Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Temple Stadium
carolinaknights Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Rutgers / South
Temple Stadium
When is Temple going to announce the site for their new stadium and the start date. Read an article that said March 1, 2015 or there about was the announcement date. Also read Temple cut off negotiations with Laurie and the LINC. The current contract runs out for $1 to $1.5 million dollars a year in 2017. Read Laurie wants 12 million dollars up front and $3 million dollars a year in the next rental contract. Whats going on. Your only other options are to try and negotiate a lease at Franklin Field on Penn's Campus or try to work a deal with the Union and Delaware County for access to the soccer stadium in Chester.
04-11-2015 07:38 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

panama Offline
Legend

I Root For: Georgia STATE
RE: Temple Stadium
I can only assume either everyone in administration is not on same page or the money (source) isnt there (yet). I know in our case the hold up is the Atlanta Braves formally announcing an exit date. Otherwise everyone administration and city hall wise is on the same page. I really hope this happens for Temple.
04-11-2015 07:53 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
sfink16 Offline
All American

I Root For: Temple
(04-11-2015 07:38 AM)carolinaknights Wrote:  When is Temple going to announce the site for their new stadium and the start date. Read an article that said March 1, 2015 or there about was the announcement date. Also read Temple cut off negotiations with Laurie and the LINC. The current contract runs out for $1 to $1.5 million dollars a year in 2017. Read Laurie wants 12 million dollars up front and $3 million dollars a year in the next rental contract. Whats going on. Your only other options are to try and negotiate a lease at Franklin Field on Penn's Campus or try to work a deal with the Union and Delaware County for access to the soccer stadium in Chester.

As a Pennsylvania tax payer, I'm still p!ssed that we paid for the stadium(s) and the Eagles control The LINC. When do tax payers have a say in anything we put our money into?
04-11-2015 08:16 AM
panama Offline
Legend

(04-11-2015 08:16 AM)sfink16 Wrote:  
(04-11-2015 07:38 AM)carolinaknights Wrote:  When is Temple going to announce the site for their new stadium and the start date. Read an article that said March 1, 2015 or there about was the announcement date. Also read Temple cut off negotiations with Laurie and the LINC. The current contract runs out for $1 to $1.5 million dollars a year in 2017. Read Laurie wants 12 million dollars up front and $3 million dollars a year in the next rental contract. Whats going on. Your only other options are to try and negotiate a lease at Franklin Field on Penn's Campus or try to work a deal with the Union and Delaware County for access to the soccer stadium in Chester.

As a Pennsylvania tax payer, I'm still p!ssed that we paid for the stadium(s) and the Eagles control The LINC. When do tax payers have a say in anything we put our money into?

They are building stadiums at a cost of $2B here with minimal opposition. That is a battle youre just not going to win. I at this point am just happy that the Braves exit benefits GSU.
04-11-2015 08:52 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
AGuyIn_Water Offline
2nd String

I Root For: UCF
Temple ever going to have a stadium???

I thought Temple is in Philly. When does Philly lack stadiums to play??

BTW how many fans are going to show up with a new stadium?? What is their season tickets base now?
04-11-2015 08:57 AM
panama Offline
Legend

I think if possible OCS should always be the goal. The big idea behind sponsoring athletics is to get alumni and residents on campus so that they have some attachment and donate to academics. That is always going to be harder the further away from campus your revenue sports play,
04-11-2015 09:13 AM
Advertisement

carolinaknights Offline
Bench Warmer

(04-11-2015 08:57 AM)AGuyIn_Water Wrote:  Temple ever going to have a stadium???

BTW how many fans are going to show up with a new stadium?? What is their season tickets base now?

Yes Temple is in Philly but where is there enough land to build a FB stadium with parking to put the new venue.

Temple's options are build a stadium, continue to rent the LINC, try to play at Franklin Field with Penn, or play in the soccer stadium in Chester offering up funds to expand it to 30k.

Average attendance is 23+k.

2015 season will be overstated with homes games with Penn State and Notre Dame which will sell out the LINC.

The LINC is a great venue for FB for the Eagles and Temple. It is a short subway or bus ride away for students and Philadelphia spectators, has great parking for tailgating, and the new sports bar venue provides entertainment and eating venues before and after the game.

Temple needs to seriously negotiate a solid deal with city and state government help to keep their games there along with a better working relationship with Laurie and the Eagles at a fair market price. After all the venue was build with a lot of state and city funds, bonds, and tax concessions to keep the Eagles there.

Temple also needs to keep bringing schools like Rutgers, Navy, and Army there with 35 + attendance numbers, and get at least one heavy hitter there annually or every other year like Penn State or Notre Dame to sell the place out once a year. Temple also needs to keep the Mayor's Cup going on a regular basis with Villanova as that game sells 35 - 40 thousand tickets annually too.

Temple has a great venue at the LINC. They just need to keep winning and improving their product as they have in recent years and schedule better out of conference games to get the crowds there. The more money they make for Laurie with the food and beer concessions, and parking fees along with a reasonable rent, the easier it is to get along with Laurie and the Eagles to stay at a great Philadelphia venue. Its cheaper to rent for a couple of million dollars a year than it is to build a $100 to $300 million dollar stadium that you won't fill.
(This post was last modified: 04-11-2015 09:39 AM by carolinaknights.)
04-11-2015 09:36 AM
AGuyIn_Water Offline
2nd String

I Root For: UCF
Darn, Philly is a really different city.

I am just lucky that I am in Orlando 03-razz
04-11-2015 09:47 AM
panama Offline
Legend

(04-11-2015 09:36 AM)carolinaknights Wrote:  
(04-11-2015 08:57 AM)AGuyIn_Water Wrote:  Temple ever going to have a stadium???

Yes Temple is in Philly but where is there enough land to build a FB stadium with parking to put the new venue.

Temple's options are build a stadium, continue to rent the LINC, try to play at Franklin Field with Penn, or play in the soccer stadium in Chester offering up funds to expand it to 30k.

2015 season will be overstated with homes games with Penn State and Notre Dame which will sell out the LINC.

The LINC is a great venue for FB for the Eagles and Temple. It is a short subway or bus ride away for students and Philadelphia spectators, has great parking for tailgating, and the new sports bar venue provides entertainment and eating venues before and after the game.

Temple needs to seriously negotiate a solid deal with city and state government help to keep their games there along with a better working relationship with Laurie and the Eagles at a fair market price. After all the venue was build with a lot of state and city funds, bonds, and tax concessions to keep the Eagles there.

Temple also needs to keep bringing schools like Rutgers, Navy, and Army there with 35 + attendance numbers, and get at least one heavy hitter there annually or every other year like Penn State or Notre Dame to sell the place out once a year. Temple also needs to keep the Mayor's Cup going on a regular basis with Villanova as that game sells 35 - 40 thousand tickets annually too.

Temple has a great venue at the LINC. They just need to keep winning and improving their product as they have in recent years and schedule better out of conference games to get the crowds there. The more money they make for Laurie with the food and beer concessions, and parking fees along with a reasonable rent, the easier it is to get along with Laurie and the Eagles to stay at a great Philadelphia venue. Its cheaper to rent for a couple of million dollars a year than it is to build a $100 to $300 million dollar stadium that you won't fill.

Sure would like to hear some Temple folks weigh in.
04-11-2015 10:07 AM
wave97 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: The Green Wave

This is the dilemma as I see it. Having grown up in Philadelphia I am a Temple Football fan. Having attended Tulane with it's sad history of football accomplishments I feel Temple's pain. When Tulane wins it's sad because the administration does not believe that football matters enough to retain successful coaches which devolves into poor hires, apathy & despair.
However, when Tulane wins the fans show up. In metro Philadelphia I just don't see fans & alumni showing up to a boutique 35,000 seat stadium on North Broad Street regardless of Temple's record.
(This post was last modified: 04-11-2015 10:13 AM by wave97.)
04-11-2015 10:08 AM
panama Offline
Legend

(04-11-2015 10:08 AM)wave97 Wrote:  

This is the dilemma as I see it. Having grown up in Philadelphia I am a Temple Football fan. Having attended Tulane with it's sad history of football accomplishments I feel Temple's pain. When Tulane wins it's sad because the administration does not believe that football matters enough to retain successful coaches which devolves into poor hires, apathy & despair.
However, when Tulane wins the fans show up. In metro Philadelphia I just don't see fans & alumni showing up to a boutique 35,000 seat stadium on North Broad Street regardless of Temple's record.

It would take sustained winning. They are not showing up in any major city after one or two winning seasons followed by a losing one
04-11-2015 10:54 AM
Advertisement

BigHouston Offline
STRONG

I Root For: HOUSTON, USC Trojans

That's not true

If you heavily promote (TV, Radio,) a certain sport down anyone's throat regularly, get 100% behind it by improving facilities and win, people will show... But if nothing is done about it, horrible expectations is what the end results will be.
04-11-2015 11:14 AM
carolinaknights Offline
Bench Warmer

(04-11-2015 10:07 AM)panama Wrote:  

Same here. I started this thread to try and get more info on the subject. I attend some Temple games with family that are Temple Alumni when they play Rutgers at the LINC and always have a good time. I also catch an occasional Eagles game there too. Great venue. Question is can Temple afford to stay there and / or can Temple afford to build a new stadium and if so where. They bought an old high school with in sight of the Temple Campus and are going through the motions to tear it down. Is it a viable sight, if not where, and at what cost. Just seems like all the info has dried up since the March 1, 2015 deadline has come and gone.

Too bad they tore their old 30k seat stadium down in the 90's and sold the property. That venue also had baseball and softball fields on it too. When it comes to sports Temple seems to have made some really questionable if not bad decisions over the years especially with the Football Program. Now that they have turned the program around with winning and bowl eligible seasons and have stimulated some fan interest what are they going to do to sustain that interest and build on the program and its venue. So where are the Temple supporters now. I know there are a few good Temple posters out there somewhere usually with some good reliable information.
04-11-2015 11:57 AM
panama Offline
Legend

(04-11-2015 11:57 AM)carolinaknights Wrote:  
(04-11-2015 10:07 AM)panama Wrote:  

Same here. I started this thread to try and get more info on the subject. I attend some Temple games with family that are Temple Alumni when they play Rutgers at the LINC and always have a good time. I also catch an occasional Eagles game there too. Great venue. Question is can Temple afford to stay there and / or can Temple afford to build a new stadium and if so where. They bought an old high school with in sight of the Temple Campus and are going through the motions to tear it down. Is it a viable sight, if not where, and at what cost. Just seems like all the info has dried up since the March 1, 2015 deadline has come and gone.

Too bad they tore their old 30k seat stadium down in the 90's and sold the property. That venue also had baseball and softball fields on it too. When it comes to sports Temple seems to have made some really questionable if not bad decisions over the years especially with the Football Program. Now that they have turned the program around with winning and bowl eligible seasons and have stimulated some fan interest what are they going to do to sustain that interest and build on the program and its venue. So where are the Temple supporters now. I know there are a few good Temple posters out there somewhere usually with some good reliable information.
A lot of city schools had decisions to make in the 70's, 80's and 90's regarding property and athletic facilities. Our Dahlberg Hall is the facade and front end of what used to be Atlanta Municipal Auditorium. The back half (the auditorium part) was demolished in '82 or '83. After the '96 Olympics the city offered us Atlanta Fulton County Stadium. At the time (1997) we didnt have the foresight in leadership to realize what we were being offered. So I can see why the Pitts, Tulanes and Temples tore down their OCSs at the time that did. Made sense at the time.
04-11-2015 12:08 PM
JHG722 Offline
Hall of Famer

We have the site for the stadium. Just need to work on some logistics to get everything cleared. We are moving our olympic sports to the site of the school we just bought and are building all new facilities there. The previous location of our on-campus olympic sports is where the stadium will be. It will likely be 34K-38K seats.
04-11-2015 12:20 PM
carolinaknights Offline
Bench Warmer

I see fans showing up to a 30-35k seat stadium with winning seasons. They average 23k now in the AAC with teams coming in from Texas, Florida, Cinn, NC, and Tennessee. What they need is smart OOC scheduling in the NE. Navy games will put 30-40k in the stands along with Rutgers games which put around 40k spectators in the stands. Temple needs to keep Villanova and Army on the schedule routinely too. Those games draw 30-40k. Games with big draws like Penn State and Notre Dame (both on the schedule at home this year) can still be played at the LINC if Temple builds a stadium. Laurie loves those games. They sell out and bring big parking fees and concession sales into the Eagle coffers.

Balanced OOC scheduling with regional schools that travel is very important as well as are regional games with UConn, Navy, and possibly ECU who is known to travel well. This is important along winning bowl eligible seasons whether Temple builds their own stadium or continues to rent at the LINC. If Temple can bring in Maryland, West Virginia and some other ACC and Big - 10 teams even if they are schools like Indiana, Duke, or Wake Forest along with Penn State every 3 years and score a Notre Dame home and home once in a while, there is no reason for the attendance numbers not to climb to 30-35k averages every year.
04-11-2015 12:24 PM
Advertisement

carolinaknights Offline
Bench Warmer

(04-11-2015 12:20 PM)JHG722 Wrote:  We have the site for the stadium. Just need to work on some logistics to get everything cleared. We are moving our olympic sports to the site of the school we just bought and are building all new facilities there. The previous location of our on-campus olympic sports is where the stadium will be. It will likely be 34K-38K seats.

Good info. Read that Temple would not be allowed to build a stadium at the newly acquired high school location. Is there an estimated timeline for any of these moves. The LINC agreements ends after 2017 I think. Temple may have to extend the lease a couple of years even if they got started now on the moves you have stated above.
04-11-2015 12:31 PM
BIgCatonProwl Offline
1st String

I Root For: Houston Cougars
What would "Old Ben" say?

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT9lSIx8fOIwidEOxP-BtR...9VQsP0zXJw]
(This post was last modified: 04-11-2015 12:46 PM by BIgCatonProwl.)
04-11-2015 12:44 PM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
(04-11-2015 12:24 PM)carolinaknights Wrote:  

I see fans showing up to a 30-35k seat stadium with winning seasons. They average 23k now in the AAC with teams coming in from Texas, Florida, Cinn, NC, and Tennessee. What they need is smart OOC scheduling in the NE. Navy games will put 30-40k in the stands along with Rutgers games which put around 40k spectators in the stands. Temple needs to keep Villanova and Army on the schedule routinely too. Those games draw 30-40k. Games with big draws like Penn State and Notre Dame (both on the schedule at home this year) can still be played at the LINC if Temple builds a stadium. Laurie loves those games. They sell out and bring big parking fees and concession sales into the Eagle coffers.

Balanced OOC scheduling with regional schools that travel is very important as well as are regional games with UConn, Navy, and possibly ECU who is known to travel well. This is important along winning bowl eligible seasons whether Temple builds their own stadium or continues to rent at the LINC. If Temple can bring in Maryland, West Virginia and some other ACC and Big - 10 teams even if they are schools like Indiana, Duke, or Wake Forest along with Penn State every 3 years and score a Notre Dame home and home once in a while, there is no reason for the attendance numbers not to climb to 30-35k averages every year.

My feeling is that G5 college football is kind of a niche sport in big Pro-sports cities. Houston, Philly, San Diego, Cinci, Dallas, etc---all similar in that regard. Even P5 football in pro cities like Pitt, Miami, and LA is hit and miss with crowd size. For a G5 in a pro city, a 30-50K on campus stadium is plenty. Texas is a little more football crazed than the northeast, so a 40-50K on campus stadium might be a topping out point for a school like Houston. Philly, in the less football crazed NE, maybe 35-40K in an OCS is closer to right mark. Sounds like Temple is on the right track to me.
(This post was last modified: 04-11-2015 12:51 PM by Attackcoog.)
04-11-2015 12:50 PM
JHG722 Offline
Hall of Famer

If you think Philly isn't football crazed, you haven't been here. It's far and away the most liked sport here.
04-11-2015 01:21 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.