Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Tearing Down Goalposts
Bookmark and Share
DoubleAggie Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
Tearing Down Goalposts
The App postings about goal post teardowns made me wonder: how common is this at your school?

I've seen it twice at NMSU: Once after ending a long losing streak and once after beating rival UNM.

In 2002 ( in the Sun Belt ), the Aggies and UNT were both undefeated in conference and met effectively for the conference championship in Denton, and I went.

NMSU led going into the fourth quarter but turned over the ball and the game.

Anyway, UNT 'tore-down' the goal post but they were kinda smart.

I went on the field after the game and saw the goal posts were detachable, so after parading the goal post around, it was replaced and ready for the next game.

The alcohol induced mob mentality that goes with the 'tear-down' can be dangerous to the unthinking, particularly with those stubborn permanent jobbies.
07-09-2015 01:25 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Klak Offline
1st String

I Root For: Ga Southern
RE: Tearing Down Goalposts
Southern fans have rushed the field a few times recently, but we haven't torn down the goal posts in a long time. Maybe the late 90s?
07-09-2015 01:29 PM
RamblinRedWolf44 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Arkansas StAte
I've only seen it once in Jonesboro---it was the 2006 victory over Army and it was done after the Black Knights cadets and fans rushed their field and tore down their goal posts the season before after obliterating us in West Point
07-09-2015 01:36 PM
NCeagle Offline
NOT BANNED

yeah, no field goal post tearing down since I started at Southern. definitely rushed the field a couple times, home and away. haha
07-09-2015 01:37 PM
Klak Offline
1st String

(07-09-2015 01:37 PM)NCeagle Wrote:  yeah, no field goal post tearing down since I started at Southern. definitely rushed the field a couple times, home and away. haha

Rushing someone else's field is awesome. Everyone should be a part of that at least once. :)
07-09-2015 01:44 PM
CajunAmos Offline
All American

I Root For: Cajuns
Only time I'm aware of in Cajun history would be the victory over Texas A&M.
07-09-2015 01:50 PM
Advertisement

NCeagle Offline
NOT BANNED

(07-09-2015 01:44 PM)Klak Wrote:  
(07-09-2015 01:37 PM)NCeagle Wrote:  yeah, no field goal post tearing down since I started at Southern. definitely rushed the field a couple times, home and away. haha

Rushing someone else's field is awesome. Everyone should be a part of that at least once. :)

poor Wofford. Their stadium announcer is a prick.
07-09-2015 01:52 PM
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
(07-09-2015 01:36 PM)RamblinRedWolf44 Wrote:  I've only seen it once in Jonesboro---it was the 2006 victory over Army and it was done after the Black Knights cadets and fans rushed their field and tore down their goal posts the season before after obliterating us in West Point

The funny part about that game was that our AD at the time actually gave fans permission to tear down the goal posts pre game if we won... We were coming off our first modern bowl appearance, and there was a lot of excitement. Story goes that the school knew they needed to replace the goalposts anyway, but didn't want to pay anyone to come take them down, so they got students to do it after beating Army.

Anywho, those goal posts were never seen again, and new ones were up by the 2nd home game that year.

Since I've become a fan, we've had several field stormings. After beating Troy in 2011 to win the title outright, and beating MTSU in 2012 to win the title again are two notable ones. The Army game remains the only tiem fans have taken down the goal posts. In recent times the school has openly invited all fans to come on the field after a big win to celebrate, which means you get 6 and 7 year olds involved...not just drunk twenty somethings. It keeps the students in check.

I'd really like a good field storming this year.
(This post was last modified: 07-09-2015 02:09 PM by chiefsfan.)
07-09-2015 02:05 PM
T-Dog Offline
SunBeltbbs App State INsider

I Root For: App State
AFAIK, here's the times App State tore em down.

Braves win the pennant in 1991
Marshall 1994 (#1 goes down)
Georgia Southern 1999 (#1 goes down)
Furman 2002 (Go For Two)
Georgia Southern 2003 (the bus incident)
FCS Semis vs Furman 2005
FCS Semis vs Youngstown State 2006
Michigan 2007
FCS Semis vs Richmond 2007
Obama 2008
07-09-2015 02:13 PM
NCeagle Offline
NOT BANNED

(07-09-2015 02:05 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  
(07-09-2015 01:36 PM)RamblinRedWolf44 Wrote:  I've only seen it once in Jonesboro---it was the 2006 victory over Army and it was done after the Black Knights cadets and fans rushed their field and tore down their goal posts the season before after obliterating us in West Point

The funny part about that game was that our AD at the time actually gave fans permission to tear down the goal posts pre game if we won... We were coming off our first modern bowl appearance, and there was a lot of excitement. Story goes that the school knew they needed to replace the goalposts anyway, but didn't want to pay anyone to come take them down, so they got students to do it after beating Army.

Anywho, those goal posts were never seen again, and new ones were up by the 2nd home game that year.

Since I've become a fan, we've had several field stormings. After beating Troy in 2011 to win the title outright, and beating MTSU in 2012 to win the title again are two notable ones. The Army game remains the only tiem fans have taken down the goal posts. In recent times the school has openly invited all fans to come on the field after a big win to celebrate, which means you get 6 and 7 year olds involved...not just drunk twenty somethings. It keeps the students in check.

it is cool to see an administration get behind fan excitement like that. After we beat ULM, they immediately got over the PA system telling fans to run on the field and celebrate with the team.
07-09-2015 02:14 PM
TheRevSWT Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Bobcats!
We're gonna wait until a bowl victory to tear down the goal posts...

Reason 1: It's a big accomplishment
Reason 2: it's not ours, so we don't have to pay for it.

(yes, I know we would end up having to pay for it, and probably get blackballed in bowls for such an act... it was just a joke)
07-09-2015 02:19 PM
Advertisement

chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
(07-09-2015 02:14 PM)NCeagle Wrote:  

it is cool to see an administration get behind fan excitement like that. After we beat ULM, they immediately got over the PA system telling fans to run on the field and celebrate with the team.

Well, it helped that we won both those games by 30 plus points, so there was plenty of 4th quarter time to advertise it. Funny thing is, it had unintended consequences. In 2011, it was just a celebration after beating Troy. We had already won the title winning at MTSU the week before, and we waited for the trophy presentation until after the season at a basketball game.

The next year, one of our new AD came up with the idea of holding the trophy ceremony on the field after the game in front of fans, and invite fans to get their picture taken with the Trophy and with players afterwards. it was a wonderful idea, and I'm sure MTSU loved hearing the advertisements for the trophy ceremony all 4th quarter while down 45 points...but it happened.

Unfortunately, that meant that Karl Benson had to come out on the field to present us with the Trophy, and our fans HATE Karl Benson. I think this was a few weeks after he made a controversial suspension of an ASU Player despite his Supervisor of Officials recommending no punishment. Anyway, he gets introduced, and the entire crowd proceeds to boo him...hurl insults...the usual for 3 whole minutes while he tries to hand a trophy over. Booing didnt stop until he handed us the Trophy and walked off. It was funny, but a pretty embarrassing moment for Benson who was still in his first year in charge of the conference at the time.
07-09-2015 02:25 PM
TheEagleWay Offline
POWER OVERWHELMING

I Root For: TheNatCapital
Was not apart of one during my time at Southern (04-08).

Cool goalpost story:

My brother took me to see GT vs Auburn in 2003 in Atlanta. In the last quarter of the game, my brother tells me he needs to go and get something. He comes back with minutes to spare with something tucked away in his shorts. I eye balled it and ask "What is that?", "You'll find out" he replied. He tells me to get ready to rush the field. Right as time game was ending we flip over the wall going down and my flip-flops go flying off my feet into the crowd. We both darted towards the goal post and ended up hanging off it like monkeys. As more bodies started straddling the post, the post began to buckle. I hear a loud POP and the whole mob jerked with the tumbling post. Mob chanted "To the Presidents house" and security allowed us to go through the tunnel. I panicked not having anything on my feet and so I grabbed the nearest pair of flipflops as we ran with the post.

The mob carried the goal post down Greek Row on the way to the President's house and we thwarted an attempt by a Fraternity trying to steal it for themselves. Immediately after we arrived at the Presidents house, my brother pulled out what he had tucked away in his pants.....

A hacksaw. Yes, he snuck a hacksaw into Bobby Dodd Stadium.

He sawed while myself and 2 of his chapter brothers stood around the tip. Soon a few students arrived with a blowtorch and we could feel intense heat coming out of the hole at the top of the post. Exhausted, m brother finally finished it and we hightailed it away from the mob with our 6 inch piece of goal post.

Later we took it to a machine shop and got rings cut out for each of us.

Need proof? My brother is the one with the hacksaw.

https://smartech.gatech.edu/bitstream/ha...sequence=2
(This post was last modified: 07-09-2015 03:48 PM by TheEagleWay.)
07-09-2015 03:23 PM
boroeagle2 Offline
1st String

I Root For: GA SOUTHERN
We can't afford to do that anymore. Here's hoping we content ourselves with field rushing. lol
07-09-2015 03:25 PM
DoubleAggie Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
(07-09-2015 03:23 PM)TheEagleWay Wrote:  I've never been apart of one during my time at Southern (04-08).

Cool goalpost story:

My brother took me to see GT vs Auburn in 2003 in Atlanta. In the last quarter of the game, my brother tells me he needs to go and get something. He comes back with minutes to spare with something tucked away in his shorts. I eye balled it and ask "What is that?", "You'll find out" he replied. He tells me to get ready to rush the field. Right as time game was ending we flip over the wall going down and my flip-flops go flying off my feet into the crowd. We both darted towards the goal post and ended up hanging off it like monkeys. As more bodies started straddling the post, the post began to buckle. I hear a loud POP and the whole mob jerked with the tumbling post. Mob chanted "To the Presidents house" and security allowed us to go through the tunnel. I panicked not having anything on my feet and so I grabbed the nearest pair of flipflops as we ran with the post.

The mob carried the goal post down Greek Row on the way to the President's house and we thwarted an attempt by a Fraternity trying to steal it for themselves. Immediately after we arrived at the Presidents house, my brother pulled out what he had tucked away in his pants.....

He sawed while myself and 2 of his chapter brothers stood around the tip. Soon a few students arrived with a blowtorch and we could feel intense heat coming out of the hole at the top of the post. Exhausted, m brother finally finished it and we hightailed it away from the mob with our 6 inch piece of goal post.

Nice.

The students I last saw taking down a goalpost were frustrated by the resilience of the thing,
and started climbing to the top of the uprights to get leverage!

It must have been the most intoxicated that climbed, but fortunately, no serious casualties.
07-09-2015 03:31 PM
NCeagle Offline
NOT BANNED

(07-09-2015 03:23 PM)TheEagleWay Wrote:  I've never been apart of one during my time at Southern (04-08).

Cool goalpost story:

that is an awesome story
07-09-2015 03:39 PM
Advertisement

RamblinRedWolf44 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Arkansas StAte
Very cool aspect of that story was the game took place on my birthday (September 2) and years later someone actually gave me a piece of the goal post that was tore down that has the date of the game with the final score

Still sits in my home office to this day

(This post was last modified: 07-09-2015 03:50 PM by RamblinRedWolf44.)
07-09-2015 03:50 PM
CajunFanatico Offline
QDEP

(07-09-2015 02:14 PM)NCeagle Wrote:  it is cool to see an administration get behind fan excitement like that. After we beat ULM, they immediately got over the PA system telling fans to run on the field and celebrate with the team.

And all this time I thought that was done to keep from giving the refs time to realize they'd missed that pass intereference call to end the game.
07-09-2015 03:53 PM
NCeagle Offline
NOT BANNED

(07-09-2015 03:53 PM)CajunFanatico Wrote:  
(07-09-2015 02:14 PM)NCeagle Wrote:  it is cool to see an administration get behind fan excitement like that. After we beat ULM, they immediately got over the PA system telling fans to run on the field and celebrate with the team.

And all this time I thought that was done to keep from giving the refs time to realize they'd missed that pass intereference call to end the game.

03-lmfao
07-09-2015 03:55 PM
CajunFanatico Offline
QDEP

(07-09-2015 03:55 PM)NCeagle Wrote:  
(07-09-2015 03:53 PM)CajunFanatico Wrote:  

03-lmfao

You're right. It wasn't pass intereference......they'd failed to call the touchdown even though the receiver had possession.

My bad.
07-09-2015 04:00 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.