Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

[split] Welcome Coastal !
Bookmark and Share
bluephi1914 Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: ULM
Coastal Stadium Expansion Plan Denied
http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/sports/...45117.html

Time is ticking. Seems like the board is really playing hard ball.
06-04-2016 02:45 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

CatMom Offline
Getting Old Sucks!

I Root For: TXST
RE: Coastal Stadium Expansion Plan Denied
They're working on it.
CCU Stadium Expansion
06-04-2016 03:01 PM
FoUTASportscaster Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UTA
Old news bro.
06-04-2016 03:07 PM
WKUYG Away
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WKU
That sounds like a train wreck and even if they get the go ahead it will basically be a hole in the ground with metal seats or a awful erector set. I hope they make it and one day I would love for Western to sign a home and home with them....

football game and a weeks vacation. That's what I miss about not playing USA and Troy
06-04-2016 03:11 PM
FoUTASportscaster Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UTA
Their stadium now is better than WKU's, just smaller capcity.
06-04-2016 03:34 PM
THUNDERStruck73 Offline
Complete Jackass

I Root For: Herd, Our Lady, & Heels
Can't be a hole in the ground with the water table.... Lol... Looks like the erector set special...

Seriously though, I hope you're u can get this all worked out... Good luck.
06-04-2016 03:35 PM
Advertisement

WKUYG Away
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WKU
(06-04-2016 03:34 PM)FoUTASportscaster Wrote:  Their stadium now is better than WKU's, just smaller capcity.

Then what does that say for the rest of the SBC....

Western was named best in this conference but maybe that was before Texas State. Since I seen them all in person other than APP and GASO, Texas State would be #1

But everything doesn't have to be a pisssing match...somethings just are what they are. And this honestly sounds like a train wreck because if you are going to do something never just do it to get by. Might not build everything you want but if you are half asssing it...

it will look that way
(This post was last modified: 06-04-2016 04:09 PM by WKUYG.)
06-04-2016 04:08 PM
AppManDG Online
Heisman

I Root For: App State
Joe Moglia just needs to loan CCU the amount of private money the CHE says they need? It's estimated he made over $150 million as CEO of TD Ameritrade. It's not like he's hurting for cash.
06-04-2016 05:03 PM
The4thOption Offline
1st String

I Root For: GeorgiaSouthern
Time for a hotel tax to help out?
Seems a simple investment to just tack on a little to each hotel bill during the summer and use that to help themselves (the hotel owners) secure more visitors in the fall.

An expanded CCU stadium that helps secure FBS membership will pay off for them. And it cost them nothing really. I know everybody has enough hotel taxes now, but I think that is why nobody will notice much. Who is going to decide not to go to Myrtle Beach because there is an extra $2,$3 or $4 per night charge on the hotel bill? Nobody.

It's private money! It's basically free!

How many hotel rooms are rented on Myrtle Beach during the summer?

Just trying to think outside the box here.
(This post was last modified: 06-06-2016 04:53 PM by The4thOption.)
06-06-2016 04:52 PM
ericsaid Offline
Heisman

I Root For: App. State/ECU
(06-06-2016 04:52 PM)The4thOption Wrote:  Time for a hotel tax to help out?
Seems a simple investment to just tack on a little to each hotel bill during the summer and use that to help themselves (the hotel owners) secure more visitors in the fall.

An expanded CCU stadium that helps secure FBS membership will pay off for them. And it cost them nothing really. I know everybody has enough hotel taxes now, but I think that is why nobody will notice much. Who is going to decide not to go to Myrtle Beach because there is an extra $2,$3 or $4 per night charge on the hotel bill? Nobody.

If it forces me over budget, I wouldn't go. Simply find a less expensive route such as camping though it is the less appealing option with the fire ants.
06-06-2016 05:10 PM
billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

I Root For: ECU, Army
(06-06-2016 05:10 PM)ericsaid Wrote:  

If it forces me over budget, I wouldn't go. Simply find a less expensive route such as camping though it is the less appealing option with the fire ants.

I just read that article. As a life long college football fanatic who turns 40 tommorow, I'm starting to see college football going in a direction I never thought it would. I never thought I'd see a school go down to FCS (Idaho). Or a project like this crumble before it gets out of the gate. This is getting crazy....NM St, EMU and many more are on serious life support. There is a bubble about to burst on us folks...
Cheers!
06-08-2016 10:13 PM
Advertisement

The4thOption Offline
1st String

Well, considering that you are probably only staying 2 nights, if $4 to $8 total puts you over budget.... then yea. You should probably just stay home. Then consider that maybe without this kind of thing, there is no football game for you to go to in Myrtle that weekend.
06-08-2016 10:55 PM
rokamortis Offline
All American

I Root For: Coastal
Just to help address a couple of things I've read here:

This is what I've gathered from public information and some private conversations (direct and indirect).

Coastal is confident they will get this done, it looks to have just been delayed from 2017 to 2018. The focus is now on fundraising and they say they have had success but there is still more work to do. The CHE, as far as I know, still hasn't provided a specific number to Coastal so we are trying to work with them to determine this figure. Coastal admin has mentioned looking at all options but haven't publicly stated what those are but I'm assuming one option is temp seating as they work through the political issues.

From a timing standpoint I'd hope that we will have some updates by September. The CHE usually takes July off and the legislative session is about to end - so August is probably when everything will get cranked back up again. We will have had a bit more time for fundraising and will hopefully have more transparency from the CHE and/or more information on what alternatives we may have.
06-09-2016 05:57 AM
rokamortis Offline
All American

As far as a additional tax ...

Coastal already gets about 13% of a county wide penny sales tax for educational capital projects that goes to the local area educational organizations (school system 80%, Coastal 13%, and tech school 7%). This reduced property taxes that would have went to the K-12. A penny just for Coastal and just for the football stadium would be harder sell as we wouldn't have any incentive for those that don't support the project. What I've read is that this is only for direct educational capital improvements and not auxiliary.

Plus, there are other penny taxes being charged. The City of MB has their own penny tax that primarily goes to the MB chamber for advertising and promotion. Some goes to the city for capital projects. The rest helps reduce property taxes for city residents.

The county has also had RIDE penny taxes in the past to pay for road projects. They have had 2 so far with RIDE II expiring in 2014. RIDE III will be on the ballot in November.

So while it is a good idea in theory, it is just a complicated situation and probably wouldn't work due to other existing and proposed projects as well as the time and effort needed to communicate with and educate the community.
(This post was last modified: 06-09-2016 06:28 AM by rokamortis.)
06-09-2016 06:16 AM
alpha_eagle Offline
Bench Warmer

Just curious as to what the perception would be if Moglia were to dip into his pocket for a sizeable amount of 'private donation'...would the NCAA, the university community, and/or the CHE see that as a good thing or a set of golden handcuffs?

I've not read through the last couple of pages of the thread...what percentage of private donations to the bottom line is the CHE looking for? Got to have a goal if you're going to build a plan to reach it.
06-09-2016 06:34 AM
alpha_eagle Offline
Bench Warmer

(06-08-2016 10:55 PM)The4thOption Wrote:  

Well, considering that you are probably only staying 2 nights, if $4 to $8 total puts you over budget.... then yea. You should probably just stay home. Then consider that maybe without this kind of thing, there is no football game for you to go to in Myrtle that weekend.

I know the hotel tax is an easy way to generate revenue for 'public' projects, but as a very frequent business traveler I am incensed by the lack of regard for other peoples' money. Nothing p***es me off more than having a $4-7 tax applied to my hotel or rental car contract for something that I will never, ever get any benefit from. I believe it's called taxation without representation...seems like I've heard about that somewhere else.
06-09-2016 06:40 AM
Advertisement

runamuck Offline
All American

I Root For: uta
(06-09-2016 06:40 AM)alpha_eagle Wrote:  
(06-08-2016 10:55 PM)The4thOption Wrote:  

I know the hotel tax is an easy way to generate revenue for 'public' projects, but as a very frequent business traveler I am incensed by the lack of regard for other peoples' money. Nothing p***es me off more than having a $4-7 tax applied to my hotel or rental car contract for something that I will never, ever get any benefit from. I believe it's called taxation without representation...seems like I've heard about that somewhere else.

a cpl. bucks is one thing, but it seems that every time I get a motel room anywhere near houston or austin or okc even 20 miles out they are adding 11-15% for some kind of venue that I never see.
06-09-2016 07:14 AM
CoastalAlum2011 Offline
All American

(06-09-2016 06:34 AM)alpha_eagle Wrote:  Just curious as to what the perception would be if Moglia were to dip into his pocket for a sizeable amount of 'private donation'...would the NCAA, the university community, and/or the CHE see that as a good thing or a set of golden handcuffs?

I've not read through the last couple of pages of the thread...what percentage of private donations to the bottom line is the CHE looking for? Got to have a goal if you're going to build a plan to reach it.

Moglia will NOT do that. Everyone brings this up, but it will NOT happen. He has stated publicly on many occasions that while he is an employee of the school, he will not make private donations. He thinks that sends the wrong message. However, he has called his connections in the past and helped us raise money. But he has never done it by digging into his own pocket. We all believe that once he retires or leaves for another job, he will be a donor. But he won't do it while he's coaching us. I actually respect that a lot.

As for the amount of private donations needed, that's the essence of the crappiness of this whole thing, and it is why Coastal fans gathered almost 3k signatures on a petition to the governor. Because the CHE has given us zero target. Nothing. Nada. It's actually kind of laughable. They reject the project due to "being concerned about the level of private funding," yet when we ask what level they want to see, they just say, "more."
06-09-2016 07:51 AM
ark30inf Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Arkansas State
Find the nearest stadiums in Georgia or North Carolina that hold 15,000. Rent it for home games. Become a nomadic tribe having to play in foreign lands because of bureaucrats and politicians.
06-09-2016 07:56 AM
Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: So Alabama, GWU
It would be nice if the board told y'all how much cash you guys need to raise.

Such as "In order to borrow X, you must raise Y"
(This post was last modified: 06-09-2016 10:37 AM by Tom in Lazybrook.)
06-09-2016 10:35 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.