The West shakes hands and toasts to more Peace In Our Time ™
08-28-2017 06:01 PM
GrayBeard Offline
Whiny Troll

I Root For: My Kids & ECU

Crappies
Does Japan have the ability to do anything about it?
08-28-2017 06:16 PM
ark30inf Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Arkansas State
Their submarine forces should start having a lot of accidents.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
08-28-2017 06:29 PM
Advertisement

CardFan1 Offline
Red Thunderbird

I Root For: Louisville ACC
They will Not knowwhen We hit Them. Not gonna be warned ahead of time like Obamanator did
08-28-2017 06:55 PM
HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Alabama
I don't see anything happening.

The Koreans know that the only person who can approach a line is them.

The Kims must be overthrown.
08-28-2017 06:59 PM
hburg Offline

I Root For: James Madison
I have several friends in Japan. They are worried. I asked them if Japan takes the firing of the missles over their land as an act of war, one friend stated no, the other stated the Prime Minister was vague in reponse.
08-28-2017 07:58 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
bullet Offline
Legend

(08-28-2017 06:01 PM)Lord Stanley Wrote:  

The likely outcome will be an asymmetrical diplomatic win-win that will mostly benefit North Korea, probably within the next year. North Korea gains food concessions, reduced sanctions, and a fully operational nuclear weapons program too dangerous to be be attacked.

I'm not sure Trump would do that. Obama would.
08-28-2017 08:15 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

Actually I have since read that this is the 4th time they have done this, but they always announced it beforehand. This time they didn't.
08-28-2017 08:16 PM
Advertisement

chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
(08-28-2017 08:15 PM)bullet Wrote:  
(08-28-2017 06:01 PM)Lord Stanley Wrote:  

I'm not sure Trump would do that. Obama would.

This won't end in War. I just don't see this as a conflict we'll drag ourselves into...nor does North Korea want to be drug into conflict either. Kim Jong Un is an egomaniac, but even he's smart enough to know that most reigns of dictators don't end well.

If anything most of what he's doing right now is his sick way of thinking he's protecting himself. He has no plans to attack us, but he fully believes that if he doesn't show he can defend himself, we'll attack him.
08-28-2017 08:36 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
North Korea is the bulldog in the the back yard of China. These missiles are a provocation, but war is not their intended consequence. They are testing our satellite weaponry and the efficacy of the Aegis system. It is a question that China would like answered so that they can better evaluate where they stand with regard to our defensive capabilities. If we can be provoked into destroying one of their missiles either ascending or at it's arc then they will know what they need to develop in order to be assured that a first strike should they ever need one, would be successful.

We are not going to give the bastards the answer.

They also would like to get a look at one of our satellite weapons that is rumored to be able to scramble a missiles electronics with a kind of mirco wave transmission. It was rumored that we tried it out in Bosnia on a hydro electric plant and used the bombing from F117's to cover it up. That's what they really fear and why they are also the worlds leading purchaser of copper.

Virtually all government and military buildings in China have copper screening in the roofs and walls. It creates a kind of Faraday Cage that prevents the effects of such transmissions. Since the weapon could possibly cover an extremely large area they really want to see it in action.

I would call this series of missile launches by N. Korea defense tests for China. They cannot be confident of proceeding into the Sea of Japan and extending their Naval influence in the Pacific if they can't gauge the potency of our first strike capabilities and of our defensive capabilities.

If they actually kill allies on the ground somewhere we will have to have a reaction ready to go. But I hope we don't jump the gun and reveal what they can only wonder about. A China which doesn't know the depths of our abilities is a friendly China.
08-28-2017 09:09 PM
Fo Shizzle Offline
Pragmatic Classical Liberal

I Root For: ECU PIRATES

Balance of Power Contest
(08-28-2017 05:44 PM)No Bull Wrote:  This is a major escalation... I have no idea how we respond.. or how we should...

If I read the recent Chinese response correctly, we now have a green light to do whatever we want to do in response to this without Chinese interference. The lack of any statement from the WH makes me think that we are doing exactly what Trump said we would do...not tell our enemies our game plan. I expect there is a lot of back channel diplomatic talk going on. Im afraid that the inevitable outcome is an attack. The longer we wait?...The more time we give Kim to build his nuclear program. I don't believe having NK a fully armed nuclear nation is in the worlds best interest and even the Chinese know this. Kim must be stopped...with war if necessary.
08-29-2017 05:49 AM
Chappy Offline
Resident Goonie

I Root For: ECU
This is a scary situation, because I don't see NK stopping at any point.
08-29-2017 07:36 AM
JTiger Offline
Grand Master Sexaaayyyy

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
(08-28-2017 06:59 PM)HeartOfDixie Wrote:  I don't see anything happening.

The Koreans know that the only person who can approach a line is them.

The Kims must be overthrown.

If the Kims are overthrown, who replaces them? A military general that is even more of a problem?

It's hard to tell with that country led by a bunch of crazies
08-29-2017 08:25 AM
Advertisement

bullet Offline
Legend

(08-29-2017 07:36 AM)Chappy Wrote:  This is a scary situation, because I don't see NK stopping at any point.

No. They won't. That's why we need to attack if we can't get the Chinese to rein them in. The Chinese stopping them is the only good solution.

By attack, I mean their primary nuclear processing and missile sites. And the scientists working on it. NOT regime change. Just weapons change. But we have to be prepared for full war on the Peninsula.
(This post was last modified: 08-29-2017 08:30 AM by bullet.)
08-29-2017 08:28 AM
Lord Stanley Offline
L'Étoile du Nord

I Root For: NIU
I would be in support of a few "test firings" of US or Japanese tomahawks over North Korean airspace from the Yellow Sea to the Sea of Japan.

You know, for "testing."
08-29-2017 08:45 AM
Redwingtom Offline
Progressive filth

I Root For: B-G-S-U !!!!
Wait, I thought trump solved the North Korea problem. Didn't many here tell us that?
08-29-2017 09:04 AM
VA49er Offline
Legend

I Root For: Charlotte
(08-28-2017 05:44 PM)No Bull Wrote:  This is a major escalation... I have no idea how we respond.. or how we should...

They've apparently done this before; however, previously their either notified Japan or Japan knew it was going to occur some other way.
08-29-2017 09:14 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.