Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

OT - DI, D2 School Merger
Bookmark and Share
CatMom Online
Getting Old Sucks!

I Root For: TXST
There's a lot of stuff going on down (Corpus Christi) here where they're bandying around the idea to merge TAMU-CC and TAMU-Kingsville. They keep saying stuff like that would automatically make Kingsville (D2) DI, in football because TAMU-CC is DI in everything. That's not a viable option, is it? Wouldn't they still have to transition and wouldn't they need a conference invite to even start?

They also said it automatically makes them an emerging research U due to student population (20K) but I'm positive that's not the metric to be designated as such or TXST would have gotten that in the early 2000's instead of just a few years ago.

Anyone know anything about how this might go?
11-11-2016 07:22 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

WolfBird Offline
All American

I Root For:
I can't imagine too many people caring about this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
11-11-2016 07:26 PM
CatMom Online
Getting Old Sucks!

RE: OT - DI, D2 School Merger
(11-11-2016 07:26 PM)WolfBird Wrote:  I can't imagine too many people caring about this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm just trying to get some answers on the merger because people down here seem to not know. Just wondering if anyone has any insight on how it would be done. Not everyone has to care but if someone has some insight, I'd like to hear from them.
11-11-2016 07:29 PM
rokamortis Offline
All American

I Root For: Coastal
(11-11-2016 07:22 PM)CatMom Wrote:  There's a lot of stuff going on down (Corpus Christi) here where they're bandying around the idea to merge TAMU-CC and TAMU-Kingsville. They keep saying stuff like that would automatically make Kingsville (D2) DI, in football because TAMU-CC is DI in everything. That's not a viable option, is it? Wouldn't they still have to transition and wouldn't they need a conference invite to even start?

They also said it automatically makes them an emerging research U due to student population (20K) but I'm positive that's not the metric to be designated as such or TXST would have gotten that in the early 2000's instead of just a few years ago.

Anyone know anything about how this might go?

Interesting. A DI school can add FCS football and not transition, so that may be a loophole for them. I kind of wonder about loopholes like what happened with UAB, they dropped football then re-added it but essentially from scratch and weren't forced to go FCS first or have any post-season bans.

I would say funding and research productivity is what effects research classification - perhaps they are expecting the combined school to be at a level for that classification based on what each are doing now.
(This post was last modified: 11-11-2016 07:32 PM by rokamortis.)
11-11-2016 07:31 PM
Usajags Online
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: South Alabama
First D1 isn't just FBS, my guess would be that it would be FCS. Second, TAMU-CC is in the Southland, so their may be a way they could just add football in that conference. I'm not sure if you need that conference affiliation to go FCS like you do to FBS. I would think the football team would still have to go through a transition period. Does TAMU-Kingsville have other sports they are going to keep, or are they dropping them, cause then it could get real ugly.

As colleges and universities are being combined for budgetary reasons, the atheletics will get messy and may get dropped, like we have seen at a couple schools already. Who knows how they plan on dealing with this.
11-11-2016 07:39 PM
CatMom Online
Getting Old Sucks!

Kingsville has 5 Men 8 Womens sports CC has 5 men 9 women. The men's sports don't line up, of course
Kingsville
Men
football, baseball, T&F, cross country, basketball
Women
softball, T&F, cross country, basketball, tennis, golf, volleyball, beach volleyball

Corpus Christi
Men
baseball, basketball, cross country, T&F, tennis
Women
softball, T&F, cross country, basketball, tennis, golf, volleyball, beach volleyball, soccer

It would be a tough call for the athletes and the coaches to merge teams.
11-11-2016 07:50 PM
Advertisement

Usajags Online
Sun Belt Nationalist

How far apart are these campuses??? It's wierd to think they are going to combine two campuses that are essentially satellite campuses for TAMU. Or will TAMU-CC be the mother campus of TAMU-Kingsville, making them TAMU-CC of Kinsgsville.

What purpose is giving for them merging???
11-11-2016 08:33 PM
CatMom Online
Getting Old Sucks!

(11-11-2016 08:33 PM)Usajags Wrote:  How far apart are these campuses??? It's wierd to think they are going to combine two campuses that are essentially satellite campuses for TAMU. Or will TAMU-CC be the mother campus of TAMU-Kingsville, making them TAMU-CC of Kinsgsville.

What purpose is giving for them merging???
The distance is approximately 45 miles +-. The name they're throwing around is TAMU-South Texas so neither gets the bragging rights.

I assume the purpose is to save money somehow?
11-11-2016 09:38 PM
Bobcat87 Offline
San Marvelous Cat

I Root For: TXST, A&M, UNT
Got my Master's Degree at A&M Kingsville, they're about 36 miles apart. A&M University Chancellor John Sharp sees the merger as producing: "... the most powerful university in all (Texas) South of Austin and West of College Station." Just one of the stated goals.
It's far from a sure thing though as some A&M Regents are skeptical of the move, and the universities themselves (CC/Kingsville) have issues about losing their identities.
Kingsville still has factions upset about the name change from A&I to A&M, and continually are petitioning the legislature to change the name back.
For what it's worth, the College Station campus just surpassed 66,000 students.

Sports does not appear to be a driving factor in this. . . .
(This post was last modified: 11-11-2016 09:59 PM by Bobcat87.)
11-11-2016 09:57 PM
Usajags Online
Sun Belt Nationalist

Sports are definitely not the driving force, if they combine sports teams will be lost. You can't have multiple men's basketball teams for the same school.
11-11-2016 10:01 PM
Usajags Online
Sun Belt Nationalist

This conversation makes me so glad my school is not a Whatsamatter U of Mobile. Same crap with UAb, the UL_'s, and UTEP/SA of the world. We are our own university, and I'm happy knowing we have control of our own destiny.
11-11-2016 10:08 PM
Advertisement

chrisattsu Offline
Mom's Favorite

I Root For: Tarleton / TXST
Heres a link to the D2 Messageboard about this topic-
http://www.d2messageboard.com/showthread...-amp-TAMUK

It seems that the the TAMU System is concerned about the future of both campuses. They have UT-San Antonio 3 hours to the north and the newly merged UT-RGV 2 hours to the south.

The cultures of these two schools are different. Kingsville is a smaller campus that focuses on Engineering, education, and agriculture. Corpus is business, marine biology, and health fields. At least the merger would save a little money on administrative costs and allow them to at least pose as a larger institution (22,000 students and a combined endowment).

Regents seem willing to give $60M to Kingville for a new football stadium. So that tells me the Javelina brand would stay alive.
11-11-2016 10:31 PM
NoDak Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: UND
UT-Brownsville, which was DII, merged with UT-Pan American, which was DI, to form UT-Rio Grande Valley, which has nearly 30k student, is DI, and Mack Brown is on a committee to establish football first at an FCS level and then at the FBS level.

Corpus Christi is a locale that is starving for college football. See a push for an FBS team as a likely outcome. There's talk that Kingsville will have a new football stadium and later it will go FBS if they have an invite. The combined campuses have over 20k students, and with the merger, the finances will only get stronger as duplicate programs will be cut.
11-11-2016 11:54 PM
CatMom Online
Getting Old Sucks!

(11-11-2016 11:54 PM)NoDak Wrote:  UT-Brownsville, which was DII, merged with UT-Pan American, which was DI, to form UT-Rio Grande Valley, which has nearly 30k student, is DI, and Mack Brown is on a committee to establish football first at an FCS level and then at the FBS level.

Corpus Christi is a locale that is starving for college football.
See a push for an FBS team as a likely outcome. There's talk that Kingsville will have a new football stadium and later it will go FBS if they have an invite. The combined campuses have over 20k students, and with the merger, the finances will only get stronger as duplicate programs will be cut.
I have to disagree with that as I live in CC. These people could not be less interested in football. They have large HS stadiums with very small crowds. My HS, in a town of less than 5K, had more people attend games than they do here in a city of over 300K. They don't support TAMUCC, they support UT and A&M. You can't even get their gear in any store here. They do a lot with a lot less money and minimal support. Their baseball and softball facilities are horrible. Baseball does have a lot of their games at Whataburger Field (Astros AA team). There isn't even any parking for the games (on campus) that you don't worry the whole time if you'll get towed or have a ticket on your windshield afterward. Most of their BB games are played at the American Bank Center. They need a lot of work on most of their facilities and there is really no room for them to build anything new where they are. I don't even know where/if they have a T&F facility. I've never seen a facility but I've only been here 2 1/2 years and don't make routine visits to the campus like I did TXST and I only live 8 miles from there.

Here's their campus
TAMUCC
(zoom in to Ward Island on the Bay)
(This post was last modified: 11-12-2016 12:34 AM by CatMom.)
11-12-2016 12:29 AM
Bobcat87 Offline
San Marvelous Cat

I Root For: TXST, A&M, UNT
Not related to the topic, but I do love watching baseball at WhatABurger Field . .

Great watching the ships move through the channel, and the seeing The Lex. Lit up at night is verrrry cool . . .
11-12-2016 12:37 AM
NoDak Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

(11-12-2016 12:29 AM)CatMom Wrote:  
(11-11-2016 11:54 PM)NoDak Wrote:  UT-Brownsville, which was DII, merged with UT-Pan American, which was DI, to form UT-Rio Grande Valley, which has nearly 30k student, is DI, and Mack Brown is on a committee to establish football first at an FCS level and then at the FBS level.

Corpus Christi is a locale that is starving for college football.
See a push for an FBS team as a likely outcome. There's talk that Kingsville will have a new football stadium and later it will go FBS if they have an invite. The combined campuses have over 20k students, and with the merger, the finances will only get stronger as duplicate programs will be cut.
I have to disagree with that as I live in CC. These people could not be less interested in football. They have large HS stadiums with very small crowds. My HS, in a town of less than 5K, had more people attend games than they do here in a city of over 300K. They don't support TAMUCC, they support UT and A&M. You can't even get their gear in any store here. They do a lot with a lot less money and minimal support. Their baseball and softball facilities are horrible. Baseball does have a lot of their games at Whataburger Field (Astros AA team). There isn't even any parking for the games (on campus) that you don't worry the whole time if you'll get towed or have a ticket on your windshield afterward. Most of their BB games are played at the American Bank Center. They need a lot of work on most of their facilities and there is really no room for them to build anything new where they are. I don't even know where/if they have a T&F facility. I've never seen a facility but I've only been here 2 1/2 years and don't make routine visits to the campus like I did TXST and I only live 8 miles from there.

Here's their campus
TAMUCC
(zoom in to Ward Island on the Bay)

I used to live less than a mile from South Alabama, and much of what you said about Corpus Christi could be applied to Mobile. Mobile is crazy about the Tide and less so about Auburn, but USA was hardly a blip on the local scene. Haven't lived there for eight years, but it doesn't sound like it's changed much.
11-12-2016 12:43 AM
Advertisement

arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
The merged institution has to tell the NCAA what they want to do. If they stick with CC's Southland affiliation and keep football, they are FCS.
11-12-2016 10:04 PM
Usajags Online
Sun Belt Nationalist

Gonna be wierd playing all but one sport at one campus, and football at the other campus. I don't see that as a way to build a solid program. Students at the other campus will be removed from the program and just won't care.
(This post was last modified: 11-12-2016 10:18 PM by Usajags.)
11-12-2016 10:18 PM
NoDak Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

(11-12-2016 10:18 PM)Usajags Wrote:  Gonna be wierd playing all but one sport at one campus, and football at the other campus. I don't see that as a way to build a solid program. Students at the other campus will be removed from the program and just won't care.

Ga St and Ga Perimeter merged, so it's not like there isn't precedent in taking over athletic teams. How is that merger going, specifically for athletics? Granted, Georgia Perimeter was primarily a JC, but had some 4 yr degrees and athletic teams, but the athletic dollars from GA Perimeter from student fees now goes to Ga State.
(This post was last modified: 11-13-2016 12:28 AM by NoDak.)
11-13-2016 12:26 AM
Usajags Online
Sun Belt Nationalist

(11-13-2016 12:26 AM)NoDak Wrote:  
(11-12-2016 10:18 PM)Usajags Wrote:  Gonna be wierd playing all but one sport at one campus, and football at the other campus. I don't see that as a way to build a solid program. Students at the other campus will be removed from the program and just won't care.

Ga St and Ga Perimeter merged, so it's not like there isn't precedent in taking over athletic teams. How is that merger going, specifically for athletics? Granted, Georgia Perimeter was primarily a JC, but had some 4 yr degrees and athletic teams, but the athletic dollars from GA Perimeter from student fees now goes to Ga State.

I would think all Ga parimeter sports went away, and they kept the facilities and programs at GaSt. Not exactly the same idea of bringing in a football program from another campus.
11-13-2016 12:30 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.