How awesome would it be if we played them at home again
08-07-2014 11:42 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Mrs. Got Ribe Offline
1st String

I Root For: The Tribe
RE: 1984: W&M beats UVA at the buzzer
(08-07-2014 11:42 PM)Ryuzaki51 Wrote:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmmeLt2HS-Q

How awesome would it be if we played them at home again

Mr. Ribe was there! This was three weeks before we were married so I was home. I remember listening to the game on the radio...long before internet listening so it must have been a Charlottesville station.

We will get the hall rockin' again.
08-08-2014 08:06 AM
nogretheogre Offline
Lord of Bots & Tots

I Root For: William & Mary
I dig the oldschool floor paint scheme. It looks like the main parquet is painted/stained a golden brown to complement the green (could do without the pea green). We should return to this. Prefer the green center circle with the WM to the faintly visible yellow TRIBE script that we have now...of course the feathers certainly helped...
08-08-2014 10:54 AM
Ryuzaki51 Offline
Water Engineer

(08-08-2014 10:54 AM)nogretheogre Wrote:  I dig the oldschool floor paint scheme. It looks like the main parquet is painted/stained a golden brown to complement the green (could do without the pea green). We should return to this. Prefer the green center circle with the WM to the faintly visible yellow TRIBE script that we have now...of course the feathers certainly helped...

Yeah, the yellow doesn't work too well on the wood floor.

I know the College is consolidating the logo set to get a more consistent brand identity and it looks like the cypher is going to be the primary logo going forward-how awesome would that look on a court?!
08-09-2014 01:38 PM
zablenoise Online
Heisman

Re: RE: 1984: W&M beats UVA at the buzzer
(08-09-2014 01:38 PM)Ryuzaki51 Wrote:  
(08-08-2014 10:54 AM)nogretheogre Wrote:  I dig the oldschool floor paint scheme. It looks like the main parquet is painted/stained a golden brown to complement the green (could do without the pea green). We should return to this. Prefer the green center circle with the WM to the faintly visible yellow TRIBE script that we have now...of course the feathers certainly helped...

Yeah, the yellow doesn't work too well on the wood floor.

I know the College is consolidating the logo set to get a more consistent brand identity and it looks like the cypher is going to be the primary logo going forward-how awesome would that look on a court?!

Where have you heard this? It's exciting that the College wants to strengthen their brand.
08-09-2014 06:05 PM
BigTribe Offline
2nd String

Chances of UVA coming to Kaplan are slim...basically non-existent.

We've offered them three for one...three games at UVA for one home game here and
get laughed at. Offered the same deal to North Carolina and Georgetown with the same result.
08-09-2014 06:47 PM
Advertisement

nogretheogre Offline
Lord of Bots & Tots

(08-09-2014 06:47 PM)BigTribe Wrote:  Chances of UVA coming to Kaplan are slim...basically non-existent.

We've offered them three for one...three games at UVA for one home game here and
get laughed at. Offered the same deal to North Carolina and Georgetown with the same result.

If all goes well this season, maybe the laughing will cease.

Strengthening the brand was supposedly done when they decided on that awful W and upside down W (not M) logo with the tiny ampersand, replacing the block WM with or w/o feathers. The cypher was supposedly not going to be used for athletics. Would love to see it stretching across the whole parquet, but I dont think it will happen
08-10-2014 09:11 AM
62Indian Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: W&M
(08-10-2014 09:11 AM)nogretheogre Wrote:  
(08-09-2014 06:47 PM)BigTribe Wrote:  Chances of UVA coming to Kaplan are slim...basically non-existent.

Strengthening the brand was supposedly done when they decided on that awful W and upside down W (not M) logo with the tiny ampersand, replacing the block WM with or w/o feathers. The cypher was supposedly not going to be used for athletics. Would love to see it stretching across the whole parquet, but I dont think it will happen

Unfortunately, W&M is now "defined" by that stupid looking stuffed animal; "Griffin" - which appeals mostly to the under six year old demographic of the W&M Fan base.
08-10-2014 10:07 AM
zablenoise Online
Heisman

(08-10-2014 10:07 AM)62Indian Wrote:  
(08-10-2014 09:11 AM)nogretheogre Wrote:  

Unfortunately, W&M is now "defined" by that stupid looking stuffed animal; "Griffin" - which appeals mostly to the under six year old demographic of the W&M Fan base.

Agreed. I can't stand the Griffin. I'd rather not have a mascot than have that.
08-10-2014 11:24 AM
WMInTheBurg Offline
All American

Personally, I think the Griffin looks great. I've seen a lot of mascots that look worse, and based on the logo committee I was expecting worse. I'll buy 100 shirts/hats with the Griffin before I buy one with the upside-down M.
08-12-2014 06:30 AM
nogretheogre Offline
Lord of Bots & Tots

(08-12-2014 06:30 AM)TribeInTheBurg Wrote:  Personally, I think the Griffin looks great. I've seen a lot of mascots that look worse, and based on the logo committee I was expecting worse. I'll buy 100 shirts/hats with the Griffin before I buy one with the upside-down M.

If we ever develop a logo to include the Medieval Griffin (similar to below) and a WM or a script Tribe, I'd be down for it.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/co...riffin.svg

http://www.collierc.rugbynet.com.au/verv..._white.jpg
+
08-12-2014 06:44 AM
Advertisement

TribeNiner Offline
1st String

I Root For: Niners/WM/Hoyas
(08-12-2014 06:44 AM)nogretheogre Wrote:  
(08-12-2014 06:30 AM)TribeInTheBurg Wrote:  Personally, I think the Griffin looks great. I've seen a lot of mascots that look worse, and based on the logo committee I was expecting worse. I'll buy 100 shirts/hats with the Griffin before I buy one with the upside-down M.

If we ever develop a logo to include the Medieval Griffin (similar to below) and a WM or a script Tribe, I'd be down for it.

+

Alumni store has been doing some of that:

https://www.wmalumni.com/store/ViewProdu...id=1542921

https://www.wmalumni.com/store/ViewProdu...id=1542942

https://www.wmalumni.com/store/ViewProdu...id=1542900

And I agree- I'd love to see more of it. I've always been a fan of the cypher.
(This post was last modified: 08-12-2014 07:40 AM by TribeNiner.)
08-12-2014 07:39 AM
hktribefan Offline
1st String

I have a bowtie with the medieval griffin through the alumni shop, it looks great and I love it.
08-12-2014 08:26 AM
zablenoise Online
Heisman

+

I agree entirely. I still don't like the griffin as a mascot, but the cartoonish pantsless version that we currently have is particularly bad. I wish we would move towards something else.
08-12-2014 08:40 AM
wml33t Offline
1st String

I Root For: William and Mar
(08-12-2014 08:40 AM)zablenoise Wrote:  

+

I agree entirely. I still don't like the griffin as a mascot, but the cartoonish pantsless version that we currently have is particularly bad. I wish we would move towards something else.

I think people making the complaints about the Griffin are failing to recognize an important role for the Griffin.

I know many of us here are old codgers, but I think if you pay attention to how the kids react to the Griffin mascot your view will soften a bit. As part of the gameday experience, you should have something like the Griffin. To make the gameday experience an all-encompassing, family-drawing event - you need the Griffin, as well as other activities, that make kids want to be there.
08-12-2014 08:59 AM
mrjoolius Online
Hall of Famer

(08-12-2014 08:59 AM)wml33t Wrote:  

+

I think people making the complaints about the Griffin are failing to recognize an important role for the Griffin.

I know many of us here are old codgers, but I think if you pay attention to how the kids react to the Griffin mascot your view will soften a bit. As part of the gameday experience, you should have something like the Griffin. To make the gameday experience an all-encompassing, family-drawing event - you need the Griffin, as well as other activities, that make kids want to be there.

Totally off subject and I am showing my true geeky side, but it reminds me of the star wars movies argument. People that grew up with the original movies generally dislike the prequel movies and Jar Jar Binks (aka the pantsless griffin). The newer generation identify with the prequels and love Jar Jar.

OK, back to your regularly scheduled programming.
08-12-2014 11:01 AM
Advertisement

zablenoise Online
Heisman

(08-12-2014 08:59 AM)wml33t Wrote:  

+

I don't really have an issue with the actual physical mascot with the person in it. All on field mascots are kind of doofy looking and made to appeal to kids. But I don't understand why the logos the athletic department uses has a similarly cartoonish griffin. The lion ODU uses in their logos looks nothing like Big Blue running around on the field.
08-12-2014 11:58 AM
nogretheogre Offline
Lord of Bots & Tots

(08-12-2014 11:58 AM)zablenoise Wrote:  
(08-12-2014 08:59 AM)wml33t Wrote:  [quote='zablenoise' pid='10985601' dateline='1407850828']
[quote='nogretheogre' pid='10985336' dateline='1407843866']
[quote='TribeInTheBurg' pid='10985319' dateline='1407843052']

I don't really have an issue with the actual physical mascot with the person in it. All on field mascots are kind of doofy looking and made to appeal to kids. But I don't understand why the logos the athletic department uses has a similarly cartoonish griffin. The lion ODU uses in their logos looks nothing like Big Blue running around on the field.

+1

The Mascot version of the Griffin SHOULD NOT BE USED for all tshirts etc, except for kiddie versions. The Griffin can be serious.
08-12-2014 04:00 PM
Tribal Offline

The Griffin is useless...I mean, why in the world would we want to make the gameday experience fun for fans of all ages, engage youthful and budding Tribe fans, and encourage family participation? We should also get rid of the moonbounce while we're at it. Rotten children!

Posted from my mobile device using the CSNbbs App
(This post was last modified: 08-12-2014 04:29 PM by Tribal.)
08-12-2014 04:29 PM
zablenoise Online
Heisman

(08-12-2014 04:29 PM)Tribal Wrote:  The Griffin is useless...I mean, why in the world would we want to make the gameday experience fun for fans of all ages, engage youthful and budding Tribe fans, and encourage family participation? We should also get rid of the moonbounce while we're at it. Rotten children!

Posted from my mobile device using the CSNbbs App

Easy now, the moonbounce is fun for all ages
08-12-2014 04:51 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.