Expansion sooner rather than later
07-21-2015 01:20 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Bobcat87 Offline
San Marvelous Cat

I Root For: TXST, A&M, UNT
RE: Expansion sooner rather than later
(07-21-2015 01:20 PM)BirdofParadise Wrote:  http://espn1420.com/is-sun-belt-expansio...irds-nest/

Enough with all the "Will they . . . or . . . Won't they". Get 'er done already.
07-21-2015 01:26 PM
rokamortis Offline
All American

I Root For: Coastal
Just a small correction, Coastal is only about 11 miles from Myrtle Beach or the MB airport. The school was in the unincorporated part of the county between the two cities until Conway incorporated it in the last 10-20 years. When you map Conway it is about 5 miles further than Coastal is from MB.

I'm a little surprised that he doesn't mention men's soccer either, Coastal would certainly help in that sport as well 1) from quality and 2) to help bring the numbers back up.
(This post was last modified: 07-21-2015 01:49 PM by rokamortis.)
07-21-2015 01:49 PM
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
Just so we're entirely clear...BOP would love nothing more than to have paid "business" trips to Myrtle beach a couple times a year. He's probably already looking up House rental options on the beach.

Coastal Carolina having a decent basketball and a great baseball program (And Again I must SCREAM that this league MUST improve baseball as well) is secondary to the location.
07-21-2015 01:50 PM
chiefsfan Offline

(07-21-2015 01:26 PM)Bobcat87 Wrote:  
(07-21-2015 01:20 PM)BirdofParadise Wrote:  http://espn1420.com/is-sun-belt-expansio...irds-nest/

Enough with all the "Will they . . . or . . . Won't they". Get 'er done already.

Again, unless we plan on giving Coastal a delayed admission plan, where they bring Olympic Sports into the league early, while football plays FCS Independent for a year or two while they improve facilties to FBS Level, it makes no sense to announce now, when we could just announce after football season.
(This post was last modified: 07-21-2015 01:52 PM by chiefsfan.)
07-21-2015 01:51 PM
FoUTASportscaster Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UTA
I'm good with Coastal.
07-21-2015 01:54 PM
Advertisement

CajunAmos Offline
All American

I Root For: Cajuns
I have to say Myrtle Beach would be a very attractive extended weekend trip. Just saying.
07-21-2015 01:57 PM
Crump1 Offline
All American

I Root For: stAte
I cannot watch the video. Someone fill me in. If the premise is that we are going to expand soon then I agree.
07-21-2015 01:59 PM
EKUSteve Online
1st String

I Root For: EKU & A&M
Per the link, potential expansion will be revisited in the off season.

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com...n/related/
07-21-2015 02:08 PM
Georgia_Power_Company Offline
All American

I Root For: GA Southern
(07-21-2015 01:49 PM)rokamortis Wrote:  Just a small correction, Coastal is only about 11 miles from Myrtle Beach or the MB airport. The school was in the unincorporated part of the county between the two cities until Conway incorporated it in the last 10-20 years. When you map Conway it is about 5 miles further than Coastal is from MB.

I'm a little surprised that he doesn't mention men's soccer either, Coastal would certainly help in that sport as well 1) from quality and 2) to help bring the numbers back up.

Another correction is the BOP says that adding NMSU would bring us to 12 in football but of course that's incorrect.
07-21-2015 02:09 PM
BirdofParadise Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(07-21-2015 02:09 PM)Georgia_Power_Company Wrote:  
(07-21-2015 01:49 PM)rokamortis Wrote:  Just a small correction, Coastal is only about 11 miles from Myrtle Beach or the MB airport. The school was in the unincorporated part of the county between the two cities until Conway incorporated it in the last 10-20 years. When you map Conway it is about 5 miles further than Coastal is from MB.

Another correction is the BOP says that adding NMSU would bring us to 12 in football but of course that's incorrect.

I fixed it. Thanks for pointing it out.
07-21-2015 02:24 PM
Advertisement

rokamortis Offline
All American

I Root For: Coastal
(07-21-2015 01:50 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  Just so we're entirely clear...BOP would love nothing more than to have paid "business" trips to Myrtle beach a couple times a year. He's probably already looking up House rental options on the beach.

We all need perks in our jobs 03-cloud9
07-21-2015 02:26 PM
Louisiana99 Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisiana

Probably because we don't have a men's soccer team
07-21-2015 02:26 PM
GoAppsGo92 Offline
1st String

I Root For: TheMountaineers
(07-21-2015 02:08 PM)EKUSteve Wrote:  Per the link, potential expansion will be revisited in the off season.

It says the discussion of a championship game will be visited in the offseason. Words mean things. Replacing WKU has been and will continue to be discussed and I think has been narrowed down to a few candidates. And it could very well be a decision will be made by end of August if not sooner.
07-21-2015 03:06 PM
gsu95 Offline
Fifth Estate

I Root For: USC, GS

Yep. I actually attended Coastal for a spring semester way back in the day (80s). Fun times. It was CCC then, only about 4,000 or so students. My thing was going to school on the beach. It wasn't really ON the beach, but it was close enough at the time. Sold $3 sunglasses out of a metal stand for a fat yankee named Harry, went to pool parties every night, would hop from motel pool to motel pool on the weekends .... couldn't beat it it with a stick.
07-21-2015 03:34 PM
Eagle's Cliff Offline
1st String

I Root For: Ga Southern
If we're not really thinking about football, why not College of Charleston? Good school, good footprint, excellent baseball, basketball, softball, and soccer.
07-21-2015 03:41 PM
Advertisement

GSU Eagles Offline
Heisman

I Root For: GeorgiaSouthern
Bring on coastal. It might make sense for App/Gast and GS/Coastal to be travel partners.
07-21-2015 03:46 PM
chiefsfan Offline

(07-21-2015 03:41 PM)Eagles Cliff Wrote:  If we're not really thinking about football, why not College of Charleston? Good school, good footprint, excellent baseball, basketball, softball, and soccer.

Because we're likely going to need to offer football as a carrot to get a team to move. SBC Doesn't exactly have a great basketball reputation.

Thing is, Big South doesn't have a great basketball reputation either, so it's more likely that Coastal would be willing to move Olympic Sports in exchange for a football invite a couple years down the road when the program is ready.
07-21-2015 03:49 PM
EKUSteve Online
1st String

I Root For: EKU & A&M
(07-21-2015 03:06 PM)GoAppsGo92 Wrote:  
(07-21-2015 02:08 PM)EKUSteve Wrote:  Per the link, potential expansion will be revisited in the off season.

It says the discussion of a championship game will be visited in the offseason. Words mean things. Replacing WKU has been and will continue to be discussed and I think has been narrowed down to a few candidates. And it could very well be a decision will be made by end of August if not sooner.

"Sun Belt commissioner Karl Benson said the conference is no longer using the possibility of holding a conference championship game as a means for expansion, but the topic will be revisited in the offseason."

I took that as a potential conference championship game was not the driving force for any potential expansion. However it works out is fine by me....
I agree the decision could be made by the end of Aug, just not sure it would be announced until the off season as to not interfere with the season ahead.
07-21-2015 03:57 PM
Georgia_Power_Company Offline
All American

I Root For: GA Southern
(07-21-2015 03:57 PM)EKUSteve Wrote:  
(07-21-2015 03:06 PM)GoAppsGo92 Wrote:  

"Sun Belt commissioner Karl Benson said the conference is no longer using the possibility of holding a conference championship game as a means for expansion, but the topic will be revisited in the offseason."

I took that as a potential conference championship game was not the driving force for any potential expansion. However it works out is fine by me....
I agree the decision could be made by the end of Aug, just not sure it would be announced until the off season as to not interfere with the season ahead.

I took it as meaning that the Presidents and ADs have decided that we have no need for a championship game immediately so we can wait on a school to be ready to move up. At the same time they want to fix basketball scheduling so reading between the lines says invite Coastal or less likely EKU to join for Olympics in 2016 and give them a longer timeline to move football up (say 2018) or I guess invite an Olympic only school with no football team at all is also a possibility.
07-21-2015 04:10 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.