CAJUNNATION Offline
1st String

I Root For: Western Civilization
Mother of all Playoffs 2015
RULES

-- All 10 conference champions get bid
-- Next 14 highest ranked schools get bid
-- Highest 8 seeds get first round bye
-- Seeds 9-24 begin First round action at higher seed's home field on 3rd week of December
-- Sweet 16 would play on 4th week at higher seed's home field
-- Elite 8 would be 1st week of January. This would begin use of "BCS" bowls, Rose, Sugar, Fiesta, and Orange
-- Final 4 next week as 2 of the 4 BCS bowls re-host
-- National Championship next week as 1 of the other 2 BCS bowls re-hosts

FIRST-ROUND

#24 ARKANSAS STATE at #9 FLORIDA STATE
#23 BOWLING GREEN at #10 NORTH CAROLINA
#22 SAN DIEGO STATE at #11 TCU
#21 WESTERN KENTUCKY at #12 OLE MISS
#20 LSU at #13 NORTHWESTERN
#19 FLORIDA at #14 MICHIGAN
#18 HOUSTON at #15 OREGON
#17 BAYLOR at #16 OKLAHOMA STATE

SWEET 16

(Baylor/Oklahoma State winner) at #1 CLEMSON
(Houston/Oregon winner) at #2 ALABAMA
(Florida/Michigan winner) at #3 MICHIGAN STATE
(LSU/Northwestern winner) at #4 OKLAHOMA
(Western Kentucky/Ole Miss winner) at #5 IOWA
(San Diego State/TCU winner) at #6 STANFORD
(Bowling Green/North Carolina winner) at #7 OHIO STATE
(Arkansas State/Florida State winner) at #8 NOTRE DAME

ELITE 8
Rose/Fiesta/Sugar/Orange

FINAL 4
Rose/Orange

CHAMPIONSHIP
Sugar
01-04-2016 01:24 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Eagleditka Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: GS Eagles
RE: Mother of all Playoffs 2015
Forgot Cotton and Peach Bowls.
01-04-2016 01:40 PM
ThaGinga Offline
2nd String

I Root For: TxSt/FSU/CFB
(01-04-2016 01:40 PM)Eagleditka Wrote:  Forgot Cotton and Peach Bowls.

I believe in this scenario the Cotton and Peach never became major (BCS) bowls
01-04-2016 04:14 PM
FloridaJag Offline
All American

I Root For: USA, FSU, and UWF
(01-04-2016 04:14 PM)ThaGinga Wrote:  
(01-04-2016 01:40 PM)Eagleditka Wrote:  Forgot Cotton and Peach Bowls.

I believe in this scenario the Cotton and Peach never became major (BCS) bowls

They were big bowls before the BCS. The BCS is gone, the Cotton and Peach Bowls live on. They should host playoff games.
01-05-2016 03:42 PM
AlwaysSunny Offline
1st String

I Root For: NCAA
I honestly stopped reading at all 10 conference champs get a bid.
01-05-2016 03:46 PM
FloridaJag Offline
All American

(01-05-2016 03:46 PM)AlwaysSunny Wrote:  I honestly stopped reading at all 10 conference champs get a bid.

Reading is fundamental my friend.
01-05-2016 04:28 PM
Advertisement

ark30inf Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Arkansas State
(01-05-2016 03:46 PM)AlwaysSunny Wrote:  I honestly stopped reading at all 10 conference champs get a bid.
That would be an ok place to stop. It would make it like an actual normal sports league. But we probably do need at least a couple of wildcards.
01-05-2016 04:32 PM
CAJUNNATION Offline
1st String

I have been doing this "Mother" playoff bracket for over a decade and posting them here and on our board.

I'm under no delusion that this will ever be adopted, but I do enjoy seeing who matches up in each round. Some years, a G5 school is hosting in the first round.

It's all in good fun, but I do believe that this is the best FBS college football playoff format you will ever see.

Until the CFP is inclusive of all FBS conferences and contains most of the schools in the Top 20 as well, any "National Champion" that is crowned will be just as mythical as the ones crowned by the polls before the BCS.

If we are not going to have a real playoff, I would rather we just went back to the old Bowl system and let the pollsters pick a champion.

They are really screwing up Bowl season right now, for nothing.
01-05-2016 04:38 PM
ark30inf Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-05-2016 04:38 PM)CAJUNNATION Wrote:  

I have been doing this "Mother" playoff bracket for over a decade and posting them here and on our board.

I'm under no delusion that this will ever be adopted, but I do enjoy seeing who matches up in each round. Some years, a G5 school is hosting in the first round.

It's all in good fun, but I do believe that this is the best FBS college football playoff format you will ever see.

Until the CFP is inclusive of all FBS conferences and contains most of the schools in the Top 20 as well, any "National Champion" that is crowned will be just as mythical as the ones crowned by the polls before the BCS.

If we are not going to have a real playoff, I would rather we just went back to the old Bowl system and let the pollsters pick a champion.

The current system is ludicrous. Not allowing all of your divisional/conference champions access to the playoff round because of budgets and biased perceptions....is not sports.
01-05-2016 04:44 PM
CAJUNNATION Offline
1st String

(01-05-2016 03:42 PM)FloridaJag Wrote:  They were big bowls before the BCS. The BCS is gone, the Cotton and Peach Bowls live on. They should host playoff games.

Under the Mother plan, the hosting of games in the first 2 rounds is crucial to the plan. There is a lot of money to be made by the host school. Also, I would rather not break up the big 4 Bowls from playing on the same day. If the Cotton and Peach are to be included, they can host the Semifinals.

Then, one of the big 4 can re-host the Championship.

Remember, there will still be a place for several Bowls to exist and for many good schools to have a postseason. There won't be near as many Bowls as today, but there will be some, sort of an FBS version of the NIT.
(This post was last modified: 01-05-2016 04:49 PM by CAJUNNATION.)
01-05-2016 04:46 PM
FloridaJag Offline
All American

Exclamation RE: Mother of all Playoffs 2015
(01-05-2016 04:46 PM)CAJUNNATION Wrote:  
(01-05-2016 03:42 PM)FloridaJag Wrote:  They were big bowls before the BCS. The BCS is gone, the Cotton and Peach Bowls live on. They should host playoff games.

Under the Mother plan, the hosting of games in the first 2 rounds is crucial to the plan. There is a lot of money to be made by the host school. Also, I would rather not break up the big 4 Bowls from playing on the same day. If the Cotton and Peach are to be included, they can host the Semifinals.

Then, one of the big 4 can re-host the Championship.

Remember, there will still be a place for several Bowls to exist and for many good schools to have a postseason. There won't be near as many Bowls as today, but there will be some, sort of an FBS version of the NIT.

The top 8 teams already get the benefit of a bye. Let the remaining games be played at current bowl sites. That way everybody gets paid.

I suggest the 2nd round aka Sweet 16 be played at neutral site bowls.

1. Holiday Bowl - San Diego
2. Cotton Bowl - Arlington
3. Peach Bowl - Atlanta
4. Citrus Bowl - Orlando
5. Alamo Bowl - San Antonio
6. Music City Bowl - Nashville
7. Outback Bowl - Tampa
8. Belk Bowl - Charlotte
01-05-2016 05:25 PM
Advertisement

AlwaysSunny Offline
1st String

I Root For: NCAA
(01-05-2016 04:44 PM)ark30inf Wrote:  

The current system is ludicrous. Not allowing all of your divisional/conference champions access to the playoff round because of budgets and biased perceptions....is not sports.

lol. Do you really believe the Sunbelt, Mac and CUSA deserve the same amount of playoff spots as the SEC, Big 10, Big 12, Pac 12 or ACC? As bad as the SEC has beaten the hell out of other P5 teams, who on earth would've wanted to see a Ark State vs Bama/Clemson/MSU/Oklahoma matchup? I mean I get the argument but just no. Especially when there are probably 3-4 teams from all of those conferences that could easily make the argument that they'd be a better candidate...and they would. That logic is why the P5 wants to break away to begin with, and then what?
01-05-2016 06:24 PM
ark30inf Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-05-2016 06:24 PM)AlwaysSunny Wrote:  

lol. Do you really believe the Sunbelt, Mac and CUSA deserve the same amount of playoff spots as the SEC, Big 10, Big 12, Pac 12 or ACC? As bad as the SEC has beaten the hell out of other P5 teams, who on earth would've wanted to see a Ark State vs Bama/Clemson/MSU/Oklahoma matchup? I mean I get the argument but just no. Especially when there are probably 3-4 teams from all of those conferences that could easily make the argument that they'd be a better candidate...and they would. That logic is why the P5 wants to break away to begin with, and then what?
Every division/conference champion in ANY SPORTS LEAGUE ANYWHERE deserve equal treatment in terms of playoff access.

What sort of freaking league doesn't allow its divisional champions into the title hunt? NONE. Because it is ludicrous.

Oh, the SEC East sucks...so we're banning them from ever getting into the SEC title game....WTH?

This weird lack of access makes parity WORSE. It is a self fulfilling prophecy.

Jeez...are you that brainwashed that you no longer understand that sports leagues ain't supposed to work like this?
01-05-2016 06:40 PM
CajunFanatico Offline
QDEP

I Root For: Cajuns
(01-05-2016 06:40 PM)ark30inf Wrote:  
(01-05-2016 06:24 PM)AlwaysSunny Wrote:  

Every division/conference champion in ANY SPORTS LEAGUE ANYWHERE deserve equal treatment in terms of playoff access.

What sort of freaking league doesn't allow its divisional champions into the title hunt? NONE. Because it is ludicrous.

Oh, the SEC East sucks...so we're banning them from ever getting into the SEC title game....WTH?

This weird lack of access makes parity WORSE. It is a self fulfilling prophecy.

Jeez...are you that brainwashed that you no longer understand that sports leagues ain't supposed to work like this?

Indeed. Look at college baseball.
01-05-2016 09:50 PM
svvandal Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Idaho
Why do you insist on using conference champions? The Sun Belt champion would have a mediocre conference record in any P5 conference. The intent of any playoff system that uses conference champions cannot be to award a champion, because the seeding system is flawed from the start.

Instead, use a mix of PROVEN, PREDICTIVE strength indices to develop a power ranking and seed an 8 or 16 seed bracket with the top teams in the power ranking.
01-05-2016 10:03 PM
ark30inf Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-05-2016 10:03 PM)svvandal Wrote:  Why do you insist on using conference champions? The Sun Belt champion would have a mediocre conference record in any P5 conference. The intent of any playoff system that uses conference champions cannot be to award a champion, because the seeding system is flawed from the start.

Instead, use a mix of PROVEN, PREDICTIVE strength indices to develop a power ranking and seed an 8 or 16 seed bracket with the top teams in the power ranking.

Then why not just limit the playoff to 4 SEC West teams and be done with it? Evidence seems to show that they have the greatest strength.

Why have an SEC East and SEC West team in the SEC Champ game? They are obviously weaker. Why not take a poll and put the two SEC West teams that get the most poll votes regardless of records?

Do you really think it is healthy for FBS to make the disparities between conferences WORSE by giving some unequal treatment in regard to playoff access?

You aren't allowed to get a job because you are unemployed. You aren't allowed to go to school because you are uneducated. You are not allowed to have money because you are poor.

This is no way to run a sports league.
01-05-2016 10:23 PM
Advertisement

CAJUNNATION Offline
1st String

(01-05-2016 05:25 PM)FloridaJag Wrote:  Let the remaining games be played at current bowl sites. That way everybody gets paid.

Everybody loses money that way. Most Bowl games are financial losers for the participant schools. Hosting a playoff game is a guaranteed sellout for the host school. I'm sure some sort of agreement could be worked out to cover travel expenses for the visiting team, but the host school will make serious money from the gate and the concessions alone.

After that, every school that participates in the playoff gets a check just like the basketball tourney.
01-06-2016 09:58 AM
CAJUNNATION Offline
1st String

This year, conference championship games were on Dec. 5th.

First round playoff games would have been on Dec. 19th.

Sweet 16 on Dec. 26th.

Elite 8 on Jan. 1. New Years Day big 4 Bowls kept intact.

NFL playoffs begin the following weekend. So, the semifinals would be best on the Monday night following on Jan 11th. championship a week later.
(This post was last modified: 01-06-2016 11:12 AM by CAJUNNATION.)
01-06-2016 11:11 AM
Yosef84 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Appalachian St
(01-05-2016 10:03 PM)svvandal Wrote:  Why do you insist on using conference champions? The Sun Belt champion would have a mediocre conference record in any P5 conference. The intent of any playoff system that uses conference champions cannot be to award a champion, because the seeding system is flawed from the start.

And just like that, you re-create the BCS system. The idea behind conference champions being included (even though possibly seeded low in the play-off) is that schedules are driven by conference and power ratings are based on strength of schedule. It's true that right now, the SBC/CUSA/MWC/MAC champs might not have a valid claim to the national title, but the system has to be set up to exclude advanced bias. Inclusion of all conference champions would help to eliminate systemic bias.

I think that 24 teams is way more than needed for identifying a champ. 16 is probably an ideal number, but even 12 would work. The current system gives a token nod to the G5 but doesn't really go far enough. It doesn't even give full coverage to the P5.
01-06-2016 02:18 PM
Pounce FTW Offline
All American

I Root For: GSU - MU - AU
Okay, HERE is how we solve it:

8 team playoff

5 P5 champs
2 at-large (can be P5 or G5)
Seed those 1-7

THEN, all of the conference champs that aren't already in the mix play in an Access Jamboree the week after CCGs. One quarter against each of the other teams. It'll be an all-day affair at a neutral site; the team with the best point differential gets the 8th playoff spot.

The New Year's Six serve as quarters and semis.

Fun for everyone.

I'm kind of serious.
01-06-2016 02:32 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.