Attendance
Bookmark and Share
TheWoodenNickle Offline
Heisman

I Root For: EMU
Attendance
Nice read in the Echo.

http://www.easternecho.com/article/2016/...ball-games

I really wish that The Convo and Rynearson were on the main campus.
02-10-2016 12:51 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Bob Wickersham Offline
Heisman

RE: Attendance
As many people know, I have been saying for years that the Convo is a fine facility...for graduations and concerts, just not for basketball.

We are victims of Ben Braun's success. Braun built an outstanding basketball program and the end result was the construction of the way-too-big for basketball, Convocation Center.

If EMU was smart, it would renovate Bowen Fieldhouse (the Cameron Indoor Stadium of the MAC) and bring basketball back to the campus. Instead, we are stuck with the mindset that we MUST continue playing in an empty basketball arena with no atmosphere or home court advantage. I am hoping our new AD will see the light...whenever that time comes.
02-10-2016 01:39 PM
emu steve Offline
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
(02-10-2016 12:51 PM)TheWoodenNickle Wrote:  Nice read in the Echo.

I'm seeming to think that having basketball on the main campus was a big reason why attendance was good until the move as well as the other listed reasons (e.g., so many games, including our own, on TV).

As I've posted before, Dr. Shelton (then U prez) told me 'no way' could they build a new arena on campus because the city would never approve it (Oakwood is not adequate for a new arena.).

The other take away from the article is that WOMEN's attendance is way down.

Presumably, the decline in WOMEN's attendance isn't due to the way the MEN are playing? Correct? 03-cloud9

BTW, the men's team is much, much exciting these days with high scoring games, impact players like JT4 and Lee, etc. Good entertainment.
(This post was last modified: 02-10-2016 01:49 PM by emu steve.)
02-10-2016 01:44 PM
Bob Wickersham Offline
Heisman

I love how they always talk to the self proclaimed superfan. He wasn't even around during the Grant Long days or the Sweet 16 season--the greatest EMU team in school history. I guess if you wear a costume...oh, never mind.
02-10-2016 01:45 PM
RamyEMU Offline
All American

That is a good article. I like the table of attendance figures and the fact that some of the posters here were interviewed.

Attendance was reasonable through some the early lean years. I bet if they make the tournament attendance will go way up the next year. Or even if there is a season where they are leading the MAC, attendance will go up towards the end of the season. Say an 8-3 record instead if 4-7. In short, this program needs a buzz
02-10-2016 01:48 PM
emu steve Offline
Legend

(02-10-2016 01:48 PM)RamyEMU Wrote:  That is a good article. I like the table of attendance figures and the fact that some of the posters here were interviewed.

Attendance was reasonable through some the early lean years. I bet if they make the tournament attendance will go way up the next year. Or even if there is a season where they are leading the MAC, attendance will go up towards the end of the season. Say an 8-3 record instead if 4-7. In short, this program needs a buzz

I agree that we need a buzz.

Remember, we haven't been ranked in say the top 100 (and being ranked say 80 - 99 which is good, still isn't marque) since 1998.

There is a good chance that a top 50 - 60 team with say JT4, Lee, etc. could cause a bandwagon effect to develop. Or say if we could be pick Akron for two years.

To treat this like an experiment, if we could have a team ranked in the top 25 for even a few weeks, would we draw 2 or 3 x as many fans?

After all, we are comparing current teams with teams which made the NCAAs, beat nationally ranked UofM (1997). beat Duke (1996), etc.

To use an analogy, maybe the Pirates of old and the current Pirates. Same team, same city, but the current one is a very high performing team.

And as has been discussed, in 1995 we drew some GOOD crowds for FB at Rynearson when the team sharply improved.

As I have posted before, don't judge our 'ceiling' to draw fans until we get a NCAA bound men's basketball team OR a football team which wins 7 or more games say two years running.

To compare us (attendance wise) to say UT or NIU is apples and oranges. UT and NIU have had nationally ranked teams.
(This post was last modified: 02-10-2016 02:00 PM by emu steve.)
02-10-2016 02:00 PM
Advertisement

Bob Wickersham Offline
Heisman

The Convo is an albatross. You will never have a buzz if the arena is 75% empty at best.
02-10-2016 02:16 PM
Huron 61 Offline
Bench Warmer

Please read the comment from the EMU professor who says such erroneous things to explain low attendance. Dismal showings by the teams, the high cost of the programs, students spending time with their families and studying prevent them from attending athletic events. I don't believe any of these things. Dismal performances? Football-yes, basketball (M & W)-NO, other teams-NO. High costs-NO, students do not pay for admission. Spending time with the family-NO, at their age students want to spend time with their peers. Studying-NO, students have always looked for break time from their studies. What world does this person live in? Not the real one, for sure.

And another thing...I believe that student attendance has an effect on
overall attendance. Students are animated and vocal at athletic events. This provides entertainment and encouragement to older attendees. This provides for a more positive experience for non-student and hopefully a desire to return. I believe the key is in large student participation.
02-10-2016 02:19 PM
TheWoodenNickle Offline
Heisman

Attendance
(02-10-2016 01:44 PM)emu steve Wrote:  

I'm seeming to think that having basketball on the main campus was a big reason why attendance was good until the move as well as the other listed reasons (e.g., so many games, including our own, on TV).

As I've posted before, Dr. Shelton (then U prez) told me 'no way' could they build a new arena on campus because the city would never approve it (Oakwood is not adequate for a new arena.).

The other take away from the article is that WOMEN's attendance is way down.

Presumably, the decline in WOMEN's attendance isn't due to the way the MEN are playing? Correct? 03-cloud9

BTW, the men's team is much, much exciting these days with high scoring games, impact players like JT4 and Lee, etc. Good entertainment.

Shelton was a buffoon. That arena could have been built on main campus. Perhaps where the union now stands or where the old rec softball fields were.
02-10-2016 02:26 PM
emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: emu
for me the 12 noon start times with a 2 hour drive is one reason I have not been going last year I hit 9 games also it easier for to watch on espn3 on weeknights rather then getting home at midnight
02-10-2016 02:36 PM
emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: emu
I loved Bowen too bad ray Scott had horrible teams
02-10-2016 02:37 PM
Advertisement

TheWoodenNickle Offline
Heisman

Attendance
(02-10-2016 02:19 PM)Huron 61 Wrote:  

Please read the comment from the EMU professor who says such erroneous things to explain low attendance. Dismal showings by the teams, the high cost of the programs, students spending time with their families and studying prevent them from attending athletic events. I don't believe any of these things. Dismal performances? Football-yes, basketball (M & W)-NO, other teams-NO. High costs-NO, students do not pay for admission. Spending time with the family-NO, at their age students want to spend time with their peers. Studying-NO, students have always looked for break time from their studies. What world does this person live in? Not the real one, for sure.

And another thing...I believe that student attendance has an effect on
overall attendance. Students are animated and vocal at athletic events. This provides entertainment and encouragement to older attendees. This provides for a more positive experience for non-student and hopefully a desire to return. I believe the key is in large student participation.

Obviously Dr Higbee is out of touch and likely has an axe to grind with Athletics.
(This post was last modified: 02-10-2016 03:08 PM by TheWoodenNickle.)
02-10-2016 02:42 PM
Ken Barna Offline
All American

Dear WoodenNickle,
If you read any posts on the Eagle Totem, you will generally find Professor Higbee complaining about the money spent on athletics at Eastern. He is nothing new about complaining on the cost of athletics. I agree with you on student participation, but until Eastern fields some winning teams in basketball and football, they (students) will stay away.
02-10-2016 03:01 PM
EAGLE KING Offline
1st String

Attendance
(02-10-2016 02:36 PM)emu79 Wrote:  for me the 12 noon start times with a 2 hour drive is one reason I have not been going last year I hit 9 games also it easier for to watch on espn3 on weeknights rather then getting home at midnight

I am with you on that. Saturday's are my best bet.
02-10-2016 04:05 PM
FrankAnderson Offline
All American

I had Professor Higbee for one class and have had a couple interactions with him afterward. He sees himself as the 'lone wolf' to ending university athletics (from the impression he gives, beyond EMU athletics). A few years ago the Echo held a forum to discuss athletics funding/attendance, and Mark repeatedly interrupted others who were speaking and kept smugly spouting the same few lines about EMU athletics (almost like Marco Rubio the other night).

This isn't relevant to his view on athletics, so I don't want to sound like I'm using ad hominem here, but he was also insufferable in the classroom. I often say he was the ONLY faculty member at EMU that I disliked. If a student had a question or comment he felt was inaccurate or off-topic, he would frequently raise his voice and yell to chastise the student. Even on the first offense. He just was an unpleasant figure in the classroom.
02-10-2016 04:50 PM
EagleTough Offline
All American

(02-10-2016 03:01 PM)Ken Barna Wrote:  Dear WoodenNickle,
If you read any posts on the Eagle Totem, you will generally find Professor Higbee complaining about the money spent on athletics at Eastern. He is nothing new about complaining on the cost of athletics. I agree with you on student participation, but until Eastern fields some winning teams in basketball and football, they (students) will stay away.

Although I'm sure the good 'doctor' has no problem at all with all of his 'tenured' colleagues who bloat the faculty payrolls with overpaid and underworked staff, as well as stale and sub-standard teaching.................all on the students & taxpayers dime!

http://www.maciverinstitute.com/2016/01/...is-a-scam/

Just a quick look at the first 10 or 12 reviews of this guy, tells you all you need to know about him:

http://www.ratemyprofessors.com/ShowRati...tid=195885

Rude, arrogant, and biased seem to be a common theme. Hopefully this guy is the exception, and not the norm, for EMU professors.
(This post was last modified: 02-10-2016 05:13 PM by EagleTough.)
02-10-2016 04:59 PM
Advertisement

Bob Wickersham Offline
Heisman

BRING-BACK-BOWEN.
02-11-2016 08:27 AM
TheWoodenNickle Offline
Heisman

Attendance
(02-11-2016 08:27 AM)Bob Wickersham Wrote:  BRING-BACK-BOWEN.

Is like to see a game at Bowen with the court being parallel to the bleachers. I believe used to be like that way back in the day (Ken B or some other older alum may know).

If the Convo were on the main campus attendance would be much higher. The data in the Echo story clearly shows that when they went to the Convo attendance dropped remarkably. Of course, the team started to suck at the same time too.
02-11-2016 08:36 AM
emu steve Offline
Legend

Where would folks placed it? Suitable road access? Parking?
02-11-2016 08:46 AM
Ken Barna Offline
All American

Dear WoodenNickle,
Yes, in the early sixties the basketball court ran parallel to the bleachers. Our basketball teams weren't very good then, but Eastern wasn't giving scholarships either. Because of those points, we rarely had 500-600 fans at any game, and I believe those stands held 1,200.
02-11-2016 09:17 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.