Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Give a grade to your school's facilities in sports
Bookmark and Share
GaSoEagle Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Ga Southern
Give a grade to your school's facilities in sports
These ratings are to a large degree in comparison to other Sun Belt sports facilities.

For Ga. Southern here is how I would rate ours:

Football stadium: B-
I think our new football operations building is very nice and Paulson Stadium is adequate. The seats at Paulson are not very steep so in the lower bowl the height above the field level is not as high as many other stadiums, but the 2nd deck on the visitor side has great seats. Part of my B- rating is related to capacity. At 25,000 we need in the next few years to get capacity to 32-34,000.

Basketball: Hanner Fieldhouse: D
Our bball facitilty is probably the worst in the Sun Belt or at least in the bottom 2-3. Hate to agree with Cajun fans but it does look like a glorified high school gym. If there is a positive it is that when it is full or close to full it can be a big homecourt advantage. With capacity around 4800 it is small

Baseball: Clements Stadium : A-
This is a nice Sun Belt baseball facility. I have not been to many others in the league but I will take Commissioner Benson at his word when he said our baseball facility is one of the nicest 3-4 in the league. There are plenty of seats and they are very good seats. The concourse has a good amount of room. This facitilty is one of the nicest at Ga. Southern.
01-16-2015 11:47 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

TroyFootball05 Offline
1987 Man of the Year

I Root For: Good Times
RE: Give a grade to your school's facilities in sports
Football Stadium: B+
One of the best in the SBC. Major upgrades were made in 2003, including a huge pressbox upgrade and the switch from grass to astroturf. It was the best in the Sun Belt at the time, but needs a few modern touches. Seats 30,000. C+/B- if we were to include the field house. New field house/end zone facility set to break ground after the 2015 season.

Basketball Arena: A+
Arguably the best in the Sun Belt. It is not the biggest in the Sun Belt, but certainly has all the bells and whistles.

Baseball Field: A
We have a nice facility that gets new turf every few years. Not the best in the belt, but it's no pushover.

Overall, we have some pretty nice facilities. Not the SBCs best overall, but certainly top tier. Football field house and locker rooms need MAJOR overhauling. That is the only lingering concern. The stadium itself is very nice though.
(This post was last modified: 01-16-2015 11:58 AM by TroyFootball05.)
01-16-2015 11:56 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Complacent Cajun Offline
1st String

I Root For: Louisiana
Cajun Field (football): C+
Was a D before our south end zone additions, new video board, and restroom renovations. Hopefully when tier 2 of our master plan occurs, it'll jump up to an A.

Cajundome (basketball): B-
Nice facility. Scoreboard and HD ribbons look great. $60 million in improvements coming. One major emphasis is to get new retractable seating and bring it closer to the court, for a way better basketball environment.

The Tigue (baseball): D
One of the best baseball experiences you can have, but unfortunately a lacking facility. Would almost be an F if we didn't get that new lovely scoreboard. Need a brand new grandstand, better coaches offices, etc. Good news is all of that is coming in the next phase of the master plan.

Lamson Park (softball): A+
One of the best softball parks in college football.
01-16-2015 12:15 PM
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
I'm not grading football until our expansion is done. I'd give basketball a C. Not the greatest place to watch a game, but its capable. Baseball is a C as well. It was an F, but we've made a lot of cosmetic changes to make it more worthwhile for fans. We really need a new stadium to fix all of our issues.
01-16-2015 12:31 PM
Niner National Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers
(01-16-2015 12:15 PM)Complacent Cajun Wrote:  Cajun Field (football): C+
Was a D before our south end zone additions, new video board, and restroom renovations. Hopefully when tier 2 of our master plan occurs, it'll jump up to an A.

Cajundome (basketball): B-
Nice facility. Scoreboard and HD ribbons look great. $60 million in improvements coming. One major emphasis is to get new retractable seating and bring it closer to the court, for a way better basketball environment.

The Tigue (baseball): D
One of the best baseball experiences you can have, but unfortunately a lacking facility. Would almost be an F if we didn't get that new lovely scoreboard. Need a brand new grandstand, better coaches offices, etc. Good news is all of that is coming in the next phase of the master plan.

Lamson Park (softball): A+

It's probably the only softball park in college football. 03-drunk
01-16-2015 12:32 PM
bullitt_60 Offline
All American

(01-16-2015 11:47 AM)GaSoEagle Wrote:  Football stadium: B-
Part of my B- rating is related to capacity. At 25,000 we need in the next few years to get capacity to 32-34,000.

This is a nice Sun Belt baseball facility. I have not been to many others in the league but I will take Commissioner Benson at his word when he said our baseball facility is one of the nicest 3-4 in the league. There are plenty of seats and they are very good seats. The concourse has a good amount of room. This facitilty is one of the nicest at Ga. Southern.

Just a couple of comments, I would give Paulson a 'B+' because I think it's great and do not think we should expand until we have well exceeded the need. There should not be a push for an arbitrary number of seats, IMO.

Also, I'd give Clements an A+ because it rocks. :)

(01-16-2015 12:15 PM)Complacent Cajun Wrote:  Lamson Park (softball): A+

I'd go as far to say it is the nicest softball park in all of college football. 03-wink
01-16-2015 12:36 PM
Advertisement

BurlingtonApp Offline
1st String

I Root For: App State
Kidd Brewer Stadium: B+. I'd give it an A for the home side, concessions and new renovations, but the track and erector set-like away side kills it.

Holmes Convocation Center(Basketball): B-. Overall, a good size, decent facility. The outside looks incredible, but the concourses are frankly pretty ugly with the carpet. Atmosphere lacks a bit and could use a hanging scoreboard.

Beaver Field at Jim and Bettie Smith Stadium: C+. Although it's a beautiful setting, it's location hurts a bit. Pretty remote part of campus. Really the thing that hurts App baseball is it being so damn cold for most of the season. Renovations are on the way.
01-16-2015 01:17 PM
tx.state Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: TXST
I'll be the first to take a stab for TXST.

[Image: Bobcat_Stadium_Facility_Page_Header.jpg]
Football (Bobcat Stadium): A
Major renovation completed in 2012 brought capacity from 15,000 to 30,000 (with extra bleachers 33,000+).
Pros: Impressive press box, suites, and club seating, ribbon boards, concourse with a field view around the whole stadium, nice endzone complex with coaches offices/weight room/locker room (built in 05, renovated last year), two jumbotrons, new Bobcat Club/T-Association pavillion
Room for improvement: new turf needed in next few years, need to complete renovation on East side of stadium, huge demand for more suites, replace "chair backs" with real seats, replace the two jumbotrons with one large screen

[Image: Strahan_Coliseum_Web_Header.jpg]
Basketball (Strahan Coliseum): C
Major renovation needed (and rumored to be coming soon) to tear down THE WALL with (hopefully) suites.
Pros: nice concourse with glass wall view of park/river, 7200 capacity is plenty for foreseeable future, great location, close parking
Room for imprevement: tear down the wall, needs suites, needs new scoreboard over court, needs an overall facelift

[Image: Bobcat_Baseball_Park.jpg]
Baseball (Bobcat Ballpark): B+
Major renovation completed in 2009.
Pros: New scoreboard/jumbotron in 2013, nice pressbox with 4 suites, caboose suite, new batters eye wall, nice batting cages/bullpen, close parking
Room for improvement: need a baseball facility/locker room on-site, need to expand seating (currently seats 2,500 and we have a few games a year that are sold out), needs more suites
01-16-2015 01:30 PM
bobcat09 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Texas State
Bobcat Stadium (football): B. Would like to see the visitors side renovated with boxes and eventually bowled in, and the 2-toned turf is embarrassing. The home field side and new edition is nice and I like the upgrades of the field house.

Strahan Coliseum (basketball/volleyball): C. The wall has got to go. The tunnel needs upgrading and I wonder sometimes how bigger players manage the stairs from the locker rooms to the court. Locker rooms are nice and recently new video boards.

Bobcat Baseball/Softball Complex: B+. Love both stadiums with stadium seating for season-ticket holders and covered seating. Renovations to this 6 years ago made game experiences much more enjoyable. Edited this from an A to a B+ for the need of locker rooms on site. Thought this was in the works a couple years ago but I guess it never got done.
(This post was last modified: 01-16-2015 01:43 PM by bobcat09.)
01-16-2015 01:40 PM
Atlanta Trojan Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: TROY
Trojan arena A+
Perhaps the best in the SBC

[Image: Trojan_Arena_at_Troy_University.jpg]

[Image: 20121022-_DSC4292.jpg]

Veterans memorial. B

One of the best Stadiums in the SBC but its football operations building is near last...Once we upgrade it next year we will have the nicest

[Image: 800px-Movie_Gallery_Stadium.JPG]

Riddle Pace...B+

Very nice field. not the biggest but it fits our needs. nice sound system

[Image: Riddle-Pace.jpg]

[Image: 800px-Troy_University_baseball_2.JPG]
(This post was last modified: 01-16-2015 02:06 PM by Atlanta Trojan.)
01-16-2015 01:58 PM
bullitt_60 Offline
All American

(01-16-2015 01:17 PM)BurlingtonApp Wrote:  Holmes Convocation Center(Basketball): B-. Overall, a good size, decent facility. The outside looks incredible, but the concourses are frankly pretty ugly with the carpet. Atmosphere lacks a bit and could use a hanging scoreboard.

Holy crap, if Holmes is a B- we will have to find a new grading system for Hanner. Maybe 'incomplete'?

(01-16-2015 01:30 PM)tx.state Wrote:  [Image: Strahan_Coliseum_Web_Header.jpg]
Major renovation needed (and rumored to be coming soon) to tear down THE WALL with (hopefully) suites.
Pros: nice concourse with glass wall view of park/river, 7200 capacity is plenty for foreseeable future, great location, close parking
Room for imprevement: tear down the wall, needs suites, needs new scoreboard over court, needs an overall facelift

I asked this in another thread and didn't get an answer, but...

[Image: 72.jpg]
01-16-2015 02:03 PM
Advertisement

Atlanta Trojan Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: TROY
This is coming in 2016

[Image: TROYstadiumRNDR.jpg?0.5518241]
01-16-2015 02:08 PM
TroyFootball05 Offline
1987 Man of the Year

I Root For: Good Times
(01-16-2015 01:30 PM)tx.state Wrote:  [Image: Bobcat_Stadium_Facility_Page_Header.jpg]

A+. That is one nice ballhouse.
01-16-2015 02:16 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
trapdrawApp Offline
1st String

I Root For: Appalachian
(01-16-2015 01:17 PM)BurlingtonApp Wrote:  Kidd Brewer Stadium: B+. I'd give it an A for the home side, concessions and new renovations, but the track and erector set-like away side kills it.

Holmes Convocation Center(Basketball): B-. Overall, a good size, decent facility. The outside looks incredible, but the concourses are frankly pretty ugly with the carpet. Atmosphere lacks a bit and could use a hanging scoreboard.

Beaver Field at Jim and Bettie Smith Stadium: C+. Although it's a beautiful setting, it's location hurts a bit. Pretty remote part of campus. Really the thing that hurts App baseball is it being so damn cold for most of the season. Renovations are on the way.

The concourse is not carpet. It's our indoor track.
01-16-2015 02:27 PM
Bigtom12 Offline
1st String

I Root For: LOUISIANA
I think that the Cajun Dome is a top 25 facility when it comes to basketball.
A- Cajun Dome
[Image: GCS_Cajundome_004.jpg]

[Image: primary.jpg]
01-16-2015 02:29 PM
CatMom Offline
Getting Old Sucks!

I Root For: TXST
The stadium will be bowled in when it becomes necessary (attendance wise) 20K in a 45K stadium will look worse than the Louisiana game this year.

The baseball locker rooms/complex is awaiting $$$ from the school or a donation. I think Ty said the price tag is 8 million? They didn't do it initially because the guys on the team (at that time) wanted to keep the tradition of walking to the game (from the current facility) so they modified the master plan (if I am recalling all of this correctly.) The money they saved was spent elsewhere. I believe it will, eventually, go down the 3rd base line.

Strahan just needs to be "redone"

The soccer/la crosse fields could use some more bleachers but, otherwise, they're top notch.

T&F stadium is, what?, 3 yrs old. I have nothing to compare it to and I've never attended a meet there so I'm not one to justify a grade.
01-16-2015 02:29 PM
Advertisement

cannonballgsu Offline
Water Engineer

(01-16-2015 11:47 AM)GaSoEagle Wrote:  These ratings are to a large degree in comparison to other Sun Belt sports facilities.

For Ga. Southern here is how I would rate ours:

Football stadium: B-
I think our new football operations building is very nice and Paulson Stadium is adequate. The seats at Paulson are not very steep so in the lower bowl the height above the field level is not as high as many other stadiums, but the 2nd deck on the visitor side has great seats. Part of my B- rating is related to capacity. At 25,000 we need in the next few years to get capacity to 32-34,000.

Basketball: Hanner Fieldhouse: D
Our bball facitilty is probably the worst in the Sun Belt or at least in the bottom 2-3. Hate to agree with Cajun fans but it does look like a glorified high school gym. If there is a positive it is that when it is full or close to full it can be a big homecourt advantage. With capacity around 4800 it is small

Agree except Hanner. That's a straight up F.
01-16-2015 02:36 PM
Bigtom12 Offline
1st String

I Root For: LOUISIANA
I just wish we could be like Duke and be ranked in the top 10 and fill the Cajun dome with 12,000 a game.
01-16-2015 02:42 PM
slycat Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Texas State
(01-16-2015 02:03 PM)bullitt_60 Wrote:  
(01-16-2015 01:17 PM)BurlingtonApp Wrote:  Holmes Convocation Center(Basketball): B-. Overall, a good size, decent facility. The outside looks incredible, but the concourses are frankly pretty ugly with the carpet. Atmosphere lacks a bit and could use a hanging scoreboard.

Holy crap, if Holmes is a B- we will have to find a new grading system for Hanner. Maybe 'incomplete'?

(01-16-2015 01:30 PM)tx.state Wrote:  [Image: Strahan_Coliseum_Web_Header.jpg]

I asked this in another thread and didn't get an answer, but...

[Image: 72.jpg]

Nothing. Cut through that wall and you are outside. If you look at it from the outside it is concave. They just left one whole section out the complete oval and walled it up.
01-16-2015 02:50 PM
southern edumacation Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: GaSou
(01-16-2015 02:42 PM)Bigtom12 Wrote:  I just wish we could be like Duke and be ranked in the top 10 and fill the Cajun dome with 12,000 a game.

How many normally make it to a game in the cajun dome? That's a really nice facility.
01-16-2015 02:51 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.