Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Troy, USA and Jax State fans
Bookmark and Share
Cougar King Offline
Banned

I Root For: Houston
Is Auburn the lesser of two evils or are they and Bama both equally rotten?
01-06-2014 04:56 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: So Alabama, GWU
RE: Troy, USA and Jax State fans
You are going to get legacy rivalry answers for the most part. Seeing as USA didn't have a FBS team until last year, pretty much every college football fan in Mobile, including those that would root for USA against Alabama and Auburn, still retain some loyalty to the team, either Alabama or Auburn, that they rooted for prior to USA having a team.

I'm an Auburn fan. And I don't have a problem with rooting for them tonight. I'd root for USA against them though.

I also don't like Saban, the extremist Alabama fans (most of them have no tie to Alabama, and couldn't pass a college level class if they tried - I'm not talking about Alabama alumni with this critique). Alabama has a particularly repulsive environment on campus, which is largely tied to the fact that the school is run for the benefit of the football team and the Greek System (a racist and entitled bunch, that controls the school like some sort of Alpha Beta in Revenge of the Nerds caricature - by the way I'm Greek, but the system at UA is really rotten). They claim unearned national championships without merit. About 75% of the population of Alabama roots for Alabama.

The Alabama fans will likely call Auburn fans uncultured (ignoring the fact that Auburn has higher entrance requirements and scores for its students), fans of a team that cheats (Alabama and Auburn have both been busted for it), and simply jealous of Alabama's success.

I don't think USA has any particular beef with either program, other than the fact that neither will schedule USA in football.
01-06-2014 05:09 PM
Usajags Online
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: South Alabama
(01-06-2014 05:09 PM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  You are going to get legacy rivalry answers for the most part. Seeing as USA didn't have a FBS team until last year, pretty much every college football fan in Mobile, including those that would root for USA against Alabama and Auburn, still retain some loyalty to the team, either Alabama or Auburn, that they rooted for prior to USA having a team.

I'm an Auburn fan. And I don't have a problem with rooting for them tonight. I'd root for USA against them though.

I also don't like Saban, the extremist Alabama fans (most of them have no tie to Alabama, and couldn't pass a college level class if they tried - I'm not talking about Alabama alumni with this critique). Alabama has a particularly repulsive environment on campus, which is largely tied to the fact that the school is run for the benefit of the football team and the Greek System (a racist and entitled bunch, that controls the school like some sort of Alpha Beta in Revenge of the Nerds caricature - by the way I'm Greek, but the system at UA is really rotten). They claim unearned national championships without merit. About 75% of the population of Alabama roots for Alabama.

The Alabama fans will likely call Auburn fans uncultured (ignoring the fact that Auburn has higher entrance requirements and scores for its students), fans of a team that cheats (Alabama and Auburn have both been busted for it), and simply jealous of Alabama's success.

I don't think USA has any particular beef with either program, other than the fact that neither will schedule USA in football.

What Tom said, but the complete opposite. Grew up a Bama fan in football, but South for everything else. Now that we got football, I'm South all the way but still root for Bama. I will root for AU tonight, it's that in state thing. Even though the longer that AU and UA keep winning all the NC's, just makes it that much harder for USA to get that real foothold in the football world in this state.
01-06-2014 05:20 PM
cleburneslim Offline
1st String

I Root For: jax state
Yes auburn is the lesser of two evils auburn will and do play jsu in multiple sports including football.
Ua will not play any of us in football they would rather spend their dollars in ga or elsewhere I know they have play ga St and ga so. It all stems from a fear they may lose a fan/dollars to an in state school. The only reason they resumed play against auburn was because they were forced to.
01-06-2014 05:23 PM
Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: So Alabama, GWU
(01-06-2014 05:20 PM)Usajags Wrote:  
(01-06-2014 05:09 PM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  You are going to get legacy rivalry answers for the most part. Seeing as USA didn't have a FBS team until last year, pretty much every college football fan in Mobile, including those that would root for USA against Alabama and Auburn, still retain some loyalty to the team, either Alabama or Auburn, that they rooted for prior to USA having a team.

What Tom said, but the complete opposite. Grew up a Bama fan in football, but South for everything else. Now that we got football, I'm South all the way but still root for Bama. I will root for AU tonight, it's that in state thing. Even though the longer that AU and UA keep winning all the NC's, just makes it that much harder for USA to get that real foothold in the football world in this state.

I don't think Alabama and Auburn playing at that level hurts USA as much as you think. Here's why

1) It solidifies the state as a college football hotbed to an extent not seen anywhere else. Brazil in soccer = the state of Alabama for college football. And that results in more talent coming out of the high schools. Which means more and better local recruits for USA.

2) It helps focus the population on college football. Absent Alabama and Auburn being so strong, Alabama during football season would be hunting season. People pay attention to college football, which leaves an opening for USA. The passion for college football in Alabama is the reason why USA has a team in the first place.

Alabama and Auburn are a much bigger problem for Troy, UAB, and Jax State than for USA. USA is so far geographically removed from both of them that we can get recruits that wish to stay in the area.
(This post was last modified: 01-06-2014 05:29 PM by Tom in Lazybrook.)
01-06-2014 05:27 PM
HCJag Offline
All American

I don't hate any school, it's the fans. And with hundreds of thousands of fans come the stupid people. UA has more of the stupid people fans, most of who have no affiliation with the school whatsoever. There's nothing wrong with pulling for a team whose school you have no affiliation with, but at least do so in moderation. I'm not saying Auburn doesn't have their fair share of blank faced knuckledraggers, Alabama just has more. I could also take Tom's third paragraph and apply it directly to AU. There's some very unflattering stories (and pics) of some of the fraternity happenings at Auburn. Then again that's probably everywhere. My dad went to UA so I naturally grew up a fan during the Bear days. Needless to say, UA and AU dominate sports in AL and from the day you can crawl you're expected to take a side. It's rediculous. When I tell them I'm a Jag fan they look at me like I fell out of the sky. Thank you USA for giving me another option. That said, I'm pulling for FSU and probably would be even if UA had won the Iron Bowl.
01-06-2014 05:43 PM
Advertisement

chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
The number of uneducated Bama fans that I run into in Mobile during bowl week is very high. I don't have near that issue with Auburn fans I have run into.

Bama fans are a lot like what ASU deals with Razorback fans. The vast majority are uneducated, or got their education at another in state school because they didn't have the grades to get into Arkansas. The graduates of the school are far easier to get along with than the rest of the fan base.
01-06-2014 05:44 PM
jag313 Offline
Bench Warmer

(01-06-2014 05:44 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  The number of uneducated Bama fans that I run into in Mobile during bowl week is very high. I don't have near that issue with Auburn fans I have run into.

Bama fans are a lot like what ASU deals with Razorback fans. The vast majority are uneducated, or got their education at another in state school because they didn't have the grades to get into Arkansas. The graduates of the school are far easier to get along with than the rest of the fan base.

^THIS

Personally I would like to see Auburn win tonight but it is not going to alter my life in the least one way or another. Turns out I still have to go to work regardless tomorrow either way......07-coffee3
01-06-2014 06:26 PM
Gemofthehills Offline
All American

I Root For: JSU
JSU fan only
Seems everyone else including alums of every other state school likes one of the two.

UAT and Auburn hurt our state in many ways. Restricting universities in their offer of majors and graduate degrees is one of many but I quit before I bore everyone.
01-06-2014 07:47 PM
Atlanta Trojan Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: TROY
(01-06-2014 04:56 PM)Cougar King Wrote:  Is Auburn the lesser of two evils or are they and Bama both equally rotten?

Hate them about the same... But probably Auburn more so cause if their proximity to Troy and they have taken coaches from us over the years.
01-06-2014 07:59 PM
USACoN2012 Offline
1st String

There are so many Alabama fans that couldn't find Tuscaloosa on a map, much less the highway, yet somehow they are superior human beings because they choose to love Alabama football. Note that I said football, because these types don't have a clue who the basketball coach or university president are.

Auburn fans are an unusual bunch. Many of them spend their lives trying to proved how terrible Alabama is and never actually enjoy Auburn's success. Others spend their lives complaining that every official and every television commentator ever created has some sort of vendetta against the Tigers.

Gun to my head, I'd probably rather be locked in a room with Auburn fans, but I might just tell them to pull the trigger.
01-06-2014 08:32 PM
Advertisement

USACoN2012 Offline
1st String

(01-06-2014 05:44 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  The graduates of the school are far easier to get along with than the rest of the fan base.

I agree, but this is becoming less and less true with younger alums. I think some of it is societal and some has to do with these so called "sidewalk" alums sending their kids to the University.
01-06-2014 08:34 PM
cleburneslim Offline
1st String

I Root For: jax state
(01-06-2014 05:44 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  The number of uneducated Bama fans that I run into in Mobile during bowl week is very high. I don't have near that issue with Auburn fans I have run into.

Grades is not an issue at bama they are not selective.
(This post was last modified: 01-06-2014 09:28 PM by cleburneslim.)
01-06-2014 09:24 PM
HCJag Offline
All American

Gotta say, the only time I've seen FSU play this year were on the highlight films. They don't have many in this game yet. They're getting absolutely dominated. Bah.
01-06-2014 09:50 PM
Usajags Online
Sun Belt Nationalist

FSU is looking a lot like an ACC team and Auburn is looking a lot like a SEC team. Fake punt might put some excitement back into this game.
01-06-2014 09:58 PM
Gemofthehills Offline
All American

I Root For: JSU
(01-06-2014 09:24 PM)cleburneslim Wrote:  

Grades is not an issue at bama they are not selective.

UAT is the easiest university to be admitted to in Alabama, this include junior colleges. The quest is 50,000 students.
01-07-2014 04:43 PM
Advertisement

chargeradio Offline
Vamos Morados

I Root For: ALA, KY, USA
(01-06-2014 07:47 PM)Gemofthehills Wrote:  JSU fan only
Seems everyone else including alums of every other state school likes one of the two.

UAT and Auburn hurt our state in many ways. Restricting universities in their offer of majors and graduate degrees is one of many but I quit before I bore everyone.

Auburn had been worse to USA in that regards (my father retired from USA and had to defend proposed new programs before the Alabama Commission on Higher Education as part of his job).
01-09-2014 08:11 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
JagsPhan Offline
Water Engineer

There are more Alabama fans than Auburn fans, but relatively speaking the percentage of bad Auburn fans is higher than that of bad Alabama fans.
01-09-2014 08:54 PM
Pounce FTW Offline
All American

I Root For: GSU - MU - AU
Every Alabama fan is a jerk except for a few of them who are my friends. Almost all Auburn fans are awesome. For example, my wife.

My honest and unbiased opinion.
01-09-2014 10:28 PM
JoeJag Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

(01-06-2014 04:56 PM)Cougar King Wrote:  Is Auburn the lesser of two evils or are they and Bama both equally rotten?

Auburn is the more rotten.
01-10-2014 01:06 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.