Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Houston Bowl
TopCoog Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Houston Bowl
looks like Bob McNair and others are stepping up to the plate to save the houston bowl. Local media reporting the game will be a CUSA vs Big 12 match up. You'll see the Coogs in the game often in order to boost the bowl locally. The Bluebonnet bowl did the same thing in the 70's.
06-16-2006 09:10 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Maize Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Athletes First
Re: Houston Bowl
TopCoog Wrote:looks like Bob McNair and others are stepping up to the plate to save the houston bowl. Local media reporting the game will be a CUSA vs Big 12 match up. You'll see the Coogs in the game often in order to boost the bowl locally. The Bluebonnet bowl did the same thing in the 70's.

That cool, we will still be in the mix and it helps us in the Car Care with the Big XII not having to go after the Poinsettia Bowl.

Just wonder if Louisville, WVU or Notre Dame slip to that spot what would happen. 05-stirthepot
06-16-2006 09:34 AM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia

I figure the bowl will invite which ever team it feels will draw the most fans to Houston. It makes sense.
06-16-2006 09:37 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
KnightLight Offline
Legend

I Root For: UCF
Re: Houston Bowl
TopCoog Wrote:looks like Bob McNair and others are stepping up to the plate to save the houston bowl. Local media reporting the game will be a CUSA vs Big 12 match up. You'll see the Coogs in the game often in order to boost the bowl locally. The Bluebonnet bowl did the same thing in the 70's.

Houston Bowl also needs a Big 12 Team from Texas/Oklahoma.

Throw in Houston (or like team)....that's how they might generate local interest.

KL

PS. Haven't look at Baylor's schedule...but if they go 6-6...they or Texas Tech might be good "lTX" teams.

Baylor hasn't gone Bowling since '94...and have had 10 straight losing seasons...even though they improved to 5-6 last year.
06-16-2006 10:16 AM
Jackson1011 Offline

I Root For:

Quote:Local media reporting the game will be a CUSA vs Big 12 match up. You'll see the Coogs in the game often in order to boost the bowl locally.

-- Doesn't the BE have a contract with the Houston Bowl to be the big 12s primary opponet?

Jackson
06-16-2006 11:43 AM
gdayre Offline
All American

I Root For:

I ask the same question on the cusa board . never got a response on it.
06-16-2006 12:09 PM
Advertisement

Cubanbull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:

of course you wont. you are asking important questions that break their fantasy.
06-16-2006 01:25 PM
HiddenDragon Offline
Banned

I Root For:
BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award

gdayre Wrote:I ask the same question on the cusa board . never got a response on it.

You asked if the BE had a contract with the Houston Bowl on the CUSA Board and didn't get a response? Go figure.

01-wingedeagle
06-16-2006 02:34 PM
templefootballfan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: TU & BGSU & TEX

B-E must have steped aside for bowl to survive & accepted aliance. B-12 is gonna struggle to get 9 schools eligable with 2 BCS bids. Every so often C-USA will come up short.
06-16-2006 04:16 PM
Krocker Krapp Offline
Number 1 Starter

I Root For: RU, SJU, UConn
Bowl Stolen Away
So, basically, CUSA has stolen the Houston Bowl from the Big East? This is ridiculous. I wish the freaking game had died. Fine. Screw the Big 12 and screw CUSA too. Now is the time to make a push for starting a Tampa Bowl.

We can try to get Big Ten #8 as the opponent so it is still a BCS team. With the new 12 game schedule, it is possible for the Big Ten to get eight bowl eligible teams. I am so sick of our teams getting screwed over in this way.

I don't want anything to do with a freaking Houston Bowl alliance. If we can't have it to ourselves then we need to just let it go. It is bad enough we have to split the Gator and Sun and deal with Navy getting a Car Care Bowl.
06-16-2006 04:55 PM
goodknightfl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:

HiddenDragon Wrote:
gdayre Wrote:I ask the same question on the cusa board . never got a response on it.

You asked if the BE had a contract with the Houston Bowl on the CUSA Board and didn't get a response? Go figure.

01-wingedeagle

He just stated what he heard on TV. I wondered the same thing.. Not a knock on the BE but never understood why houston would sign with U as a first choice to begin with.. very few be schools would have traveled well to this bowl... and wouldnt have brought out any locals.. with 4 tex teams and tulsa CUSA makes much more sense.
06-16-2006 05:02 PM
Advertisement

bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia

So with Texas being the home of the BU$H family, and Houston being in Texas, I guess we could call this bowl game the BU$H League Bowl. lmfao
06-16-2006 05:10 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Krocker Krapp Offline
Number 1 Starter

I Root For: RU, SJU, UConn
Three Letters
goodknightfl Wrote:He just stated what he heard on TV. I wondered the same thing.. Not a knock on the BE but never understood why houston would sign with U as a first choice to begin with.. very few be schools would have traveled well to this bowl... and wouldnt have brought out any locals.. with 4 tex teams and tulsa CUSA makes much more sense.
They wanted two BCS conferences. They did not care who. All they knew was that they wanted those three letters. The fact that they can't even pay their bills should tell you that they are not exactly the brightest bulbs in the light shop.

I want us completely out of this nonsense. Time to go back to the drawing board. Screw the Big 12. Screw CUSA. Go rot in Houston together. We don't need you. Eat the loss this year and get Tampa set up for next year with the Big Ten.
06-16-2006 05:15 PM
gdayre Offline
All American

I Root For:

Well, dont shoot the messenger, but that tampa bowl or whatever you calling it. I was talking to a relative, who goes to an acc school, told me that( on campus rumor) the acc is pushing for this bowl against CUSA vs ACC. They want this for one reason only, to have one more bowl game than the sec. Now I know for sure that the ACC contacted the liberty bowl first when the announcement was made about re-alignment (it was told on the news that they were the first to contact us about this). I ask how long this rumor has been going on? He said all year. He also made the commit that it is just a matter of time before this happens. He said they are trying to get this set up for when they open their new stadium everything will be in place for this to start. AGAIN THIS IS JUST A RUMOR FROM AN ACC FAN. DONT SHOOT THE MESSENGER.
06-17-2006 08:20 AM
TopCoog Offline
Heisman

I Root For:

Big 12 vs CUSA is the best possible match up for the Houston Bowl at this time. They can get something like a

USM vs A&M, UH vs Tech, Okie St vs memphis etc. These kinds of games have the greatest appeal here for the money they are paying, or not paying.
06-17-2006 08:50 AM
The Knight Time Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Re: Bowl Stolen Away
Krocker Krapp Wrote:So, basically, CUSA has stolen the Houston Bowl from the Big East? This is ridiculous. I wish the freaking game had died. Fine. Screw the Big 12 and screw CUSA too. Now is the time to make a push for starting a Tampa Bowl.

We can try to get Big Ten #8 as the opponent so it is still a BCS team. With the new 12 game schedule, it is possible for the Big Ten to get eight bowl eligible teams. I am so sick of our teams getting screwed over in this way.

I don't want anything to do with a freaking Houston Bowl alliance. If we can't have it to ourselves then we need to just let it go. It is bad enough we have to split the Gator and Sun and deal with Navy getting a Car Care Bowl.

My friend, have a beer!
06-17-2006 09:39 AM
Advertisement

Cubanbull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:

I dont see how people get in a depressed mood after a Bowl thats not even certain to go on, that cant even pay a minimun amount and where no links to any news at these new arrangement has come up.
06-17-2006 10:27 AM
The Knight Time Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:

Cubanbull Wrote:I dont see how people get in a depressed mood after a Bowl thats not even certain to go on, that cant even pay a minimun amount and where no links to any news at these new arrangement has come up.

It's been on multiple Houston news stations- and payout or not it's still exposure and a post season date for one team that may not have gone before.

And who knows- the new sponsor may inject some more money for payouts into it.
06-17-2006 10:31 AM
Cubanbull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:

Well we will see what happens since they had a contract that also included the Big East. I agree is some exposure but a a minor Bowl it will not make or break the league.
What the Big East should be doing is getting start up bowls in the east coast like in St Pete or Tampa.
But at the end of the day who goes or wins the Houston Bowl would not amount to much in the leagues image or amount of Bowl revenue.
06-17-2006 10:34 AM
The Knight Time Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:

Cubanbull Wrote:Well we will see what happens since they had a contract that also included the Big East. I agree is some exposure but a a minor Bowl it will not make or break the league.
What the Big East should be doing is getting start up bowls in the east coast like in St Pete or Tampa.
But at the end of the day who goes or wins the Houston Bowl would not amount to much in the leagues image or amount of Bowl revenue.

Maybe not, but it's not boding well for the BE that over the past 2 weeks you've potentially lost 2 bowl slots that were supposed to be wrapped up.

And let's be honest- besides the BCS Champ. game nobody really remembers who won what bowl besides the teams fans' involved.
06-17-2006 10:37 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.